PDA

View Full Version : Plez help me

Wacko324
01-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I am on a rookie team and no one is very good at electrical and programing. So I got stuck with them. Can anyone tell me how I hook a switch board up to one of the ports of the OI?

Rickertsen2
01-18-2004, 09:01 PM
I am on a rookie team and no one is very good at electrical and programing. So I got stuck with them. Can anyone tell me how I hook a switch board up to one of the ports of the OI?
Sure, but please elaborate on what you mean by "switchboard".

KenWittlief
01-18-2004, 09:11 PM
I dont know if you are aware of this, but there is complete documentation on the OI and the RC on the innovationFirst website - I snarfed this text from the operator interface reference guide:

inputs as PORT 1, allowing access to 8 digital inputs from PORT 4. To utilize these inputs, wire buttons
or switches between the desired digital input signal pin and any ground pin. A digital input senses a
connection to ground to become active. Do not connect switches or digital inputs to 5V. Do not use
lighted switches.

so basically is you want to add more switches (switchbox) to the OI - you connec them between the digital input pins and the ground pin - see the table in the reference guide to see which pins correspond to which variable bits in the default code.

the full documenation is here:

http://www.innovationfirst.com/FIRSTRobotics/documentation.htm

- Ken W - Sparkie engineer on team 578

Wacko324
01-19-2004, 10:14 AM
I didn't know they had documentation of the OI. That really helps, thanks.

The Lucas
01-23-2004, 02:31 AM
Do not forget to use the disable dipswith on the bottom of the OI if you need more digital switches on port 2 or port 4 (the pins that say "same as" some other switches). Its use is detailed on the page 17 of the OI Guide (http://www.innovationfirst.com/FIRSTRobotics/pdfs/FR-2004-OI_Ref_Guide_2003-12-19.pdf)

Wacko324
01-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Don't worry I finished reading up on the OI and Robot Controller the past week. So I got those down now. So I am alright with the OI. Sadly I am still shaky on the programing.

P.S. I am doing a little rewiring of the electric system you helped us start, so it can fit in a smaller space.

Ryan M.
01-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Sadly I am still shaky on the programing.
Well, post to the programming forum here. There are lots of people willing to help. :)

FIRST should supply better documentation on the programming of the RC. I'm on a rookie team, but I know C/C++ (and Java and Visual Basic :D) so I managed to figure it out. But for someone with no programming experience, I can see how it would be hard.

The Lucas
01-26-2004, 01:48 PM
I didn't notice until a second ago, but you are on team 1495 (Avon Grove) the team I am mentoring (I guess I was a little tired when I posted, I skiied really hard that day because it was my birthday). Is this Matt? How did the rewiring go? Don't worry about the programming right now. I'm back from my week vaction skiing Vail, Colorado and I'll be at your next meeting (as soon as it stops snowing and Avon Grove actually has school). I'll teach you all you need to know about the program then.

Wacko324
01-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Yup this is "Miracle Matt". The rewiring went really well we have all the main electrical components mounted to the board and are ready to hook everything up when we get back in school.