PDA

View Full Version : Piston throw control

Mr. Ivey
02-10-2004, 06:22 PM
I was just wondering if any team had tried to control the amount of throw in a piston, like stoppint it 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of the way through it's stroke. I believe it is possible, just like in a hydrolic system on a piece of heavy machinery, but I am having some troubles actually making it happen. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.
Ivey

Rickertsen2
02-10-2004, 06:25 PM
I was just wondering if any team had tried to control the amount of throw in a piston, like stoppint it 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of the way through it's stroke. I believe it is possible, just like in a hydrolic system on a piece of heavy machinery, but I am having some troubles actually making it happen. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.
Ivey
This is common in industry, only with a different type of valve. There is a giamongous thread o nthis topic. I'm sure you can find it.

Rob Colatutto
02-10-2004, 06:25 PM
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23934&highlight=pneumatics
This thread has much on the subject and yes it is possible with our parts. 263 has done it on 01 and 03.

ngreen
02-10-2004, 06:48 PM
And 1108 did it in 2003 with our arms. I lay out how to put the system together several times in that thread and there is much discussion on issues involved with it.

Rhs953
02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Its practically impossible to do. Its either all or nothing.

ngreen
02-10-2004, 08:08 PM

Read posted thread. It is possible. I've done it. It works well.

edit: Sorry, that might be harsh. By routing the exhaust of a double solenoid you can do more things like controlling the throw of the piston. By switching between atmosphere and a stop on a single solenoid you control the piston. I've put diagrams and pictures up in the other thread. Look there for the details.

KenWittlief
02-10-2004, 09:05 PM

the impossible - thats what engineers do every day, turn the impossible into something we end up taking for granted :^)

alexrobotics
02-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Our team is trying to do something similar with an arm and it must be fairly acute b/c we are trying to use the pneumatics to position the multiplier ball.
I have looked through the other thread and I was wondering if anyone has some great up close pictures that make a multi-position arm without a lot of programming.

ngreen
02-13-2004, 01:17 PM
The minimal amount of programming is a on/off switch for the single solenoid and a extended/retracted switch for the double solenoid. You can do this manually for practice. Choose the direction you want extend/retract and then turn on the single to move and turn off to stop where you want. Slow movements down by using the needle valves on the cyclinder and closing them all the way and then slightly opening them.

sirbleedsalot
02-13-2004, 09:39 PM
If you want it to stop in the same place all the time just take a piece of pipe and cut it to the right length and then slide it onto the shaft

Mr. Ivey
02-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Or I could just buy the SMC "off the shelf" three stage solenoid...
ivey

pras870
02-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Actually, if you follow the flow chart, you cannot use any off the shelf solenoids.

Electronics (yes) -> Is the part a motor, solenoid, pump, or other actuator? (yes) -> No, it may not be used.