PDA

View Full Version : Additional Parts Required for the Control System??

Tom Fairchild
02-15-2002, 01:02 PM
Can parts not on the additional parts list be used for the control system? I'm not talking about putting a laptop into the inputs (big no-no that's already in the manual) but what about building a control box out of acrylic? I already made one and can easily rebuild in lexan, but I don't want to if I don't have to. The control system is not a part of the actual robot persay, but does it fall under those quidlines? I would really appreciate any help that people can offer.

~Tom Fairchild~, who's been busy as all heck working on the 'bot this year

Joe Ross
02-16-2002, 10:28 PM
The parts on the Operator Interface are not limited.

Katie Reynolds
02-17-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Tom Fairchild
...what about building a control box out of acrylic? I already made one and can easily rebuild in lexan, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

... the project box has to be either almond, black or gray and I'm pretty sure your best bet is to buy one from BUD Industries (If you look on the inspection list from Update #7, the custom circuit board must be contained in a BUD Industries box... something I didn't see before). I know the box has to be one of the aforementioned colors, but I'm not sure if you are allowed to manufacture your own controls box... can anyone else help?

- Katie

Nate Smith
02-17-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by FIRSTAE2004

... the project box has to be either almond, black or gray and I'm pretty sure your best bet is to buy one from BUD Industries (If you look on the inspection list from Update #7, the custom circuit board must be contained in a BUD Industries box... something I didn't see before). I know the box has to be one of the aforementioned colors, but I'm not sure if you are allowed to manufacture your own controls box... can anyone else help?

- Katie

Just for clarification, I think we're talking about two different types of boxes here. The original post, at least by my reading, was referring to the construction of the operator interface controls, which historically have not been limited in structural materials as the robot is. The "project box" referred to above is in regards to the custom circuit board on the robot, for which they have specified a particular box they want you to use...

Katie Reynolds
02-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Nate Smith

Just for clarification, I think we're talking about two different types of boxes here. The original post, at least by my reading, was referring to the construction of the operator interface controls, which historically have not been limited in structural materials as the robot is. The "project box" referred to above is in regards to the custom circuit board on the robot, for which they have specified a particular box they want you to use...

Ah ha - I see. Ok yea... then use whatever you want - it's not limited! :D

- Katie