PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Chief Delphi Web Hug in Atlanta

Brandon Martus
03-23-2004, 09:55 PM
It's that time again. Time for everybody to come face to face and get out from behind those monitors, keyboards, and hundreds of miles of Internet.

What: 2004 Chief Delphi Web Hug
When: Thursday, 12:00 Noon
Where: Near the entrance to the Georgia World Congress Center, Hall B.
Who: You have a forum account? You're invited.

We will give a quick hello, let people meet & greet, maybe hand out some forum-based awards, etc. Shouldn't take up too much time. Keep an eye out for an exact location.

If you don't know what the Web Hug is, and want to read about previous years, see these threads:

2003 (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19785)
2002 (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3517&highlight=web+hug)
2001 (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13516)

Ian W.
03-23-2004, 11:02 PM
I've fallen somewhat from my position as a Top Ten Poster from two years ago...

It's funny, cause I had only been posting since about January when I got that, or something like that.

Anyways, the webhugs are always fun, I've sort of had some of my own mini ones over the past weekend, finding random CD people at SBPLI, and I plan to do the same this weekend at Drexel :-). It's always cool to meet new people.

Can't wait, 21 days :-D!

Katie Reynolds
03-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Awwww ... I had so much fun last year - sorry I won't be able to make the '04 web hug! :(

Make sure there are lots of pictures taken and let those of us who can't be there know how it went!!!

Jessica Boucher
03-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Wish I could go...but I have a huge paper on the NYSE due as well as Sigma Kappa stuff that entire week...

...maybe I'll just send my love in the form of cookies :D

[nx]01
03-24-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm assuming this is at the Nationals...if so, I'll be there...even though I'm a newbie!

D.J. Fluck
03-24-2004, 01:46 PM
I missed it last year because we were at the noon practice match...heh that was the match where Im lined up on the human player pad and Austin, our driver is down on the other side of the field hooking up the controls to the wrong allience station...whoops.

"So you guys have a robot and a human player....do you also have a set of drivers?" FIRST Field Crew Guy. :ahh:

Anyway, I'll be there this year :D

Adam Y.
03-24-2004, 02:46 PM
I've fallen somewhat from my position as a Top Ten Poster from two years ago...

It's funny, cause I had only been posting since about January when I got that, or something like that.

Anyways, the webhugs are always fun, I've sort of had some of my own mini ones over the past weekend, finding random CD people at SBPLI, and I plan to do the same this weekend at Drexel :-). It's always cool to meet new people.

Can't wait, 21 days :-D!
Actually I think I found you on thursday of the SBPLI. Were you the person who answered our question about the umbrella programing.

Elgin Clock
03-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Wish I could go...but I have a huge paper on the NYSE due as well as Sigma Kappa stuff that entire week...

...maybe I'll just send my love in the form of cookies :D
I'll make sure the cookies get there... ;) :D

Scott Shaw 237
03-24-2004, 05:53 PM
I'll make sure the cookies get there... ;) :D

Not if i get to them. ;) LOL.

Amanda Morrison
03-24-2004, 11:20 PM
I've never been to a webhug, and am looking forward to meeting everyone!

(Someone had better just find me and remind me to come, I'm kinda ditzy like that) :)

Tytus Gerrish
03-25-2004, 06:30 PM
oh boy!

Elgin Clock
03-26-2004, 04:02 AM
Hey Brandon: Mike, and the rest of the CD team,

Since the Webhug is tentatively scheduled at noon on Thursday and the conferences that FIRST have start at 1:00, maybe we can have it in the same general area as the conferences will be?

The last time I went to a webhug, we were done in well under an hour. That should give more than enough time for us to do our thing, and then have the conferences come in to start.

Unless, you wanted to have the webhug in the open somewhere, but I know in previous years that when we were in the general area, that we had to do some yelling to make announcements and what not.

It's all your choice I guess, I just wanted to offer a proposal for a location.

Wherever it is, I'll be sure to be there!

Jeremy Roberts
03-27-2004, 06:14 PM
I would like to suggest a location for the venue. It is a really nice spot right next to the Dome (between the Dome and building C of the GWCC). It is beautiful grassy area, perfect for hanging out, meeting people and relaxing. I think this might be where FIRST is placing the picture area for teams. Unfortunatly I could not find a picture to post, but the location can be seen in the link below right about where #5 is.

http://www.gwcc.com/images/gwccmap.pdf

Just a thought. I look forward to seeing everyone.

Ian W.
03-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Actually I think I found you on thursday of the SBPLI. Were you the person who answered our question about the umbrella programing.
Yes, that was me, although I'm not sure if I helped you guys much at all :p.

I had a similar run in with Dave from 222 today, he dropped a limit switch off in our pits, I didn't realize it was him or him me though, and that was that.

Ryan Albright
04-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Yay i cant wait, i have been looking forward to this thing for awhile i wil def be there

Ricky Q.
04-01-2004, 08:02 PM
I've never been to a webhug, and am looking forward to meeting everyone!

(Someone had better just find me and remind me to come, I'm kinda ditzy like that) :)Amanda Morrison ditzy? Say it ain't so! :p

(Now I definetley can't goto the WebHug, she already wants me dead)

I will try and be there, practice match schedule permitting.

Steve Horn
04-01-2004, 09:17 PM
I will also try to be there. Hopefully I don't have a practice match then so I can come.

Gary Dillard
04-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Is anyone interested in putting together a web hug scavenger hunt for an icebreaker? A list of stuff related to the Forums and a place for signatures, like:

1) Someone from team 111
2) Someone who has ridden a Segway
3) Someone who has played hacky sack with Andy Baker
4) Someone who has posted a Haiku in the Chit Chat Forum
5) The Real JVN

etc. - can't use the same person for more than one answer.

Elgin Clock
04-02-2004, 07:14 PM
5) The Real JVN

Will the Real JVN please stand up, please stand up?

Mike Schroeder
04-03-2004, 09:00 PM
can i take the hug thing seriously and get some bear hugging done?:p

Elgin Clock
04-03-2004, 10:27 PM
can i take the hug thing seriously and get some bear hugging done?:p
Obviously you have never been to a CD webhug before. In 2002, we all got together in a big circle and made a hugging motion towards the center, which is why we call it a webhug and not a forum gathering or something else as random as that.

Can't find any pics of the "hugging part" in the CD galleries, but trust me.. it happens.

Matt Leese
04-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Obviously you have never been to a CD webhug before. In 2002, we all got together in a big circle and made a hugging motion towards the center, which is why we call it a webhug and not a forum gathering or something else as random as that.

Can't find any pics of the "hugging part" in the CD galleries, but trust me.. it happens.
There's been hugging at all the web hugs I've been to (all but the first one in 1999). We haven't done introductions in a number of years which I think was nice but I suspect it would take too long (maybe we can try anyway?).

Matt

Jessica Boucher
04-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Pics of 2002 Hugging...just scroll down a bit. (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?s=&galleryid=34&perrow=4&trows=10&quiet=Verbose&direction=DESC&sort=date)

Ryan Dognaux
04-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Made an appearance last year, it was pretty cool. Plan to again if I'm not scouting.

Eugenia Gabrielov
04-05-2004, 07:52 PM
I have been told that I may have a spot given to me on my team's national list, which is fabulous. If I do go, I will be in there hugging everyone ^^. Many of you have probably met me...I dispensed hugs like a free vending machine at the MWR.

Mike Schroeder
04-05-2004, 07:54 PM

Can't find any pics of the "hugging part" in the CD galleries, but trust me.. it happens. oh i have been to a web hug before, i went to last years, but ya see my hugs are of the bone crusing rib breaking kinds :p just ask the people in my sig :p

plots more names to add to the list bwhahahahahaha :yikes:

Eugenia Gabrielov
04-05-2004, 08:44 PM
The more hugs the merrier. Everyone should give hugs. ALL THE TIME! *grin*
I'll volunteer to wear a sign and advertise the web hug!

Brandon Martus
04-07-2004, 08:06 AM
We now have a location picked out.

Since some of the FIRST conferences start at 1pm, we figured we would have the web hug near that location so that people aren't late to any conferences they are attending.

Location: Near the entrance to the Georgia World Congress Center, Hall B.

Elgin Clock
04-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Brandon,

Here is a map I found of the complex..
http://www.gwcc.com/images/gwccmap.pdf

Where exactly is it?

Wetzel
04-07-2004, 03:35 PM
The building labeled B is the building where the confrences will be held. I would assume there would be signage between the Georgia Dome and Hall B. Somewhere right inside the building where everyone is walking between the Dome and Hall B.

They won't, I hope, hide in some obscure corner.

Wetzel

Bharat Nain
04-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Pics of 2002 Hugging...just scroll down a bit. (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?s=&galleryid=34&perrow=4&trows=10&quiet=Verbose&direction=DESC&sort=date)
That makes me feel left out. I probably wont make it to the web hug, because I have to be in the pits. Feel free to drop by 25's Pits and see me. I should either have "TB" or "Tekno Bramha" written on Duct tape stuck to my shirt.

Please drop by(Yeah, I really wanna you guys),
-Bharat

DaBruteForceGuy
04-07-2004, 06:29 PM
.... you kno something? maybe i will come... even though i havn;t posted since before the build season started this year :rolleyes: ... but hey i was busy...building! >>> I'm easy to spot, I'm the only guy with *DaBruteForceGuy written on his safety glasses ;) *

some young guy
04-07-2004, 07:35 PM
i want a hug....NOT fair
*hug me* :(

Brandon Martus
04-07-2004, 07:40 PM
I think Wetzel is right. We definitely won't be hiding :). There will probably be a few Chief Delphi students scattered around directing people and such. I think, if I remember right, we have a large orange flag or banner of some sort too. From the looks of the response of this thread there should be a large enough group to stand out.

Kevin Karan
04-11-2004, 09:40 PM
12 on thursday... il probably be firmly stuck in the pit area...

Zzyzx
04-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Are Newly-Regisered Members Welcome?

Brandon Martus
04-13-2004, 01:01 AM
Of course. Everybody is welcome.

Joe Ross
04-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Is Brandon going to be at nationals the same year as I am? That's never happened before.

tiffany34990
04-13-2004, 04:22 PM
yeah i'll be like most of you ppl stuck in the pit-- cleaning up and fixing the bot-- it's all good though-- but have fun ya'll at the web hug

Matt Leese
04-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Is Brandon going to be at nationals the same year as I am? That's never happened before.
That may have to do with the fact that Brandon hasn't been to nationals since 2000 (I think).

Matt

Joe Ross
04-13-2004, 06:44 PM
That may have to do with the fact that Brandon hasn't been to nationals since 2000 (I think).

And 2000 was the only year that I didn't go to nationals ;)

Elgin Clock
04-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Will Brandon Marcus make an appearance too?? That would be like.... whoa... freaky!!

Wetzel
04-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Will Brandon Marcus make an appearance too?? That would be like.... whoa... freaky!!

Unfortunatly, Brandon Marcus was nowhere to be found.
Meet alot of people at the webhug, and more as the regional has gone on.

Wetzel

Tytus Gerrish
04-18-2004, 11:23 AM
WHAT!? martus was there, he was handing out the webhugshirts and i asked for the empty box and i got it and then he wanted it back, He was there

Eugenia Gabrielov
04-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I missed the webhug. I didn't know where to find it. By the time I was done wandering around outside, someone from chief told me it was over. I was sad. So have a webhug. ::HUG:: And I saw Wetzel. I think. Somewehre else.

Ryan Dognaux
04-18-2004, 07:41 PM
I totally spaced the Webhug until I saw Aaron Lussier and he reminded me of it.. but I failed to catch where it was, so here I am galavanting all over the Georgia Dome, and finally found a large familiar group of people inbetween the fields and pits. It was pretty cool to see part of the Chiefdelphi community all in one place, and I met a lot of cool people. When talking about the webhug, I think most people would agree "That's Pimp!" :]

Ken Leung
04-18-2004, 11:14 PM
I was completely busy running the scoring table on the Curie Division, so I didn't have much time to go to webhug. I got lost for the longest time, and made it there the last minute when Mike Martus started announcing the stats and people who won shirts. I had to run out of there as soon as my lunch break was over, so I couldn't talk to anyone at the webhug.

For those of you who were there, please forgive me for not being as friendly as I should've been. I was nice seeing everyone there. Lots of real faces behind the computer screen name.

Worst thing was, when I left the webhug I saw Libby Ritchie, the 1 person I want to meet the most at Championship event, coming up the elevator and I didn't even have time to chat. Bah! I will just have to go to IRI now.

Chris Hibner
04-19-2004, 03:45 PM
What's up with the T-shirts? I obviously missed the web-hug (since I wasn't in Atlanta), so I would love to hear what happened.

-Chris

Jeff Waegelin
04-19-2004, 04:06 PM
WHAT!? martus was there, he was handing out the webhugshirts and i asked for the empty box and i got it and then he wanted it back, He was there

Noooo.... someone asked if Brandon Marcus was there... not Brandon Martus. It's an old joke from a while back. Remember the "I hate Brandon Marcus" thread? That's where it comes from.

Brandon Martus
04-19-2004, 04:18 PM
T-Shirts were given out as the awards this year.
I have the list at home; I will post all the stats & awards tonight.

Elgin Clock
04-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Yay!! Webhug!! Definately a lot more people than the last time I went to one. (2002) And I got a big bear hug/assault by Big Mike.. Where is that pic Mike??

After the web hug, it basically turned into a 5 hour long social with a bunch of us hanging out at the lobby and then in front of the Einstein field till 5.

Nice to meet you all, and if you actually introduced yourself to me thanks.. I am finally getting recognized at FIRST events!! YAY!!!!
See some of you at some mini-comps this year.