PDA

View Full Version : New Website being created !

mtaman02
03-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Hey All,

With at least 1 day to go before the practice and competition days takes over Week#4 I have decided to work on something a bit constructive.

I'm building a website in which will allow you be able to get to the information quickly and easily!

The content of the website will host the following.

Team Rosters (Information Reguarding Team# / School Name and Location [similar to the white paper I posted in January])

The Game Manuals and Team Updates (Information Reguarding Game rules and other important information)

An Event Calendar (Information Reguarding upcoming events and due dates for FIRST Related projects [autocad / chairmans etc...])

A miscellaneous section for Flash / HTML / MS Office based game utilities that you the teams create. All you have to do is send me a link to d/l the game or utility and I'll link it to my website that way there's always a copy of it available.

A Useful links area. (the only 2 useful ones I know is FIRST / Chiefdelphi oh and Innovation FIRST)

The Link to this will be http://firstprojects.tripod.com (http://firstprojects.tripod.com/)

Edit:// 25% of it has been uploaded. You should find the 2003 and 2004 Team Roster accessible as well as the Competition Pit Timer created by Team 810 the Mechanical Bulls and the Score/Rank/Award Booklet created by myself.

Ryan M.
03-24-2004, 06:02 AM
It looks like it'll be good when finished. One thing I might say is that if you could reduce the amount of variation in the background, it might be slightly easier on the eyes. 'Course, that's just my opinion. :)

Nice site so far. :)

mtaman02
03-25-2004, 05:43 AM
Ok Changed the font to a solid white. Is there anything else I should include on my website. Remember this will pretty much be a 20MB Temp HD with 16MB Left lol. I see it as a HD b/c its only got like 3 HTML pages and nearing 1/2 a dozen zip files. In any case. If you would like any of your "small" creations to be kept for alternate Team Access. Send me the file via email **SEE PROFILE FOR EMAIL** I'll be more then glad to upload it to my site.

2003 FLASH / HTML Game is now available to d/l at my site
2004 " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " "

Links to FIRST's 2003 Rule Book and Competition now uploaded
" " " " " 2004 " " " " " " "

mtaman02
04-02-2004, 08:53 PM
How is the site that i have created thus far. Would you like any changes to be made to it!

Alex Cormier
04-02-2004, 09:00 PM
How is the site that i have created thus far. Would you like any changes to be made to it!
when i open it it has about 5 popups sayin stack overflow at line:0

mtaman02
04-02-2004, 09:25 PM
when i open it it has about 5 popups sayin stack overflow at line:0Ok It has been determined that

Internet Explorer has picked up a stack overflow at line 0 when loading this page
Netscape Navigator has not picked up this said error.

Those with Mozilla and Fire Fox and other such browers need to let me know if you do or do not get this error.

Those who know webpage design I could use some help in finding out if its a problem with the HTM coding or if its just Microsucks problem

Jay H 237
04-03-2004, 07:00 PM
I use IE6 (with all the latest updates installed) and had no issues opening and viewing your website.
You have also done a good job with the site so far. :)

Alex Cormier
04-03-2004, 07:16 PM
how do you use the pit timer?

mtaman02
04-03-2004, 09:55 PM
There is a read me file with the pit timer . this was created by T.810 The Mech. Bulls in 2002.

The way it works is The time already there is taken from the computer

Where Round 0 is you may change that to your next match
Where the 0:00 is where you imput the scheduled match time. so for 1:15 PM you would input 13:15 which will auto matically convert to the standard 12 hr.

You may change the message it displays and the Backround while counting down in the *.cfg file also located in the ZIP.

Any questions feel free to direct them to a member of 810
and like I said theres a read me file there so check it out first. Its a fairly simple program and doesn't reuqire much effort esp since we are already concentrated on fixing a robot and not a PC program j/k :]

mtaman02
04-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Even though one of 2 items really don't count anymore:

2003 FIRST Calendar
2004 FIRST Calendar - Additional Items to be added: Off- Season Events and Corresponding Info.

Are now uploaded

mtaman02
05-07-2004, 01:25 PM
I haven't been working on this website lately but I did add maybe one or two small things.

1) A drop down menu of teams with websites - this is taken from the 2004 roster. Beats having to open that large file to look for a website when all you have to do is scroll down to find it now.

2) I also added a couple of small links. Parallax (P-Basic), FIRST Q&A.

Thats really about it

Any ideas or suggestions you know where to find me !

Mike

Zzyzx
05-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Awesome, This website will be very useful for next year's competition.

mtaman02
08-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Ok Guys Its that Time:

Thats right time to help me =)

Listen I having issues implenting some JAVA into my website

Heres What I am trying to do:

1) I want a JAVA Application to load when the url of my website is opened.
2) I want the JAVA App. to stay open for about 5 - 7 secs and then forwarding to the actual website.

I am using a program which has been rejected by most but is quite useful for rookies that myself and others can understand - Microsoft Frontpage 2003
I would like to get a better web designing program but they're fairly expensive.

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

Astronouth7303
08-14-2004, 09:25 PM
You want a timed redirect? I think that can be done in script. But I don't actually know how.

Steve Howland
08-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Ok Guys Its that Time:

Thats right time to help me =)

Listen I having issues implenting some JAVA into my website

Heres What I am trying to do:

1) I want a JAVA Application to load when the url of my website is opened.
2) I want the JAVA App. to stay open for about 5 - 7 secs and then forwarding to the actual website.

I am using a program which has been rejected by most but is quite useful for rookies that myself and others can understand - Microsoft Frontpage 2003
I would like to get a better web designing program but they're fairly expensive.

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

For finidng info on time delays using java(if you are so inclined to do) go here (http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/dynamic1.html) and follw the instructions...just set up the page like any normal one then have the URL redirect to be to the new page that you want. This site will probably answer many questions you have in the actual code, not sure what it can do for your program though. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you get stuck on anything...

-Steve Howland

jonathan lall
08-15-2004, 01:17 AM
You could do a meta refresh

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="7" URL="http://www.team188.com/">
This will start a 7-second countdown once the page has finished loading to load the website given. You can stick it in the <head> element. A better way is actually changing the headers through PHP, but it doesn't look like your host will let you do that. Unless you really want to use Java, this is far easier and more efficient. Hope that helps.

Arefin Bari
08-15-2004, 01:38 AM
Ok It has been determined that

Internet Explorer has picked up a stack overflow at line 0 when loading this page
Netscape Navigator has not picked up this said error.

Those with Mozilla and Fire Fox and other such browers need to let me know if you do or do not get this error.

Those who know webpage design I could use some help in finding out if its a problem with the HTM coding or if its just Microsucks problem

I use Mozilla and i have had no problem with loading the page or whatsoever...

my opinion about the site:

1) the site looks awesome

2) great resource for FIRST teams (if they want to know about other teams, manuals and such)

3) if you could add some white papers which is on chiefdelphi (like drive trains, calculation papers and such), might help rookies out and also the veterans.

4) it would be easier to read all the words very easily if the background was faded out a little bit.

5) if you think its alright then add more links such as FIRSTWiki and soap108. (i personally use them a lot for sources).

6) it would be nice to have previous year's (1992-2002) game objective... (that way a lot of newbies and other who doesnt know about the previous games would learn about it).

Great job on the site... good luck... :)

mtaman02
08-17-2004, 02:54 AM
I thank you for ure suggestions reguarding the FIRSTProjects website and the background will most probably change as soons as i can find something that looks good.

AS for my question from earlier this week, this would be in reguards to another website i'm working on and i will also go forward with ure suggestions.

Please Keep your suggestions coming so that the growth of FIRSTProjects can continue. FYI: FIRSTPojects website is run off a tripod server which is free =) to some extent and after some new additions that you would like to see I hope to keep it on that free server. Anyone having any extra space on thier servers and looking for someone to share the server with I would be more then glad to share.... For the moment though Webspace is not an issue and I will notify you guys when the space starts getting smaller.

Improvements to FIRSTProjects porbably won't take place till the end of either this or next week.

=)

If you would like to have your white papers on ure site plz let me know how you want it done (E.G. A link to Your whitepaper thats stored on CD, or you want the whole white paper on the site)

mtaman02
11-11-2004, 01:57 AM
As the 2005 season approaches and its approaching rather quickly, I want to know if a complete 2005 FIRST Team Roster will be useful for scouting uses.

If you would like the 2005 roster please let me know, If I get enough responses I'll make it up quickly as soon as team registration for FIRST is officially completed ( if it isn't already ) I will draft up a 2005 roster probably by mid - december

Roster will include Team Number / School & sponsor(s) / Web address if applicable / Team location and maybe some other stuff if it isn't that big of a job.

Roland
11-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Are the people praising this site seeing the same thing I am? I'm a bit perplexed because I'm seeing Comic Sans on a black and purple background that'd get laughed out of 1996.

The gracious professionalism police will have a field day with this one! Doesn't mean I'm not serious.

Andy Baker
11-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Are the people praising this site seeing the same thing I am? I'm a bit perplexed because I'm seeing Comic Sans on a black and purple background that'd get laughed out of 1996.

The gracious professionalism police will have a field day with this one! Doesn't mean I'm not serious.

/me hears sounds of sirens

I disagree.

I could care less about the colors. My bad taste in art has no bearing on someone else's bad taste in art. Purple and black looks OK.

Content is where it is at with regard to a website... and this site has it. Good job, Mike. This is a useful tool.

Andy B.

Aignam
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM

The gracious professionalism police will have a field day with this one! Doesn't mean I'm not serious.While it may not be the most aesthetically appealing website, it's rather informative. All the best websites are...

If you really have to write that the "Gracious professionalism police are going to have a field day" at the end of your post, don't post it.

Any website that promotes FIRST is a good website.

Roland
11-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Oops, I saw this thread on the front page and assumed it was in the web design forum where people ask for comments on design. I agree that without content even the coolest-looking site is worthless, and there seems to be plenty of good content on this site. Might I suggest a different way to navigate the team list in the lower left corner? The thousand-item popup menu feels a bit clumsy for what you're doing; even if you're married to the menu idea, doing submenus for every hundred team numbers would make it easier to navigate.

My complaint about the fonts and colors still stands, though. I had only seen the design on the dim LCDs at school, and upon opening the site on my bright old CRT at home almost made my eyes bleed. I mean, come on, no custom fonts and colors at all would be better than this abomination.

mtaman02
11-16-2004, 04:59 AM
[QUOTE=Arefin Bari]

3) if you could add some white papers which is on chiefdelphi (like drive trains, calculation papers and such), might help rookies out and also the veterans. - The server I'm using gives me but so much space but I will try and get whitepapers up that consist with Drivetrains and whatever else I may fit probably when January 05 comes around it should be all setup.

4) it would be easier to read all the words very easily if the background was faded out a little bit. - Changed the background since some people *Cough* Roland complained of it making his eyes bleed

5) if you think its alright then add more links such as FIRSTWiki and soap108. (i personally use them a lot for sources). - Added the 2 you have mentioned

6) it would be nice to have previous year's (1992-2002) game objective... (that way a lot of newbies and other who doesnt know about the previous games would learn about it). Same goes for Number 3 with the addition of not having any information for the time period listed above =(

As for the thousand item dropdown menu I have not thoroughly checked to see which sites work but if you would like to volunteer in helping me trim it down to those that strictly work that would be really appreaciative,It could've been worse.... it could've been 1000 links all over the page.......when I free up some time I'll try and make drop down menus for every 300Teams or something like that would that be ok Team 1 -Team 300 Team 301 - Team 600 etc......???????

And my question was still unanswered Does your team or scouting team find any use for a 2005 Team Roster !

Thank you all for your opinions and If I had as much time like Brandon this site would be in better condition and up to date. Unfortunately I work 12p - 8p and get home between 9:30P- 10P tired and hungry with not much time for anything else except playing Socom (PS 2 Game) for an hour or thinking.

KevinH
01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Here's a good link (http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jredir.htm) for some ways to use javascript to redirect your viewers to another page.

The above links explains how to do various types of redirects using javascript, from instant to timed, and the benefit of javascript is that javascript is more likely to be enabled (and doesn't require any software installed on the server typically) than java.

mtaman02
01-26-2005, 03:37 AM
Hey All,

Just wanted to give you all an Update, I'm currently in the process of making a 2005 Complete Roster of all the teams competing this year, I have at least 75% of it completed, It should be up by the end of the week, I will post it in the White Papers and I'll put a Link in my Signature so that you can d/l it. Chances are that I will not be making another roster since there is an overwhelmingly large amount of teams coming to FIRST each year, not to mention the current teams continually changing their website urls.
Alot of work it is.