PDA

View Full Version : Its Good To Know CD Encourages Debate....

SilenceNoMore
04-18-2004, 01:17 PM
or not.... http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=27850

Seriously, moderators, are you afraid of serious and intense debate? Everytime I see some serious discussion go on, the moderators lock it almost immediately. Same thing happened with the collobration posts. Does every post have to revolve around seeing Dean Kamen on TV or about how many people met each other at nats (nothing wrong with these posts but that is all that Chief Delphi seems to be useful for these days).

Madison
04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
or not.... http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=27850

Seriously, moderators, are you afraid of serious and intense debate? Everytime I see some serious discussion go on, the moderators lock it almost immediately. Same thing happened with the collobration posts. Does every post have to revolve around seeing Dean Kamen on TV or about how many people met each other at nats (nothing wrong with these posts but that is all that Chief Delphi seems to be useful for these days).

There have been plenty of threads overflowing at the brim with healthy debate. They're all over the place.

Forgive me if I'm speaking for Jessica, but your thread was not closed because you had some amazing insight that the moderators are trying to squelch. From my perspective, it may be just the opposite -- you posted complaints that are nothing more than a retread of discussion we've had time and time again, offering very few contributions and adding, instead, to the vitriol that already surrounds many of those topics. I don't necessarily disagree with the things you have written about, really; I only disagree with the need to say them again without bringing anything more to the table.

But, beyond that, your post was closed because, not only did you complain about topics that are tired and old, but you did it "anonymously," something many people hold synonymous to "with cowardice."

Sorry, but your shocking revelations and incisive complaints are not quite that and it's a bit childish to hide behind some anonymous identity in any circumstance.

SilenceNoMore
04-18-2004, 01:46 PM
You know as well as I do who reads these boards (refs, judges, FIRST staff) and I do not want my team to feel any reprecussions as a result of what I say. I know that there are people on this board who will hold it against the team as a whole, so for that reason I will not list my name or team number.

You and your minions can call me a coward (and to all the people who PMed calling a coward, i don't care) all you want but I will not compromise the repuatation of my team because of my words.

Jessica Boucher
04-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Well, I'm assuming that this is directed towards me, being one of the few mods that is not currently in transit from Atlanta at the moment, as well as being the one who closed the thread you pointed to.

Anyway, if you want to know, I was asked by another poster to close the thread...and I don't take those requests lightly.

Secondly, there are many ways to voice your opinion other than the fashion that you decided to do it in - one of them being the FAH Mailbox, the other being the Moderated forum. What's the good of these two venues if everyone decided to create a new username and post anonymously?

It's not about being scared of debate. It's about discussions getting heated, and thus causing unnecessary animosity within the FIRST community. These two areas allow discussion without the anger. And they're working....the FAH Mailbox has 14 thread questions, and 161 posts, whereas the Moderated discussion has 92 replies over its 3 threads....over 30 replies on average.

So, if you want to argue it that way, I was just keeping the process consistent with what the CD forum has agreed works best for us as a whole, and I encourage you to respect that. If you have any suggestions as to how to make the forums better, please bring it up under your normal CD username.

Brandon Martus
04-19-2004, 09:22 AM
To reiterate what Jess said earlier: the First-A-Holics Anonymous forum was made for anonymous posting.

We do encourage debate; that's why we're here. ChiefDelphi.com is a place to share ideas, discuss them, and to contribute to making the community of FIRST a better place.

The link you posted doesn't work, so I can't comment on the thread you are referring to.