PDA

View Full Version : [FVG]: Produced Materials

Mike Ciance
06-20-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm makign this thread as a place to store and display any and all materials that people have made for this project. whether it be sprites or sound bites (hey, that rhymed!) post it here. of course, if it is something huge, you might want to post it on a webpage and then put a link here so you don't clog up your attachment space.

i've made a concept logo, which i have already posted here (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=271609&postcount=6).

Mike Ciance
06-20-2004, 07:20 PM
this isn't really "produced", but i was able to get a hold of the 2004 field sound effects. thanks piotrm :D

dez250 brought to my attantion that, although it should be alrigth with the sounds, some of the materials we may obtain from FIRST in the future of this project SHOULD NOT be posted for the general public, and should be contained within the group of develpoers. thanks dex250 :D

Firewolf
06-20-2004, 07:40 PM
sweeeet.
mad props ma friend. mad props

;)

Astronouth7303
06-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Cool. (Buzzer's a little soft, I think. Easy fix.)

Is Charge2 used at both the begging of the match and at the end of auton?

Mike Ciance
06-20-2004, 08:14 PM

i'm not exactly sure, i guess the easiest way to find out would be to reference some videos from the season. but if we cant tell the difference, i guess it wouldnt destroy the game lol

dez250
06-20-2004, 08:15 PM

Yes for the main part that is the sound that starts the auton and manal control periods of the match...

Max Lobovsky
06-20-2004, 11:08 PM
dez250 brought to my attantion that, although it should be alrigth with the sounds, some of the materials we may obtain from FIRST in the future of this project SHOULD NOT be posted for the general public, and should be contained within the group of develpoers.
If this project is going to be open source, that is pointless. I cannot conceive of a way you could hide media content in a game that is open source. Even in a closed source game, hiding media content would require encoding it in some non-standard manner.

Mike Ciance
06-21-2004, 02:03 PM
If this project is going to be open source, that is pointless. I cannot conceive of a way you could hide media content in a game that is open source. Even in a closed source game, hiding media content would require encoding it in some non-standard manner.

you need to remember, we still don't have the go-ahead from FIRST to do this. i emailed them, and am awaiting a response

Astronouth7303
06-21-2004, 02:50 PM

I don't think that they will mind, but one should ask.

mtrawls
06-21-2004, 05:08 PM
you need to remember, we still don't have the go-ahead from FIRST to do this.
I don't think that they will mind, but one should ask.

Let me step in a bit, here. You certainly don't need the "go-ahead from FIRST" to create a robotics oriented video game. You don't even need their approval to orient it around FIRST Robotics. Of course, using their logos and copyrighted material is a different matter. But put yourselves in their positions, and try to imagine what their possible response would be.

And rather than store things here, it sounds like you should get your own webspace. Someone suggested sourceforge, and that seems like a good chioce. That's the best way to organize it all and handle version control, IMO (well, at least lightyears better than sorting it all out here).

Ryan M.
06-21-2004, 06:22 PM
That's the best way to organize it all and handle version control, IMO (well, at least lightyears better than sorting it all out here).Version control is good, but I don't know about actual discusion of ideas. Unless there's developer stuff I don't know about, the message boards there aren't the greatest... :)

Mike Ciance
06-23-2004, 10:17 AM
i've attached version 0.1 of the game's main menu. tell me what i should add/remove/change

Astronouth7303
06-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Version control is good, but I don't know about actual discusion of ideas. Unless there's developer stuff I don't know about, the message boards there aren't the greatest... :)
Make a members only wiki. and almost every page is a discussion page

Ryan M.
06-23-2004, 12:13 PM
i've attached version 0.1 of the game's main menu. tell me what i should add/remove/changeOk, I'm a rebel. I've changed stuff already... ;)

Nothing major. I did the following things:

Moved Exhibition and Season under a "Play!" (with an exclamation point...) menu. I did this for the next item...
Added the 'optional' online play option under "Play!". We will eventually have this, so it might as well be in there now. The idea of what is happening there is:

We go off and check some server which keeps track of all the games which are currently being played. It may/may not actually be controlling these games, but it would at least know they exist. But that's something to discuss later... :)
We give the user a list of all the games which are currently available to play (I.E. They have a players, but not all 4.). This list might include what year the game is, what teams/robots are currently signed on to that game, etc.
The user can scroll up and down the list and either select a game to join, or they can choose to create their own online game and wait for players to join it.
What happens if they join a game is obvious from the box there...
If they choose to create a game, they select what game they want to play, then we basically just automatically make them join the game.
Note that the arena is selected individually for online play. The arena is just the scenery, so it doesn't really matter if everyone is the same. So, they can pick whatever they like... :)

Hope that made any sense at all. :ahh:

==========EDIT==============
Oh, yeah. I also added "year" selections to the game setups... :)

Astronouth7303
06-23-2004, 12:39 PM
i've attached version 0.1 of the game's main menu. tell me what i should add/remove/change
Here's my edit. Bold is new, italic is changed, gray is optional/not this version, and underline is level 1 or 2.

Intro -> Main Menu
Play
Single Game
Local -> Game -> Teams -> AIs -> Field -> Controls -> Confirmation
LAN
Host -> Game -> Team -> AIs -> Field -> Controls -> Waiting
Join -> Select Host -> Team -> Control -> Waiting
Single Competition
Local -> Game -> Teams -> AIs -> Field -> Controls -> Confirmation
LAN
Host -> Game -> Team -> AIs -> Field -> Controls -> Waiting
Join -> Select Host -> Team -> Control -> Waiting
Season
Load Previous
Go to FVG.com
Team Config
Add Team
Edit Team
Options
Audio
Video
Controls
Help
Menu Help
About FVG
About FIRST RC
About {Engine}
Exit
Credits -> Confirmation

Indents are for nested menus, the -> arrows are 'wizards', sequential setup.

==Edit==
Here's the plain-text version of above.

Mike Ciance
06-23-2004, 03:46 PM
here is version 0.3 of the main menu - it includes new ideas from me, Texan, and Astronouth7303 all meshed together.

Mike Ciance
06-24-2004, 06:23 PM
maybe we could use my smiley somewhere in the game lol

Ryan M.
06-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Yeah, sure... :rolleyes: :D

Until we get the Sourceforge site up, I'm willing to host anything that CD won't upload for you. (I.E. It's too big...) PM me if you have a need. :)

Mike Ciance
06-24-2004, 06:53 PM
actually, if you are referring to my old thread about trying to get a proper image link for my smiley, i figured it out. actually, i had just deleted the smiley from my attachments when i realized that i could link to attached images through the attachments area of my user cp. that last post was really just so i could reattach the smiley and then link to it. it had previously been hosted on dez250's website, but i wanted to stop wasting his space :p

anyway, i have posted a preliminary pause menu here (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=273371&postcount=10)

Joshua May
06-24-2004, 07:32 PM
anyway, i have posted a preliminary pause menu here (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=273371&postcount=10)

Looks nice.

Right now I'm looking at updating your logo to be more 3D-ish.

Mike Ciance
06-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Looks nice.

Right now I'm looking at updating your logo to be more 3D-ish.

3D-ish is cool :cool: 3D-ize away! :D

you have to admit, though, what i had was pretty good for 5 minutes in Paint :p

Joshua May
06-24-2004, 08:18 PM
3D-ish is cool :cool: 3D-ize away! :D

you have to admit, though, what i had was pretty good for 5 minutes in Paint :p

I noticed, what I'm doing is about 5 minutes in 3DSMAX. :D

EDIT: My computer is having... issues... at the moment, I'll have to let it calm down before I can finish the logo.

Joshua May
06-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Just for the fun of it, and something to do, I made this logo off of the sketch. And, yes, that is a real font I used... :D

There is also another one at http://texan.homeunix.net/fvg/logo.png.

I think there's a problem with your server, the image isn't showing up and the link doesn't work either.

Joshua May
06-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Here's my preliminary version of the logo, still some work to be done, but its only 15 mins in 3DSMAX, including the program crashing every time I clicked on the circle or the word "FIRST". :rolleyes:

http://www.hhsrobotics.circuitrunners.com/FVG/fr_logo.png

http://www.hhsrobotics.circuitrunners.com/FVG/fr_logo.png

Mike Ciance
06-25-2004, 03:21 PM
WHOA!!! :yikes:

thats really an awsome job, i really like the metalicity of the shapes :D

A few suggestions for the final version:

-Make "FIRST" smaller, black, and put the periods inbetween the letters so people know it's a separate and an acronym. otherwise people might think that "first" is referring to order. it should be smaller so peopel realize that it is a different part of the title, showing origin. like "Austin Powers Goldmember" where the "Austin Powers" is smaller than the "Goldmember" because "Goldmember" is the part of the title that is specific to that movie while "Austin Powers" is the origin. make it like:
F.I.R.S.T.
ULTIMATE
ROBOT
CHALLENGE
but keep "robot" in white, not black like i have

-put a bolder black border around all the lettering. this will make the word "robot" easier to read. you also migth want to consider seeing how a metallic "robot" would look, though i think white might be better

Joshua May
06-25-2004, 04:38 PM
WHOA!!! :yikes:

thats really an awsome job, i really like the metalicity of the shapes :D

A few suggestions for the final version:

-Make "FIRST" smaller, black, and put the periods inbetween the letters so people know it's a separate and an acronym. otherwise people might think that "first" is referring to order. it should be smaller so peopel realize that it is a different part of the title, showing origin. like "Austin Powers Goldmember" where the "Austin Powers" is smaller than the "Goldmember" because "Goldmember" is the part of the title that is specific to that movie while "Austin Powers" is the origin. make it like:
F.I.R.S.T.
ULTIMATE
ROBOT
CHALLENGE
but keep "robot" in white, not black like i have

-put a bolder black border around all the lettering. this will make the word "robot" easier to read. you also migth want to consider seeing how a metallic "robot" would look, though i think white might be better

Yeah, that's pretty much the list of things I was going to change anyways. :D The FIRST was supposed to be chrome, but for some reason the texture wouldn't come out right.

Joshua May
06-26-2004, 09:59 AM
allflictionblade, you e-mailed FIRST before about the project, right? Because we need to send a copy of the logo (once finished) to FIRST and have them OK it.

Bharat Nain
06-26-2004, 01:09 PM
allflictionblade, you e-mailed FIRST before about the project, right? Because we need to send a copy of the logo (once finished) to FIRST and have them OK it.
Yes, he did, I helped him in the process.

Mike Ciance
06-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Yes, he did, I helped him in the process.

i still have not gotten a reply, though.

i am going to be off for a couple days, I hope i have a response when i return...

Mike Ciance
07-05-2004, 04:02 PM
i got the mp3 of the MOE wobblies, we can have this play from the crowd during rounds with MOE. me and dori (robotgirl007) are working on making a graphic of the wobblies

Ryan M.
07-05-2004, 04:37 PM
i got the mp3 of the MOE wobblies, we can have this play from the crowd during rounds with MOE. me and dori (robotgirl007) are working on making a graphic of the wobbliesLOL

Well, we could just randomly play it; we need some fun crowd noise. We could just pretend that we have a bunch of MOE physcos continually on hand. :D

Mike Ciance
07-05-2004, 04:41 PM
LOL

Well, we could just randomly play it; we need some fun crowd noise. We could just pretend that we have a bunch of MOE physcos continually on hand. :DI really hope we can get MOE in this. they are such a unique team, and a very famous one too. my team unfortunately will not be in the game, but i've started up a group of animators (part of my Communications Committee) and we hope to have bot models for all future years