PDA

View Full Version : Great stuff!

Carolyn Duncan
07-02-2001, 06:15 PM
I guess the title may be a bit misleading but I wanted to compliment everyone with the graphics that come up with posts. What I mean is the little things like the slinky and Mike off ridalin. I know there is a good word to use to describe them but I can't think of it. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know that I thought they were cool!
C~ya,
Carolyn

David Kelly
07-02-2001, 06:17 PM
they are called Avatar's.

Carolyn Duncan
07-02-2001, 06:29 PM
Thanx. I knew someone would help me out of that moment.
C~ya,
Carolyn

EddieMcD
07-02-2001, 06:43 PM
I like my new avatar. And for the record, this is a post meant to increase my post count.

Tom Fairchild
07-02-2001, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by David Kelly
they are called Avatar's.

So why are they called Avatar's, anyways? Never heard of the word until this site, and was just a little curious.

~Tom~

David Kelly
07-02-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom Fairchild

So why are they called Avatar's, anyways? Never heard of the word until this site, and was just a little curious.

~Tom~

Maybe it's like a buddy icon thing. I think only AOHell, i mean AOL, uses that term. Avatar may be vBulletin's way of describing the same thing.

Joel J
07-02-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Tom Fairchild

~Tom~ Webster's Definition:

Main Entry: av·a·tar
Pronunciation: 'a-v&-"tär
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit avatAra descent, from avatarati he descends, from ava- away + tarati he crosses over -- more at UKASE, THROUGH
Date: 1784
1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (as Vishnu)
2 a : an incarnation in human form b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person
3 : a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity

~In other words, a representation of yourself (really should be some powerful thing though, but in this case, you get the point).

EddieMcD
07-03-2001, 12:27 PM
A bit simpler: If you ever see the show Andromeda, the ship's brain itself has a humanoid body. That is the ship's avatar.

How ironic that my representation is by Chuckie, Dil, Angelica, & Spike.

Madison
07-03-2001, 02:15 PM
What does it say about me that my avatar is King Ghidrah, the three-headed monster from the planet Mars?

What's the deeper significance there?

Christina
07-03-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Michael Krass
What does it say about me that my avatar is King Ghidrah, the three-headed monster from the planet Mars?

What's the deeper significance there?

It says that you're a three headed monster from the Planet Mars. Duh! :p Hmm...maybe not...you've only got one head...so, you can just be a one headed monster from the planet Mars? That seems to make more sense. I always knew you were too weird to be from Earth anyway. Yes, and all of the sudden things seem to make more sense about you. :)

~Christina ºoº

mike o'leary
07-03-2001, 04:09 PM
whats the deeper significance of my avatar being a guy on ridilin?

actually on second thought maybe we dont have to go there...

EddieMcD
07-03-2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Christina

It says that you're a three headed monster from the Planet Mars. Duh! :p Hmm...maybe not...you've only got one head...so, you can just be a one headed monster from the planet Mars? That seems to make more sense. I always knew you were too weird to be from Earth anyway. Yes, and all of the sudden things seem to make more sense about you. :)

Another quote to put in the sig. :p

Carolyn Duncan
07-24-2001, 10:32 PM
Where do you guys find them? I've ben looking at a few sites and can't decide what I want. I know that Eddie just steals David's, but really where should I look for more options?

Clark Gilbert
07-24-2001, 10:44 PM
I LOVE my avatar!!!

:D

Clark Gilbert
07-24-2001, 10:51 PM
Here is another cool avatar.....

David Kelly
07-24-2001, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Carolyn Duncan
Where do you guys find them? I've ben looking at a few sites and can't decide what I want. I know that Eddie just steals David's, but really where should I look for more options?

you can just use a gif file or a jpeg to stick in there. but it has to be the right size. clark and i share ours with each other over IM. i get mine from from a really cool website. i don't really want to post it here cause i'm afraid that someone will that all the cool avatar's that i'm saving for later. if you really wanna know carolyn, email me and i might give you the link if i'm nice.

A. Leese
07-24-2001, 11:10 PM
I actually got my slinky thing from my uncle. He sent it to me as an attachment to an email b/c I had fun playing with a slinky on the stairs in his house on the 4th of july (I don't have any stairs in my house and had never actually tried the slinky down the stairs thing before).

~Angela who still has a Heatwave slinky from '99

David Kelly
07-24-2001, 11:20 PM
here's a few of my favorite gif's.

http://members.home.net/cbteam234/Robotics/beavis.gif

http://members.home.net/cbteam234/Robotics/drill_press_md_wht.gif

http://members.home.net/cbteam234/Robotics/amov.gif

i'll break out with all my simpson's later:D

Brandon Martus
07-24-2001, 11:47 PM
http://www.ballericons.com/

thats where i got my avatar.

David Kelly
07-24-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
http://www.ballericons.com/

thats where i got my avatar.

you gave it away. oh well. that place is cool

Flair
07-25-2001, 01:02 AM
So lets say I make/find an avatar that I want to use, HOW? I like making some cool gifs, but I don't know how to put them in! Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

David Kelly
07-25-2001, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Flair
So lets say I make/find an avatar that I want to use, HOW? I like making some cool gifs, but I don't know how to put them in! Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

go to "user cp" at the top, then to "edit options", then got to the very bottom where it says "change avatar". that should help

mike o'leary
07-25-2001, 02:05 PM

you gave it away. oh well. that place is cool

if youre afraid that theyll run out of awesome icons youre insane...theyve got like 4 million of them at least.

mike who goes to ballericons.com for his buddy icons

btw, another one is http://www.badassbuddy.com...its not nearlly as good and not nearly as big as ballericons.com but its got some decent ones. its also an easier url to remember

Carolyn Duncan
07-25-2001, 10:50 PM
Hey David, in response to the question with your new avatar. Yes, I have done that and it is funny. It's also really gross. I think some places you can get jail time for doing it so at least don't get caught. Something else fun to do if you're ever in the country is cow tipping. If you know what I mean you're laughing right now.

Flair
07-26-2001, 12:24 PM

go to "user cp" at the top, then to "edit options", then got to the very bottom where it says "change avatar". that should help

thanx, I'll see what I can work up

David Kelly
07-26-2001, 12:32 PM
Hey David, in response to the question with your new avatar. Yes, I have done that and it is funny. It's also really gross. I think some places you can get jail time for doing it so at least don't get caught. Something else fun to do if you're ever in the country is cow tipping. If you know what I mean you're laughing right now.

If i ever want to go cow tipping i have a good source because our teacher that runs our robotics team owns like 40 head of cattle. i don't think he will mind too much. Right Scott?:p

Clark Gilbert
07-26-2001, 04:49 PM
Let's go David!!!

lol

:D :)

Clark Gilbert
07-26-2001, 04:53 PM
http://www.agag.com/gallery/3d/

http://www.gifs.net/animate/animate.htm

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/3505/

http://www.aimicons.net/

http://www.animfactory.com/

http://www.iconarchive.com/

http://www.matrixvault.com/PW/

Excellent archive list (http://www.iconbazaar.com/cgi-bin/others.cgi?sort=col5rev&allcomp=all&col4=xanimat&col5=star.gif&col1col2col3=&link1=3&1sp-license=websearch&snap=UL&begin=%3CDT%3E%3Cbig%3E%3Cb%3E&middle=%3C%2Fbig%3E%3C%2Fb%3E%3CDD%3E%3Cbr%3E&end=%3Cp%3E%3Cbr%3E&top=%3CDL%3E&bottom=%x=36&y=15)

EddieMcD
07-26-2001, 05:21 PM
*hops around and does The Worm*

W-O-R-M: It's The Worm!

Carolyn Duncan
07-26-2001, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by EddieMcD
If you can really do the worm you get mad props. I expect to see a demo at nats this year.

David Kelly
07-26-2001, 09:01 PM

yeah, i'd like to see you actually do it

EddieMcD
07-27-2001, 01:32 PM
I actually can do The Worm. Well, not with my vest on, of course. That'd just hurt.

Carolyn Duncan
07-27-2001, 03:03 PM
I actually can do The Worm. Well, not with my vest on, of course. That'd just hurt.
Yeah, just how often do you wear your vest? Do you kep it around for those time when you miss FIRST? Is it your "security blanket"?
j/k

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 03:32 PM
his security vest could never pass security at an airport...

Carolyn Duncan
07-27-2001, 03:35 PM
I can just imagine all the commotion with the X-ray machines and the metal detectors...

EddieMcD
07-27-2001, 06:03 PM
Actually, I've never had a problem with it at the airport.

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 08:15 PM
yeah...but do you wear it on the plane?
or try to walk through the metal detector with it on?

EddieMcD
07-28-2001, 09:25 AM
No, but I usually have it with me on the plane. A couple of teammates actually passed the time by looking at my vest while we were on our way home.

Andrew Rudolph
07-28-2001, 12:47 PM
For thoes of you who know and talk to me i have the best avatar, if you dont talk to me its just pointless

mike o'leary
07-28-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Rudolph
For thoes of you who know and talk to me i have the best avatar, if you dont talk to me its just pointless

at first i was thinking that this was a random post, then i remembered what the thread was originally about.

Lora Knepper
07-28-2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Rudolph

SWALEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :p

~ lora

EddieMcD
07-28-2001, 06:31 PM
Oooookaaayyyyy...

*tosses a grenade off a wall that ricochets back*

Uh oh.

David Kelly
07-28-2001, 06:34 PM
Oooookaaayyyyy...

*tosses a grenade off a wall that ricochets back*

Uh oh.

ouch!! bombs hurt.

EddieMcD
07-28-2001, 06:36 PM
I guess thats what I get for doing my impression of you. :p

mike o'leary
07-28-2001, 08:17 PM
thats what you get for stealing his avatar

Carolyn Duncan
07-28-2001, 11:48 PM
Everything comes back 3 fold.
You do realize this is a family site? Does your avatar and the related status line reflect this?
*calls all cars*
"Uh,we've got a problem here..."

David Kelly
07-28-2001, 11:58 PM
Everything comes back 3 fold.
You do realize this is a family site? Does your avatar and the related status line reflect this?
*calls all cars*
"Uh,we've got a problem here..."

i don't want to get into all the polotics, but yours isn't the greatest either

if you were talkin to me

Carolyn Duncan
07-29-2001, 12:05 AM
Mine def fits with Anton. The ninnies will get the reference to Anton's shirt. Besides, that was kinda the point.

mike o'leary
07-29-2001, 04:39 PM
i get the reference

i also seem to remember someone asking anton what the letters on his shirt were for...

Carolyn Duncan
07-29-2001, 04:52 PM
Yeah, well, I didn't know if he'd go there. Iknow what they meant around my area but that doesn't mean anyting. Ninny is diff. than what I originally used it as.

mike o'leary
07-29-2001, 07:03 PM
excuses, excuses

EddieMcD
07-29-2001, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by mike o'leary
thats what you get for stealing his avatar
I didn't steal that one.

mike o'leary
07-29-2001, 07:31 PM
you stole one before...

David Kelly
07-29-2001, 07:42 PM

I didn't steal that one.

you stole my WORM avatar

EddieMcD
07-29-2001, 07:47 PM
Your point?

David Kelly
07-29-2001, 07:54 PM
Your point?

do you like it when people steel your stuff?

mike o'leary
07-29-2001, 09:46 PM
there are several avatars here that i really think are cool...carolyns, davids last few, even a couple of eddie, as well as others. but i cant bring myself to blatently steal it. i prefer to be creative and original.
on the otherhand, to each his own

David Kelly
07-29-2001, 10:24 PM
there are several avatars here that i really think are cool...carolyns, davids last few, even a couple of eddie, as well as others. but i cant bring myself to blatently steal it. i prefer to be creative and original.
on the otherhand, to each his own

Clark is the reason for my cool avatars. he's given me most of mine.

Clark Gilbert
07-29-2001, 10:26 PM
I thought i had a cool one.....i seem to find all the cool gear ones.....i even have some more that i havent re-sized yet....

:D

mike o'leary
07-29-2001, 10:28 PM
they are pretty cool...i just scrolled up on the page and got a couple of names with cool avatars...you didnt have a post on that page so i didnt see it right then.

Carolyn Duncan
07-29-2001, 10:49 PM
excuses, excuses
Ya know I can think of other things I have said that other people have wondered about because they are regional things, like my bust. I was just checkin'.
Eddie, yuo stole an avatar, that's UNCOOL. You're prolly one of those people who takes candy from 7-11 and calls it trick-or-treating aren't you? You do realize that when you steal something the object is not to get caught, right?

mike o'leary
07-29-2001, 10:54 PM

You do realize that when you steal something the object is not to get caught, right?

but that takes all the fun out of it

A. Leese
07-30-2001, 12:35 AM

If i ever want to go cow tipping i have a good source because our teacher that runs our robotics team owns like 40 head of cattle. i don't think he will mind too much. Right Scott?:p

I guess maybe I should put this in the Dirty Laundry section..but..my team used to meet in the portable that was right in front of the field where they kept the cows on the South Fork campus. A few times we went out after meetings in attempts to go cow-tipping but either couldn't find the cows or they chased after us..oh well..

~Angela who is happy her school doesn't have cows on campus, thank you very much :)

EddieMcD
07-30-2001, 01:02 PM
Tell me Carolyn, did you make your avatar?

mike o'leary
07-30-2001, 01:43 PM
you should read the threads eddie. i asked her that before.
but i think i see where youre going with this. the difference is that she didnt take it from someone else on these forums to use on these forums.

David Kelly
07-30-2001, 01:45 PM
but i think i see where youre going with this. the difference is that she didnt take it from someone else on these forums to use on these forums.

i'm temped to say that line again mike. but i'm holding back. 3 times in a week would be too much

mike o'leary
07-30-2001, 01:47 PM
you mean that 'amen brutha' line?

David Kelly
07-30-2001, 01:52 PM
yeah...:D

Carolyn Duncan
07-30-2001, 08:39 PM
Eddie, my avatar came from a sharing place. The people who submit the avatars they make do so with the knowledge and intention of having other people use them. They even take requests. Try again.
Hey Fishy! When you go cow tipping, go at night when they are sleeping it works better.don't forget your flashlight though, you need to look before you step! ;)

EddieMcD
07-31-2001, 02:53 PM

So? Same difference.

mike o'leary
07-31-2001, 06:20 PM
no eddie...different difference.

Carolyn Duncan
07-31-2001, 08:48 PM
Eddie, you should read my post. I get my avatars from people who make them to share them. The more people use them the better off the maker. Similar to this forum but different.

mike o'leary
07-31-2001, 09:37 PM
david...did you make youre avatar that worm one so that people could use it on cd?

EddieMcD
07-31-2001, 09:38 PM
*points to his avatar*

I've had this one up for 3 days now. And if the more people who use them the better, then what your saying is that it's good I used the Worm avatar.

mike o'leary
07-31-2001, 09:41 PM
no eddie...cuz you didnt take youres from the source...
i guess you cant explain morality to someone who considers himself a high priest...
all i can say is its uncool and impossible for you to win this fight...my advice to you is quit while youre way behind

anyways, wow 3 whole days...
/mike points to his avatar which hes had on htese fourms for probably 3 months and whihc has been his aim buddy icon for over a year...

EddieMcD
07-31-2001, 10:06 PM
How do you know I didn't take it from the source? How do you know I didn't see it, find where he got it, and took it from there? You really can't tell. Well, it's obvious that I did grab it from David, but what's the difference? An avatar is an avatar.

And I had a different avatar up there for about a month and a half(before the worm).

David Kelly
07-31-2001, 10:19 PM
sometimes someone may use an avatar for personal reasons. the ones that brandon puts for public can be used for anyone. i don't like it people blatently take my stuff. this is kinda like "America's Dumbest Criminals". if you're gonna steal something, don't make it look obvious

EddieMcD
07-31-2001, 10:23 PM
You also have to keep in mind that most avatars are public domain.

Carolyn Duncan
07-31-2001, 10:34 PM
So, What if people started stealing your signature? That's kinda what you did but on a diff. level. BTW, preists used to be real corrupt, me thinks this has happened again.

Tom Fairchild
08-01-2001, 12:52 AM
<--- In his humble opinion, thinks this argument is getting old and futile.

~Tom~

EddieMcD
08-01-2001, 10:30 AM
Hey, they started it.

mike o'leary
08-01-2001, 08:54 PM
sometimes it takes the bigger man to end it. me, id prefer not to be the bigger man cuz i like to talk too much.

actually no, im gonna have to agree with tom here (amen brutha)

Carolyn Duncan
08-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Well, I'm not a man so it's impossible for me to be the bigger man. hehehe. I love it when stuff like this happens. :p :D

mike o'leary
08-01-2001, 09:08 PM
as you push the discussion away from the resolution...convenient, since you and eddie seem to get so many posts added to youre post count from it

Carolyn Duncan
08-01-2001, 09:11 PM
Why are you so hung up on this post count thing. Is it your ego that wants you to have the highest count? I really don't care about how many posts I have.

mike o'leary
08-01-2001, 09:12 PM
not at all. i have no ego. ego cant coexist with ninny.

Carolyn Duncan
08-01-2001, 09:15 PM
Then what's your deal? Why does it matter? BTW everyone has an ego, it's what drives you to excell.

mike o'leary
08-01-2001, 09:16 PM
mike here does not exell. at all.

and what do you mean whats my deal? i was just joking

David Kelly
08-01-2001, 10:41 PM
sometimes it takes the bigger man to end it. me, id prefer not to be the bigger man cuz i like to talk too much.

actually no, im gonna have to agree with tom here (amen brutha)

great line mike:D ...lol

mike o'leary
08-01-2001, 10:44 PM
i was wondering if someone would notice that

EddieMcD
08-02-2001, 01:17 PM
I'd like to end it, but I don't like to lose. That's the deal with most people. Nobody likes to lose.

David Kelly
08-02-2001, 01:20 PM
I'd like to end it, but I don't like to lose. That's the deal with most people. Nobody likes to lose.

well, you lost. sorry...

Brandon Martus
08-02-2001, 01:32 PM
ill end it :p

i think this thread is stale anyway.