PDA

View Full Version : So, you're not an engineer! How do you help your team??

Elgin Clock
07-30-2004, 07:06 PM
In response to THIS THREAD (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29746)which seemed to have caused a bit of confusion/controversy of what an Engineer is (and who is an Engineer) I have decided to see how everyone else who is not an "Engineer" so-to-speak helps their team?

Students:
How do you help your team??
What path have you chosen to pursue as a career in life? (AKA: What do you want to to be when you grow up?)
Does this future have anything to do with how you help your team currently?

Adult mentors:
How do you help your team?
What's your current career?
Is this related to what you help out with on the team?

As for me, I am an adult mentor on Team 237. I am pursuing a CAD degree from a local college and help with CAD on my team when needed to.
(I do not consider myself an engineer by any means BTW..)
I also do a variety of other duties on the team including but not limited to:
Coaching (occasionally), Light mechanical duties on the robot if needed to, Clean out the team's closet.. (ugh.. lol), and help with web-page design and critiquing/giving our web team feedback..

Joe Matt
07-30-2004, 07:14 PM
This is weird. I really don't know. Sure, I do the strategy, scouting, and other media and PR bits, but it seems like there is more. I don't know, I feel weird when I think of it.

OK, enough of you guys being the shrink...

I work on PR, media, scouting, and strategy, and I hope to cross over to the student head field next year. If you saw the video feed we had at Champs this year, that was my work, same with the preview video from this year. We also set up a cool little scouting system and that worked good. When I go to college I hope to do computer science and/or computer information systems.

Billfred
07-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Well, I'm kinda in limbo on those questions, but lemme take a stab at the questions.

This year, I did some of almost everything...programmed a couple of lines, bolted some things down, cut down a shopping cart...a jack of all trades (but master of none). I also scouted at Palmetto, although the data was largely a waste due to the lack of use.

This fall, I will be attending the University of South Carolina studying elementary education. I do not plan to become an engineer (noun), although I certainly hope to engineer (verb) in the future. (Alright, so ghettofab might be the better descriptor, but in the meanwhile...)

sanddrag
07-30-2004, 07:34 PM
I help my team with everything except programming and sheet metal fabrication. Hopefully in 4 years from now, I can call myself an engineer. :)

Solace
07-30-2004, 07:37 PM
I heckle. Alot. I also do lots fabrication and driving, but those are not nearly as important as the heckling. the burning desire to prove me wrong was one of my team's main motivations. :ahh:

Joshua May
07-30-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty much the jack-of-all-trades.

I lead in the Programming, Electronics, Animation, CAD, and the website, and then I work on the Mechanics and Design as well, pretty much everything but Media. Oh, and I also did the drive testing and I was the Coach at competition, and also did some scouting with regards to which of the teams to really look out for at competition, and I was the President.

I aspire to be either some sort of engineer (EE, perhaps) or an architect, either way I hope to work with FIRST for as long as I possibly can.

Jaine Perotti
07-30-2004, 07:52 PM
there are many things for non engineers to do on our team.
Our team also recently started doing animation...we trained a whole bunch of students this summer. Our coach has been wanting us to learn it for the longest time, but we didn't have anyone to teach us. We finally raised enough funds this year to train everyone interested in animation for free.
We also have to do a lot of marketing in order to raise money. We have a marketing committee who writes letters, organizes visits to different businesses, and organizes fundraising events. I am the student marketing director, as well as other things.
Another important non engineering job on our team is robot/crate aesthetics. Our team has been lacking in art on both our robot and crate for many years. This year, however, we finally decided to decorate our robot a little...we painted our pull-up arm blue and used chrome tape for the lettering. I also drew a couple of question marks on the lexan sheild once when I was bored. Right now, we have to get our crate looking better though...we have used the same one for at least 3 years and while it looks nice a bright blue, I think some bright yellow question marks painted on it would look really cool.
Scouting is another non engineering job. It is really importrant for us to be able to gather information on other teams. Back when we had about only 3 or 4 members onthe team, it was impossible to scout; when it was time to pick alliance partners we just took random guesses as to who we should pick. Now it is alot better...we have about five or six people at a time in the stands gathering information and entering it into a database.

overall, i think there is a lot of non engineering roles on the team. Almost anyone can find their place.

jonathan lall
07-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Oooh, life story time.

I'm happy to say that I've worked on every aspect of the team's development since I joined, with the notable excption of programming/electronics (because that job's for softies :p). First year, I spat out prototypes at a blinding speed and helped out a little with our successful Chairman's bid. I knew far more than anyone in my year, but I also had much to learn. This was satiated by how much work I put into the actual final assembly of the robot that year, simply because there was a low turnout starting with exams and never really ending. By my second year, my brother and I were the two main designers and builders on the team. While he did the gearbox, it was often Steve W and I protoyping the function in Mr. Anderson's garage, sometimes alone (you'd be scared too). I put in some machine shop time on our gearbox as well, but that department was handled almost exclusively by Tristan. This was probably my most engineering-oriented year, which was not only out of necessity, but also out of interest in doing that kind of stuff. I got to be the human player, and only incurred one penalty, which happened in our final match on Curie in an ambitious six-two-stack, but it didn't matter anyway. I was a ****ing good human player. But by 2004, I was by far the most experienced student on the team; this meant that I had to start working in a leadership role and offer smaller contributions to every aspect of the team, from writing the Woodie Flowers essay with J Flex, to designing our website. Then I took over dutes as driver. It left a lot less time for engineering, most of which I did at the machine shop on our behemoth trannies. Yeah, you know the ones. Anyway, recently I've been picking up the slack for my year's low contributions to the team.

I see a trend of jacks-of-all-trades in this thread, but perhaps that isn't surprising on a FIRST-themed forum. Now, all these engineering overtones, and my engineering roles on the team would suggest I become an engineer. I certainly enjoyed playing them. But nope, I'm too self-respecting to become an engineer. Try lawyer.

*ducks*

Astronouth7303
07-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Ok, I confess, I started it. Aparently I am not an engineer (at least to some people).

I program. I am the programming team.

Steve W
07-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Jonathan to become a lawyer you will have to learn to take your hands out of your pockets so that you can put them into others. :)

As a mentor ( I can't say adult because some say that I never grew up ) I provide cookies, donuts and snacks. Well that's part of it. I work for Bell Canada as a tech. I love the trouble shooting aspects of my job. I tend to be a project oriented person that gets bored of day to day routines. I also am a jack of all trades. This year I learned pneumatics, I help with design, I cut with the table saw (no comments from our team please), I put together and take apart and then put back together, I try to challenge the students and mentors, I also am a pain in the neck. I stir up trouble, play practical jokes (Hinkel, that washer is on backwards again) and try to inspire. I try to do all aspects of the robot if I can. I stay out of the way of programmers (they are already handicapped) and any aspect of paperwork.

I am also an embarrassment to the team. For some reason they don't like to be seen with me but I still wear the colours proudly. I try to promote FIRST and our team. I do some fund raising (still #1 chocolate bar salesman) and I try to be available to help were I can.

Most of all I attempt to remember that FIRST is about the students. I try to do whatever I can to help them to be the best that they can. I am also jealous that I never had this opportunity when I was in school. But then when I was in school we were learning about a device that filled many rooms and was the newest and latest invention. Known today as the computer. :o

Bharat Nain
07-30-2004, 09:19 PM
I am lucky that I had the opportunity to help out in almost every part of the team. My main role on the team is programming and manipulating the robot arm, but I seem to have memorized all the mechanical stuff about the robot, and also be on the volcano crew for a while, it was great education and fun.

In the future, I plan either for mechanical engineering, bio-genetic engineering or something in the media field. My role on the team definitely relates to all these, I have been the camera man for many events last off-season.

I love robotics, it has a spot for every kinda future career a student chooses.

Corey Balint
07-30-2004, 09:56 PM
I could not have expected as much to happen to me by joining robotix. My career aspirations changed, just everything is different then expected. During competitions im the main driver, and also learned alot about the mechanical aspects over the year, so i help out in pits, and refurbishing during times with no competitions. I also spent times as head scout, so i pretty much did alot and experienced alot all in one season.

Im thinking i wanna double major in Mech Eng(possibly or some other type of Eng) and Business. I never wouldve wanted to be an engineer without it. I always wanted to do something in sports management, and this gave me another, more realistic option.

And all the stuff i plan on doing in my life, i try to use in robotix. Next year i think im going to help out with the business aspects of the team and also be more involved in the build and pits.

Elgin Clock
07-30-2004, 10:56 PM
I love robotics, it has a spot for every kinda future career a student chooses.
I agree, and I just wish that in the future, the scholarship opportunities available to students who participate in FIRST will be more than just engineering based scholarships.

white_ChocOlat8
07-30-2004, 10:57 PM
In these past months I've found that engineering is not for me but I did however discover something Iím really good at and that is talking to people. So what I do for my team is I help search for the new sponsors every year. eh it's not a bad gig. :cool:

Jon K.
07-30-2004, 11:23 PM
On RAGE I was the Human player for WPI Battlcry 4 and Bash at the Beach last year, and HP for UTC Regional, The Championship Event, and WPI Battlecry 5. I also do a lot of random things on the team. I learned the basics of Mastercam and CNC machining this year, to produce our teams sprockets as well as some for teams 809, and 195, along with the designing and fabricating of our Team awards this year. I am trying to learn PHP for our website this coming season and thats pretty much it.
Also I am not quite sure what I want to do yet, possibly something to do with machining but I am not sure.

nobrakes8
07-30-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm a student on 1071. I specialize in manufacturing (machineing). I'm an apprentice tool maker for Utitec Inc (http://www.utitec.com). which does ultra precision machineing, so I pretty much can machine anything square, rectangular, round, from aluminum material (light and soft) to CPM 10V (very hard and heavy) material. I can machine just about anything you could imagine. If team 1071 needs a part pretty accurate i could machine by hand up to .0003" to .0005" (ten thousandths) tolerences if they need me to.(Usually in robotics we're just handed parts and use dial calipers and stuff just to get sizes close within a few thousandths of the size they need) In the future I hope to become a general manager or plant manager at a manufacturing shop and get a degrees in mechanical engineering and some type of business administration degree.

Cory
07-31-2004, 12:31 AM
Over the last four years I've done some of pretty much everything with the exception of animation and programming.

I like mechanical stuff the best. I do CAD, design, build, all that good stuff.

The last two years I've done a lot of leadership stuff along with most of the day to day runnings of the team.

I've also been lucky enough to get to actually go out on the field and compete one way or another for the last three years.

Cory

meaubry
07-31-2004, 06:37 AM
Adult mentors:
How do you help your team? I'm the team co-leader and usually, do many things to help the team, both administrative stuff and technical stuff, such as;
planning and reviewing the budget, participating in the leadership committee meetings where most of the travel type decisions are made, recruit company employees, act as the communication link to the rest of the engineers and company management, and approve spending requests. I lead the brainstorming at kickoff, lead the fabrication and assembly of the robots. I plan the robot build - maintain the schedule and assure the weight requirement is met. Help out with the design of the robot, hold daily lunchtime design/build review meetings during the build cycle, and assist in maintaining the Bill of Materials. I order parts and material needed. I usually work with the drive team - selection and tryouts as well as, practice with them and on the field coaching (sometimes). I am on the Pit team, set up tear down, and help maintain/repair the robot during the events. I work very closely with the team leaders at the school to make sure we are all on the same page regarding our goals and aspirations.

What's your current career? At this time I am leading the implementation of Configuration Management at our division and work closely with all of the business functions but mainly deal with Engineering and Information Technology (IT) departments. I have a MS and BS in Management, but started out going for a BS in Engineering, but then changed my career choice to Secondary Education (Industrial - Drafting, Machine Shop, etc.) Landed a great Design job just before the 2nd to last semester in my senior year and worked in Design/Engineering for many years. While working, I choose to finish up on my education by pursuing a Business degree at night. I had aspirations of managing or starting my own business someday. In fact, I did manage our Design Services group and Prototype Administration group prior to this last assignment. In the evenings (during the off season), I teach class at Baker College in Auburn Hills. I usually teach Mechanical Drawing, CAD, and Design type classes.

Is this related to what you help out with on the team? Yes, I think the things that I do or have done during my career are very related to what I do for our team. I would encourage everyone to give being part of a FIRST team a try, as I tell folks when recruiting at work - the only requirements for participating is 1) you are committed to encouraging students to consider a career in Science and Technology, and 2) you really care about helping students. Everyone has something to offer - theres plenty to do to keep a team going and maintaining a successful program.

Beth Sweet
07-31-2004, 06:07 PM
The way that I helped my team can be described in two letters. P.R. I have a very large mouth (as anyone who knows me well knows) and I am not afraid to talk to people. I have done not only a lot of documentation on the HOT Team, but I have also shown a lot of people in FIRST "a new perspective of the team." I'm very proud of the work that I've been able to do, even though I'm not an engineer.

J Flex 188
07-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Plenty. plenty you can do to help your team

try FLL, even if youre not an engineering oriented person you can help these kids. if your team doesnt mentor an FLL team, look into the matter if you have the resources.

if you dont have the resources, look into your teams fundraising situation, begin by identifying local sponsors and work upwards from there, look over cover letters, proposals, presentations and deliver a well-versed appeal for funds.

build season, LEARN. im looking to do so much more machining and whatever else on 188 next year based on the fact i know i can handle the non-techinical side of it with the same speed and precision say tristan would have on those gearboxes (hahahahaha).

read the rules, interpret them for your team, handle things like meeting organisation, whos going to bring food, documentation of the season, awareness in school and everything else in between. theres plenty to do. plenty.

KathieK
08-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Adult mentors:

I am entering my fourth year on RAGE as an adult mentor. I have been the travel coordinator; "secretary" who creates and disseminates the meeting agendas and minutes; I create and disseminate the monthly newsletter which goes to sponsors, school administrators, and town officials; chaperone; mentor for the Chairman's Award committee; mentor for the Awards committee; participated on our Hospitality committee. Assisted our team leader with many administrative functions.

Co-founded FIRST NEMO (non-engineering mentor organization) this spring with Jenny Beatty (Team 007) and Cheryl Miller (Team 294). We hope to bring workshops for adult mentors on all things non-engineering to the Regional Competitions this coming season.

I started out wanting to write children's literature. I obtained an associates degree and certification as a library technical assistant and went to work for United Technologies Corporation (UTC) in the late 70s so I was working for engineers and scientists for 25 years. At the end of my career there I was maintaining the library web site after we went virtual in the late 90s. After being laid off I obtained my current position maintaining the web site for a small private women's college. My current position has had little impact on what I do for the team; my previous position taught me about establishing goals, implementing business procedures, communicating, punctuality, and nurtured my detail-oriented approach to life, which drives my family crazy. I bring much of that to the team (my extended family). I'm sure it drives them crazy, too!

MissInformation
08-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Adult mentors:

For the most part, I am the main photographer for the team. I also work on team spirit and outreach. I'm one of the adults who have been through the security check for the school, which allows us to have meetings without a teacher being present. I also supply lots and lots of sugar (lollipops, cookies, brownies, toffee bark...). And as of last year, I now (*shudder*) chaperone on trips.

My job title is "Covenants Counselor". I work for the homeowners association for one of the largest planned communities in the country, and my job is to inspect houses for maintenance violations and design violations (see, I told you I was an Evil Overlord) and to help people with Design Review Board applications, and to help clusters keep their standards updated (each town house development is a "cluster" with their architectural standards). I'm responsible for 2,198 homes in 33 different clusters. No, I don't really see how my job is related to what I do on the team (other than the fact that I do a lot of photography for my job as well as for the team). But my job has taught me to be really calm in stressful situations. And I guess constantly working with homeowners has helped me with doing outreach. Before becoming a counselor, I was a meeting coordinator and helped facilitate DRB meetings and wrote minutes and such... (ick, minutes!)

Heidi

RoboMom
08-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Adult mentors:

I was asked to help during a big transition with mentors 3 years ago, had a crash course in FIRST and stayed on. Iíve helped with all the non-engineering aspects of running a team. Business plan, budgets, travel, approaching sponsors, parent involvement, communicating what the team is doing, setting up systems for getting from point A to point B. I often bring up the ďethicsĒ of a decision. Staying organized. My goal is to always help set it up so this very student run team can continue to do it themselves and take ownership. I am a factotum. My son is team president this year and I hope to move on to helping with a regional. He has been so mature about having his mom on the team.

I was a Project Coordinator for many research studies at Johns Hopkins for years and those are the skills that I use with the team. Itís amazing how many of the skills are the same. I am a RN with a Masters degree in Public Health. I have worked on many ďIndianĒ reservations and with the Amish and continue to be interested in cross-culture issues and issues that affect the world. I often see things in terms of the big picture.

But careers have not been linear for me and I am often juggling a few things at the same time. I am a former forest ranger and have taught outdoor education one day/week for the past 15 years. I have been a school nurse. I love being around kids. I am taking a little break from Hopkins now. For the past 2 years, I've worked part time as a ďdescriptive analystĒ for the McCormick company. I have the ability to taste, smell and describe products. So I work in a group that helps McCormick develop new products, foods youíve all probably eaten. Team 007 is hoping to have a few more fundraising taste-testings this year!

FIRST is amazing in that it is about science and technology. But it is so much more. It is one of the best educational programs Iíve ever seen, despite the fact that I'm still at a loss to describe pneumatics :D .

tiffany34990
08-02-2004, 06:39 PM
as a student on my teams well umm good ? how do i help--well i'm in the pit crew so basically i help clean up, find the tools for the engineers-- i help make the parts-- i love the work on the lathe and milling machine and drill press is good too-- remember stuff for the guys on the team--i'm the person they usually make find something or do something and as a veteran and all i oversee things and help out in various things like fundraising, improvements, teaching the rookies, website and all the fun stuff

but i want to go into medical research--doen't really help the team--but later on in the community and the world

everyone helps though in their own way-- it's a great big family i see it as- pretty much during the 6 weeks the ppl on u'r team that's who u see and deal with through the good times and bad times

Koko Ed
08-02-2004, 07:07 PM
I answered this in a NEMO thread.

I am a third year animation mentor on team 191 the X-Cats.
My wife, who is a teacher at Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School (computer programming) was offered to join the team by another teacher at the school, Peggy Foos. My wife asked if I wanted to join and do animation which I always wanted to do.
I work at Xerox as a meterials handler which is basically a fork truck driver, I must be the only one involved in FIRST. I have worked at Xerox for over 16 years. I also attend RIT majoring in Computer Graphics and Fine Arts (which I guess means I could have been a Visioneer or even a Finney Falcon, then again I could have been a Sparx as well) and I am now three courses away from a Bachelors Degree, I had first attended RIT to do animation (but those courses were only for graduate students not for part time night students) Over ten years later I get the opportunity to do animation for the X-Cats.
I also do major artistic endevors like the massive banner we bring along to the competitions and this year worked on the parts crate and at the competitions I am a chaperone (help my wife and Mrs. Foos make sure the kids are where they are supposed to be and that they have money, food, ect.)

Steve Howland
08-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Students:
How do you help your team??
What path have you chosen to pursue as a career in life? (AKA: What do you want to to be when you grow up?)
Does this future have anything to do with how you help your team currently?

During the season I ran the pit and helped repair the bot, and in the off-season I operated and once again worked in the pit. Now I am creating the website (up Wednesday with luck) and will be working on Chairman's and doing more operating next season.

Not really sure what I will be when I grow up...but whatever it is will heavily involve math (strongest/favorite subject).

I guess my jobs don't have too much to do with math but website development is like a puzzle so in a way the two are related.

Ryan Foley
08-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Heres what I have done over my 4 years:
-Restarted the team from scratch sophomore year.
-Captain since sophomore year (my other favorite part)
-basic design
-detailed design
-mechanical construction
-electrical construction
-control system design/ hookup (my favorite part)
-programmer (at one point the only programmer, but this year i just helped come up with the basics of what it should do)
-driver
-coach
-scouting
-strategist
-rules expert
-webmaster (during 2002/2003, this year our programming expert took that over)

now I am an alumni hoping to come back next year and help when and where i can

i'll edit this if i forgot something, which i probably did.

Alex Pelan
08-03-2004, 09:28 AM
This year my"job title" was controls, which covers electronics and programming. However, since two kids decided to stay late and come in early the day before I was supposed to start wiring, when I came back, there was no wiring to be done. So, I mostly did assorted odd jobs, and helped pre-wiring on the controls board. I also tended to do a lot of "go get me a ____" jobs. Fun stuff! At this point in time, I am looking into an EE and/or a Computer Science major(emphasis on the and).

Seacrest Out!

Aaron Knight
08-03-2004, 10:27 AM
My primary end is organization. While I have programming experience, and things like that, I find myself less involved in it. I like to tinker, but I give in to the experience of actual engineers and the students who know more about what they're doing.

Mike
12-05-2004, 11:04 AM
As far as I know im the programming team... ted said the programmer left last year >.<

JakeGallagher
12-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Whatever is broken, I fix.
Whatever needs animated, I animate.
Whatever needs updated or needs info collected, I update or collect info.
Whatever needs done, (aside from hardcore engineering) I do.
Whoever needs help, I help.

Elgin Clock
12-05-2004, 09:48 PM
As far as I know im the programming team... ted said the programmer left last year >.<
As far as students yes.. We still have a dedicated programming/electrical mentor. And other electrical students.

Madison
12-06-2004, 12:03 AM
As a mentor, I try to lead by example whenever possible, so that means that I do a lot of things that piss off a lot of other people. I don't play well with others, generally speaking, because I want for people to learn to be self-sufficient. It's not that I can't work well in a team, but that I've learned that it's exceptionally important to be able to stand on your own at times. Life's not always easy and I don't accept much by way of excuses. I am, above all else, always a vocal supported of education. A lack of knowledge about some subjects is okay; a lack of initiative to learn more is not.

That said, I am typically responsible for mechanical design and drafting. I design components for fabrication, but I don't handle the fabrication. I suppose that also places me in charge of outsourcing. :) While I'm not an engineer (yet?), I've learned a lot about acceptable practice in mechanical design over the years from studying the work of others and believe that I'm a valuable asset.

FIRST is about a lot more than robots, as these students are growing up and learning about the way the world works from their mentors. We don't just teach them about engineering, we teach them about life. I think it's of paramount importance that, in addition to showing them the benefits their works as engineers might have, we concurrently provide for them opportunities to explore other paths and maintain respect for and awareness of paths that we do not choose to follow, but are no less valuable, acceptable, or important.

MoeMom
04-12-2005, 09:07 PM
cheer
lend a hand or two
listen
nudge
encourage
brain storm
sew kilts (!!) and capes (!!)
volunteer at FRC and FLL events
drive robots to public appearances
channel energy/guide students' literacy outreach
contact congresspersons
promote science/engineering/technology education
sometimes help write grants
try to keep up!

I'm a MOEmom, and I'm proud of you all!
Go! Make a better world!

Allison K
04-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm an alumni-mentor. I don't have a job title, as I'm kind of a unique entity on our team. There are other alumni-mentors as well but we all have different amounts of time and different skills to bring to the group, so most of us are floaters, so to speak.

-Train the scouts and oversee the scouting process.
-Run the offseason program (The technical and non-technical divisions, which include organizing fundraising and outreach projects, finding new sponsors, getting all the old robots up and running, build a new crate and cart, team building fun).
-Idea Machine (This is everyone on the team really, but I compile the ideas into emails and send them to the necessary people).
-Field coach.
-I bring the goldfish (The edible kind).
-During build, I jump from group to group, helping where I can, and I spent a lot of time supervising in the machine shop.
-Currently I'm helping the seniors organize their senior project (which has been intergrated into the offseason program).

I'm currently a college student, working towards a degree in secondary education (debating between majoring in chemistry, biology, physics, psychology, or some computer science or application).

I suppose that anything I do that's working with high school students is related to a secondary education degree, so yes.

~Allison

Ryan Dognaux
04-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I've been doing animation during the build season and scouting during the competition season for my four years with Cyber Blue. Next year, I'll be going into Computer Graphics Technology at Purdue. From there, who knows, it all depends on what I end up actually specifying my major as.. which I have no idea as to what that will be yet. Most likely something that requires a lot of technical skills, but at the same time some artistic ability. A bit of both sides of the brain.

With scouting - a lot of teams have adapted scouting to include computers with huge databases and all that jazz. I, personally, have found that unnecessary. We do it pen and paper style, everything is kept in a notebook, and scouting reports on the teams we're going up against go to the pits to assist in creating a strategy. It's simple, and it has been proven to work well.

While I'm most definately going to continue with FIRST into college... I don't know what I want to do on the team I mentor. Guess we'll see...

Josh Hambright
04-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I help my team with alot of different areas, atleast i like to think i help out more then i get in the way. But i help mostly with electrical, controls, pneumatics, and programming, the same areas i was incharge of back in high school, except now i just help them solve problems and help them get stuff done rather then doing the brunt of the work like the old days. I also help out with mechical when i can, strategy, CAD, website, animation, video production, public relations, and just about any other area.

My career right now is retail. I am an employee of Target. Which has just about nothing to do with robots. Except i now know how everything in the backroom that is sweet and hydrolic and pneumatic and mechanical works because of robots, but that doesn't really help me at robotics. I am also a student, which does i guesse help me with robotics, because i'm in the CS program at the local community college until i move away in august to Bloomington.

I work at Xerox as a meterials handler which is basically a fork truck driver, I must be the only one involved in FIRST.
While i dont actualy drive a fork lift, i do work in the backroom alot and I'm certified to use the big powered pallet jack that can lift stuff really high in the air. The equipment in the back room rocks!

Mike Ciance
04-12-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm a student. My official jobs are:

Lead Animator - did 99% of the work for the AVA
Co-Leader of Scouting - second in command
Chairman's Committee Member - mainly an editor
RINOS Committee Member - rookie "tour guide"

With scouting - a lot of teams have adapted scouting to include computers with huge databases and all that jazz. I, personally, have found that unnecessary. We do it pen and paper style, everything is kept in a notebook, and scouting reports on the teams we're going up against go to the pits to assist in creating a strategy. It's simple, and it has been proven to work well.i agree 100% - a well-designed scouting sheet can be more efficient than any computer system. maybe Tablet PCs could score even, but paper is cheaper and doesn't crash ;)

SlimsGirl
04-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Iím an ďadultĒ mentor on team 188 and like Steve Warren, I work for Bell Canada as well. However, I work in a more administrative position than tech. The only way my day job relates to the team is that I do help push papers and organize the students and events.

I also work on a contract basis as a computer graphics designer. Thatís where I try to shine on the team. I give guidance and input on layouts of print & web work that the students create.

Oddly enough, this year I mostly helped out with Team Spirit. Itís odd because Iím generally a quite person. But in this yearís competition, I yelled my heart out for the teams and lost my voice for a while. Some people are slightly reserved when it comes to cheering and dancing around, but once you get them revved up, the tables turn and youíre the one feeding off their energy.

I feel especially fortunate working with a bunch of wonderful students and will miss those who are graduating this year. But I canít wait to meet new students next year and have yet another awesome season.

Justin 188
04-17-2005, 06:57 AM
Yay for media people!

I think I'm one of the oddities in FIRST in that it inspired me to pursue a career in art (graphic design), rather than science and engineering. My first experience with Photoshop was because of my involvement on Team 188, and it basically just spun from there. Now I come back and teach graphics.

Engineers make it work; designers make it look gooood. :D

KathieK
04-17-2005, 07:01 AM
As I've said before, FIRST is not just about inspiring students who would normally gravitate towards science and engineering, it's also about getting those who would normally gravitate towards the humanities to get excited about science and technology!

Bill Moore
04-17-2005, 11:33 AM
- Animation Mentor (4 years)
- Competition scout
- Competition videographer
- Computer hardware setup/troubleshooting
- (Sometimes) Runner for items we forgot to bring to Regionals.:D

- Research Technician, currently working on polymeric materials development.
- B.S. Degree in Horticulture (no, that is not a form of engineering)

- Not directly.
- Basically, I fill in some areas where we do not have someone professionally qualified for a task.
- I started as a parent (as many of the MOE mentors), and have stayed because of the great folks (adults and students) in this program.

Chase
05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm the team photographer (having my own dark room pretty much means I qualify).
I would, however, like to have more to do with building and/or game play.