PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane warnings

Barry Bonzack
08-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but I just wanted to know if anyone is preparing for the big hurricanes coming to our state. I wish luck to the cities on the western coast. I am near Orlando and the news said it might still be a category 1 hurricane by the team it reaches here. I don't have school tomorrow either because of it. Here's to hoping it randomly chooses to go back out to sea.

Lisa Perez
08-12-2004, 04:23 PM
We'll be praying for you guys

Arefin Bari
08-12-2004, 04:26 PM
i am in Ft. lauderdale... i have been getting lots of winds and rains today (thursday)... there is a warning for this hurricane at the keywest... all we can do right now and sit down here and watch what happens... :(

Ryan Albright
08-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Ya i live in ft. Lauderdale but going to orlando starting today to get everything in order to move up there on wed. The hurricane is suppost to hit up there so i went out and got everythign ready i needed. All we can do now is wait. I am used to hurricanes tho happens like this every year

CourtneyB
08-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Ya my cuzin and her family lives in St.Petersburg by Tampa and she had to evacuate from her house. I havent heard from her yet so hopefully there ok and everything lol It would haveta suck evacuating your house and everything.

spears312
08-12-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm sitting in St. Pete and my family and I are getting ready to head inland. I'm just hoping that our house doesn't flood out from the surges and, more importantly, there are no fatalities from this storm. My prayers are with all the people in the affected areas.

Heretic121
08-12-2004, 06:52 PM
isnt st. pete on the west coast?? so its a gulf storm!?! hmm...

*goes off to Weather channel, while thinking about family who lives on Treasure Island which is right on the coast...

Tytus Gerrish
08-12-2004, 07:22 PM
WOO HOOO!!! Waves.

ive been through alto of huricanes, the Only realy bad one ive seen has been ANdrew in 92. since then the building standards have all been upgraded so i expect things to be alot safer.

Dorienne
08-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah I'm going with Lisa.
I'm praying for y'all too. Hurricanes are really creepy sometimes.
We had one last year that was really bad. We missed like almost a week of school.
Right in the beginning of the year!
Anyways, you're in my prayers.
--Dori

MrsT
08-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Oh yesss....Treasure Island is probably under mandatory evacuation as we speak!

It's so weird....I never heard of those places until last week when I spent a week of vacation on Tierra Verde Island and thoroughly explored St Petes, Treasure Island, Johns Pass ( LOVE THE HUT!), and Madiera Beach.

Praying for safe evacuation and miraculous lack of property damage.

Lisa T :)

Tytus Gerrish
08-12-2004, 08:51 PM
palm beach and martin county are ther only ones going to school tomarro. so swamp and spam are the only ones in florida that have school tomarro. Oh wait, that means me :( Great

Michael R. Lee
08-12-2004, 09:10 PM
It's better than having to make the day up though over like Spring or Winter Break. You have to have the 180 days of class. :D

But tomorrow I'm going to have to put up the shutters. No one seems to moving stuff inside around here. :( And we're getting the rain and the wind.

Good luck and stay safe!

JoeXIII'007
08-12-2004, 09:31 PM
I wish you guys luck and my prayers. Out of curiosity, what are you going to do while waiting for the hurricane(s) to pass? Play Magic? View CD (that is, if you maintain power)? Play cards? Board games? Etc.?

tiffany34990
08-12-2004, 09:32 PM
umm now at 9:30 martin county doesn't go to school so s.p.a.m. kids home so therefore we might have to make up the day during winter break--dec. 31-news years eve--what a great way to end the year in school :( --all well-- i rather go in 1/2 day and not make up the day but sleeping in is okay

we shall live through this hurricane it's okay not that bad

spears312
08-12-2004, 10:21 PM
I wish you guys luck and my prayers. Out of curiosity, what are you going to do while waiting for the hurricane(s) to pass? Play Magic? View CD (that is, if you maintain power)? Play cards? Board games? Etc.?

I'm gonna be listening to my iPod, and if powers on, try to get on AIM to remain in contact with friends and such. I was thinking about talking to friends on my cell, but even right now the towers are being overloaded with calls. If I can get on-line I will probably also check in on CD and try and update the areas condition. I just hope that our school doesn't flood, when I left today, some of our bots were still on the ground :ahh: .

Elgin Clock
08-12-2004, 11:44 PM
So... The National weather service had the greatest opportunity to make a cool set of names for these storms and they dropped the ball.

Obviously if you have a phenomenon of 2 potential hurricanes happening at the same time for the first time in 100 years or so, and you name the first one Bonnie.. wouldn't it make sense to name the second one Clyde???

C'mon NWS... Get in the swing of things here.

That said, the waves in NH were great today after the little rain that was going on there yesterday, it's just too bad that I am back in CT now.

Oh well...

Good luck to all you folks down in the South-East USA!

Joshua May
08-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Good luck to yall, if there's one thing I miss from the east coast, it's hurricans, we're lucky to get rain here in the Cali desert. :rolleyes:

Tytus Gerrish
08-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Great. the one county that has school tomarro in all of florida and it has to be mine. well, better sleep for school tomarro.

Melissa Nute
08-12-2004, 11:59 PM
I'm not preparing for it....but the millions of over reacting people in Jacksonville are. The storm isn't even going to *really* hit us here.

But us Floridians know how to handle times like these. Heck, it isn't even that bad of one.

JudyVandy
08-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Thoughts and prayers are with you Floridians in what seems to be turning into 'Hurricane Alley.' I hope the storm surge doesn't get as high as predicted.

BTW, when did you start school? August 1???? When does your school year generally end? Our part of PA usually starts the week before Labor Day.

Dan Richardson
08-13-2004, 02:38 AM
I'm not really doing anything lol

Not to worried about it.. prob. just gonna be like another big thunderstorm we get every afternoon:-)

but still I'll be prayin for the people who are supposed to get hit pretty hard.

btw i'm ft. lauderdale

Barry Bonzack
08-13-2004, 02:51 AM
BTW, when did you start school? August 1???? When does your school year generally end? Our part of PA usually starts the week before Labor Day.

My county started school last Thursday, Aug. 5th. Our last day will be Mar 23rd... w00t begin the countdown! I'd assume Florida's spring and summer seasons start much earlier than PA... things start warming up about February.

Joshua May
08-13-2004, 10:00 AM
My county started school last Thursday, Aug. 5th. Our last day will be Mar 23rd... w00t begin the countdown! I'd assume Florida's spring and summer seasons start much earlier than PA... things start warming up about February.

Wow, here we start September 7 and get out June 10.

And this doesn't seem to be too bad of a hurricane outside of the coast and the direct hit zone, I think it's only a 2 right now. I remember Floyd however made my hometown into an island a few years back. :yikes:

Anyways, good luck to all of you.

GILLIGAN!!!!!!!
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
ya, right now its only 1 mph lower than a cat 3, but hopefully after it passes through, it will do all of us surfers a favor and kick up some swells by sunday :D !

Keep your fingers crossed

JoeXIII'007
08-13-2004, 11:02 AM
So... The National weather service had the greatest opportunity to make a cool set of names for these storms and they dropped the ball.

Obviously if you have a phenomenon of 2 potential hurricanes happening at the same time for the first time in 100 years or so, and you name the first one Bonnie.. wouldn't it make sense to name the second one Clyde???

C'mon NWS... Get in the swing of things here.

Not to make too much light out of the situation, I think it was just pure coincidence and luck that they name a 'cane "Charley" after our 2004 robot. :D

Barry Bonzack
08-13-2004, 01:29 PM
unplugging the computers and getting ready. see you all soon

Dan Richardson
08-13-2004, 01:44 PM
wow I take what I said back, I thought it was only a cat 1 or most 2... I just flipped on the news, and realized its a cat 4... wow, Ft. Meyers and Port Charelot area have never been hit like this before. Apparently like 15 ft. storm surge, thats insane.

I'll be prayin for you guys... I'm not really scared cuz it looks like its gonna miss Ft. Lauderdale and most of the rest of south east florida. We'll just get rain most likely.

Well good luck guys.

Stephen Kowski
08-13-2004, 02:31 PM
woohoo....tampa outta the fire....i feel bad for fort myers, but I'm off the hook neways....

MattK
08-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Crap Cat4... ya'll better hang on tight!

Cat4's are really scary (although how would I know... I live in New Hampster)

Alex Pelan
08-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Mar. 31st? June 10th? We usually don't get out till like the 19th here, not to mention that we start August 25th, which is a lot earlier than most other schools here. Not to mention that we're the only public schools in the state in school on Columbus day. Anyways, I hope everyone is doing okay, we'll keep you in our thoughts.

tiffany34990
08-13-2004, 04:20 PM
and here it comes--lol-- we'll live so we missed some school but hey kinda of funny missing the first friday of the school year--

martin county school district started school mon. aug. 9th-- go us-- yeah we are fairly early but i grad. on may 27th @ sfhs

prayign for the west coast of florida right now!!!

it's just a bit breezy here and gonna have rain but s.p.a.m.'s end of florida will be okay and our bots too

Tytus Gerrish
08-13-2004, 05:05 PM
dude, i cant pass this up, Im Building a kite

Spammy Badame
08-13-2004, 05:17 PM
it's already hit port charlotte, and it's heading straight for orlando, but by that time it will be a category 3. i feel sorry for my cousin who lives in tampa, he was told to evacuate, and he went to take cover with his sister in orlando. i wish the best to them and to everyone else who is in the path of either of the hurricanes.

oh yeah, tytus, take pictures of you flying a kite, i wanna see what it looks like down there, it's looked great outside here until about 2 hours ago or so, but it feels like a sauna outside...

Joshua May
08-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Mar. 31st? June 10th? We usually don't get out till like the 19th here, not to mention that we start August 25th, which is a lot earlier than most other schools here. Not to mention that we're the only public schools in the state in school on Columbus day. Anyways, I hope everyone is doing okay, we'll keep you in our thoughts.

Well yall get snow up there, I lived in New Hampshire too, and I remember getting out late like that.

dude, i cant pass this up, Im Building a kite

Try taking the hoverbot out. :D

Stephen Kowski
08-13-2004, 08:06 PM
it's already hit port charlotte, and it's heading straight for orlando, but by that time it will be a category 3. i feel sorry for my cousin who lives in tampa, he was told to evacuate, and he went to take cover with his sister in orlando. i wish the best to them and to everyone else who is in the path of either of the hurricanes.

lol wow that sux....you don't actually listen to them when they tell you to evacuate. You don't trust weather people to predict the day to day weather do you? why listen to them about a hurricane....

CourtneyB
08-13-2004, 08:38 PM
I liek jsut got off the phone with my cuzin and like she said that it just missed where she lives (and she lives right across from the ocean too! lol) but its headin towards liek Orlando and Disney World :yikes: :ahh: . But hopefully it will miss there too lol thatd be terrible

suneel112
08-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Im praying for Florida and hoping that everyone's safe. Hopefully, it will turn into a minor weather disturbance which will only result in cancelling school. Meanwhile, up in Indiana, the weather is pretty cold. It is so cold, in fact, that it was warmer at the beginning of the year (January 1) than it is now.

Not to make too much light out of the situation, I think it was just pure coincidence and luck that they name a 'cane "Charley" after our 2004 robot.

Charlie (66's Robot) was a hurricane that took Curie (and almost Einstein) by storm. Thanks for pickin us for the "dream alliance".

Sorry for what I just said above, if anybody was offended. It just HAD to be said.

Jay H 237
08-13-2004, 09:02 PM
I just heard from other members of my family that my grandfather's house got clobbered in Cape Coral (Fort Myers). We know they are OK but they are without power and the house has suffered damage. The gutters and sections of the roof tiles are missing. The screened in pool enclosure has also been destroyed and pieces are in the canal behind and along side the house. Not just the screen but the actual aluminum frame. The extent of the damage isn't totally known yet as it's raining heavily and they haven't been outside for long to completely survey everything. Right now they're worrying about the damaged roof with the rain. :(

spears312
08-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Well I'm finally back home. We in the bay area got REAL lucky, if it hit us that storm surge would have been way up in our house. Even tough we were missed, it just tore apart the areas it did hit, and from what I hear the storm may have reached minimal Cat. 5 status for a few minutes just as it hit, but was never officially upgraded. I have already heard of at least two deaths, hopefully thats all.

Tytus Gerrish
08-13-2004, 11:00 PM
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?action=single&picid=8632
heres the huricane kite i made, after and before i took it out in the wind.
dont you find it ironic that i used the newspaper with the headline Huricane Charlie threatend west coast?.

BTY:West Palm Beach is on the east coast

Andrew Rudolph
08-15-2004, 12:13 PM
ucf got hit pretty hard...
http://www.housing.ucf.edu/charley.htm
campus has been closed last 2 days and they have had to cancel lots of things.

Spammy Badame
08-15-2004, 02:21 PM
I would just like to wish the best to those who don't have power such as barry (the person who started this thread) whose cell phone is working cuz it ran out of battery and he doesn't have an electrical outlet to charge it again. but i hope every FIRSTer (and even all the non-FIRSTers) is okay and will be ready for a great season next year, not to mention the robot rodeo.

Joshua May
08-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Charlie hit a lot harder than I thought it would, wow. My grandma lost power but thankfully her home wasn't damaged at all. Apparently Punta Gorda got pretty much leveled like what Andrew did to Homestead, and I really hope the best for anyone who was affected by this storm.

Franchesca
08-15-2004, 02:47 PM
I live in Tampa ... and originally the hurricane was coming toward us then it deviated and hit the Orlando area. But lucky for me (*sarcastically speaking*) my family had a convention to attend in Kissimmee Fl from the 13 - 15. We left Tampa on Thursday night, checked into the hotel and when we woke up on Friday morning we got ready to go to the convention. All the day ... the radio stations (all of them) were covering the hurricane and saying how it was now a category 4 and that it was no longer going to the Tampa area but coming right to us. Anyway, they cut the convention short and we went to the hotel early. The hurricane was schedule to hit our area around 8 - 10 p.m. Friday night. So it did and it was HORRIBLE!!! Wind was so strong it was blowing everything away, rocks were hitting our hotel window, water got into our room, and overall the power went out. Anyway, after it was over ... it all looked like a mess. Power (and in some places the water) was gone everywhere around us. NO LIGHT ... NOTHING!!!! :ahh: So the convention was canceled for the remaining time and we were sent home. As we were driving away we saw all of the mess ... huge signs had been destroyed and had fallen, trailer's roofs blown off, post and trees fallen ...etc.

Thankfully, the only activity in Tampa was a bit of rain. But I know that in other places it was much more destructible. I've lived trough 3 hurricanes (2 of which were category 4) and now 4 with this one. I know what the damages can be like after a hurricane and I hope that no one in this forum, or FIRST, or anywhere else was terribly affected by Charlie. And even if material damages occur the most important things is our lives so I hope that everyone is safe and secure!! :)

Gabe Salas Jr.
08-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks for your prayers. My house was near the eye and I live about twenty minutes away from Cocoa Beach. I know the eye of the storm went right through UCF, because my dad's apartment is about five minutes away from campus. Plus I was talking to him when the storm was going through :o

I know Florida Power and Light estimated that roughly one million people will be without power for about a week. Fortunately for me, no power outages, and no major damage, excepted for a couple of uprooted trees.

I hope everybody else is doing well under these pressing times.

Arefin Bari
08-15-2004, 09:15 PM
I just got a call from Barry (bonzack1390)... he told me that he is alright... and hurricane hit his place very badly... he will be back on delphi soon... and he will have bunch of pictures for us from the hurricane... :)

white_ChocOlat8
08-15-2004, 11:30 PM
I am a changed person from this storm and can only pray that I will never experience anything like this ever again and I have but one thing to say, appreciate your life and every gift it gives you.

Ryan Albright
08-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Well i just got back from my trip to Orlando. Orlando was hit pretty bad but not as bad as were the hurricane made landfall. Me and my dad on Saturday instead of going to the parks went into the neighborhoods and started to help them clean up. Its amazing how much destruction it did, i dont remeber Andrew being this bad. Alot of people are without power and they said they could be out of power up to two weeks. I saw flipped over 18 wheelers, buildings leveled to the ground, no power all over. All these people need prayer for the next couple of days casue the destruction is pretty bad

Barry Bonzack
08-19-2004, 12:20 AM
I finally got my internet up tonight. The past week has not been very much fun. I'll give a rundown of my happenings.

Thursday- Started this thread not thinking that anything would actually happen to me anyway. Trimmed palm trees around screened in porch closure around pool so they wouldn't tare it up when the wind blew.

Friday- unplugged computers and brought everything outside inside needed. Got ready. Went over to my friend Mike's house who had a generator. With a big storm coming at us, we actually played on the X-box and waited. Started getting nervous when the news kept changing the direction of the path closer and closer to my house. St. Cloud is right next to the kissimmee area, which was posted above, the eye came through that night. Mike, his dad, and I started talking big after it didn't seem so bad. "I bet the power doesn't even go out." Power went out, generator came on. we watched until we saw the eye was fairly close, so we went outside to play in it. It was fun. We were trying to see how far we could lean into the wind with it holding us up. Ran into the wind, ran against it, spat into it, got soaked. Went inside to play X-box through it. Didn't seem so bad...

Saturday- Woke up, cell phones were out, same with power, and land phone lines. Decided I needed to try to make it back to my house to see how it, my mom, and pets were doing. As we were driving, we saw many trees down and trees fallen on power lines over the road, the lines the only thing holding them up. Made it to my neighborhood, and three power poles were on the ground, and the lines completely blocked the entrance. We had a gated community there for a while. After finally making it to my house (had to go around the lines through the grass) everyone in my neighborhood seemed to be alright. There was a loral oak tree down in the front yard, and my screen in porch completely collapsed and is now in the pool.

Sunday- picked up sticks, walked around collecting shingles. Had the tree in the front yard chopped up, and I helped carry branches to the road. I was sweating like a pig farmer in the Florida heat. Continued to be one of the 2 million people in FL without power.

Monday- After finishing all the yard work I could do, my thoughts turned to my neighbors and friends. times of emergency seems to bring out the best in people. Our next door neighbor let us have an extension cord off of his generator to let us run our refrigerator, and another neighbor gave us a bag of ice. We helped our next door neighbor drag limbs from some of his fallen trees around back.

Went to the grocery store. All Publix grocery stores are now built with generators. entire isles of food were gone, and there weren't any bags of ice in town.

Street lights were out, making roads dangerous. all stop lights were supposed to be treated as a four way stop, causing much confusion and collisions. we tried to stay off major roads

Hardware stored were selling chainsaws and generators right off the truck. long lines for each generators, even at $600 a pop.

Cell towers were back up Monday night.

Tuesday- Finally got electricity at 10 AM, land phones at 2 pm, and water at 4pm. No more taking a bath in the pool with the screen in porch for me! I also walked around to every house in the neighborhood letting them know we decided to hold a neighborhood meeting at my house Wednesday night

Wednesday- got an estimate on screened in porch, and had him take estimates for neighbors. All services have been extremely busy, and has become impossible for people to get services such as this along with tree choppings, and roof repair. neighborhood meeting tonight to share services with each other when we can get them. also an appearance by a member of the school board, the sheriff, and channel 2 news. Gotta love the neighbors.

Also, just got internet up tonight. Its good to have robotics back up in my priority list, but still have a ways to go. Taking a nice break, and am aching from yard work. I'm discovering muscles I didn't even know I had!

All in all, I'm okay, my friends are okay, and this is just something we will all get through. No school until Monday for me, so I have a bit more time to get things straightened out, and perhaps even take an actual break. Thanks for all the prayers, they have been greatly appreciated. Hope everyone else is okay in the community. I will try to have a couple pictures up once I get some developed... I'll keep the number that I post limited.

Thanks to all,
Barry B.

Barry Bonzack
06-30-2005, 01:58 AM
I thought I'd bring this thread back to life. I was curious how many Floridians' lives still have not returned completely back to normal yet. We have been on the waiting list forever, and finally got our screened in porch put up last week. We have still yet to fix a gate on our fence, and of course a tree isn't going to just reappear in my yard, but other than that things are just now back to normal at my household. I'm glad we got our screened in porch put up, just in time for hurricane season. :rolleyes:

Franchesca
06-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Thankfully, there wasn't much damage done where I live (I mean -- none) but I know of some people that still haven't gotten fully compensated, rebuilt, or recovered from the hurricane season. Best of wishes to them! :)

Anyway, the REAL question is ... are you ready for this year's season?

I keep hearing mixed ideas ... some people say that it won't be as bad this year and others say that it will be just as bad or worse than last year. Any guesses??? :confused: