PDA

View Full Version : Huricane Ivan The Terrible

Tytus Gerrish
09-09-2004, 09:19 AM
OH boy. a third one. this is Obviusly not good. and would tie a record of 3 major huricanes hitting florida in one season.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W5+GIF/090853W5.gif

tiffany34990
09-09-2004, 10:26 AM
WHAT DID FLORIDA DO???!?!?!?!?!

another storm geez -- all well lived through this one-- trying to live without Internet--not working well--no cd very sad indeed--

all well-- still under the great state of emergency and well be again probably-- can this storm just disappear??????

well enjoy everyone!!! hopefully Florida will still be here in a few weeks-- good luck to rest of florida cleaning up and preparing for this another storm will it hit or will it not that is the real question not to be or not to be

ooh just to let my fellow spammers know (well that's if they can get online :confused: )-- as i know sfhs lost parts of it's roof nothing known about our lovely pit out back--but mr. higgins said he put up SAM up from the floor and power turned off --so if no trees damaged our roof and all -- i think our bots are fine hopefully they are

Melissa Nute
09-09-2004, 10:37 AM
As a former floridian...I believe mother nature for "natural selection" against those people that dont know how to vote.

It just sucks for everyone not apart of this "natural selection."

Ryan Albright
09-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Well as we look at this stormm i am just speechless, this is the beast. This is the 9th most powerful hurricane in hurricane history. This thing will be castrophic. They are saying this will wipe out jamica. As of 6 pm tonight they are evacuating the keys. Its already hit some islands and its just totally have wiped them out. There is still alot of places that are still not in school becasue of Frances and this is just going to screw up everything. I mean we have been in college for 3 weeks and we arre just missing so much class because of hurricanes since college has started i have been to english class once becasue of hurricanes. Well as we sit and wait we need prayer cause i have just gone thru two hurricanes and i have been thru andrew and never been worried. This one right here is a hurricane that could destroy alot of things

Stephen Kowski
09-09-2004, 01:31 PM
alright that's it.....im done with these &*$( hurricanes....im moving to some other state....

suneel112
09-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I am praying that Florida is spared, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem so. The wind is blowing north even in Indiana (it is pretty hot even up here). If the wind changes direction to go south, it may weaken just before it hits Texas.

My weather prayers will be in winter, when we have huge snowfalls and ice storms. I hate global warming.

Billfred
09-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Well, I'd recommend South Carolina, but we seem to be socked with them not that much less. (Actually, we're right on Ivan's path, last I saw...just our luck.)

I guess I'll extend the invitation now for all of the South Florida folks to come up here to Columbia and make it a week-long tailgate party before the USC-USF football game next Saturday. USC tailgating seems to take about that long anyway. (Alright, so we tailgate all day until kickoff. But you know what I mean.)

And remember--stay safe darnit!

Madison
09-09-2004, 02:07 PM
I nominate Tytus as the one who should be in charge or CD.com's new HotW thread. :)

Tytus Gerrish
09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
what's the HotW thread?

Billfred
09-09-2004, 02:27 PM
If it's what I think it is, Hurricane of the Week.

Swampdude
09-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Tytus is one of the unlucky ones to actually have physical damage to his home feed. They'll be the last to get help, maybe weeks... About 50% of the people I know still don't have power, and most just got there's within the last day or two. Now everyone is panicking and running North. This is so unbelievable, it's like a bad soap drama. This morning my wife was at the grocery store while the 11:00 advisory was coming out, when she went in it was calm and everything was pretty well stocked. By the time she left it was pure chaos, the store was jammed and shelves emptied again. I'm sure the gas lines will be miles long again tonight for people trying to get out of here. Plus there isn't a functioning street light anywhere, it's so dangerous out on the roads, everyones blowing through intersections everywhere you go. I feel for you Steve K if you've been without power since Charley. We were going nuts after a few days without it. Looks like the latest model now is saying more towards Tampa again. I think I'd leave for this one if I lived over there. But not where we are in West Palm I think it should slow down over land.
This is sooooo stressful :ahh:

Tytus Gerrish
09-09-2004, 03:03 PM
i actualy still dont have power. my pole is in a few pieces. im runnung off a generator. its so hot and mygy at night that i cant sleep. i pass the time by killing bugs. there is no hot water. Only cold showers. i havent had a fried egg in a week. or anything else that you have to cook for that matter. the next huricane will probaly tear my roof off this time arround. it was weakened by francis. my door is swolen shut because it soaked up so much water. and the dunkin doughnuts sign that i tell people to find my street with was destroyed. i havent heard form 4 of my friends yet. So Its Safe to say. Im not looking forward to another.

RogerR
09-09-2004, 03:59 PM
i actualy still dont have power...its so hot and mygy at night that i cant sleep. i pass the time by killing bugs. there is no hot water. Only cold showers...
you and me both bro...i i wouldn't be suprised if my apartment complex is the only place without electricity in tampa; they say it might not be back on till sunday night/monday morning. luckilly, i'm close to campus, which never lost power.

JudyVandy
09-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with y'all down there. Stay safe and don't do stupid stuff--like try to get 'the greatest pics.'

For your sake in Florida, I hope Ivan hangs to the west--there's no hope of his going far enough to the east to avoid damage to some of our southern friends! You'll just be luckey if he doesn't just run right up through the middle of Florida! I'd hate to think of what that would do to you... :eek:

Joshua May
09-09-2004, 05:01 PM
alright that's it.....im done with these &*$( hurricanes....im moving to some other state....

I officially invite all floridians to move to California, no hurricanes at all, and here in Palmdale there's no rain either, just the occasional dust-storm. :ahh:

EDIT: Wow, I think they just said Ivan was a 5, I didn't know that... ooh. And it could intesify even more when it gets to Cuba! This one will be BAD.

Arefin Bari
09-09-2004, 05:52 PM
grr... Ivan is on its way... its cat. 5 (last time i checked) pretty sure it will go down while its making cuba a disaster... this is so not cool... 3 hurricanes in one month!!! :mad:

Blacknight
09-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Stay safe and don't do stupid stuff--like try to get 'the greatest pics.'
I think that was directed toward me.... :rolleyes:
I play it safe, my house is geared for 150-160 winds before the roof decides to rip itself off, and I don't go outside unless I hear no winds for 10 min. I don't want to be outside and suddenly the winds pick up again...
but this one is one i don't want to come... unless it dies down to a four or a three, then plz turn away.... :(

EricS-Team180
09-09-2004, 09:03 PM
I officially invite all floridians to move to California, no hurricanes at all, and here in Palmdale there's no rain either, just the occasional dust-storm.

...seems to me there is a bit of a fault line running close by, too :eek:

Eric

Joshua May
09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
...seems to me there is a bit of a fault line running close by, too :eek:

yeah, I drive across the San Andreas Fault every day, you can actually see lines where the earth has moved. And down south a bit there's a really cool land formation of rocks that crop out of the ground at about a 45 degree angle, and by rocks I mean giant cliffs. :) But we haven't had a big one since I moved here (4 years), but that might not be good that it isn't over with. :ahh:

But we are about a half hour drive from Edwards AFB, it's really cool when the space shuttle lands sometimes.

But I think I'd take my chances with a small earthquake than Ivan, he looks bad, any other hurricane, though, and I'd say bring it on, but not this case.

Anyways, good luck to you all.

sanddrag
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
...seems to me there is a bit of a fault line running close by, too :eek: See what's great about earthquakes in California as opposed to hurricanes in Florida is that hurricanes destroy everything whereas earthquakes don't (not after the 1994 Northridge quake). See, nowadays the building codes in LA are at such high standard that any time an earthquake comes, I look forward to it because everything shakes like a thrill ride, but nothing falls down or breaks. :) Plus I'd rather have a dry shake than a wet blow, from a hurricane that is.

Al Skierkiewicz
09-10-2004, 12:09 PM
grr... Ivan is on its way... its cat. 5 (last time i checked) pretty sure it will go down while its making cuba a disaster... this is so not cool... 3 hurricanes in one month!!! :mad:
Arefin,
We are thinking of you guys up here. Make sure all the Sigmacats keep the hatches battened down.
Good luck to all the Florida teams in getting through this season.

Levin571
09-10-2004, 12:20 PM
One of my friends in Florida just got back in school yesterday and already they've been warned that they are likely getting most of next week off for recovery

Here is a good headline: Floridians Become Test Subjects Of Natural Selection

Swampdude
09-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Here's 2 good forcast model pages:

http://www.stormtrack.org/ivan.gif

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_09.gif

I'm not sure why the NHC is forcasting so far to the west, all the models send it across the middle of the state again. :mad:

JoeXIII'007
09-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Darn! Another hurricane on your back. DON'T, I repeat, DON'T stay down there. Ivan will probably stick to its name and be terrible. So, take my word and get out of there. God Bless and take care!

robot180
09-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Even though it sounds so bad, it would be worse trying to evacuate, sitting in a car, running out of gas, in traffic, for two days, no hotels, then the storm gets there and you haven't even gotten to Orlando yet. That might be a little exaggerated, but I go to the safest possible building to get into and stay there.

During Frances, my dog had to go out and wouldn't use a pile of newspapers. We opened the shutters over the front door just barely enough for her to slip out. We only did this since the wind was blowing away from the door. She ran out, did her thing, and got back ASAP. While she was out, I got to witness about 90 mile per hour wind. I watched the palm tree next to the front door slowly lean more and more. The next day, the tree was at a 30 degree angle.

Arefin Bari
09-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Even though it sounds so bad, it would be worse trying to evacuate, sitting in a car, running out of gas, in traffic, for two days, no hotels, then the storm gets there and you haven't even gotten to Orlando yet. That might be a little exaggerated, but I go to the safest possible building to get into and stay there.

I dont care what happens... but i am not going anywhere... in another word i am not evacuating... the roof is new... the house is new... and all the shutters up really good... so i am not really worrying about the house... now the car is out in the driveway... agghh...

sanddrag
09-10-2004, 10:32 PM
To me, it seems like the absolute safest place (without leaving the state entirely) would be in a parked car in the middle of a field/ large parking lot. But there's only so long you could stay in there. Schools, especially old ones, are generally the safest buildings, but they are also very secure, meaning you need keys or someone with keys to get in.

Joshua May
09-10-2004, 10:49 PM
To me, it seems like the absolute safest place (without leaving the state entirely) would be in a parked car in the middle of a field/ large parking lot. But there's only so long you could stay in there. Schools, especially old ones, are generally the safest buildings, but they are also very secure, meaning you need keys or someone with keys to get in.

I wouldn't be too sure of that, I've seen big vans get pushed around with Cat. 3's, I'd be far too worried about the car drifting or even getting thrown. If there's one bit of advice I can give, its never underestimate the power of a hurricane.

Greg Perkins
09-10-2004, 11:39 PM
I dont care what happens... but i am not going anywhere... in another word i am not evacuating... the roof is new... the house is new... and all the shutters up really good... so i am not really worrying about the house... now the car is out in the driveway... agghh...

sink a couple of 1" eye bolts in the driveway and tie the car down... concrete them in so they dont yank out

Franchesca
09-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Ivan is sure to be a handful!

Power will definitely go out, flooding will absolutely occur, house damages and building damages will definitely occur, etc. Its not going to be a good thing ... and I know that hundreds and hundreds of Floridians have already evacuating or are doing so this weekend. Personally, I'd like to go to New Jersey where my dad is but eh ... I don't always get what I want.

There is still sometime left -- I think its coming Monday or Tuesday which means that those Floridians who are staying should take these weekend to prepare the most they can!!

And about the evacuation matter -- two words -- NO GAS!! There's barely any gasoline anywhere around here .... there is not enough gas to evacuate by car in Florida.

Geez ... we are in a horrible situation :ahh: !!

Stephen Kowski
09-11-2004, 05:38 AM
there is not enough gas to evacuate by car in Florida.

There is plenty as long as you filled up on thursday :p Sounds like a road trip is a good idea to me.

Gabe Salas Jr.
09-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Hooray for Hurricanes... :(

In Brevard county many people are still trying to recover from Francis. A lot of property damage on the coastline. Anything west of A1A did alright. Just massive power outages, which means that all lights down are treated as a four way stop sign. A few people just kept on going, and in short gives more chances for car accidents.

I lost power for two days, but I had a generator so it was not too bad. And the only property damaged I had received was a loss of one shingle. I guess I was lucky.

Good luck to all near Tampa and the pan-handle.

Blacknight
09-11-2004, 09:07 AM
um I'm not completely sure but I think Jeb signed something to say we don't have to make up the days of school we missed. (hopefully)

Adam Y.
09-11-2004, 10:25 AM
See what's great about earthquakes in California as opposed to hurricanes in Florida is that hurricanes destroy everything whereas earthquakes don't (not after the 1994 Northridge quake). See, nowadays the building codes in LA are at such high standard that any time an earthquake comes, I look forward to it because everything shakes like a thrill ride, but nothing falls down or breaks. Plus I'd rather have a dry shake than a wet blow, from a hurricane that is.
What about tidal waves??

Billfred
09-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Tidal waves are all washed up. (rimshot)

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Personally, I'd take an earthquake over a tidal wave. In an earthquake, I can get in a door jamb or under a good desk and ride it out. In a tidal wave, my problem becomes water. And too much water too fast (especially in downtown Columbia, which tends to flood just a smidge when it rains hard) creates, IMHO, a much more dangerous thing.

Madison
09-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Tidal waves are the waves that wash up against the beach all day and night. Earthquakes cause tsunamis.

Spammy Badame
09-12-2004, 03:49 PM
The last time 3 hurricanes hit florida the same year was in 1964. According to one of the newspapers (either stuart news or palm beach post, don't remember which one i cut it out of it), "...Researchers say the current trend of heightened hurricane activity could last for another 10 to 30 years." That means that Florida is in big trouble! I'm just hoping that all that construction they've made me sit through for the last year in a half really pays off!!

Oh yeah, does it feel like midnight to anyone else?!?!? My dad said we're leaving all the shutters up incase that sucker comes this way, and I don't blame him....

Levin571
09-14-2004, 06:53 AM
And thus one warm summer night the state of Florida was suddenly swallowed into the ocean like Atlantis and tales soon formed about lost cities like Orlando and Palm Beach.

:Dcouldn't resist:D

Redhead Jokes
09-14-2004, 11:56 AM
What I've been hearing about my online friend in FL...

"She is working miracles again and her and one other volunteer were flying 166 critters to Atlanta, GA Sunday A.M. She organized a caravan of volunteers to shuttle the critters to the airport, captured a pilot and plane and they were off! She was going to play it by ear on whether or not to fly back to Florida that night or hang out in Atlanta til Ivan blew itself out."

"Clearing out the Sarasota shelter in order for them to assist the critters in the harder hit areas by finding places out of state AND putting together a foster program in 4 (YES, FOUR)days"

abeD
09-14-2004, 12:41 PM
so should we even start a thread for TS jeanne...the madness of hurricane season 2004 continues....

Blacknight
09-14-2004, 02:33 PM
i thought it was Jene... someone told me it was Jenia... oh well might as well call it Another....

Joshua May
09-14-2004, 08:22 PM
i thought it was Jene... someone told me it was Jenia... oh well might as well call it Another....

It's Jeanne, but Another or The Next One should work. :)

however it looks like it will turn around before getting near Florida, but knowing this past season, I wouldn't count on it. :ahh:

ahecht
09-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Jeanne (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=5)

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/adc_hurr_images/2004/aj/UHAJ_1.GIF (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=5)http://sirocco.accuweather.com/adc_hurr_images/2004/aj/UHAJ_2.GIF (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=5)

Not yet a hurricane, but could be by this weekend.

Adam Y.
09-15-2004, 06:45 AM
I officially invite all floridians to move to California, no hurricanes at all, and here in Palmdale there's no rain either, just the occasional dust-storm.
Hmmm.... I can move to the Northeast which faces the threat of earthquakes and possibly a giant tidalwave. I can move the central part of the United States which sits underneath an active volcanoe and deal with the threat of tornadoes. I can move to the west which faces fires, earthquakes, and a drought.