PDA

View Full Version : FIRST Robotics Magazine

Gene F
03-13-2002, 01:20 PM
To all readers, In one of my sleepless nights at Kennedy I had an Idea. What FIRST robotics needs/lacks is a good magazine. There are magazines for just
about every other thing I can think of but not this. How many people out there would be interested in being involved in creating and managing a web based
magazine connected to metalinmotion.com? This would be a great way to involve our virtual members. We would need writers, editors, web puplishers, etc. Articles
would be accepted from anyone on any team. I look forward to reading about what other teams are experiencing in a more detailed form than what appears in
the forums. What do you think?

Gene Falendysz - Engineer from 343 Metal in Motion

Andrew Dahl
03-13-2002, 01:36 PM
I would pay 25$ a year for this thing

that is a great Idea-

dahl

team 497
2002 GM Industrial Design Award winner VCU Regional

Wetzel
03-13-2002, 03:42 PM
I like the idea of a FIRST robotics webzine. However, I would rather not see it associtated with one team predominatly. A few people who have spare time/don't sleep/want to avoid homework could, in my opinion, manage a monthly, depending on amount of sumissions and time of year, weekly zine. I'll admit to not know much about what goes into it, but I image that it will show up here.
I for one would be interested in helping edit/manage/what have you a FIRST webzine. I would like it to be a 'FIRST Robotics" not a 'FIRST Robotics by MiM".
My lack of cents, for what it's worth.

Throws name into hat.

Katie Reynolds
03-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Wetzel
I like the idea of a FIRST robotics webzine. However, I would rather not see it associtated with one team predominatly. A few people who have spare time/don't sleep/want to avoid homework could, in my opinion, manage a monthly, depending on amount of sumissions and time of year, weekly zine. I'll admit to not know much about what goes into it, but I image that it will show up here.
I for one would be interested in helping edit/manage/what have you a FIRST webzine. I would like it to be a 'FIRST Robotics" not a 'FIRST Robotics by MiM".
My lack of cents, for what it's worth.

Throws name into hat.

Yea, I agree with Wetzel - would be cool to have just a FIRST webzine ... not necessarily just associated with one team.

If anyone wants to start this and needs help, I'll be more than willing to help/contriubte stuff, if it's monthlyor bi-monthly. Weekly would be a little hard to do, but hey, ya never know! If we can all build a robot in 6 weeks... we should be able to manage a webzine, right? ;) Let me know if you need help!!

- Katie

Joe Matt
03-13-2002, 04:59 PM
I would be interested in it. I agree with Wetzle, it should be a "FIRST Robotics Webzine" NOT a "FIRST Robotics Webzine by MiM and the Proud Sponsors of MiM __________". Many teams should do this and mabey we could even make a web page or use part of Chief Delphi for it. We could have submission parts for "Letters for the Engineer", "Letters to the Editor" and other things. We could also do three or four columns like "Gear Ratios: Reinventing The Wheel" and "How to make the best handout!":D

GregT
03-13-2002, 05:16 PM
I would be willing to help with the backend, great idea.

Greg

Lora Knepper
03-13-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Gene F
<SNIP>This would be a great way to involve our virtual members. </SNIP>

Hey Gene... as a VM with the team, I'd be more than willing to help out! Maybe put some journalism classes to good use :D Though I'm willing to do anything from editing, to helping publish ect.

~ lora

srawls
03-13-2002, 06:19 PM
I would be very interested in this. I'd even submit articles about programming/electronics. Great idea!

Stephen

Ken Leung
03-13-2002, 08:26 PM
A lot of people have been thinking about doing a FIRST magazine for a long time, including me. Off the top of my head I remember Robby O. and Colleen of 190 really interested in it (I think...).

It would be very cool if we can actually make it happen. There are tons of ideas we can put on the magazine... FIRST place is one of them, visiting Team's headquarter is another, then there is reports from kickoff, regionals, Nationals, and off season competitions... Then there are tons of stories we can gather about teams' effort in spreading the idea of FIRST, or workshops teams put together to help train other teams...

It would be great if we can put some scouting reports on some of the best robots of the year, and technical section with white papers and robots design.

Things like that.

There are so many things we can cover in the magazine, and so many people across the country willing to contribute to it. IT's just something waiting to happen. I would most certainly be interested in becoming a reporter, and maybe if I work hard enough, I might become an editor. ;)

But Robby used to tell me, "It's easy to come up with a good idea, but it's really hard to actually make that idea happen." I wonder when is the day when the magazine finally get published...

DaBruteForceGuy
03-13-2002, 08:47 PM
This is exactly what we need. i can't be scouring thorough hundreds of threads all the time trying to learn about other team s and ideas. i woulod love to submit articals of new theorums and aspects in the vast range of areas in the study of brute force on presicion machinery:rolleyes:

i would also help in the "more inportant" aspects of the magazine

Wetzel
03-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Ken Leung

But Robby used to tell me, "It's easy to come up with a good idea, but it's really hard to actually make that idea happen." I wonder when is the day when the magazine finally get published...

Forgive me for I know not what I do...
::deep breath::
I'm willing to attempt to coordinate things and get things rolling.
/me braces for an onslaught of work

Gene, what did you have in mind?
My email is weffreyATcoxDOTrrDOTcom. No bots grabbing my email.

Joe Matt
03-13-2002, 09:24 PM
If we are going to do this, we should tell everybody to e-mail somebody to get started on it. Mabey we could have it up by Nats? Give out some printed versions of it signed by us as souveners.

Here are some things to consider:
-HTML or AOL Text- Should we do the trusty dusty text only version, an HTML version, or forget it all and do a PDF file or something like that.
-What will the columnnests be- Who will do a weekly version/monthly, who will contribute whever they can, who can do it once in a while?
-What will the columns be- Letters to the Editor, Technology News, FIRST News & Rumors, Tech Help, General News,and other things.
-Who will put it all together?

This is a great idea and could get us some special recognition by FIRST, not to say I'm doing it just for that.

My e-mail is JWM1314@aol.com if you want to e-mail me for my input and other things.

Katie Reynolds
03-13-2002, 09:39 PM
I'm willing to attempt to coordinate things and get things rolling.

-What will the columnnests be- Who will do a weekly version/monthly, who will contribute whever they can, who can do it once in a while?

Ok ok ... I'm willing to sacrifice my sleep for this :)

Wetzel: if you are going to coordinate things and need any help, lemme know. I've been the editor for a webzine before and know how to get things going... yea, lemme know....

Team384:JosephM: I'm willing to write a column weekly or monthly... again, just lemme know.

One more thing: Do we want just general scouting reports, or reports from individual teams on what/how they are doing? That'd be kind of cool... as long as a team isn't submitting a novel every week/month!! Email me (look under my profile for email... stupid robots:() or IM me... AIM name is BrynaShaw

- Katie

Andrew Wyatt
03-13-2002, 09:45 PM
I think it's an idea that has merit.

It wouldn't be worth doing if it was in print, though, but an internet-type webzine would be pretty %%%% nifty.

Joe Matt
03-13-2002, 09:53 PM
I am too busy to be the person who manages all the columnists. Sorry, but I CAN contribute and I do have lots of ideas. Just AIM me or e-mail me at JWM1314@aol.com (AIM without the @aol.com)!

Katie Reynolds
03-13-2002, 10:04 PM
So what are we talking... Weekly? Monthly? Bi-monthly? Differing during the season and off season? Let's make this work :)

- Katie

Mimi Brown
03-13-2002, 10:22 PM
This sounds awesome! I will help out in any way possible!

~Mimi

Mike o.
03-13-2002, 10:30 PM
I think its a great idea to have a webZine dedicated for FIRST. i think that it is about time that FIRST is rconized more widely. i would be proud to help in getting this created and started. i am very skilled in many things and i think that i could contribute alot. although it will be a little rough trying to juggle school, web page for my current team, programming, and then this webZine. but i still think that it is a grea oppurtunity and and great idea. i also know of some other people that would probally be interested and could help me. if any help is needed im here. just send me a message or u can email me at:
tennisdude7@hotmail.com
tennimike7@yahoo.com
or you can im me at AIM:
my sn is tennismike7
or you can im me at MSN:
my email is tennisdude7@hotmail.com
or just post a comment on the guest book at my team's web site:
the web site is http://jrtrobotics.homeip.net:33

thanks alot,
Mike O'Brien
Team 384

Ken Leung
03-14-2002, 06:49 AM
Well, all these seems like a good idea, and a lot of people are interested. You know I am all up for writing about FIRST and talking about robots.

So, here is what I think we got to do:

Get an overall idea of how we want the magazine/webzine looks like.

Figure out what kind of topics we want to talk about.

Split the work and see who is interested in doing which part.

Decide a deadline, and have each part finish their job.

Finally, put all the parts together, and check through the materials. See if this is what we want as the final magazine/webzine.

Then we will show it to everyone!

Right now, I think we got to finish the first one, to see how much work it take, and what we wish to accomplish. Don't think anything big right now. Just do one, see how people like it, and we will base future releases on feedback and comments from people.

If you guys are seriously about this, then let's get organized and make it work. Don't get too eager to make this as big as possible, and do it one step at a time.

If all we are going to do is individual writing a piece of this and that, and ended up no real effort to get it going as a group, then nothing will happen.

What do you think?

Katie Reynolds
03-14-2002, 08:35 AM
Ken,

I fully agree. We need to have people dedicated to writing columns about certain things. ::raises hand:: I'll write!! If you give me a topic, and I'll get you an article. The first issue will probably take the most work... so we shouldn't set the deadline too soon. I'd say a good deadline would be 3 weeks before Nationals is a good deadline to set. But that's just my opinion :) What does everyone else think? Again, I'm going to pose the question: Do we want individual reports from teams on how/what they are doing? I think this would be a good way for teams to get their name/ what they are doing out that. lemme know!!

- Katie

Gene F
03-14-2002, 08:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like we need to take the next step. I am willing to help get this thing kick started. I have been thinking about what the columns might be, but in order to let everyone have a say let's start an email brain storm. Please email your suggestions to me at falendys@oconee.sema.slb.com or post them here. I will begin looking into the logistical issues of getting space on the web, what legal issues are involved, what tools are available, etc. Keep the excitement I love it!

Gene

Joe Matt
03-14-2002, 09:38 AM
We should definatly post things up here about the columns you want to see here and other things.

Here are some ideas for columns....

Letters to the Editor
Technology Today- What's new in technology in general. I'd like to do this one.
What's Your Sponsor Doing?- A look at some of FIRST's Sponsors and teams sponsors.
How Does It Work?- A detaled look at how something works that is used in FIRST.
Your Robot- A look at peoples robots
Q&A- A questions and answers section
Other Speciatly Columns- Columns on things to do around competitons, kick-offs, plays, and other things.

Mike, could we make a Website for FIRST Webzine? Have a small section for ideas, letters to the editor, and other things.

Joseph Matt
JWM1314@aol.com

Mike o.
03-14-2002, 09:42 AM
This is great to hear soo many ideas about a FIRST webZine and i think that we can do it. like one of my coaches say "KIS" keep it simple. we make it more complex as we go along. i have some great ideas some may work some may not. i also can get us some web space that has no limit of storage. well here it goes some of my ideas:
1. i think that people are right on how we think that we should not have a certain deadline but it should be good time before nationals
2. i also think that when we are at nationals that we should do daily updates on what happens the days that it happens. the only problem that i would see is that i dont know how many people or any people at all will have an iternet connection
3. i think that it would be great if each time gives a report about their team, just a short little summary
4. i think that we should have editorials and something like a question and answer part
5. i think that we should also include, im sure if ive already said this, but the voice of the people, what other people's opinion is

thats some of the ideas for now. hope to hear from yall and hope that this will work out, i know it can. i also think that we should start thinking about next season if we decide to do this next year. it think that it would be great to have this from the start. well here are my two cents. well thats all for now. later .

Mike O'Brien
Team 384
AIM- tennismike7
email- tennisdude7@hotmail.com
web page- http://jrtrobotics.homeip.net:33

Joe Matt
03-14-2002, 09:58 AM
We should start with the columns, and who's doing wich ones. I'd like to do a today's technology news section, and possibly something on stuff to do at WDW and VCU.

Joseph Matt
JWM1314@aol.com

Ken Leung
03-14-2002, 10:51 AM
This is exactly what I was talking about. We have tons and tons of ideas, but we can't possibly fit all of them on the magazine/webzine.

I think before we get more ideas, we should decide what we want this webzine/magazine to do.

Are we just reporting what's happening at competition? To recognize teams? Show people the really cool robots out there?

Or are we using this webzine to say things to people? To teach others things we learn from this competition? To show off how much we know about this competition?

If we are showing people about different teams, how do we fit all 600 teams together? If we are doing discussions we have about this competition, do we quote other people or do we just express our own opinion?

So... How is it going to be?

Joe Matt
03-14-2002, 11:11 AM
It should be a magazine about FIRST and Technology.
It should feature letters, Q&A, How To columns, PR for teams, and other things.
Keep the first issue down to size. A few letters and 5 or 6 columns. We should also create a general layout and graphic design for the webzine.

We also need an offical name!
We should also put our position under our posts in our signature along with a link the webzine site.

Joseph Matt
JWM1314@aol.com

Andrew Wyatt
03-14-2002, 11:41 AM
Actually, I think the first order of business is to pick an editor/head honcho. while democracy is a wonderful thing, it doesn't get anything done very fast.

perhaps ken could fill that role? He seems like he's head honcho material.

Gene F
03-14-2002, 12:00 PM
Since I started this Idea I'd be willing to take on the role of Editor and Chief. I was hoping that Ken would handle a commentary column or something like that. The name that came to me on that night of inspiration was "FIRST Place", what do you think? As a beginning I'd like to hear what articles people are willing to write within the next week. As far as choosing columns right now I think we should see what contributions we get and as time progresses develop them into recuring columns.

Gene

Ken Leung
03-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Since I started this Idea I'd be willing to take on the role of Editor and Chief. I was hoping that Ken would handle a commentary column or something like that. The name that came to me on that night of inspiration was "FIRST Place", what do you think? As a beginning I'd like to hear what articles people are willing to write within the next week. As far as choosing columns right now I think we should see what contributions we get and as time progresses develop them into recuring columns.

Gene

Go right ahead if you want to do it. ;) I didn't want to sound so controlling and annoying with my comments... Just that I know this is a good thing to do in FIRST, and I want to make sure we organize this, think through the details, and make it great.

It would be really bad if it come out half done and not really good. It would be even worse if we happens to mess this up and make people lose interest in doing this.

And, I kinda like a small group effort in making this happen, because it will mean a lot less work load on just one person, and it will make sure we do this with different angle of view points... With more people, we can show people how we think of FIRST, coming from different people's eyes.

Anyway, I will keep posting ideas, and help do part of the magazine/webzine.

Lora Knepper
03-14-2002, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a plan.... however....

I'm wary about reports from each team because, lets face it - we have waaaaay too many teams in FIRST now. We're not talking about just covering one regional, one area of things ect. Unless you want to do something like a Featured Team.

I'm the editor of a truck enthusiast website, and we have a Dakota of the Week that people can submit for, and they are placed in a queue for inclusion. If you want to spotlight a team, I'd suggest somthing like that. Just an idea.

Anywho, I'm up for working on whatever I'm needed for. :cool:

Jessica Boucher
03-14-2002, 02:12 PM
Um, people....love the idea, but....

Before this gets too far ahead, I think we need to notify Robby that this is being talked about again. He's worked more on this topic than you would believe, and I think he needs to put in his 2 cents before we decide anything major.

ColleenShaver
03-14-2002, 04:51 PM
As Ken mentioned earlier- this is something Robby and I have talked about in great depth and detail; Robby even has a copy of the potential cover to the first issue that we had on hand at Nationals last year to show to some of the FIRST staff. We talked to some of the major players (engineer-wise) in FIRST about contributing columns, etc. We have some basic drawing of the layout for a webzine portion, etc, etc

We have a lot of foot work done on this, I personally have just gotten a bit caught up in school work & robots & stuff lately.. given this great interest, it seems like it's time to wake this idea back up again.

We basically wanted this to be done with the support of FIRST and more under their jurisdiction than any one team. We didn't want to step on the toes of what any great teams like Chief Delphi have done for FIRST with this website. Afterall, there are white papers here that if you guys can formalize your ideas can be posted up here.

Personally, after all this talk, I'm going to go back to my notes and see where we left off, along with talking to Robby on the topic.

Ken Leung
03-14-2002, 06:51 PM
I knew you two got a lot of thinking done a while ago... I remember Robby telling me about it at kickoff. We were even going to do a report on kickoff itself, but I ended up couldn't do it at the time because I wasn't prepared enough for the necessary material and got caught up with the rest of FIRST stuff after I got back home.

I know the magazine involve doing reports of competition, and doing someone on Dean, but I really can't remember anymore. From what I heard from robby, sounds like you are on the right track, and just need to make things happen.

I am really eager to find out what you two have planned, but I understand it if you want to work this out between yourself before announcing anything. Why don't you e-mail me @ ken_leung@hotmail.com and tell me what I can do for you. Frankly, I think you need a west coast reporter ;) to show you guys what's going on over here...

And I would love to do a report on Nationals this year, now that I have all these time to plan it out before hand. I've got a long list of people I want to talk to, so might as well do little interviews with them while I ask them about their robot.

Like I said before, I really thought this magazine/webzine idea need a lot of thinking through if it is to be really good... Seems like you twos' hard work into this maybe our first step to making it happen!

Thanks everyone for being so exciting about this and won't give up!

Gene F
03-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Coleen, Robby, and others,
If you two had some ideas I'd like to help put them into action. Please forward any information on your previous planning to falendys@oconee.sema.slb.com. I'm worried that trying to get FIRST to get behind this without demonstrating that we can make it happen will be difficult. Let's try to get something started and then see if FIRST wants to adopt us. :)

Gene

Joe Matt
03-14-2002, 07:29 PM
1.) Concept...

Lalalalalalalalalalal

2.) Feasiblity

Coin Toss

3.) Reality

Holy C$@P! This is going to cost a lot!

4.) De-Scoping

Chainsaw: VVVVRRUUUMMM, ZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRR, BBBBBBUUUUUUUZZZZZ

5.) Construction:

It's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be....

6.) Opeining Day

Hip-Hip-Ho-RA!

7.) The Homecoming

HEY I'M BACK! Helo? Anybody remember me??

8.) Concept

Lalalalalalalalalalal.......

We just hit the reality *whap* ow that hurt!

Mark Hamilton
03-14-2002, 08:54 PM
I personally would be willing to write articles and do graphic design etc. on a regular basis for this. Furthermore, Im certain our SOAP scouting/strategey database (2x johnson+johnson Sportsman Award winning) would be useful, especially in a featured robot/strategy segment.

Adrian Wong
03-14-2002, 09:06 PM
HTML or AOL Text- Should we do the trusty dusty text only version, an HTML version, or forget it all and do a PDF file or something like that.

Just to offer another option: XML. With XML, you can use XSLT to transform the XML into HTML (web sites), PDF (print), and text. You can convert to other formats as well (e.g. voice), but I don't think there'd be a large audience for listening to a magazine article. ;)

NickG.
03-14-2002, 09:39 PM
Id love to help out on this thing. I would be willing to write a few articles, or maybe a column for it. Let me know what you need. I was thinking more along hte lines of How To articles and whatnot. Off the top of my head i get things like: "How to fundraise", "How to put your robot on a diet (lightening it up :) )", "How to better your pit", etc. But whatever column you need me to do is fine. I personalyl dont like the whole spotlight on team thing. I think this zine should help others, have nifty interviews (ie, w/ dean, woodie, special engineers, etc), competition coverage, and tech/FIRST news bits. email me at Saber930@yahoo.com.

-Nick Gauthier
Strategery Liason First Matey (SLFM - pronounced SLaFuM)
Team 365
The Miracle Workerz

Robby O
03-15-2002, 01:55 AM
::Yawn::Stretch::Scratch::

I know I should probably jump right onto topic, but I just wanna let everyone know that things are okay with me, as I've done everything but drop off the face of the earth recently. FIRST took me away from the arts for 4 years of my life, and I've had a sudden and powerful reintroduction, with all kinds of performance opportunities and doors opened for me. It's what I've always wanted to do with my life and now it's happening, so I've done everything in the past couple of months to deeply immerse myself back into that community. That includes dropping art school, quitting work, and, unfortunately, ignoring FIRST.

But this topic (and Colleen ::thankyou::) snapped my attention back to a community I owe more than I can ever return. So now that you know where my weird head has been the past few months, lemme start with the concept of FIRSTmagazine as it originally began.

I love silly responses to questions, and have been known to be a quite the goofball at times, with all sorts of ideas running amok. However, about a year and a half ago, a newbie to the world of FIRST asked a simple question on the forums and I smarmily replied “Oh, I take it you didn’t read about that in the latest issue of FIRSTmagazine”. Hence that quest began.

It’s been an idea bouncing around in my skull and between others I hold close in the FIRST community. Last year we even gave a mockup of the first cover to Laura London. The biggest problem we had with the magazine has always been “So, okay, what’s it going to contain?”. I see that running across this thread now. And that’s a hard thing to decide. There’s so much involved with FIRST, what do we include? Merely tutorials, or articles, news on technology?

The conclusion that we finally came to was based on a quote from the founder himself:

“Scientists as Superheroes”

That’s the direction, in my (and a few others’) opinion, that FIRSTmagazine should take. Each issue has a featured scientist. There will be an in-depth interview/biography of that scientist, then there will be a pullout poster of that scientist, with a portrait of the scientist on one side, and an artists rendering of the scientist in superhero style a-la popular comic books. Then of course you have the latest news on science happenings. Reports of FIRST and science/technology events.

There will be a section for mechanical, electrical, and software tutorials. Reports on and interviews with kids who have made an impact in their community with FIRST. Papers on how to start projects and follow through with them. Listings of grants and funding for these projects. Internship and scholarship opportunity listings. Contests with science/technology-related prizes. And games and comics around the FIRST community.

It’s a blending of the Arts and Sciences, two true cultural cultivators, to make each other really appeal to a younger generation. FIRSTmagazine is the Newsstand supplement to FIRST – it’s about the inspiring of and helping to launch the careers of young adults. Something to make them all forget TV and just hanging out with friends, but start encouraging them to have an impact on society, even if it’s as small as only their town – that’s still an impact and more than most young people do ever.

There’s so much more detail I can’t even describe right now. And I can only thank everyone who pointed out that I’ve actually put work into this with others before everyone ran off doing their own thing, as has happened in the past. This has been kept on the downlow for that very reason – too much division of the FIRST community due to a lot of “Look at my team, we want an award for this”.

But enough of my nagging. I have a list of people I will be contacting already to get this done, and if anyone is interested, please, let me know. We most definitely do need web developers and maintainers, specifically I’ve been looking at PHP, but I am only one person and perhaps something would suit better. I really wish that I had brought it to the community sooner. If I had known there would have been this much interest and offered commitment, I could have accomplished so much more up to now with everyone’s help.

Also, enjoy the sneak peeks at the original cover design, and check out the clip of some dean artwork I’m coloring for the first issue.

-Robby O
oshortwan@hotmail.com
FIRSTanimators Moderator
“If I had it in me to stop these random thoughts and non-stop dreams, I could deal with this non-stop spinning world” – Less Than Jake

Robby O
03-15-2002, 01:57 AM
Icky design, but it was the first of many to come...

Robby O
03-15-2002, 01:58 AM
This is just one of the pieces of artwork that I have lined up.

Gene F
03-15-2002, 08:55 AM
Robby O,
Thanks for your renewed interest. I love both the cover and the artwork. Lets launch this thing! In order to get started we need people to get started submitting articles. I really don't care what site this thing is associated with. In fact maybe we could distribute it among several sites. Certainly there can be links all over the place. I'm not the greatest of writers but I do have a knack for getting things organized. (professionally I am an engineering project leader) We can all argue the nuances of what it should look like, what it should contain, what format we should use, etc. but until we have some substance it's all for naught. Let's put together a concept issue, share it among ourselves and refine from there. I am willing to collect the articles and such and produce a first cut at a layout for discussion. I've seen too many great concepts die because of "analysis paralisis". Let's pull out those notebooks and light up those keyboards.

Gene

Wayne C.
03-15-2002, 11:31 AM
Here is an idea which might aid you in build your webzine

Take all of the team numbers of this year's active teams and mix them in a hat. You might want to make a second hat for the winners of the various events and awards this year.

Each month draw out several candidates and contact them to submit articles on their FIRST season. They will need to give in illustrations and such to enhance their story. You most likely won't get all of them to write but some will.

You can ask for several each month and choose the ones you want. Categories such as award winners, senior teams, rookie teams etc can be made.

Everybody likes to see their names in stories. There are many more teams out there than the dozen or so FIRST seems to showcase. The big mystery would be "who will be in the magazine this month?"

Let the teams tell their story- and do the work

If we can assist at 25 let us know...

(By the way- the keyboard I am writing on has a dead letter __. Can you figure out the missing letter?

Robby O
03-15-2002, 12:02 PM
I've been working on the actual design and layout of the magazine, and at the moment the sketches I have resemble USFIRST.ORG. I think it would be a good idea to keep these two sites very similar in design. We definitely need a database to keep track of articles and allow for easy uploading to the server.

So far we were thinking quarterly print issues, with daily updates to the webzine, as daily as was possible. I also really like Wayne's idea, however one thing we may not want to do is prevent any team or individual of a team from submitting work. I do like the idea of a featured team, and perhaps have them do a postmortem of how things are going or went for them in the competitions, as in what went right, what went wrong, why, and how they would improve on it for next year. That too can be split into different award and team divisions, like chairmans, national champions, mechanical side of a team known for amazing mechanical work, postmortem of the animation from the winning team.

To me, this actually reminds me very much of sharingFIRST. The only difference is that there will be guidlines and formatting to be followed keeping everything looking similar, instead of everyone having thier own page. The web submission I see as a "submit an article, wait for approval". The only question I have is what do the writers have to gain? If this magazine is sold on newsstands, would it be feasible to pay a writer if his or her article is approved? I don't see why not.

Then again, all funds could be pushed towards getting FIRST out there, with a few writers from the FIRST world hired to work on the zine on a consistent basis. Should recognition be enough for those who submit but arent staff writers? Or perhaps there is some other compensation, like a private dinner at nationals for all whose articles were accepted, giving them a chance to mingle with the heads of FIRST, as well as current scientific, technological, and political leaders. Hmm... yet more to debate about.

-Robby O
oshortwan@hotmail.com
FIRSTanimators Moderator

Brandon Martus
03-15-2002, 12:42 PM
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but thinking of news & approvals & all that kinda stuff, I keep thinking of phpNuke.

Its sort of like slashdot and slash code.. basically a portal, with news headlines, etc..

Its fully customizable, and open-source, so you could possibly use it as a base platform, and customize/build up from there..

phpNuke (http://www.phpnuke.org)

GregT
03-15-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but thinking of news & approvals & all that kinda stuff, I keep thinking of phpNuke.

Its sort of like slashdot and slash code.. basically a portal, with news headlines, etc..

Its fully customizable, and open-source, so you could possibly use it as a base platform, and customize/build up from there..

phpNuke (http://www.phpnuke.org)

Why not build our own? PHP-NUKE is great, if you want a form site... have you guys figured out where your gonna get hosting with a database (and php i assume)?

Wayne C.
03-15-2002, 11:45 PM
From reading the posts above it seems like you have a bunch of guys across the nation who really want to do this thing. That's truly great.

Perhaps you might consider having each regional writer make a particular "column" and post it as a web page in it's own right. That way they have a certain autonomy and can edit freely. Some sort of central style sheet should probably be developed so the pages have some continuity and submissions are easily processed by your staff. You might plan to sit down and hash this out in Orlando.

The main editor would have a central hub link page which would headline each of the departments and hyperlink out to all those subsidiary pages. Of course each page would archive old articles somewhere in their individual sites so they can be accessed forever.

Hosting fees would be raised by some sort of group fund raiser. Selling ad space on the pages would probably cover it. If you host like we do, we are probably talking less than $100/year per department.

As a long term newsletter editor for a number of hobby groups, let me just warn you all however. At first these ideas are really exciting and everybody wants in. A year down the road when deadlines are getting tougher and tougher to meet the thrill tends to disappear, as do the writers. That is why I made the suggestion above- let a variety of new writers always be adding to the collection.

If you all can get organized and get the ball rolling my guys would be happy to promote the magazine here in the NE and we would certainly lend a hand where needed. We have a related idea already in the works for the coming year- more on that in the near future.

Get typing!!!!

WC

Daishichimaru
03-16-2002, 12:09 AM
Like the idea! Sign me on for the software Q&A corps.

Katie Reynolds
03-16-2002, 12:14 AM
I'm really interested in helping out/writing for this webzine! Lemme know what you need! I'd love to interview/talk with teams or people... My email address is FIRSTae2004@yahoo.com :)

- Katie

Ken Leung
03-16-2002, 06:19 AM
I think it's a pretty cool idea from Colleen and Robby how this magazine is used to show people about scientist and technology, just like what FIRST is doing to us. I really like the idea how it's a compliment to FIRST, and spreading our name at the same time.

Robby said scientist should be treated like super heroes. I think that's a good idea too, since so many people have no ideas who are the scientist/mathematician/engineers responsible for shaping the world like it is today. I know they aren't directly related to FIRST, but think about it, if it weren't for them, then we wouldn't have this competition today with all these technology we are learning. Think about what would happen if no one ever made use of electricity, or discover theories about magnetism.

Mean while, I think we want to get people to want to get this magazine. We can do all the insider stories all we want, but outsiders won't have a clue what we are talking about. If we are telling stories about this team at that competition, or certain ruling made by FIRST, then only FIRST participants are interested in it.

We already got this forum, and the white paper section, chat room, nuts4first and other places we can have insider talks about this competition... So, why not improve and create more different forums and chat rooms to recognize different teams and their effort, and use the magazine to help introduce FIRST to the outside world?

I think that's why we should do this magazine for FIRST instead of for ourselves. If you want to write technical stuff about the robot, submit it to the white paper or nuts4FIRST, if we want to recognize teams effort, we can set up a website to do such things.

With so many people wanting to do different things, I don't think it will hurt to have multiple things going on.

Mean while, the thing we need right now is a couple of person to... take charge, or "take the blame" ;) so to speak. We have good ideas, but we are afraid that it won't work and ended up doing a bad job. Well, I say we get someone to step up and stop that worrying people have. It will be nice if there's someone to tell us what to do, and us writers just do our job.

I am still thinking between having one person, or having a group of few people... The thing about working with a group is that we can get different ideas and view points... people can check each other's work and make it right. The downside is, however, in a small group people tend to be worry that others won't agree with him/her, so they feel the need to get approval of others while they don't feel free enough to just do the thing they want to...

Having just one person is the exact opposite of that....

Ups and downs... What do you think?

Brandon Martus
03-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by GregT

have you guys figured out where your gonna get hosting with a database (and php i assume)?

my suggestion:

venturesonline.com

I know of 4 sites hosted there, and I'm totally pleased with their service, uptime, speed, etc.

Justin 188
03-16-2002, 11:42 AM
I am interested in the layout & graphic design part of it. I've done a few websites, and various different graphic design projects. Dunno if being all the way up in Toronto would get in the way of participating..?

Justin 188
03-16-2002, 11:49 AM
A main "team" is always better - you'll never get a group of people who always agree with each other 100% (heck i bet everybody knows that from their team). Also, the pressure & workload will be divided amongst a few people, rather than put all on one person.

Gene F
03-16-2002, 07:22 PM
The time has come where we need people to make a firm commitment. We need people to step up and state what subject they are going to write about and in what time frame. Something like:

I <your name> commit to write an article about <your topic> for the FIRST magazine by <when you will have it done>.

If you are committing to write a recurring column please state the frequency at which you will submit.

I Gene Falendysz commit to organize a draft copy containing your articles for review within 7 days of receiving enough copy to fill 10 8.5 X 11 pages.

We also need people to make a commitment to participate as editorial staff. (A visionary board to set direction for the magazine and review committee for the submitted articles.) We should aim to limit this group to no more than 7.

As soon as we get at least 4 people committed to the editorial staff I will organize a net meeting of some sort to review the direction of this thing. The first goal of this group will be to develop a mission statement for this magazine.

Gene

junkyarddawg
03-16-2002, 07:40 PM
I think an online magazine focusing on FIRST is an excellent idea.

Tim Gates
Team #288
RoboDawgs

Jon Lawton
03-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by GregT

Why not build our own? PHP-NUKE is great, if you want a form site... have you guys figured out where your gonna get hosting with a database (and php i assume)?

I agree here. It would be really cool to code our own php "content management system" (blah buzzword). Somone I know has written his own: http://www.qzx.com/cms/ (source at http://www.qzx.com/zap/ ). I haven't set this up for myself, though, so I can't really vouch for it.

What kind of traffic are we looking at? More to the point, Brandon, how much bandwidth does chiefdelphi.com utilize? I might be able to provide hosting on a nice server (what www.theapesofwrath.org) is on...

I know php, and PostgreSQL, and am willing to contribute however I can.

srawls
03-16-2002, 09:12 PM
I, Stephen Rawls, commit to write a PBasic article by April 7. Note: I could do it in a shorter time if needed, I just thought I'd give myself extra time since I've got regionals to go to and shchool work to do.

Stephen

Sunny Thaper
03-17-2002, 03:20 AM
Sorry for replying so late in this discussion but I was tied up with the animation side of FIRST, which I think should also get some play into this as well as the Legos thing which I know absolutely nothing of. I have worked professionally with ASP and am quite confident with my ability to create a fully functional and unique E-Zine system in which no one would have to know anything about HTML or other languages. My only problem arises from time, hopefully there is someone else who knows about ASP. ASP is basically like PHP but it is catered for the Windows platform and is in my opinion easier to work with. You can contact me at Sunny@IamTtam.com if you would like to talk further with me.

Wetzel
03-17-2002, 01:18 PM
I, Jeff Wetzel, commit to being on an editorial staff.

Mike o.
03-17-2002, 02:05 PM
I am basicly commited to anything that might need to be done. I am very able to work on editing, writing, researching, and other things, all in all almost all tasked that are to be completed. well i will get to yall later.

Mike O'Brien
Team 384:rolleyes:

Katie Reynolds
03-17-2002, 02:25 PM
I, Katie Reynolds, commit to being on an editorial/review staff.

- Katie

Joe Matt
03-17-2002, 02:33 PM
I, Joseph Matt, will write a general technology review section rangeing in size from one page to three pages. It will cover technology in general and it's first big article will the the Segway. I hope to have this done by next Sunday. I will post it up here.

Gene F
03-17-2002, 09:04 PM
Thank you Stephen Rawls, Jeff Wetzel, Mike O'Brien, Katie Reynolds and Joseph Matt. It's great to see this commitment.

We need more!

If there is something causing you to hold back? Post it or send me an email. I'm not trying to be a dictator, I just want to see this thing happen!

Gene

Brandon Martus
03-17-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Jon Lawton

What kind of traffic are we looking at? More to the point, Brandon, how much bandwidth does chiefdelphi.com utilize? I might be able to provide hosting on a nice server (what www.theapesofwrath.org) is on...

ChiefDelphi.com is allowed 20gigs of bandwidth per month included in our hosting plan. For the month of February 2002, we hit about 24 or 25 gigs, and had to pay a little extra $$.

In the off-season, we usually on hit about 10gigs per month, if I remember correctly.

Nate Smith
03-17-2002, 10:00 PM
I've worked a few sites through olm.net, and was happy with the uptime and other aspects of it. Also, they include the Miva language (http://www.miva.com) with their hosting packages, which is basically HTML with a few extra tags processed server-side(databases, etc.) I've been able to put together some pretty fancy systems with miva code, so it would be an option as well...I'm also somewhat well versed in ColdFusion, and know a little ASP, so in any event, I'd be willing to help with the web site side of things...

Joel J
03-17-2002, 10:23 PM
I can and will step forward to do anything, except writing an actual article.

Michael Murphy
03-18-2002, 12:44 AM
I'll work on the editorial staff.

Donn Griffith
03-18-2002, 09:58 PM
Great idea Gene. It is so good I wish I'd thought of it. Two thumbs up. There is rarely a week that goes by that we don't have FIRST news to report. It would be great to be in touch with the rest of the FIRST world. What's happenin' out there 24/7. Who said it was a six week project? It's more like maybe six weeks a year without a FIRST project, well maybe for some people.

Perseus
03-19-2002, 05:16 PM
i think it would be really cool to see one, but do you really think that there is enough stuff to write about WEEKLY in the "off-season." also, i do not know if people will have the time to cntribute during the building period.

Otherwise, go for it. An idea would be that there could be a different team featured in each new issue

Joe Matt
03-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Weekly will only be durring the compotition. Bi-weekly durring building, monthly one or two moths before and after kick-off and Nats and then a bi-monthly if there's time, if not, a break!

cyanutopia
03-19-2002, 11:11 PM
I would be happy to help develop and design the website for the netzine---I've designed several websites and am quite qualified, contact me for more info :)

Timothy Hsu
Webmaster of http://www.cincorobotics.com

Donn Griffith
03-20-2002, 09:33 PM
I feel strongly that there is FIRST News worthy of coverage every week throughout the year. As with many of the other FIRST Teams, this is definitely not a six week project. The Team 343 timeline covers 365 days a year. To illustrate my point, I will reference our FIRST Robotics calendar year. As with many other teams our FIRST year begins in August with FIRST LEGO League (FLL). Just an FYI, FLL is an international competition. Team 343 team members work with numberous FLL teams in a variety of ways to numerous to mention at this time. Many of the FIRST Robotics Teams around the country are involved with the hundreds of FLL teams during September, October and November. I would consider this as a News multiplier. Many FIRST Robotics teams are intimately involved during November and December with FLL State Tournaments throughout the country. Another significant News multiplier. The fall months bring FIRST Robotics Kick-off Competitions around the country. More News to report. September, October, November and December - FIRST Robotics teams are gearing up for the upcoming "FIRST Competition" in January. I would bet the ways teams prepare are as varied as the robot designs each year. Seems like another News multiplier to me. January through April... no comment needed. I believe we could publish a FIRST Daily Gazette. So then consider the "Dog Days" of summer..right, June, July and August. First, we find FIRST teams around the country hosting invitational events. So what else happens? Does any other team spend the summer months booking presentations? Each summer, for some unknown reason our team is invited to provide FIRST Robotics presentations at workshops and conferences. Members of our team travel to exotic places like Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Nashville. Actually, we do presentations throughout the year to numerous to mention at this time. The point is, we are just one of 650 FIRST Robotics Teams this year. We have 67 members on our team that want to know what is happening with the other 649 FIRST Robotics teams 365 days a year. Inquiring minds just want to know. Is there really enough FIRST News to report throughout the year?

Gene F
03-21-2002, 10:32 AM
I need to get email addresses for all that have agreed to help get this started. Please email me at falendys@oconee.sema.slb.com and I will create a group. I can only sent to individuals through your individual profiles. Also let me know what times ( including time zone ) and dates you would be available for getting together in a chat room. I see there is one associated with this site we should be able to use, I've been monitoring and haven't seen a lot of activity there. I am hoping to get enough response to be able to chat withing the next week. Keep the excitement!

Gene

Gene F
03-25-2002, 09:08 PM
Hey everyone stay tuned! I have been in communication with Robby and Colleen. They have been working on the idea for a magazine for some time. We are in the process of getting together and sharing ideas. We will email you soon to let you know the next step. Keep going with the articles and keep the excitement.

Gene:D

Joe3
03-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Great job to you guys trying to set this up. I think that this would benefit FIRST and be just another way of teams communicating. Good luck with it- if it gets put to print, I'm sure that it will have a great subscriber base.

DaBruteForceGuy
03-26-2002, 05:23 PM
well you know many teams have their own magazene. like Stuyvessant high school. maybe you should get some tips from them!

Keith Chester
03-26-2002, 09:47 PM
It's a great idea. Also you can add in tips to help out rookie teams. However, it shouldn't be web based. I'm sure if FIRST steps behind it which they probably would you'd be able to distribute it nationally to suscribers.

MattK
12-09-2002, 04:32 PM
THE FIRST INSIDER (www.firstinsider.cjb.net)

or read this thread (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=108228)

Gene F
12-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Your link didn't work! I keep getting "Object not found" errors.

:confused:

MattK
12-09-2002, 05:10 PM

Works 4 me

David Kelly
12-09-2002, 06:06 PM

nope, it doesn't work

Jon K.
12-09-2002, 08:23 PM
The link works fine for me.

Michael Murphy
12-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Link works fine for me...and good choices for pics on the front page ;)

Todd Derbyshire
12-10-2002, 01:03 AM
Love the pics and I am willingly to write occasionaly a column on strategy for the game. I'm not sure what you want in the article. If you are interested in my input just email me at tsd2@cisunix.unh.edu

Jeremy Roberts
12-10-2002, 02:15 AM
I can't believe I missed this entire thread earlier this year. I would love to do some articles or something to add to the newsletter. I even volunteer the Georgia Tech FIRST group <looking around to make sure no one is watching>:D

I don't know how much time I could put in but if your looking for something in particular, like an article or how to, drop me an email or something.

Ken Leung
12-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Glad to see people are still interested in doing this. Just got an e-mail from Gene, and I've been talking to Robby a few weeks ago too, seems like both of them will be fairly busy doing projects of their own.

Mean while, I am going to work hard making the CD newsletter much better this year, and I am planning to send out a new one in a week or two greeting new people and making sure people didn't miss out on some of the important threads through out per season.

But, I am still very interested in knowing how many wants to be involved in making something like a FIRST web-magazine.

Katie Reynolds
12-11-2002, 05:13 PM
I'm still interested :)

- Katie

Mike o.
12-11-2002, 07:00 PM
I am still very interested in being part of a FIRST web-magazine. Just keep me updated with any news and whats happening. I would love to see something like this be availible, i think it is a good thing that many people would like and could use. Just keep me updated,

my email is: tennismike7@yahoo.com
AIM: anrchist camera

Thanks, i really hope this works, later

Mike

Ken Leung
12-11-2002, 07:16 PM
I was just thinking, realistically what can be done, and how to make sure we don't think too big before we start doing anything?

Become a Nation wide magazine as popular as "popular science" is probably TOO BIG :P. Post weekly article by FIRSTers on a website is probably something we can do. So, where is the middle ground that's challenging, but feasible for a group of FIRSTers who only meet each other online?

Also, what kind of content would there be? white papers? team history? reports from regionals? question and answer? columns? Interviews?

How do we keep it from being used as teams promoting themselves? Or, should or shouldn’t we allowed teams to promote themselves by writing an article introducing their team?

So many questions…

Joel J
12-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Joel J.
I can and will step forward to do anything, except writing an actual article. :)

Mike o.
12-11-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Ken L
I was just thinking, realistically what can be done, and how to make sure we don't think too big before we start doing anything?

Become a Nation wide magazine as popular as "popular science" is probably TOO BIG :P. Post weekly article by FIRSTers on a website is probably something we can do. So, where is the middle ground that's challenging, but feasible for a group of FIRSTers who only meet each other online?

Also, what kind of content would there be? white papers? team history? reports from regionals? question and answer? columns? Interviews?

How do we keep it from being used as teams promoting themselves? Or, should or shouldn’t we allowed teams to promote themselves by writing an article introducing their team?

So many questions…

I agree that this magazine shouldnt be too big and challenging in the sense of getting out when we first start. It should be a simple little thing that we either post on the web, send as like emails, or mail out to teams. But i think that we should have columns about regionals, a robot Q&A, and things like that. Make it a little like a news letter mixed in with a sporting magazine. it should be both fun and informational for all people in or even not in robotics to look at and read. this is also something that you could possibly give to sponsors to let them get a better feel for the FIRST program and such. let them see what they are really getting into. i think that this is a great idea, and will work if we work hard. the sooner we get this started the sooner we prolly could get feedback on how people like and it how it goes over all. i am very fired up and ready to work on this, and i hope and have a good feeling that this will turn out great. well like i said, just keep me posted, i am very into this, and would like to contribute all i can. thankx

Mike

Ken Leung
12-11-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Mike o.
I agree that this magazine shouldnt be too big and challenging in the sense of getting out when we first start. It should be a simple little thing that we either post on the web, send as like emails, or mail out to teams. But i think that we should have columns about regionals, a robot Q&A, and things like that. Make it a little like a news letter mixed in with a sporting magazine. it should be both fun and informational for all people in or even not in robotics to look at and read. this is also something that you could possibly give to sponsors to let them get a better feel for the FIRST program and such. let them see what they are really getting into. i think that this is a great idea, and will work if we work hard. the sooner we get this started the sooner we prolly could get feedback on how people like and it how it goes over all. i am very fired up and ready to work on this, and i hope and have a good feeling that this will turn out great. well like i said, just keep me posted, i am very into this, and would like to contribute all i can. thankx

Mike

Great ideas, Mike. Well, every project start with the FIRST step :P. As a 1st issue, what do you guys think will be appropiate for contents?

Few things to think about: How big do we want this to be? Just 1 e-mail with a few stories? Or a small version of a magazine with quite a bit of content?

In another word, what format do you guys want to see this have?

Mike o.
12-11-2002, 10:34 PM
Well Ken, i think we should think about how we wanna do this, if we want an email, or a webpage. If its an email, then we should have just a couple stories, not too many cause it could cause discouragement in alot of people to read on and on. I also think, that maybe we could send out an email giving the highlight of the stories that are on the magazine website, and have those highlight stories be links to the stories and the website it self. As for what should be in the 1st issue, I could say along with some other people that maybe the top headline would and could possibly be the move of Nats from Orlando to Houston. We could have some write something up giving a synopsus of what people think, and just things that teams could do at Houston. Basically almost up to the writters opinion. I also think that maybe we could have some Q&A's for some of the new teams as well as the verteran teams, we could possible take the questions from some of the bery recent threads here and put them in with answers, of course the answers will be much more condensed, and we would prolly combine alot of the reply threads. I also think that we should have maybe a calendar of events and things like such. also maybe we could talk about the new EDUrobot. i sure people would like to find out things on that. also some other things i know we could talk about, but cant think of them right now. but thats my thoughts for the first issue and such. what do you think, what does everyone else think. id like to hear some feedback on what other people think to my ideas. are they good? are they bad? are they doable or not doable? what does everyone think? thankx

Mike

Jeremy Roberts
12-11-2002, 10:37 PM
In addition to figuring out what format we want to begin with, I think we should set up some broad content areas so that people can begin to write/submit. These areas could be:

1) "unbiased" critiques of regional competitions and venues
2) Rookies
3) Match - Play by Plays
4) People in FIRST
5) "Driving Tomorrows Technology" (Technical look at robot systems)

These are just a few I quickly thought up. Even if an article or piece of info is not used now, it may be of use later on for "the next edition.:)" Please add to this, remove stuff or tell me if you dont think this is necessary.

Having a repository of articles or just ideas for articles will allow this not only to start strong but to continue in the same fashion.
What do you think?

I would like to see it start with a small version of the mag (even one/two page(s)). It will take a bit more work to get up, but from there we can hopefully move faster.

Mike o.
12-11-2002, 10:44 PM
i agree with skyman9000, we need to prolly set some content areas that we want to have in our mag. i mean without this structure, we will not do so well. i have already ran into this with my new team this year. it is a rookie team, Team 1086 in Glen Allen, Va. I has had not structure from the beginning and has fallen apart, we are trying to get it back on track, and its working but very slowly. I think that we should establish some criteria and what we want to have. also, do we want to set up anything like editors, photogs (photographers), and jobs like that. I personally think that setting this up like this would help in stability of the mag, and a way for people to goto when they have problems or need questions answered for certain things. I myself would like to be an editor and/ or write articles for the mag. what does everyone else think. what would everyone else like to see????

Mike

MattK
12-11-2002, 10:51 PM
CALLING EVERYONE

FIRST INSIDER IS LOOKING FOR WRITERS, EDITORS, PHOTOGRAPHERS, THINK TANKERS, LAY-OUT DESIGNERS, GRAPHIC ARTISTS and anyone ells who wants to get involved!

IF you are interested e-mail us (matt@geek-gear.com) and make the subject line what you want to do

Ken Leung
12-11-2002, 11:24 PM
i agree with skyman9000, we need to prolly set some content areas that we want to have in our mag. i mean without this structure, we will not do so well. i have already ran into this with my new team this year. it is a rookie team, Team 1086 in Glen Allen, Va. I has had not structure from the beginning and has fallen apart, we are trying to get it back on track, and its working but very slowly. I think that we should establish some criteria and what we want to have. also, do we want to set up anything like editors, photogs (photographers), and jobs like that. I personally think that setting this up like this would help in stability of the mag, and a way for people to goto when they have problems or need questions answered for certain things. I myself would like to be an editor and/ or write articles for the mag. what does everyone else think. what would everyone else like to see????

Mike

Excellent idea, mike and skyman9000. Structure is what lacked in last year when the people tried starting something. There was a lot of "oh! oh! oh! I want to write something!" but at the end, nothing really happend because everyone got "busy".

2 things to do if we want to have a good start:

1st thing: figure out what area of contents we want to look at as skyman9000 said (by the way what's your real name?) so we can stay focus and guide writers out there who have lots of idea but don't know where to start.

Few things I especially like to see covered:

the regional competitions and championship event
technical look at robot system is definitely a great idea
award winners (like chairman award and woodie flower award) and the story behind their success (because I usually know who won what, but not why).
controversial issues in FIRST, like last year when FIRST announce the qualification for Championship event, and this year Champ. Event moving to Houston, and what people think about it.
Maybe a suggestion section for people to give constructive suggestions to FIRST and the magazine?
And some history behind teams as well.

I think Picture is a must to make this interesting.

2nd thing is figure out what kind of structure we want to work with. Its nice to have a group of people expressing their ideas, on the other hand, it would be good to have a few people in charge of the project so that they can make the decisions and take responsibilities so the writers don't have to. And there should also be a way to check up the progress of the group, to make sure things get done, and the work meet a certain level of quality.

1 more thing. Got to decide how we are publishing these to the public. E-mail? Post in the forum? Website? It would be very easy to make posts in CD when we public article, but hard to attach pictures. On the other hand, for a website we will need web space and a webmaster, but it would be easier to publish articles with lots of contents.

I really like to see something happening, guys. The last few times it got stuck at early levels, and nothing much got done…

Any comment/suggestions?

Jeremy Roberts
12-11-2002, 11:41 PM
1st thing: figure out what area of contents we want to look at as skyman9000 said (by the way what's your real name?) so we can stay focus and guide writers out there who have lots of idea but don't know where to start.

My name is Jeremy Roberts (in my sig). I dont think I could be one of the people heading this up, but I am willing to work as much as possible.

After finals I will have more to contribute.

I vote for website (as long as space can be found)

Michael Murphy
12-12-2002, 02:31 AM
I'd kind of like to see each issue have a spotlight on a team or two. Maybe with a brief history, followed by what they're doing this year? We could set it up so we have one newer team along with a veteran.

Another maybe- at the end of each season, the editors (i think one might be needed for each area/topic, +one or two editors-in-chief) could hand out awards...or on second thought, they could come up with nominees, and have the readers vote.

I'd also like to contribute.

I also vote for a website, and I think I may be able to get some web space.

Mike o.
12-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, these are great ideas. I myself wouldn't mind heading it up if it was not just me. Id also like to write and be an editor. But back to the content. I think that both Jeremy and Michael have really good ideas. and that we can do this and this will be very good. I myself vote for a web-page, but like Ken said, we need web space. i know that Michael said that he could possibly get web space, so we might be off to a good start. also when we come up with how we want it. I also be that we need to think about a lay-out design. we really cant have an idea of what goes where and not have room for somethings sometimes. Also if we decide to do this. what would be the format for submission that the writers would have to send things in. this is really great, and we are off to a great start, but we still have alot of work to do. I know we can do this. So GO US!! (Dont know what to say), usually my school just says our mascot, but we are different. maybe we could say GO TEAM, lets thing about that also, something to say to keep up motivated and hyped up, what does everyone think, remember all opinions and ideas are welcome. everyone needs feedback to back this the best it ca be.

Mike

Gene F
12-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Sounds like you're starting where we have already been. I would be happy to share what Colleen, Robby and I had started. I am still interested in being part of this, I'm just a bit busy right now. I think the best thing to do right now is get articles from peaple and see where it leads. Less planning and more action. My previous calls for articles didn't produce any results. To make this thing happen there needs to be content not just organization. (didn't mean to sound negative!) keep it going, I'll help where I can!

Gene F

Joe Matt
12-12-2002, 09:59 AM
I leave for one day and the world goes nuts!!! :p

No, really, I'm on the mailing list for the FIRST mag and I'm interested. You can get me at school at the_mole1314@spymac.com or JWM1314@aol.com or JosephM1314@yahoo.com. My AIM is JWM1314.

Mr. Ivey
12-12-2002, 10:58 AM
I would be willing to contribut, but i'm mainly a computer sciences kinda buy in the Macintosh area mainly. I'm willing to contribut in any way possible though.
mark

Ken Leung
12-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Sounds like you're starting where we have already been. I would be happy to share what Colleen, Robby and I had started. I am still interested in being part of this, I'm just a bit busy right now. I think the best thing to do right now is get articles from peaple and see where it leads. Less planning and more action. My previous calls for articles didn't produce any results. To make this thing happen there needs to be content not just organization. (didn't mean to sound negative!) keep it going, I'll help where I can!

Gene F

Good call, Gene. Well, is there anyone who want to see something in the content other than the ones Mike, Jeremy and I suggested?

If not... Then we can start generating articles as the first step, like Gene said. A lot of you said you are willing to contribut. Please let the group know what topic you want to write, or if you still aren't sure what topic you want to do.

Joe Matt
12-12-2002, 03:13 PM
I can be an opinion writer. :)

Mike o.
12-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Hey guys, well this is great. i think that we will be able to have something here. i myself wouldnt mind writing an article. some of the articles that i see that we could have for this FIRST issue are the topics of Nats new location and the EDURobot. I also see that we could possibly have maybe tech news. really dont know what we could talk about, and we should maybe have a calendar of some sort to let teams know when things are happening. i also believe that maybe we should have like Joe said, a opinion article of some sort, and just things about FIRST. Really dont know what to say right now. i also think that another goal for right now should also be a layout of how we are going to set this up. So many things and soo many good IDEAS. I can tell that this is going to be one great thing here. We will be successful, i hope.

Mike

Ken Leung
12-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Since we started talking about this again, the following people have expressed interest in helping out:

Katie Reynolds
Jeremy Roberts
Mike O'Brien
Joel J. (anything but writing an article, right?)
Mike Murphy
Gene F. (busy, but we could ask Gene for advise)
JosephM (full name?)
Mr. Ivey
Me

And it seems like everyone is voting to do a website for this.

Mike and Gene brought up some important points on how we should start. Having a layout of how we are setting this up is important, in terms of the lay out for the mag and the group. At the same time, we need contents for the mag, so we know what we have to lay out the mag, and we can only get content if people are willing to write them.

We can start with doing a few simple topics first, and see who are willing to write which topic. Should be simple enough, and let's just say this is a "test run" of the mag.

Few specific topics people want to see writen:

Championship Event moving to a new location
EDURobot
Spot light on teams(?)
Opinion page

Are there any other suggestions what we can do in the "test run" issue? I think 3~5 article would be a good number to start with.

Also, before we can make a website, we will need a web master and a place to put the website on. For now, we can easily post articles by posting them in the forum, or in e-mail, which we have to do if we can't find someone willing to help make a web page.

What do you guys think?

Mike o.
12-12-2002, 06:13 PM
All these ideas are great. I myself think that first we should establish what i want to call positions. this will help with our structure and the ability to get things done. I think we should establish who will be incharge of this operationk, either it being one, two, or even three people. We could make these people the Chief Editor(s). then we also need writers/ journalists, photogs(photographers), and someone to come up with the design. We also need a webmaster, this is the person that the Chief Editor(s) will give all the articles to. We also need to establish a format for sending in articles. i know that not all of us are using a windows based machine with word or something like that on it. I know some of us are using macs that they own or are issued by the county (ie ME, but i also use word at home on my desktop). So what will be our standard format. We should consider, RTF, HTML, DOC, etc. I also think that we need to establish a place on the magazine that has ways that people know who is who and how to reach us. This will be very important in the future. I also think that we should start sending out group emails, and maybe even start our own group at yahoo, or somewhere, so that we can have a place that we can go and talk to eachother, and post questions, deadlines, things that need to be done, and just a place that we can talk about things to come. What does everyone think about this? Hell, i know of a free forum site, aint that great, but we could have our own forum for us, and we could have news and things like that there, and that is also were we could submit our finished articles and stuff. What does everyone think about that??? We need opinions here, we need to hear the voice of all. Well im gots to go now, but i will be on, and everyone add me to their AIM, if they have it. We need to keep in touch.

AIM: anrchist camera

Mike

Joe Matt
12-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Full Name: Joseph Matt
AIM: JWM1314
E-Mail: JosephM1314@yahoo.com
Motto: Will Work 4 Segway (hint hint)

I would love to do the chamionship article, but only if you think it's ok since my views might cause a stir. Also for tech, I'm not thinking just gadgets, but also neato geeky things like the new Mission:Space attraction at Epcot, 3D LCD's, and other sweet things.

But here lies the question. Monthly publications or a 'post when recieved' type approach with a .pdf or Mag comming monthly with more articles and pics, or just a .pdf or Mag, or just the 'post when recieved?

Ken Leung
12-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Just sent out an e-mail to the original e-mail list for the people who are interested. Please give us your e-mail address if you aren't on the list already. Colleen, Robby, and Gene were the 3 person who were willing to take charge of the project, but Gene told us he's busy, and we haven't heard from Colleen and Robby. Hopefully they will see the e-mail I just sent out and tell us if they are willing to take charge of the project again.

Mike o.
12-12-2002, 11:19 PM
Here is a place that we could possible use, what does everyone think. If we decide to use it, this is were we will have updates, threads, and things like that. all our ideas will then be posted up there. so what does everyone think, everyone please give feedback.

http://firstmag.conforums.com

go there, check it out, and tell us what you think

Mike

Brandon Martus
12-12-2002, 11:22 PM

go there, check it out, and tell us what you think

every time i load a page -- i get a message telling me to turn off my pop-up killer. :(

Katie Reynolds
12-12-2002, 11:33 PM
OK, here's the deal:

I talked to Ken tonight, and we really want to make this magazine happen! So here is what we are going to do. If you are interested in helping out with a magazine, sign up on the FIRST Robotics Magazine Forums (http://firstmag.conforums.com/). Then, on Monday (12/16/02) at 8 pm (CST -- that means 9 pm for those of you who are right-coasters, and 6 pm for those of you who are left-coasters!;)) meet in the FIRST Tigerboly chatroom (http://www.rit.edu/~us1stwww/chat.html ) to discuss ideas and what needs to be done in order to make this idea a reality.

See you on Monday!

- Katie

Michael Murphy
12-13-2002, 12:36 AM
Just a note- I got the space for the newsletter, so now all we need is a Webmaster. Volunteers?

I'd be willing to work as an editor and/or on the opinion page.

Hey...I'm the first member or the FIRST Mag forums...Hooray for me. :cool:

And Ken, add me to the mailing list

greenmagemike@hotmail.com

Ken Leung
12-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Sunny from the mailing list said he really want to be the web master for this, and he said "I would really like to make an entirely dynamic site that doesn’t require much maintance but for now I can handle it myself. "

I guess we have a web master for now ;). Is there anyone else willing to help out with creating/maintaining a web site?

Sunny Thaper
12-13-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Ken L
Sunny from the mailing list said he really want to be the web master for this, and he said "I would really like to make an entirely dynamic site that doesn’t require much maintance but for now I can handle it myself. "

I guess we have a web master for now ;). Is there anyone else willing to help out with creating/maintaining a web site? Right on.

Gene F
12-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Colleen, Robby and I came up with the following mission/vision statement:

Supporting the views of Dean Kamen and the FIRST organization, ThinkFIRST is a periodical designed to inspire students to pursue science, technology and engineering opportunities. ThinkFIRST will use hard copy and web-based magazines to build self-confidence while motivating and influencing generations of young adults to develop their own ideas into reality. It will work to connect young adults with the resources they need to succeed in tackling science, technology and life issues. Using the experience and inspiration of others already involved in science, technology and engineering as the back bone of this effort, ThinkFIRST will be another step along the path which will ultimately change the culture of the world to perceive the sciences as "cool" and engineers, technologists, and scienctists as the superhereos of our future generations.

I think it is important that the whole team have a common vision of where we are headed.

We have an outline of content in a tool called Groove. I'll try to get it into something I can post here.

Gene F

Leon Machado IV
12-13-2002, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure if it's been offered yet, but I do have a full server with bandwith and all that good stuff just going to waste that I would be glad to offer to host this thing.

The only thought is would we like to use a direct link to it, such as www.firstmagazine.com or something to that effect.

Comments, questions, whatever. Email me at lmachadoiv@inspirationinc.org. Cya

Lee

Nate Smith
12-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Thaper
Right on.

I'll dive in and help out with this one...I just recently got a lot more time on my hands...

Jeremy Roberts
12-13-2002, 02:22 PM
I don't think I"m on the mailing list so please add me. I'll know more of what I can do to add to the mag come January. Unfortunatly I can make that Monday meeting Katie mentioned. Can someone post what went on on the FIRST MAg forum or something. Thanks

Email: gte787s AT prism.gatech.edu

Katie Reynolds
12-13-2002, 02:36 PM
I'll try to keep minutes of the meeting, for those who can't make it.

- Katie

Sunny Thaper
12-13-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Nate Smith
I'll dive in and help out with this one...I just recently got a lot more time on my hands... That would be much appreciated, thanks. My email, for reference, is Sunny@IamTtam.com. Email me anytime you want.

Ken Leung
12-17-2002, 09:47 AM
The meeting on Monday went really well, but I will let Katie post up the meeting notes.

The following people are the ones expressing interest in helping out with the magazine in this thread and through the e-mail list since the beginning of this thread:

Bob Olmedo
Colleen Shaver
Donn Griffith
Gene Falendysz
Jason Rudolph
Jeffrey Wetzel
Jeremy Roberts
Jon Lawton
Joseph Matt
Katie reynolds
Ken Leung
Mel Wheeler
Michael Murphy
Mike O'brien
Mike Schroeder
Mr. Ivey
Nate Smith
Robby Olmedo
Scott Devey
Sunny Thaper
Timothy Frank Hsu
Todd Derbyshire

I will still need e-mail address from Mike Schroeder, Mr. Ivey, Nate Smith, Mel Wheeler, and Todd Derbyshire, please e-mail them to me at wheres_kenny@hotmail.com . But other than that, the contact list is all set. I will be the person in charge of the contact list, so e-mail me or IM me if you need contact info of other magazine people.

If you are interested in helping out, but isn't on the list above, please reply to this thread saying you are interested. Otherwise, you won't be included on the mailing list, and won't be hearing from the us anymore.

Feel free to IM/PM me if you have any question about this and the magazine.

Joe Matt
12-17-2002, 09:49 AM
Mike O, please send me a PM about team 1086. Thanks.

Jason M
12-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Hey yall,
As I posted last year when this topic was first brought up I would love to help. Over the past few months I have been going through a period where I was not looking at the prospect of being on a FIRST team, therefore I wasnt very active on the boards so I wasnt aware of this becoming a reality. I would love to help you guys in what ever way possible so please let me know!

Jason Melberg
Melberg13@attbi.com

Joe Matt
12-17-2002, 10:52 AM
Jason, I'm doing an article on new teams. I'm going to do Deep Run. If you have any meetings this week, tell me. And I also want to talk to Mr. King (e-mail?) and other things.

Jason M
12-17-2002, 12:15 PM
we have no meetings this week for some odd reason. We MIGHT be having a meeting jan. 4th. We will prolly end up not even having a meeting then because we havnt gotten our act together. If you would like to come we are prolly having after school meetings starting jan 6th. thanx

Joe Matt
12-17-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Jason M
we have no meetings this week for some odd reason. We MIGHT be having a meeting jan. 4th. We will prolly end up not even having a meeting then because we havnt gotten our act together. If you would like to come we are prolly having after school meetings starting jan 6th. thanx

I'll talk to you on AIM. 6th is when the article is DUE.

Cory
12-17-2002, 12:52 PM
I would like to be on the email list also. My email address is team100cory@aol.com

Jason M
12-17-2002, 04:15 PM
I would also like to get the email list. My email is Melberg13@attbi.com and im Jason Melberg =)

Ken Leung
12-17-2002, 05:08 PM
The notes of last night's meeting is on the forum Mike O set up for us. The url of the thread Katie posted is:

http://firstmag.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1040101637

We got lots of stuff decided last night, I am so proud :D.