PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Jeanne

ahecht
09-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Well, as of 11am, Jeanne (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=5) is now a hurricane, so I thought it deserved its own thread.

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/adc_hurr_images/2004/aj/UHAJ_1.GIF (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=5)http://sirocco.accuweather.com/adc_hurr_images/2004/aj/UHAJ_2.GIF (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=5)

Looks like it's heading right towards central Florida...

Dorienne
09-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Florida really is getting killed this season...Let's just pray everything will turn out okay.
Good luck to the teams down there with this hurricane, you're in my prayers...
--Dori

Billfred
09-16-2004, 12:32 PM
I dunno...I get a strange feeling on this one.

There is no way that this many hurricanes can all hit almost exactly the same spot in one year. Perhaps it'll curve north and pay good ol' South Cackalacky a visit. (It has been a while.)

Arefin Bari
09-16-2004, 12:35 PM
do i even have to say anything about hurricane jeanne after my comments about charley, frances and ivan? :mad:

but if i could, i would run all of them over with my robot... :rolleyes:

Katie Reynolds
09-16-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm telling you - move to Wisconsin. Sure we get the occasional tornado and lots of snow, but we never have to deal with hurricanes or earthquakes! :D

Or better yet - what about Arizona? I mean, they have their occasional droughts and monsoons but ... the weather's great, if you don't like it too hot.

Seriously, though - If Jeanne decides to pay you a visit, be safe.

ahecht
09-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Hmm, what do you know, Jeanne is back to a tropical storm after hitting Hispaniola, but it is supposed to strengthen back into a hurricane Friday.

Tytus Gerrish
09-16-2004, 05:30 PM
ok. another one. Bring it on. jenine

IGAB913
09-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Ohhhh hurricanes are fun.... :D

George1902
09-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Ohhhh hurricanes are fun.... :D
<rant>
I don't think I've heard a more asinine statement. Ever.

Thousands of people are still without power (including my aunt, uncle, and their two young children). My family's home and buisiness suffered tens of thousands of dollars in damage. And I'll be making another two-hour drive down to Stuart to finish cleaning up.

Hurricanes are massive, damage-producing monsters. They aren't "fun."
</rant>

Grow up...

Tytus Gerrish
09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
i think he was being sarcastic George, he was in a crouded house in juipter when the huricane hit and sleped on a kitchen floor.

Ryan Albright
09-17-2004, 03:17 AM
i wouldnt look at any other forcast models then what the National hurricane center put out. Each News station and website makes there own predictions.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT11/refresh/AL1104W5+GIF/170313W5.gif

suneel112
09-17-2004, 02:07 PM
I pray for everyone in Florida, especially the FIRST Team Members. It is really unfortunate that four hurricanes have/will hit Florida and more are probably coming. Despite all the tragedy, I think there is a hard lesson to be learned. That lesson is global warming. It is not more days at the beach. It is flooding in Indiana (during the summer), Killer Hurricanes, Forest Fires, drought, famine, etc...
This is a bit off topic, and I may start a thread on it, but it is time for us Engineers (or Engineers to be) to put our superior brain power into helping to save the environment.

Ryan Albright
09-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Hmm well August and September our the "busiest" hurricane months, and they predicted 12-14 named storms this year so we look like we are hitting that quota soon. I was reading on drudge report that the people at the National Hurricane center are predicting like a possiblity of 30 more years like this. I am actually getting use to this.

Here was a sign on A house for Sale in Florida

It read: "1 Charley, 2 Frances, 3 Ivan, 4 Sale."

lol i love it

Blacknight
09-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Glad I fixed my 1970 generator during the last hurricane. Not joking but the old gas in the bowl was forming into coal. I doubt this one will hit us, and if it does it will be nothing but a tropical storm, some winds and rain but not much...

Katie Reynolds
09-17-2004, 02:59 PM
That lesson is global warming. It is not more days at the beach. It is flooding in Indiana (during the summer), Killer Hurricanes, Forest Fires, drought, famine, etc...
There was an interesting article on Yahoo! Weather the other day I was reading ... I copied the parts I found interesting - there's more there about global warming, how a hurricane forms, etc. in the actual article

Brace yourselves: Scientists say 65 million Americans living on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts should expect weather like this for another 30 years. Maybe more.... It might be a generation before hurricane weather slips back into a quiet phase, he and other experts say.

"The hurricane threat is much greater than it was in the 1970s through early 1990s," said federal meteorologist Stan Goldenberg, who flew around Hurricane Ivan in research aircraft as it approached Mobile, Ala. "It could last another 10 to 40 years."

Goldenberg and other experts believe the current hurricane surge is part of an obvious storm cycle that probably has been waxing and waning for hundreds of years.

Roughly from 1970-94, Atlantic hurricane activity in the United States was relatively mild. Sure, there were monster hurricanes like Andrew in 1992 its 177 mph winds killed 55 people in the U.S. and Caribbean and caused $26.5 billion in damage. Every year a big storm whips up it's just that most fizzle before veering into a city.

Overall, the 25-year "quiet" period generated about half as many destructive storms as the previous stormy phase dating back to the 1920s, and about half as many as today's stormy phase appears likely to produce. Since 1995, environmental conditions have shifted and the Atlantic has been spawning more strong storms. ... Last month, Gray tweaked his gloomy 2004 forecast downward, predicting 13 named storms rather than 14. He expected seven storms to blow up into hurricanes, three with sustained winds of 111 mph or greater. ... Why is the storm cycle intensifying now? Scientists aren't certain what causes the decades-long shifts in the ocean-atmosphere interplay. ...

When the Pacific Ocean cools during the La Nina climate phenomenon, the Atlantic warms up, and more hurricanes are the result. Over the Atlantic, wind shear that knocks down rising storms tend to slacken, while humid westerly winds from Africa's bulge grow stronger. ... Most scientists agree that global warming plays little or no role in the number of storms in the current hurricane cycle. ... so far, climate change is too uncertain and today's hurricane patterns are too complex to draw a connection.

"I don't think the warming now is anywhere near enough to account for the increase in hurricanes that we're seeing," said Robert Gall of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo. "To me, this is just a natural variation in the frequency of hurricanes."

From: Forcasters: More hurricanes may be on way (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=10&u=/ap/20040917/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_cycle)

Not to say global warming isn't a problem, just that it has very little (if nothing) to do with the hurricane surge this year.

tiffany34990
09-17-2004, 06:21 PM
it's not a hurricane right now--tropical depression ppl---no worries right now--but doesn't seem like it'll hit us right now

CourtneyB
09-17-2004, 06:36 PM
good luck to everyone in the hurricane area. thts crazy how u guys are gettin this many hurricanes. hopefully there wont be another one after hurricane Jeanne. :ahh:
-Court-

Ryan Albright
09-17-2004, 07:27 PM
it's not a hurricane right now--tropical depression ppl---no worries right now--but doesn't seem like it'll hit us right now

It was downgraded in about 5 hours it went from a hurricane to a tropical depression they dont even think its going to be that in a couple of days

Chris Fultz
09-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Did anyone see it named "Javier" for a little while? It was just during one report on the Weather Channel. They must have figured out it was girl name time and changed to Jeanne.

We hope everyone is safe and recovering, and getting prepared for the next storm.

MisterX
09-17-2004, 09:42 PM
good luck to everyone in the hurricane area. thts crazy how u guys are gettin this many hurricanes. hopefully there wont be another one after hurricane Jeanne. :ahh:
-Court-

Isn't there Karl behind Jeanne? and also the start of the formation of one by Cape Horn that has not yet been named yet I think. :confused:

My heart and prayers go out to all those that have been affected by these tragedies. :(

On the plus side it does appear Jeanne is vearing offf to the east and will strike somewhere in the MidAtlantic region leaving Florida out of it this time.

Katie Reynolds
09-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Isn't there Karl behind Jeanne? Tropical Storm Karl ... it's way out east in the Atlantic though - right now it isn't an "immediate threat to land"

Alan Anderson
09-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Did anyone see it named "Javier" for a little while? It was just during one report on the Weather Channel.
Javier is a Pacific cyclone. It's been moving up the west coast of Mexico, and will probably cross Baja California in the next day or so as a tropical depression.

Gabe Salas Jr.
09-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Jeanne is now a threat. It basically made a big U-turn and is headed towards where I live. Boarderline Category 3. Oh no. I hope NASA does not get any more damage :(

Here is its projected path.

Ashley Weed
09-23-2004, 07:36 AM
This posted this morning on the Weather Channel:

"Just when we though Ivan was a thing of the past, it has been reborn in the Gulf of Mexico and is now threatening the central and western Gulf Coast as a tropical storm. The primary impact will be coastal flooding, especially at times of high tide, and flooding rains. Showers and storms will continue to target parts of the lower Mississippi Valley and Texas Gulf Coast today as Ivan approaches."

EricS-Team180
09-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Jeanne is now a threat.

FLORIDA - the plywood state :rolleyes:

tiffany34990
09-23-2004, 12:40 PM
well it was interesting to wake up this morning--1/2 asleep and then hearing our lovely east coast is going to be hit--another one-great--these hurricanes are just going around and around :ahh:

Ryan Albright
09-23-2004, 12:58 PM
The thing did a big u turn like that was incredible. I hope it wont hit but i mean as of now it looks like it. I reall hope NASA doesnt get hit hard. When Frances was threatening i remember one of the news stations reporting from Kennedy space center and they said that if the shuttles get any major damage from a hurricane that the space program is in serious Jeporady. I forget what the building is called were they keep the shuttles but i remember them saying it can withstand winds up to 115 mph. o well here we go again

Blacknight
09-23-2004, 03:06 PM
ok I want to know what has Stuart done? This one is folloing Frances' path exactly and the middle of the projected path is us once again. *sigh* This time I'm taking the robot from the pit....

Joshua May
09-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Wow, I thought you guys were in the clear when she turned and dissipated. She absolutely ravaged Haiti, over 800 dead and some 1,250 missing. :(

Blacknight
09-23-2004, 06:44 PM
School's canceled, Just to be made up again. Looks to be a cat 3 this time. Stronger than before yet still going to be a wicked ride. Good luck to all!

Tytus Gerrish
09-23-2004, 08:11 PM
heh? well Im still going to orlando saturday anyways

Gabe Salas Jr.
09-23-2004, 08:12 PM
I forget what the building is called were they keep the shuttles but i remember them saying it can withstand winds up to 115 mph.

Vehicle Assembly Building

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/facilities/vab.html

Tytus Gerrish
09-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Stupid huricanes Ruining all my plans

Barry Bonzack
09-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Goodness not again. Welcome to the Sunshine state.

Arefin Bari
09-23-2004, 09:59 PM
"umm... mommy where are the shutters, do i need to put them up again... is it okay if i just go to robotics and build a robot which can fight the hurricane? :)"

Stephen Kowski
09-23-2004, 10:34 PM
stupid hurricane.....bring it jeanne....

ahecht
09-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Well, Jeanne has officially completed its loop. Freaky.

http://hurricane.terrapin.com/ATL-11A/track.gif

Also, they're predicting Jeanne will still be a tropical storm when it hits New England (the last few were depressions), so things don't looks so great up here.

Ryan Albright
09-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Vehicle Assembly Building

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/facilities/vab.html
Thank YOu

Well evacuations of UCF dorms start tommorow, glad i am not in one of those i am going to ride this hurricane out

Adam Y.
09-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Also, they're predicting Jeanne will still be a tropical storm when it hits New England (the last few were depressions), so things don't looks so great up here
Jeanne is following a path like she is drunk. Going around in circles like that. I didn't even know a stom could do that.

Matt_Kaplan1902
09-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Were now under a Hurricane Warning. So, yeah, its shutter time.

Blacknight
09-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Jeanne is following a path like she is drunk. Going around in circles like that. I didn't even know a stom could do that.

She's Drunk? Look at Ivan's complete path, He's supposto go back into the gulf and strengthen again and hit florida one more time....

Adam Y.
09-24-2004, 07:06 PM
She's Drunk? Look at Ivan's complete path, He's supposto go back into the gulf and strengthen again and hit florida one more time....
I never heard that. All Ivan is supposed to do is rain in Texas. Then again seeing the storm tracking of Ivan is a bit odd too. His track zigs right back into the Gulf in a straight line.

Blacknight
09-25-2004, 06:48 AM
She's getting stronger...
I feel like I'm stuck in open water and the shark coming for me keeps getting bigger...

Robot Dude 0101
09-25-2004, 09:22 AM
I live on a barrier island in Florida and the police and fire department were driving around yelling though their loud speakers: "MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER" "EVERYONE MUST EVACUATE THE BARRIER ISLANDS FOR YOUR SAFETY". The police even went door to door.

They told me to leave but I told them I was staying. I hope my house doesnt get destroyed since I'll be staying in it the entire time.

Btw: I dont even have shutters up!

Lisa Perez
09-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Guys.. Stay safe again! I'll be praying

Tytus Gerrish
09-25-2004, 11:20 AM
woow its Kinda windy outside now. still have power tho

Ryan Albright
09-25-2004, 02:18 PM
WEll my apartment community went under mandatory evacuation again so instead of going home i went to Gainsville to see some of my friends we are bunkering up here tillt he storm passes. I just got back from the gator game it was alot of fun

Barry Bonzack
09-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Going through the routines... taking all the stuff outside inside, throwing patio furniture into the pool. Updated my boarded up windows, and wondering how much longer I'll have power for. Eventually I'll unplug the computer.

SuperDave
09-26-2004, 01:13 AM
i feel bad for all you ppl in florida and the SE. good luck.

FYI
Las Vegas = great year round weather :-) hehe.

Tytus Gerrish
09-26-2004, 09:53 AM
ok so i get up this morning and im missing a coupple trees and power.

tiffany34990
09-26-2004, 10:28 AM
well i went to bed w/o power-- slept through the eye cause it's utterly boring w/o power not net is no fun or tv or ac--my dad keep waking me up with the flashlight looking around-- my house is fine though-one branch down on a tree in the front of my house---more pool screening out but the structure is okay-- well no power still when i woke up but i have power right now at my house--so my fish can live again yay :)

i hope everyone else did alright-- tons of rain though and wind of course

enjoy everyone!!

Franchesca
09-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Well Jeanne is set to come through Tampa from 12:00 - 2:00 p.m. so it's close! :ahh: Every thing's good still - power, no flooding, and not major damage (sat least not where I live).

I hope that everyone is well! Please be safe and take care of yourself and your loved ones!! :D

Dave Scheck
09-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Well I came down from Chicago to Florida for a little vacation, and ended up stuck here! After spending some time in Orlando, we took a scheduled trip to Bonita Springs on Friday. We were supposed to fly out of Ft Myers tonight (Sunday), but our flight's been cancelled. We got some decent wind last night and are getting some crazy rain right now. Hope all of you on the East coast are safe.

George1902
09-26-2004, 12:34 PM
To those of you with friends and family in the area of landfall, authorities are urging everyone to keep the phone lines free. I'm keeping informed with a radio station that streams live on the internet. Here's the url for those interested:

http://www.wzzr.com/liquid.html

Everyone stay safe.

Gabe Salas Jr.
09-26-2004, 01:38 PM
I lost power a few times, but not for very long. It is still rainy and windy. We had a tornado touch down in Brevard County; I do not know where. I went outside a little early today, and a common park I go to along the river side, is completely submerged. Probably because of the ten foot water surge. I guess I fared well.

Unfortunately, not to many others did as well as I have. The VAB has recieved damage as well. :(

Here is the article: http://www.wftv.com/news/3761748/detail.html

Make sure you check out the photos, and the interactive hurricane tracker.

Tytus Gerrish
09-26-2004, 02:46 PM
i don't have power now

Dan Richardson
09-27-2004, 12:07 AM
UCF got evacuated.. kinda sucked.. but I went to a friends house, just a lot of wind here, I don't know if we even ever lost power.. But we got a few cool signs! lol

Elgin Clock
09-27-2004, 01:17 AM
i don't have power now
Umm.. was that a joke? I hope so. How do you post on CD without power.
Did you build a generator out of your old Lego hovercrafts?? :ahh:

roninmedia
09-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm just tired of hurricanes. We suffered the most roof damage this time, but power was out for the shortest period of time.

Blacknight
09-29-2004, 05:52 PM
lost screening but just got power today...
all i'm worried about is our pit, it probably flooded... :(

Jay H 237
09-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Umm.. was that a joke? I hope so. How do you post on CD without power.
Did you build a generator out of your old Lego hovercrafts?? :ahh:

I tried something that worked well and others might want to try it in the future.

I used my laptop (with it's internal battery) and plugged my cable modem and router into my UPS (from my desktop) and turned it on. I unplugged the desktop from it so the only drain on it was the modem and router. I turned the UPS off after a half hour and didn't give it a chance to fully drain so I don't know how long it would have lasted. For the desktop with a 17" monitor it's rated for about 18 minutes. The only thing annoying was the beeps it kept letting out.

Spammy Badame
09-29-2004, 08:39 PM
I started a puzzle on Saturday night. Our lights started flickering at 6:15 PM. We finally lost power at 8:25. Yesterday the power came on at 6:45. I was in the kitchen getting ready to eat. As soon as i came on i ran outside screaming "power, power, power, we've got electricity! turn on your lights! the powers on! the powers on!" it was sooo funny. but the best thing was that we ate dinner outside, even tho the lights were on inside. it was sooo wonderful. there was absolutely NO noise! all the generators had turned off, everyone had gone inside, and it was too soon for everyone to have turned on thier air conditioners yet, so it was complete quiet. I have not heard that noise in forever, it was just so amazing...