PDA

View Full Version : Teaching n00bs

kcy88
10-11-2004, 10:31 PM
:D That time of year again...
So, I was just wondering how other teams are training new members who are interested in doing animation. Since I oversee my team's animation group this year, I'm planning on assigning homework once every week from now until kickoff. Right now, we don't have easy access to 3ds max at school, and from what i hear, it's a complicated process to even install 3dsm on the good school pcs...

I just finished typing up the first homework assignment. It's basically downloading the updated 3DS Max 6.chm file from the discreet website, and defining some basic terms and knowing the layout of the application. I think that's a good start.

---

seems to me everyone is quiet in these forums now.... where is everyone?????

:ahh:

Rafi A
10-11-2004, 11:00 PM
TUTORIALS if you can, are the best way.

Also, this year, we got a pretty sweet deal with a community college, and got them to teach 3DS and Inventor classes twice a week

Elgin Clock
10-11-2004, 11:09 PM
seems to me everyone is quiet in these forums now.... where is everyone?????

:ahh:
Ha Ha.. That's pretty funny.

Cory
10-11-2004, 11:27 PM
#1 suggestion: DON'T call them n00bs :P

Testament-Doom
10-12-2004, 07:07 AM
#1 suggestion: DON'T call them n00bs :P
Yo n00bs, sup?

.........*gets beaten up repeatedly*

.....ow. Well alyways, I'm also starting to learn 3DS max but unfortinatley I don't obtain a copy myself. We do have one in the school though but we haven't gotten it installed yet. Hopefully we will :)

Denman
10-12-2004, 07:32 AM
n00bs will piss people off, and it probably makes them think your a "1337" person (i e sad people...)

Its best to learn on the job as it were , so it might be better if you set them a mini task to complete.... eg we are building a wooden robot to test different wheel configurations over 6 weeks to help us building (probably....)

phrontist
10-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Our main mentor is the Technical Drawing/Computer Graphics teacher and he assigns modeling of the robot to his classes. There is a lot of overlap between technical drawing and robotics so this works out nicely. Last year we didn't have a submission due to paperwork snafus but this year we plan to crush all other submissions with incredibly detailed models. :D

Joshua May
10-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Have them work through many of the different tutorials that come with 3DSMax. I self-taught myself during the build period our rookie year, and produced a not-to-shabby animation after just having completed the tutorials and fooling around with the software for a while. Once their done with some of the tutorials, I'd start giving them parts and have them model them. Start off with the simple things, then as they are more successful move on the the more intricate and difficult parts. Then have them move one to animating them.

kcy88
10-13-2004, 10:03 PM
hehehe, i didn't mean to offend any1 by refering new memebrs as n00bs.
:yikes:

yea, the tutorials shipped with 3ds max are really useful. But I don't like most of the tutorials on the web. Many of the tutorials require some knowledge of 3ds max, or the steps aren't clear enough.

aren't we all n00bs still??
hehe

Bcahn836
10-14-2004, 07:13 AM
we just call them rookies,

M. Hicken
10-15-2004, 08:30 AM
a cattle prod and a taser are usually the easiest way to teach/ controll freshman. Some of the fresh in my engineering class will not be touching the robot unless they mature a little before the kickoff
i fear my teams legacy (or lack there of) will die when the seniors leave this year

Bcahn836
10-15-2004, 10:20 AM
We just had our second meeting, we were getting ready to do a demonstration with the robot, and a set screw was loose and the motor was spinning but the wheel wasn't. So we turned off the power and unplugged the battery and showed the rookies how to diagnose the problem and fix it. After we fixed it while we were about to close the the top on the Electronics board we turned back on the power, at that same instance a rookie hit the controls sitting on the table, which we left on. No one was hurt but it gave us all a scare.Curiosity of the freshmen almost killed the veteran. I hope it doesn't take someone getting hurt the teach a rookie to DO NOT TOUCH.

Steve W
10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
I hope it doesn't take someone getting hurt the teach a rookie to DO NOT TOUCH.

Rookies? I can't even stop our veterans from not touching.

Bcahn836
10-15-2004, 12:47 PM
I would hope that a veteran would know better than touch the controls while someone is working on the robot!!

Andy Baker
10-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Veterans should also know to turn off the power to the robot and OI when it is being worked on. Don't tell the rookies to "not touch the robot", show them how to work safely.

Andy B.

Bcahn836
10-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Veterans should also know to turn off the power to the robot and OI when it is being worked on. Don't tell the rookies to "not touch the robot", show them how to work safely.

Andy B.

We did. when we finished working the turned on the power and thats when the rookie hit the controls. However we should have disconnected the power of the controls

Smrtman5
10-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Not touching controls, or anything for that matter, that you are unfamiliar with should be common sense. It should not have to be taught especially for the field of robotics. Unfortunatly, most freshmen, and even a scary number of older team members dont seem to realize this. It appears that common sense is not to common anymore. :(

M. Hicken
10-18-2004, 10:20 AM
I would hope that a veteran would know better than touch the controls while someone is working on the robot!!

i wish, last year we had a pneu poker to knock off the 10pt ball, it was hooked up to a few limit switches, our programmer was going to check something when he thought the power was off, walked into the limit switch, 12" throw, 50psi shot to the jewels, he wasnt in for the rest week. yeah, that tought our idiot vetrans to pay attention

vic burg
04-08-2005, 05:07 AM
i am a freshman myself but personally, i think that a few of our freshman are really talented. we have this one kid who created an animation by himself. sadly we didn't end up using it but, it was still pretty awesome. as for me, im not that talented but, since next year, we
re losing our best veterans, the this year freshman and sophomores will basically be running the team. its not really about not letting only veterans work/ yell at the newbies, i think its more or so, who has the talent to work that should.

Ian Curtis
04-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Was this thread revived for a reason?
Anyways I think thast the easiest way to do it is get your hands dirty (ie use the program) personally while the tutorials that are included are good you really need two monitors to use them unless you print them out. And becuase my dual monitor card is yet to arrive I bought this handy dandy book The 3ds max Bible I've taught most of it to myself using the basic tutorials in the book then venturing farther on my own.