PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls

Raven_Writer
12-03-2004, 06:08 PM
What firewall do you use, and why do you use it (AKA: what makes you use Sygate over Novell for example)?

I use Sygate Firewall because it's pretty nice, easy, and friendly in my opinion.

Max Lobovsky
12-03-2004, 06:24 PM
I use the one built into Windows XP (and I'm behind a NAT-ed router) because its worked so far, and it doesn't seem to hamper me in anyway.

Pierson
12-03-2004, 11:54 PM
On my laptop I use ZoneAlarm regular version.
At home... everything is behind a Cisco router then behind a D-Link firewall/router/VPN end-point.

gobeavs
12-03-2004, 11:55 PM
I just use the firewalls on our routers....haven't had any problems so far I don't think.

Elgin Clock
12-04-2004, 01:45 AM
I just use the firewalls on our routers....haven't had any problems so far I don't think.
Same here.

Billfred
12-04-2004, 03:12 AM
Here, I've got the standard WinXP firewall, plus about fifty layers of University of South Carolina technology between me and the internet. (Whether they actually work or not is another issue.)

Sully
12-04-2004, 06:45 AM
I have used Black Ice for about two years - no problems. Why do i use it? The company made me install it. It mostly just tells me when they are pinging my home PC.

interesting link 2005 Firewall review (http://www.personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=2&ttrkey=firewall+review&OVRAW=sygate%20firewall%20&OVKEY=firewall%20review&OVMTC=standard)

nathanielreindl
12-04-2004, 07:50 AM
For my LAN, I use a Linux box that acts a lot like a Linksys/Netgear/D-Link router.

On the contrary, the machines in my DMZ are just hanging out there, fending for themselves. :)

Joe Ross
12-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Depending on the computer, either 1 or 2 SOHO routers, and either iptables, Zonealarm, or Norton Internet Security.

team222badbrad
12-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I just got a new Dell notebook. Since it came with a trial version of Mcafee software I just decided to spend the $50 bucks to get the full version of Virus Scan and Firewall Plus from them.

Will Mcafee be alright or should I simply dump them, get a full refund, and go the free route?

Venkatesh
12-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Under Linux, I use iptables. What else is there to use?

Under Windows, I use the XP SP2 firewall. I used to use ZoneAlarm, since I had no idea what I was doing and that seemed like a good tool. The SP2 firewall is nowhere as demanding as ZoneAlarm and fits my needs excellently.

If you want some measure of outbound protection without any extra tools on Windows XP and 2000, open up the MMC to the IPSEC policy page and create a policy to block all inbound/outbound to any unneeded ports.

Astronouth7303
12-04-2004, 06:55 PM
I use the one on our router, or ZoneAlarm if i'm running a software one.

Pierson
12-04-2004, 09:00 PM
I just got a new Dell notebook. Since it came with a trial version of Mcafee software I just decided to spend the $50 bucks to get the full version of Virus Scan and Firewall Plus from them.

Will Mcafee be alright or should I simply dump them, get a full refund, and go the free route?

The way I keep my computer secure is --> Zone Alarm (free version) --> Norton System Works (Antivirus, registry cleaner, and a whole bunch of useful system optimizers) --> AdAware/Spybot.

Personally, I would spend the $50 on System Works.

Raven_Writer
12-04-2004, 09:53 PM
I've decided to up my security even more.

I still use SyGate Personal Firewall, but I've also re-done the Windows XP (Home [SP1]) Firewall. I doubt it'll give me much (if at all) more security, but just to be safe.

I did try ZoneAlarm, but it wasn't really what I needed, so I'll stick with my SG :)

nparikh
12-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, on my laptop: Win XP Service Pack 2 Pre-installed, so I use that firewall built in. Then I use Norton Firewall/Internet Security. And finally, on the hardware end I use my Netgear G Router which has a "Double Firewall (SPI & NAT)." And that is pretty much it.

evulish
12-07-2004, 01:54 AM
I'm NAT'd, so I don't have much of a use for a firewall. I've never messed with a software firewall, even before I had to use NAT. Heh, and I'm posting this while under a bit of a DoS attack :P

Denman
12-07-2004, 06:32 AM
i have a built in firewall to my router, plus i have the ultimate Norton Systemworks (about 70 or something) but its worth it. I have had quite a lot of people trying to hack me (plus tons of spyware which i believe it also removes mostly). Add on the windows firewall, and i seem to be ok.

VGMasterShadow
12-07-2004, 06:33 AM
I have Norton Internet Security as a firewall.

Raven_Writer
12-08-2004, 05:50 PM
I have Norton Internet Security as a firewall.
I used to use that one (like, 2 years ago or something though). It was decent...it did mess up my internet at first though.

I'm planning on switching firewalls really...SyGate is great, but I want to know something.

Is ZoneAlarm really worth it?