PDA

View Full Version : Where do I learn how to make those LEGO Trophies?

Amanda M
12-07-2004, 01:08 AM
I am mentoring a team in Kingman this year, and I wanted to know if any of y'all out there know how to make the LEGO trophies they give you at the competitions. You see, I'm a little strange and I want to give my kids an award for all the hard work they've put into their robot.

Please let me know if you can help

Mandy

Elgin Clock
12-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Do you want the small ones, or the larger one(s) with the built in RCX?

I'm going to a FLL tourny (regional?) on Sunday, and can take some pics of one from many angles to send to you to try and copy.

edit: When do you need this by? If not by this weekend, this may work... :)

Amanda M
12-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Well, I don't really need it for a while. Really by the end of the school year. I have a trophy from the Az competition, and I've been looking at it to figure it out, but I was wondering if there was some kind of kit or instruction packet or anything of that sort.

Fat Alex
12-07-2004, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't be amazed if they won an award at Team 60's competition.

Elgin Clock
12-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Well, I don't really need it for a while. Really by the end of the school year. I have a trophy from the Az competition, and I've been looking at it to figure it out, but I was wondering if there was some kind of kit or instruction packet or anything of that sort.Ah.. ok.. gotcha. So you do have an actual trophy you are working from.

That's cool.

Just rip it apart, and duplicate it.. That's what I would do, but that's just me. :ahh:

And, I'll see if I can find someone who may know to ask about this at the tourny on Sunday. LEGO Inc. is based here in CT, so I may just get lucky and find a LEGO employee, or contact for FLL here at the tourny.

I'll get back to you!

greencactus3
12-07-2004, 03:18 PM
design your own!! lots more fun that way!. as long as its symmetrical and has a basic look of a trophy and is basically a single color im sure an original design would be cool! after all, isnt that what lego is all about?

Amanda M
12-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the help. And as for designing one of my own, I might do that, but the kids were really into the FIRST LEGO trophies. I wanted to see what i could do to recreate it so that they would have as close a replica as possible.

And Solex, I know they might win one there, but I want to give them my own special award. It's my dealie.

Jeff Rodriguez
12-07-2004, 10:21 PM
A friend an I were asked to make trophies for our local FLL tournament. At first we tried to build one similar to the ones FIRST makes, but we were told to build something else. FIRST wants to keep their awards special. So, they don't want people replicating them.

We built our own trophies. Each one tried to symbolize whatever award it was for. We made a total of 14 awards (director's awards, design, programming, teamwork, spirit, etc.)
I've uploaded two pictures of some of the awards. All of them were made out of previous years' field pieces. See if you can guess what each one is. ;D

Rich Wong
12-07-2004, 11:05 PM
For the Brooklyn (NYC) local FLL Tournament last year, we used all the spare LEGO stuff and assembled Mars Rover trophies. (I posted the pictures under MISC gallery. ) This year the trophies are a reproduction of the stair mission.
:)

Elgin Clock
12-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the help. And as for designing one of my own, I might do that, but the kids were really into the FIRST LEGO trophies. I wanted to see what i could do to recreate it so that they would have as close a replica as possible.

And Solex, I know they might win one there, but I want to give them my own special award. It's my dealie.
You'll have to hitch a plane ride to the Czech Republic if you want to learn how to make the official FIRST trophys.

They made them there, and shipped them into CT for our FLL event anyways.

But, I did take some pics of all 4 size trophys, and will post some in the gallery later and link to them from here where I am done, just give me some time.

Elgin Clock
12-17-2004, 03:26 AM
OK, here are those pics I promised you.

The trophies are on page 1 & 2 of the gallery page, and a few other things on there as well from the Competition..

http://www.team237.com/gallery/FLL-at-CCSU-2004