PDA

View Full Version : WARNING- New camera meets magic smoke

anna~marie
01-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Just a warning to teams who haven't yet discovered...

Our new camera for autonomous mode fried at our team meeting tonight (oops :yikes: ). Here's the layout of what happened so you guys don't make it turn bright orange and smoke...

Camera assembled with two Servo's attached (all in correct places)

Camera system hooked up to a PC

Camera's PMW and power supply attached to an '04 Robot Controller, hooked up to a modified cordless drill

and here's what made the mess... Wires from Servo external power supply hooked up to a cordless drill battery.

Here's a web-page one our of mentors found about this issue:
Finally, power is needed for the CMUcam2. Be very careful at this stage, reversing the polarity of the power source has a rather spectacular effect as I found out myself first-hand. Smoke, sparks and a dead CMUcam2. The positive (red) cable should connect to Vdd and the negative (black) cable connects to Vss. (http://www.generation5.org/content/2004/cambot.asp)

Highly recommend NOT doing :rolleyes:

roboticsguy1988
01-18-2005, 10:16 PM
:ahh: wow, sorry to hear about that. But thanks for posting..................now i will always check my power connection for the cam.

Mike Betts
01-18-2005, 11:36 PM
...Camera's PMW and power supply attached to an '04 Robot Controller, hooked up to a modified cordless drill...
I do not understand "and power supply". The camera gets all power from the PWM connection (according to the documentation I have)...

russell
01-18-2005, 11:44 PM
you can power it using whatever you want, and methinks they decided to use a cordless drill battery (btw what gave you that idea? is it the right voltage?). But this is probably a good thing to take note of, as it should apply even if you are using the pwm power hookup (though I am sure I have hooked mine up backwards a few times so I dunno why ours is ok....? I actually managed to make ours track a target today. It was a great moment.) Im sorry to hear about your camera though.

CJO
01-18-2005, 11:49 PM
The following is quoted from the camera manual:

The servos can either be powered by internal power or by the external servo power connector. To run them from internal power, connect a jumper across the “internal power to servo” jumper. To run them off of external power, leave the “internal power to servo” jumper open, and connect an external 5-volt power supply to the “external power to servo” connector.
The included diagram is from the camera manual.

NOTE: The first setup assumes that the camera is connected such that the servos are powered from a PWM cable connected to the Robot Controller.

The camera pin diagram can be found on page 12 of the manual.

CJO
01-18-2005, 11:51 PM
you can power it using whatever you want, and methinks they decided to use a cordless drill battery (btw what gave you that idea? is it the right voltage?). But this is probably a good thing to take note of, as it should apply even if you are using the pwm power hookup (though I am sure I have hooked mine up backwards a few times so I dunno why ours is ok....? I actually managed to make ours track a target today. It was a great moment.) Im sorry to hear about your camera though.
If you look at the PWM hook up, you will see that ground is the outside pin, hence, I would guess that if you failed to heed the many boldface warnings, and hooked up the PWM in reverse, little would happen, as there is no closed circuit.

LBK Rules
01-19-2005, 01:06 AM
7.2v

That's how much power they take.

If you look on the RC, you see that the output from the PWMs are 7.2v

Our head programming mentor hooked it up to a varible powersupply connected to the correct pins, and it ran fine.

cbudrecki
01-19-2005, 01:15 PM
did anyone happen to get a picture of this spectacular event?

IMDWalrus
01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
You could try recreating it with your camera. ;)

If this isn't a reminder to make sure that your connections are always right, I don't know what would be. Thanks for reminding us of that - I know I'll make extra sure of it from now on...

Max Lobovsky
01-19-2005, 02:04 PM
The correct thread title should be "WARNING - New camera parts with magic smoke". See http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=106877#post106877

anna~marie
01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey...drills are my friends....well okay, so we had a few lying around....

Sorry, no, but I can recreate it. . .
Small cubical, to the right of the keyboard was the camera and its accessories. Power cords clip onto the battery and at that moment, right along side of that computer adapter cord, a very bright orange glow emits and smoke billows up. Many crackling sounds, the light goes out...and the room smells like magic smoke :)

roboticsjenkins
01-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Can Anyone post a picture or tell me how they mounted their servo motors to their camera box?

nparikh
01-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Well I can't tell you how they did it, but if you download this (http://www.ifirobotics.com/docs/cmucam2-documents-and-software1.zip) and then open the "start here" pdf, inside it has a sample configuration using serovs, and the works.

Redneck
01-26-2005, 07:26 PM
I wish I'd seen this about.... oh, 45 minutes ago.... we just fried our camera, too. Anyone have any solutions (other than the obvious one of ordering a whole new camera)?

nukem
01-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Our camera board fried today as well. We talked to innovation first to get an RMA. We can send it back and they can look at it, if they feel that its our fault then we have to pay for them to fix it/replace it. Since just the board shorted anyone know how much the board would cost alone? One of our mentors looked at it and said that he could probably fix it. The problem is that if he cannt fix it we need to RMA it and then we will definatly need to pay for a new one.

Jeff K.
01-27-2005, 02:41 AM
I dont know but I believe they're around 200 bucks. I was looking at this thread the other day about how the new update actually allows a robot to use more than 1 camera, but 2 at the most, and also how Dave would give anyone that could pull it off in autonomous mode 6 dozen donuts.

nukem
01-27-2005, 01:37 PM
But thats for the hole kit. What if we just want the part that shorted replaced? Our team dosnt have the funds to buy a new camera.

Joe Ross
01-27-2005, 03:45 PM
But thats for the hole kit. What if we just want the part that shorted replaced? Our team dosnt have the funds to buy a new camera.

The processing board is the most expensive part of the camera assembly. It's $179 from other sources, not sure what IFI would charge for just that.

What part specifically looks like it is bad?

nukem
01-27-2005, 07:28 PM
The processing board were everything hooks into... We just sent it in for them to look at it and maybe repair it. Hopefully they can repair it cheaply.

silliewillie
01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Our camera fried today, too. I'm not sure why. It was hooked up to the 7.2V power supply through a PWM...it was working fine at the beginning of the meeting and I was tracking colors with it and everything, but then later on when i turned it back on, a piece right next to the serial port got very bright orange and lots of "magic smoke" appeared. Any idea what might have gone wrong? We're a team with 0 veteran members...all rookies...so it's very likely that we did something stupid. I'm going to try to get another camera, but our team's finances are extremely stretched as it is.

I wish i knew what I did wrong so that I don't do it to the new camera that we get. Thank you.

silliewillie
02-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Our camera fried today, too. I'm not sure why. It was hooked up to the 7.2V power supply through a PWM...it was working fine at the beginning of the meeting and I was tracking colors with it and everything, but then later on when i turned it back on, a piece right next to the serial port got very bright orange and lots of "magic smoke" appeared. Any idea what might have gone wrong? We're a team with 0 veteran members...all rookies...so it's very likely that we did something stupid. I'm going to try to get another camera, but our team's finances are extremely stretched as it is.

I wish i knew what I did wrong so that I don't do it to the new camera that we get. Thank you.

nevermind...they're sending us a new one because it wasn't our fault. thanks anyway