PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for UTC New England Regional

Todd Derbyshire
03-27-2002, 07:32 PM
What is your team's predictions on the outcome of the New England Regional who do you think will raise to the top and who will be the darkhorse out of the field. Don't forget to stop by the pit on Thursday to say hi and don't forget to stop bye the pit Saturday at noon to discuss alliances!!:D

Joel J
03-27-2002, 08:09 PM
Who will win the competition?? Well, if an excellent 2 goal grabber teams up with a decent ball grabber, they will pretty much win.

PS. It isn't THAT easy to stop some ball getters from getting balls....(BTW: was the PS the first thing you looked at?)

SSwaszek
03-27-2002, 09:34 PM
In the finals at Rutgers we beat BUZZ in the semifinals simply becasue of the fact we had a fast and maneuverable. We blocked BUZZ from getting a lot of balls and we would stay between them when they tried to dump them.

Jeff Rodriguez
03-27-2002, 10:14 PM
i think there are 2 possiblities:
either 1 good goal bot that grabs 2 goals, and a good ball bot that can put 20+ balls in
or two really good goal bots, with tethers to their endzone.
if 2 robots can control 3 goals than you can't beat them

Andy A.
03-27-2002, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking the goal handler + ball handler allience is going to be a real force at utc.

I think that everyone has seen that the two, when they work together are near impossible to beat. It's all a matter of how well the two teams work together and plan. Just as predictied, at first teams kinda looked at us like: "huh? you can pick up balls? well, ok, can you move a goal to? We want to try to get all 3". Using a ball bot to grab goals is a waste if you ask me. By the end of Q rounds we had to do very little talking because teams knew how ball handlers and goal handlers worked together best.

Not to mention balls make the game so much more fun to watch.

My prediction: Not only are match points going to reguraly break 100, ball handlers are going to be very involved in the finals. The combo of speed and ball points make ball handlers very attractive to strong goal handlers these days.

What I can't wait to see is 2 combo alliences play a match. Then you involve the fight over the 3 goals, and the fight over the balls. Very exciting I think. I have yet to see it, I hope I do.

-Andy A.

Elgin Clock
03-28-2002, 11:30 AM
In NYC the finals had mostly robots just concentrated on getting two goals(or more) into the scoring zone, the only real ball machines were mostly blocking so that the goal grabbers can get to the zone with no problems from the other alliance.

As for predictions, well.....I don't want to even guess how it will turn out, there are a lot of powerhouse teams that go to UTC but personally for my team I want to see our expierimental Blind Driver system, codenamed I.D.A.N. (Intelligent Detection, Analysis and Navigation), in action in at least one round and be successfull!

Mark_lyons
03-28-2002, 12:26 PM
From what I've seen, the best alliance would be one real strong two goal grabber and two ball pickers. The two goal grabber would play in all matches with the ball pickers alternating. Problem is, I don't see too many quality ball pickers, so having two in one alliance may be tough. I would put us 157 (winners in Philly) with 173 (LI winners) with 230 and play anyone!

I would say that whatever alliance comes out of New England on top would be a force anywhere. The quality in this field is incredible.

jeremy562
03-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Just a quick plug for my team.. 562 has a great 2-Goal Grabber that should be pretty bulletproof. UTC New England is our first and only regional this year, so we haven't had a chance to prove ourselves, but don't be surprised if you see us in the finals! I can't wait, I'm really looking forward to see how we stack up against everyone else!

Mike
03-29-2002, 10:40 AM
I also agree with what you all have been saying. The alliance that is going to win the UTC regional will be the one that has a good ball grabber and a very strong goal grabber. The teams that are able to grab onto the goal are many. But the ones that are able to get the ball quickly and in high amount are few and far between (at least that is what i have seen at the Mid-Atlantic Regional).

I wish good luck to all the teams that will be with us at the UTC regional and i look foward to seeing how it turns out.

Remember always :)

JAlpert
03-29-2002, 01:10 PM
In my opinion, balls dont matter in the eliminations, unless a goal controlling team breaks. At GLR, the winning alliance had two ball bots and one goal bot. The ball bots never once picked up a ball. They did, however, do a great job integrating high-torque capabilities, enabling them to control a goal well. In short, balls dont matter in the eliminations. Imagine a red team with a 2-goal grabber and a ball bot, and a blue team with two ball bots. The only way to win in the eliminations with balls is to let the red 2-goal grabber sit alone with its goals in scoring position, and have blue try to fill up the third free goal with over 20 balls. In order to do this, blue would pretty much have to have the goal to themselves. However, the red ball bot would simply harass them. The one red ball bot could easily keep two other blue ball bots from putting many balls into the goal. Also, in order to win at the end, the two blue ball bots would have to abandon their (possibly) filled up goal to retreat to their endzone. Not only will the red 2-goal bot most likely block at least one team from getting back to their endzone, but the red alliance will have a free robot ALONE with the goal. All it would have to do is pull the goal into its own endzone, or into neuteral territory and the match is over. So, in the end, balls are a distraction in this competition. However, ball bots score high in qualifications and inevitably end up in eliminations. If those ball bots have some torque (like team 65 and 67), however, they can do a great job helping to control the third goal.

Best of luck with your strategizing!

Jeff Alpert
Team 469

This message is a product of the "How is Joe Johnson going to beat us" brainstorming session.

tritium
03-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Now, we participated in the Long Island Regional this year and I went up and watched it last year. I'd have to say, it just doesn't come close to compairing with the New England Regional. There are many heavy hitters attending and it will make for a very exciting competition.

I think the best combination during Qualifying would be an excellent two goal grabbing robot (like ours) along with a good ball scoring robot (one that can grab around 10 balls). During Elimination it's different. I'd still want good 2 goal grabbing robot (yes, like ours), but I'd want to alternate two robots whom are good at pushing goals and blocking. This is how we were paired up for in the LI Regional. I think we could have made it a little farther had our alliance partner's robot not overheated its motors in the closing seconds of the 3rd match of the quarterfinals (no hard feelings though!). We're looking to do well in New Haven.

Best of luck to everyone who attends!
Stop by and say hello in the pits. I'm an operator for Team 230 Gaelhawks.

Jestin McCarthy
03-29-2002, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JAlpert
[B]In my opinion, balls dont matter in the eliminations, unless a goal controlling team breaks. At GLR, the winning alliance had two ball bots and one goal bot. The ball bots never once picked up a ball. They did, however, do a great job integrating high-torque capabilities, enabling them to control a goal well. In short, balls dont matter in the eliminations. Imagine a red team with a 2-goal grabber and a ball bot, and a blue team with two ball bots. The only way to win in the eliminations with balls is to let the red 2-goal grabber sit alone with its goals in scoring position, and have blue try to fill up the third free goal with over 20 balls. In order to do this, blue would pretty much have to have the goal to themselves. However, the red ball bot would simply harass them. The one red ball bot could easily keep two other blue ball bots from putting many balls into the goal. Also, in order to win at the end, the two blue ball bots would have to abandon their (possibly) filled up goal to retreat to their endzone. Not only will the red 2-goal bot most likely block at least one team from getting back to their endzone, but the red alliance will have a free robot ALONE with the goal. All it would have to do is pull the goal into its own endzone, or into neuteral territory and the match is over. So, in the end, balls are a distraction in this competition. However, ball bots score high in qualifications and inevitably end up in eliminations. If those ball bots have some torque (like team 65 and 67), however, they can do a great job helping to control the third goal.

Best of luck with your strategizing!

Jeff Alpert
Team 469

I wouldn't be so sure that ball robots won't be a factor in the elimination rounds. Did anyone see 173 RAGE in Long Island? Now you tell me that ball robots aren't going to be a factor in the eliminations. I think you are digging your own grave if you think that balls won't be a factor. But I do agree that you will need a solid goal grabber to win it all. See you all there, and good luck.

Jestin McCarthy
Team 131

Kyle Fenton
03-29-2002, 07:21 PM
This is not a full list of teams but there seams like there is more ball handlers than 2 goal grabbers in UTC.

Ball Handlers

2-goal grabber

Other

Steve Prairie
03-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Jestin McCarthy
I wouldn't be so sure that ball robots won't be a factor in the elimination rounds. Did anyone see 173 RAGE in Long Island? Now you tell me that ball robots aren't going to be a factor in the eliminations. I think you are digging your own grave if you think that balls won't be a factor. But I do agree that you will need a solid goal grabber to win it all. See you all there, and good luck.

Jestin McCarthy
Team 131

Thanks Jestin for the compliment, you're right though. When a team can score 20 to 25 balls in under 30 seconds (and control the goal it scores into), it has a deep impact on who wins.

Heres an okay video of us winning because of balls in the SBPLI finals:
RAGE Video (http://doynk.host.sk/rage/Rage_Match1.MPG)

See you in New Haven,

Steve Prairie
Team 173

Kevin Ray
03-29-2002, 11:47 PM
TEAM 173 RULES !!!!

Team 329 had the fortunate/unfortunate luck to be in the round immediately behind 173 EVERY time at the Long Island regional. We never got to ally with or oppose them. We got knocked out of the top 8 in the last match, otherwise we would have picked 173. Even in the elimination rounds we didn't get to go against them. I have seen them in action in easy and tough matches. They are in the top ten in the country WITHOUT A DOUBT.

-They manhandle goals
-They have awesome speed
-They have great traction/power
-Maybe only my shop vac could get up balls quicker
-GREAT DRIVERS!!! --cool under pressure
-could do it themselves if they had to

if paired with an awesome goal grabber who is fast to the goal, I don't think they can be beat anywhere, YES, even the Nats.

My money is on you guys.

Can't wait to see you at EPCOT

Is 'ol one arm going to be back to full capacity by then?

foursixnine
03-30-2002, 12:42 AM
I'm gonna have to go with the best 2-goal bot there and a bot with the capability of defending/dragging the 3rd goal. This is all based on how regionals have ended in the past. Really the only way a 2-goal bot and single goal bot can be beat is by teaming up on the 2-goal bot, but even then though it's a throw up between the 2 teams because it could turn into a 4 bot tug-o-war (personal experience at Buckeye).

dtk
03-30-2002, 02:15 AM
It seems like that was the question at the beginning of the season, whether it was better to go for all three goals or one goal and stuff it full of balls. Now after 9/17 regionals have finished (3 more will finish up in a day) the answer is still unclear.

There's no doubt in my mind that in qualifying one goal and balls is definitly the way to go, but for the elimination rounds its not so clear. In a strategy where a team focuses on the third goal and filling it with balls it becomes much more diffacult to get quite so many balls in when the other teams robot is there fighting for that goal. The two regional events that my team has attended (GLR and OH) were won with the three goal strategy. This may bring into question the quality of ball-bots at these events. However i am of the opinion that some of the best 1 goal+ball robots were in attendance at these events.

http://www.soap108.com/2002/stats/eventlevel/index.cfm

As you can see these events were top three for number of balls scored on average. In addition to that at GLR team 47 (18.43) and 65 (17.14) attained 2 of the top averages for balls per match at an event. Which in some cases exceed the top team at a regional by 5+ balls per match. And I'm just going to add stats aside they are both VERY good at stuffing a goal.

So basically what im saying with all that is my biased goal dragging point of view still believes the final matches are going to come down to goal control.

-dtk

Jeff Rodriguez
03-30-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Kevin Ray
TEAM 173 RULES !!!!

Is 'ol one arm going to be back to full capacity by then?

OF COURSE!!
the cast will be off the weekend before Nats.
im lookin forward to seein yous guys.

Jeff Rodriguez
04-01-2002, 09:57 PM
Just to let ya know.
The doctor said today(4-1-02) it comes off 4-15 so by nats. it will have been off for a week+

Elgin Clock
04-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Balls definately do count!!! Twice in the final rounds we won by 1 point. Now since goals are not worth one point I wonder where those one points came from???? Hmmm....I wonder??????

Raul
04-02-2002, 12:37 PM
A note to all strong 2 goal bots:

You better plan on having a ball bot when you go against Beatty. Otherwise, they will eat you alive. They will not lose a pushing match to anyone.

I watched 469 play at Buckeye and GLR and I was very impressed. Then I watched Beatty at MWR. Beatty would dominate 469 in a pushing match. Ball bots will be the difference!

Todd Derbyshire
04-02-2002, 01:13 PM
So does anyone want to start throwing around team numbers...
I'm going to guess myself an alliance between
(157, 95, and 88)
From what I know of these two teams they would be the perfect alliance partners for us and we would be able to compliment them nicely. Wouldn't mind working with spike again either (Good job in NJ guys remember to pick us again in CT so we can have some revenge) Any other ideas?

JAlpert
04-02-2002, 04:40 PM
Team 469 agrees that we cannot stop Beatty if both teams grab goals. The shear of the file cards on Beatty's walking bar is probably greater than the pushing power of 469. We have not given up, however. We are not stupid either.

There is a 25% chance that 469 and 71 will be in the same division at nationals. The chances are just about 0 that the two teams will be on the same alliance. So, if 469 and 71 are ever on the same field at nationals, they will have opposing light covers. I hope it happens.

We greatly respect Team 71 and all they have done for FIRST. They have a robot that could very well be unstoppable this year. It would be an honor to face beatty in a national elimination match.

Jeff Alpert
Team 469

Raul
04-02-2002, 07:06 PM
JAlpert,

469 has a great chance against Beatty. But not because you can get two goals, but because you are very fast. The key is to quickly get one of the outside goals and fill it with 10 more balls than they can, then score it and get your robots to your endzone.
Watch some of the movies of MMR on SOAP and you will see what I mean.

We never got to play with or against you at GLR - hope we get a chance at Nats. Good luck to you guys at Nats

Ricky Q.
04-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Raul
JAlpert,
The key is to quickly get one of the outside goals and fill it with 10 more balls than they can, then score it and get your robots to your endzone.
Watch some of the movies of MMR on SOAP and you will see what I mean.

Raul is right, that is the way to beat Beatty, if you can get to an outside goal before they latch on, push it back out of the way and just load it with balls, you have a chance. You definetley need a ball bot against Beatty.

Jeff Rodriguez
04-02-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Todd Derbyshire
So does anyone want to start throwing around team numbers...
I'm going to guess myself an alliance between
(157, 95, and 88)
From what I know of these two teams they would be the perfect alliance partners for us and we would be able to compliment them nicely. Wouldn't mind working with spike again either (Good job in NJ guys remember to pick us again in CT so we can have some revenge) Any other ideas?

I got 2 teams for ya.
173 RAGE , and 237 TRIBE
we would do very good together.
for the third, though, im not sure, i would like a robot very similar to 237, or 173, to keep the same strategy

Todd Derbyshire
04-03-2002, 05:02 PM
12 hours left before I leave can't wait to the competition starts

fast frank
04-04-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Kyle Fenton
This is not a full list of teams but there seams like there is more ball handlers than 2 goal grabbers in UTC.

Ball Handlers

2-goal grabber

Other

271 is also a 2-grabber as well. we can garrentee 10 balls and we can hold 2 goals easily with our 4 motor drive system and goal locking chassis.

oh yea, we're leaving in about 2 hours to go up to new haven, i better try to get some sleep now!

jasoni
04-05-2002, 12:56 PM
Team 95 is the best ball grabber I have ever seen.

For anyone who hasn't seen 95 in action, they pick up an entire line of 20 balls in one shot at full speed, totalling about 5 seconds.

My hat goes off to 95.

Mark_lyons
04-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Seems like teams are on to them though. In the last match their opponent 195 scattered all the balls on them before they could get there, making it much more time consuming for them to gather the balls.

Mike Norton
04-05-2002, 04:20 PM
It looks like team 157 is kicking everybodys butt. it doen't matter how fast you get the balls it is how the game is play that is given the most points and team 157 has the game plan for the seeding rounds.

Vocational school all the way!!!!!!

Marc P.
04-05-2002, 08:59 PM
38 may prove a powerful ally in elimination matches. Ball pickup speed means crap if goals can be moved around like it's nobody's business. We'v proved ourselves strong against a lot of people, and can easily protect and hold on to 2 goals.

Just my 2 cents.

Not to mention we look sexy ^_^

Steve Prairie
04-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Ball pickup speed means crap if goals can be moved around like it's nobody's business.
Last Minute Prediction:

Balls will win the UTC Regional

I've seen many teams that can consistantly control ONE goal while scoring 20-30 balls in it. If two of those work together, 35 balls in ONE goal beats any goal-bot alliance.

...just calling it like i see it.

Steve Prairie
RAGE 173

soap108
04-05-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Kyle Fenton
...but there seams like there is more ball handlers than 2 goal grabbers in UTC.

Just from the scores, you can kinda tell that.

Almost every match I saw on the stream was loser had 30+ points. Can't wait to get the raw data and crunch a few stats!

Any 3-goal teams?

KA-108 :cool:

Gui Cavalcanti
04-06-2002, 10:03 AM
::nervous cough, followed by a meek hand being raised::

We're a one-goal-grabber robot.

Our partners were each one-goal-grabbing robots.

Only one of them could mess with balls successfully, and that was with the spinning wheel of doom that lobs balls into goals.

Where robots lack power, strategy can really make up for it.

We won at VCU.

It's kind of depressing, because I keep hearing only two goal grabbers and supreme ball handlers will ever be successful, while everyone else is what? Chopped liver waiting on the side of the field?

If dealt with correctly, ball handlers can be blocked from receiving any balls. 422 consistently ran defense against them at VCU, depending on which side of the field they wanted, because we have a fast, powerful enough robot. We have a broad backside to our robot, so we ended up pushing virtually every ball on a side (that an opposing ball bot was going for) into our home zone within the first 15 seconds of a match, while our partner (643, the ball handler) would take the other side of balls, loading them and scattering the ones they didn't get back into our home zone.

If a ball handler was foolish enough to collect balls from our home zone, or even better, take a goal to collect balls from our home zone, the obvious strategy would be to blockade them in so that they can't get past zone 3 back into their scoring zones. This might prove to be a bit tougher with high-power teams, but any robot can be pinned if you get them at the right angle.

That's my rant for right now... just don't ignore the little one-goal-grabbers and think of them as nothing. If they're built ruggedly and made to take a beating or two, they can easily succeed.

Marc P.
04-06-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Steve Prairie

Last Minute Prediction:

I've seen many teams that can consistantly control ONE goal while scoring 20-30 balls in it. If two of those work together, 35 balls in ONE goal beats any goal-bot alliance.

Steve Prairie
RAGE 173

Yes, but we have proven we can pull any ball handler around, so yes, you can have your 35 points in balls, but we can easily drag the goal full of balls, with the ball handler robot attatched to it, into our goal zone.

just 2 more cents

soap108
04-06-2002, 12:23 PM
What was the score of match QF1M1? Who played in it?

Red (157+230) scored ___________

Blue (? + ?) scored ______________

Thanks
KA-108

soap108
04-06-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Marc P.

Yes, but we have proven we can pull any ball handler around, so yes, you can have your 35 points in balls, but we can easily drag the goal full of balls, with the ball handler robot attatched to it, into our goal zone.

just 2 more cents

Can Alliance of 121 be stopped? Looks like 121 can steal a goal at will. Looks like a job for 108 or 71 ;)

not to mention they do 20 balls in 12 seconds. Wow they justed scored 70-10. Is that the first 70ptr of the tourny? Probably won't be the last.....

KA-108

Manoel
04-06-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by soap108

Wow they justed scored 70-10. Is that the first 70ptr of the tourny? Probably won't be the last.....

KA-108

No, we lost a match 71-0 at Seattle. Pretty odd strategy, considering it was the qualifying rounds... :confused:

soap108
04-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Steve Prairie

Last Minute Prediction:

Steve Prairie
RAGE 173

Didn't take long for you guys to wise up after that 52-10 mistake in qf3m1.

173 & co. vs. 121 & co. in the Finals???? Maybe.

KA-108

soap108
04-06-2002, 01:17 PM

173 & co. vs. 121 & co. in the Finals???? Maybe.

1/2 right so far 121 & Co. moves on.

Your turn 173.

KA-108

srawls
04-06-2002, 01:27 PM
Wow! 121 sure handled those balls well. After one dump I was impressed, after that second dump I was amazed. The finals will certainly be interesting with 1 goal + balls maybe becoming more important than 2 goals.

Stephen

soap108
04-06-2002, 01:39 PM

1/2 right so far 121 & Co. moves on.

Your turn 173.

KA-108

100% right.

now i'm saying 173+88 should pull this off.
thye've got to much field experience these last couple of matches.

Best Wishes to both...let's make it go to fm3!!!

173 should play 195 in m1 and m3. They win.

We'll see.

KA-108

soap108
04-06-2002, 01:49 PM
UTC Elims - FM1

121&103 {37:1:1:17} L
173&195 {38:0,2,18} W

KA-108

soap108
04-06-2002, 01:56 PM
It's going to 3!!!

UTC Elims - FM2

121&69 {57:2,1,27} W
173&88 {34:0,2,14} L

Exciting isn't it?

soap108
04-06-2002, 02:05 PM
Oh, well. 121 takes it all. Great job 69. Your alliance secured two goals before they did and you win. Plus great defense.
You deserve it.

UTC Elims - FM3

121&69 {46:0:2:26} W
173&195 {0:0,0,0} L

That was fun. Maybe put everyone from UTC they're own division at EPCOT? ;)

And now for the awards www.soap108.com/2002/events/ct/awards.cfm

Jeff Rodriguez
04-06-2002, 06:59 PM
thanks for the play by play but the real thing was more exiting

Ricksta
04-07-2002, 12:42 PM
108 knows what they are talking about. They saw how well we performed and complimented us rightfully. Thanks for not jumping on the 173 bandwagon (no offense to the bandwagon riders:p hehe)

Joel J
04-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Ricksta121
108 knows what they are talking about. They saw how well we performed and complimented us rightfully. Thanks for not jumping on the 173 bandwagon (no offense to the bandwagon riders:p hehe) First of all congrats to you guys for taking it home, but we lost that last match for a few reasons. We started off by missing our first shot at the line of balls, then we didn't cool down and concentrate on latching onto the goal, allowing team 69 the chance to put forth an amazing defense...and our biggest mistake: we went for speed and maneuverability (2 skyway wheels, 2 polycarb. wheels) instead of the power that we didn't think we would have needed (4 skyway wheels). All in all we are neither dissapointed, nor angry; after all, this has been our best year so far. I wish to personally thank 69 for the award they gave us, it is the only thing that cheered Ikhan (driver in the elims) up after that last match. A special salute goes out to team 157, who became unstoppable after we shared our little secret with them at SBPLI..we told you guys you should've picked us..:) j/k.

Joel J
04-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mike Norton
It looks like team 157 is kicking everybodys butt. it doen't matter how fast you get the balls it is how the game is play that is given the most points and team 157 has the game plan for the seeding rounds.

Vocational school all the way!!!!!! Yea, you're right. We were 2 seconds short of beating them and in the process getting a new high score (159), but oh well..we did good.

SharkBite
04-07-2002, 06:28 PM
I just want to post this pat on the back to the operators of our alliance (69,103,121)....... the driving in the elims by you was unbelievable..... theres a certain point where everyone has such great robots that it all comes down to the driving, and you guys really proved yourselves

Jason Haaga
04-07-2002, 06:53 PM
108 knows what they are talking about. They saw how well we performed and complimented us rightfully. Thanks for not jumping on the 173 bandwagon (no offense to the bandwagon riders:p hehe)

Actually, no offense 121 and 103, but I give credit to HYPER for your wins in the finals. They just kept getting in the way and were too fast for us to get around. If you'd like to prove your point, after season's end we can arrange a little get together to give you a lil one on one taste of what you'd get from us ;) :D . Major kudos to you guys though, was well played.

Anyways, actually kind of glad we lost a little. Dispelled that really creepy "RAGE is invincible" myth that was going around that was just a little hard to live up to. We learned a couple valuable lessons and already have a few mods planned for Nats. The best part of competition is that even when you lose, you learn how to win.

Back to the practice facility...

Ricksta
04-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Jason Haaga

Actually, no offense 121 and 103, but I give credit to HYPER for your wins in the finals.

well maybe you guys lost because you dont have the talent in the drivers department like we did. or maybe its because 88 and 195 had no power and if you did as much scouting as we did you would know they werent that good. they were at the bottom of our list. maybe you guys lost because its so easy to prevent you from dumping balls. maybe you lost because you were fast but not powerful enough to stop the 121 powerhouse. maybe you lost because we dragged you around without mercy. maybe you lost because your strategy wasn't that great. maybe you were over confident in winning. and why would you be glad you lost. notice how only the losers say that. want to know the truth read this post again without reading the maybe's. next time you post think it out first ok. 121 will be a force to be reckoned with in nationals. we plan on picking another great alliance and plowing through the competition as we did in UTC.

SharkBite
04-07-2002, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry you are so bitter 173, I would expect you to be proud of how far you got instead

And I'm not sure why you would go so far to give full credit to one team in the alliance just for thier defensive playing (we love you for that 69, your driving was incredible)

Especially since 121 participated in every single match in the eliminations....... if we were that bad wouldn't we have lost when 69 was switched out for the other alliance partner?

by the way sorry if we sound a little upset, but what else can you expect after posting what you did...... and we accept your challenge

Joel J
04-07-2002, 08:21 PM

well maybe you guys lost because you dont have the talent in the drivers department like we did. or maybe its because 88 and 195 had no power and if you did as much scouting as we did you would know they werent that good. they were at the bottom of our list. maybe you guys lost because its so easy to prevent you from dumping balls. maybe you lost because you were fast but not powerful enough to stop the 121 powerhouse. maybe you lost because we dragged you around without mercy. maybe you lost because your strategy wasn't that great. maybe you were over confident in winning. and why would you be glad you lost. notice how only the losers say that. want to know the truth read this post again without reading the maybe's. next time you post think it out first ok. 121 will be a force to be reckoned with in nationals. we plan on picking another great alliance and plowing through the competition as we did in UTC. LOL.I'm sorry you are so bitter 173, I would expect you to be proud of how far you got instead
And I'm not sure why you would go so far to give full credit to one team in the alliance just for thier defensive playing (we love you for that 69, your driving was incredible)
Especially since 121 participated in every single match in the eliminations....... if we were that bad wouldn't we have lost when 69 was switched out for the other alliance partner?
by the way sorry if we sound a little upset, but what else can you expect after posting what you did...... and we accept your challengeYou both should take a quick look at my post.

Jeez..

SharkBite
04-07-2002, 08:23 PM
i did and judged it as a lash out

Brian Savitt
04-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Wow, now everyone breath in......now breath out......Calm down whats done is done. Congrats to everyone who competed at UTC it was a great regional.

Brian

Jason Haaga
04-07-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by SharkBite
I'm sorry you are so bitter 173, I would expect you to be proud of how far you got instead

by the way sorry if we sound a little upset, but what else can you expect after posting what you did...... and we accept your challenge

First, you did lose when 69 wasn't in. And in response to your comments about a lash out, what do you think your team mate's posts look like? To be frank, even his original post was offensive and the second is just uncalled for. The reason I give HYPER credit is because whatever you may think about your robot, ours and 195's combined force would've tugged you across the field if we had had a chance to get into postition to do so, thus I give major credit to 69's driving. Notice how I did not say you did not have a good robot; I merely said HYPER did the lion's share in those final matches.

And why I'm glad we did lose some:
1) We know what quick modifications to make to the bot.
2) We know a strategy that'll be used against us in the future and now have plenty of time to work out every way around it.
3) Teams won't be as much out for blood against us as they were at UTC.
4) It boggles dumb people's minds when a loser is okay with it.

And by the way, a wink usually symbolizes sarcasm or joking around, merely poking fun as opposed to being bitter. I apologize if it appeared that way (as it must not have greatly, seeing as how I received a few messages saying no offense taken by members of those teams). Glad you accept, should be fun. There is one condition: Ricksta should take his medication before attending.

Todd Derbyshire
04-07-2002, 09:40 PM
First of I would like to thank RAGE for picking us in our alliances and hopefully look forward working with you again.

Second to Ricksta who are you and do you have any concept of the game. Wait your on 121 so you would remember what we did with you in the Q rounds so lets get of your high horse and not play the game of denial. Seriously, your not the best team in New England and your lucky that you made it to the Elim's.

Third the theory of 121 being evincible and going against Beatty(insert scoff here) not going to happen. This is the way 121 operates and how you BEAT them I know since we did in the Q rounds and I came up with this strategy. 121 sends their partner out to send a goal into the goal zone and then tells there partner to mess with the opposing alliance partner who controls the goals. Ok so I said to our alliance partner(sorry guys I forgot) you go get the guys we will play with 121. So we played with 121 and prevented them from scoring 10 plus balls. Oh yeah they didn't win the pulling contest with us either so you might want to check the whole power issue because in my book the top three respectively at UTC in the power department were 157, 88, and 173.

Fourth don't think 121 won the regional because they dominated it was because in the second match we 173 and 88 messed up the strategy. when we told 173 we were going after 121 they said no we will meet you with a load of balls in the endzone. That gave Hyper the opportunity needed to disrupt and the speed they had a trained chimp could have blocked. Oh yeah simple to point out if we (88) released the goal and went after 121 we would be wearing gold and not silver around our necks.

For all the teams at the Regional besides 121 I would like to greatly thankful for your competition and hopeful see you either in Florida or one of the off-season comps.

Team 121- I admired you guys in the comp but when you come on CD and bash some one is when I lost my respect for you. Lastly stating a point that we had no power and 195 have no power blows my mind that you are either a) arrogant or b) in denial. Remember the Q match we had and remember my warning because the next time we meet its not going to be pretty and you better bring all that supposed power because I must have missed it in the qualification match we had.

sorry this isn't a rant but when people bash my team I feel that the truth needs to be said

Pat Bogard
04-07-2002, 09:57 PM
I've been reading this thread for the last few hours and have watched this thread develop. I think whats been said is enough..whats happening is team bashing and soon someone is gonna regret what they said. They finals were a great match between 2 strong alliances, it just happened one came out on top and the other didn't. Both sides can sit here all night and bash eachother but is that really what this is about...no its not. So before anything worse is said lets just stop and leave it on the field. Gracious professionalism isnt just for the field, its for here to, and right now in this thread there is none. Both sides played their hearts out and what is happening here is tainting the experience that was shared by 60+ teams this weekend

Pat
Operator and President
Team 103 Cybersonics

Ricksta
04-07-2002, 10:04 PM
i took 173's comments as a lashing out at us. i apoligize for all the trouble i started. i dont want to make any enemies with any team. i was mearly defending my team on what i thought was a hostile remark. I was out of line and will no longer say anything even close to what i posted. 173 and company did a great job. both our alliances had to be great to get through to the championship rounds of UTC the largest and most experienced regional ever. again i sincerly apoligize for what i said. i will be taking my medication in the future and evaluationg what I post in the future. Again no hard feelings we will see you guys in nationals and next year at utc. (just dont set our pit on fire :p)

i remember watching practice and saying "uh-oh they are going to be hard to beat" my teamates can vouch for that. i was suprised how well you guys handled balls and a goal and how you didn't fall over ever even though it seemed like you might. great robot and i just hope it doesn't get any better because then it will be unstoppable.

Joel J
04-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Pat Bogard
I've been reading this thread for the last few hours and have watched this thread develop. I think whats been said is enough..whats happening is team bashing and soon someone is gonna regret what they said. They finals were a great match between 2 strong alliances, it just happened one came out on top and the other didn't. Both sides can sit here all night and bash eachother but is that really what this is about...no its not. So before anything worse is said lets just stop and leave it on the field. Gracious professionalism isnt just for the field, its for here to, and right now in this thread there is none. Both sides played their hearts out and what is happening here is tainting the experience that was shared by 60+ teams this weekend

Pat
Operator and President
Team 103 Cybersonics I'm gonna agree with you, as it was never my intention to bash any other team...as stated in my original post "..we are neither dissapointed, nor angry; after all, this has been our best year so far." It seems as though this whole thing got started based on a really bad interpretation of my post, or really bad sarcasm on ricksta's part. In either case I wish for this to be over with; as brian said "whats done is done."

STonn
04-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Congratulations to all of the teams in the UTC finals - our partners 69 and 103, and the regional finalists with 88, 173, and 195. When a championship goes to three matches, it's always exciting and of course extremely competitive. I left that day feeling that this regional final had been one of the most amazing in terms of quality of competition and teamwork. Again, congratulations to ALL teams who participated at UTC - you were incredible. Let's keep this a positive experience!

As for repairs, we have a few of our own
:) We drove in the last two matches of the finals with gaping holes in the thresher which I'm glad still worked. We lost a roller and actually drove the last match with it barely in place so my fingers were crossed. So I'm sure you'll see us working in the pits on practice day in Florida!

~Synthia Tonn
Driver, Team 121

SharkBite
04-07-2002, 11:18 PM
in response to 88's post....

hey man, nobodys doing any bashing anymore except for you...... and 173 thanks for clarifying what you mean, and we do realize that there was a bit of an overreaction to your comment, my apologies for that

there really shouldnt be any blood like this out here and if you really do have a great robot it shouldnt matter if you won, people will notice, same thing if you dont have a good robot and you win, people will once again, notice....
also let me clarify a few things..... im not going to argue with you about the details of things.... but im not sure where you get off saying we have no pushing power, we do have 4 wheel drive...... and we did pull two goals and one of your alliance robots across the field
also the drivers are under a lot of pressure and its easy to make mistakes in strategy, everybody does
we happened to be lucky to have some really great drivers, i agree that 69s drivers were awesome, and we also had some great communication
we happened to need this win to help us get funding to go to florida, unfortunately we dont have a financial sponsor like many other teams and we cant afford to do everything that we want to

by the way did you get that side panel back on?

also im sorry that you have lost respect for us..... you did say that you ranted in your teams defense, i think thats exactly what we did and we already apologized for it... if we all apologize maybe we can all forgive each other.... a lot of us are pretty tired still and maybe not thinking as clearly as we should be

by the way, one girl on your team was pretty rude to us about the seats, im not going to get into that, i dont really care, but im just saying a lot of times a team member can make the whole team look bad, nobody is perfect, and first competitions are passionate times

SharkBite
04-07-2002, 11:25 PM
also i have no idea what the theory about beatty and us is.... none of us have heard it

and its really rough telling someone that they arent the best team, especially if they won..... we know that we may not be the best, but trust me it was not just luck that got as us far as we did

and im sorry my teammate seemingly bashed your team.... you really werent high on our list though, and that doesnt mean you dont have a good robot, we just valued the qualities of our alliances much more...... and we worked REALLY hard on scouting

Jeff Rodriguez
04-07-2002, 11:37 PM
Oh man, funny stuff.
Anyway, i think you guys had the second best ball bot there, only behind 95, and you know what they are. i love how you use the basket thing as a backboard for the human players. I'm callin for a rematch in Nats., but as long as there is no bad blood. i think if we played each other again, same teams and all, it would come out tied. We have some new strategy and im sure you guys do to. Congratulations <-- is that spelled right, i was never good at that

SharkBite
04-07-2002, 11:40 PM
173, come by our pits in fl and we'll give you some gummi sharks to prove there no bad blood

and what rick said about us being threatened by your bot was true, it really is refined

95 is awesome too, nobody else can pick up balls like them

Mack
04-07-2002, 11:48 PM
Hey Everyone....

I just want to say great job to ALL the teams at UTC. No matter who won, every team performed fantastically and deserves to be commended. I know that our bot didnt leave unscathed, proof that the opposition was fierce. As far as this argument goes... why dosnt everyone just forget who pushed harder and grabbed better, and concentrate on doing their best to ready themselves for nationals. I know we will be....

Great job to all the finalists again, and special thanks to 69 and 103.

D@ve
04-07-2002, 11:59 PM
i've been doing this for 7 long years and have been waiting for some good rivalry ,,and trash talking ...but reamember its all in good fun ....

Great job to all the finalists and a special thanks to 69 and 103:D

soap108
04-08-2002, 06:00 AM
108 knows what they are talking about.

Remember that at EPCOT should we be in same division. ;)

Joe Menassa
04-08-2002, 08:51 AM
D@ve is right- this is all in good fun. I especially had a lot of fun in CT and I can't wait to do it all over again in FL. Myself and team 121 learned so much from competing at UTC and I know this is the same for all other teams. The experience was awsome and it taught us a lot for FL.

no woriries guys, no worries

Todd Derbyshire
04-08-2002, 09:15 AM
Ok I apologize for my comments for I saw Ricksta comments as an attack on my team and for all purposes 121 you didn't drag us in any of the matches. We will see in Florida what happens either in our division or on Einstein for the whole thing! Don't worry we don't take your whole criticizing our robot as bad because we were high on a bunch of other picking teams. So you in Florida no worries no worries remember

SharkBite
04-08-2002, 10:27 AM
I never said we actually pushed your robot..... just your alliance teams...... and I'm not saying this out of the blue, merely to defend your statement that we have no pushing power

i am rather confused about the basis of that statement.....im sure we dont have the best pushing power, but its more than decent, 4 wheel drive usually is..... especially when its used to drag a robot sideways and 2 goals across the feild, we did do that in the elims

we are proud of our robot, and its success..... and we know that theres always a lot of luck involved in the competitions..... on a different day in a different place with a different order and a different alliance, something else might have happened, but we dont know do we?

anyway, come by our pits in florida and we can exchange a hug or something.... and just to prove theres no hard feelings we will make sure you get a gummi shark

Becky

Greg Perkins
04-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Who saw our team 151 get flipped up on its back? i thought that that should have been the best play right there. but i guess you voters thought that 166 did a better job righting us, but it was certianly exiting to see.

Badjokeguy

Kyle Fenton
04-08-2002, 02:16 PM
Congratulations to all of the UTC teams. All of you were awesome. Lots of 100's. I want to especially thank team 103 and 69. You were both awesome and played really good.

173 and 88, you took some of our comments way too seriously. Its a game, you got second, you should be proud of yourselves.

Florida is on the horizon, I'm sure that we will all get which division we will be in a couple of days or so.

Andy Grady
04-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Hi all,
After taking a day or two to recover from what I thought was one of the best sets of elimination matches in the history of FIRST, I was absolutely shocked to come on here and see everyone bad mouthing and bashing other teams. If I remember correctly, these boards are not meant for bragging or bashing. Fact of the matter is, if you go out and you start talking up your robot, or talking down another robot, you are gonna be a target, and you will be lucky to even make it to the elimination rounds (I've seen it happen).

Be careful what you say on here, it can really reflect how other teams see you.

In closing, I just want to say great job to all the teams at the NE Regional, if the competition is any indicator of whats gonna happen in the nationals, the northeast is going to be well represented. I wish I could be there to witness it.

Have fun,
Andy Grady

p.s. How bout that New Haven Colliseum!!!!! Finally the NE Regional didn't strain my eyes!!!

Jgreenwd1
04-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Hey todd that alliance that you sugested could come ture in one of the off season competitions. like our off season mopetition on may 18 here in lebanon NH. for more information go here (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3390)

Team238-aholic
04-09-2002, 05:23 PM
I feel totally bad that Team 238 wasn't even in that very first list of robots...they are a good team....I feel bad for them, cause this year no one feels like cheering them on....and the only people that cheer are the drivers, and well...they are driving...so they can't cheer in the stands....everyone is really being poopy....

I wish i was still on the team to cheer people on!! Go Team 238, I love you guys...GOOD LUCK AT NATIONALS....

Marc P.
04-09-2002, 09:45 PM
Not to throw a wrench into the workings of inter-team interaction, but an interesting what if...

In team 38's quarterfinal 3 match, we were 1 and 1 against the 173 alliance, and had a fighting chance of taking the 3rd match, had team 96's robot not blown it's breaker. With about 30 seconds left on the clock, both 96 and 38's robots were powering the goals cross field into our goal zone when 96 died. The result: 2 robots against one dramatically overpowering and taking the goals back to their zone. The question: how would all this discussion be affected had 38 beaten 173 in that final match?

I seem to like pitching in 2 cents, but like interesting discussion as well.

P.S. Props to 716, Housatonic, I was right on the sideline in their semi-final matches against 173, they really knew what they were doing, until 173's ball pickup smashed their tether thing, and exploded their signal light. :cool: great job guys, on both sides, it was definitely one of the best matches i've ever seen in FIRST.