PDA

View Full Version : # of Batteries at regional

HPA_Robotics_13
01-31-2005, 12:38 AM
I remember that a week or so ago there was some controversy over a statement from FIRST that seemed to imply that teams are only allowed to have a total of 2 batteries to use during the competition at the regional. This would mean that teams that have a robot that really sucks up power could not have 5 or 6 batteries going through a charging cycle in the pit.

There was some confusion as to the clarity of what FIRST had to say about this. I searched the Q and A system and could find no clarification.

What was the resolution to this matter?

sanddrag
01-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Do not hold me to this but I recall hearing that you may bring as many batteries as you like as long as they are the proper model. Also, you may use additional automatic chargers as long as the charging current is equivalent to the one provided.

Ricky Q.
01-31-2005, 12:41 AM
I remember that a week or so ago there was some controversy over a statement from FIRST that seemed to imply that teams are only allowed to have a total of 2 batteries to use during the competition at the regional. This would mean that teams that have a robot that really sucks up power could not have 5 or 6 batteries going through a charging cycle in the pit.

There was some confusion as to the clarity of what FIRST had to say about this. I searched the Q and A system and could find no clarification.

What was the resolution to this matter?The rule is (R46):

<R46> The only legal main source of electrical energy on the robot is one of the two 12v DC non-spillable lead acid batteries provided in the Kit of Parts, or a spare of the same part number. The 7.2v "backup" battery is considered an integral part of the Robot Controller, and may not be used for any other purpose. The only 12V battery that may be used on your robot during competition (Friday and Saturday) is the Exide model ES18-12. (Additional ES18-12 batteries may be purchased through your local Exide supplier.) You may use other equivalent 12V batteries during Thursday practice rounds.

You can buy as many spares of the KOP battery as you want and bring them to the regional for use in competition. I'm sure FIRST won't hold you to only keeping 2 batteries at all times, that would be impossible.

russell
01-31-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm sure FIRST won't hold you to only keeping 2 batteries at all times, that would be impossible.
We did quite well with only two batteries last year. Our bot would last for like an hour and a half just sitting there running and being driven for 1-2 minute periods every five minutes or so (for programming). Of course we only had two wheel drive, and after that our battery would be totally dead. In competition we were able to keep all (by which I mean both) of our batteries pretty near fully charged the whole time.

Ricky Q.
01-31-2005, 01:21 AM
It might be ok for the qual rounds. But in the eliminations, especially this year with all robots having to play possibly 9 matches in a row in the finals, more than 2 batteries will be needed to stay on top of things.

pakrat
01-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Especially if it becomes an uneven match, like a 2v3 because one robot breaks (which i think will happen)

Lisa Rodriguez
01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
As far as i remember, you can only use the 2 competitions batteries you are given. FIRST might be lenient in the qualification rounds, and to a degree in eliminations. I remember when we haven been in eliminations in past year, we have run around to other teams had weren't picked/had been eliminated to ask if they had batteries they weren't using that they were willing to lend out. As for batteries overall, i think FIRST is willing to be lenient, just don't go overboard.

Denman
01-31-2005, 09:48 AM
also, i'm sure that if you get through the qualifiers, there will almost certainly be teams who will be willing to lend you a hand with a battery if you desperately need one, as 99.9999% of the FIRSTers are really nice :P

Ken Leung
01-31-2005, 01:04 PM
After checking up the rules and Q&A, I found out that you are in fact not limited to the 2 batteries shipped with the kit of parts this year:

<R46> The only legal main source of electrical energy on the robot is one of the two 12v DC non-spillable lead acid batteries provided in the Kit of Parts, or a spare of the same part number. The 7.2v “backup” battery is considered an integral part of the Robot Controller, and may not be used for any other purpose. The only 12V battery that may be used on your robot during competition (Friday and Saturday) is the Exide model ES18-12. (Additional ES18-12 batteries may be purchased through your local Exide supplier.) You may use other equivalent 12V batteries during Thursday practice rounds.

(Ricky already quoted this rule)

and a clarification from the Q&A:

ID: 1137 Section: 6.3.4 Status: Answered Date Answered: 1/13/2005
Q: Please be exact. Are teams allowed to purchase additional batteries as the rules say and use these identical batteries during competition or are teams required to "ONLY USE SHIPPED THE KIT battery? Recharge time and cycle life is limited.

A: You may purchase identical batteries and use them.

Mark McLeod
01-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Also Update#3 applies

CLARIFICATION on: Exide Battery

The battery in the 2005 Kit of Parts is the Exide EX18-12. The Exide ES18-12 is the same battery and is competition legal.
You can bring as many legal batteries as you wish to an event, however, you may only have one battery on your robot while competing.

pakrat
01-31-2005, 02:29 PM
I wonder what people would do to get another battery on their robot legal??

dlavery
01-31-2005, 02:47 PM
So can I put an extra battery on my robot if it is not electrically connected to anything, and I am just using it as ballast?

The batteries make really nice counter-weights, and help pull us up to the limit when we are severely underweight. I don't want to have to bust out the 27 pound brick of lead and put it on the robot like we had to a few years ago.

-dave

Billfred
01-31-2005, 04:01 PM
So can I put an extra battery on my robot if it is not electrically connected to anything, and I am just using it as ballast?

The batteries make really nice counter-weights, and help pull us up to the limit when we are severely underweight. I don't want to have to bust out the 27 pound brick of lead and put it on the robot like we had to a few years ago.

-dave Dave, Dave, Dave...

...you may only have one battery on your robot while competing. Words mean what words mean, after all. :D

(runs)

Mike Hendricks
02-01-2005, 12:26 AM
We used 4 batteries last year, with 2 chargers. Somehow, one disappeared .. and we're down to 5 batteries this year (since we got 2 in the kit), and 3 chargers. All the chargers and batteries have their own Anderson connector, which makes it idiot proof to use.

Batteries are rotated and usually 2 are fully charged (and sitting on the bottom of our cart) at any given time. Last year in the Curie Final rounds in ATL .. there was this team that had a cart with probally 25 batteries and like 10 chargers. I wish I had my camera with me at the time .. it was something to see.

MisterX
02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Now I understand that we can use spare batteries of the same type on top of the 2 from the KOP, but the manual states they must be in "original packaging". We've lost that on our spares so does that mean they cant go in the crate or that we just need to grab another box of the same size and have it properly labeleed, or do we have to get them to the competition by other means or what? :confused:

"What if we like painted it tye-dye or drew all over it or something of the sort? That would make it original, right?" - Unnamed student
"I don't think so, Tim." - Engineer listening in on converstaion.

^just a funny quote relating to the topic for a laugh :yikes:

CJO
02-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Now I understand that we can use spare batteries of the same type on top of the 2 from the KOP, but the manual states they must be in "original packaging". We've lost that on our spares so does that mean they cant go in the crate or that we just need to grab another box of the same size and have it properly labeleed, or do we have to get them to the competition by other means or what? :confused:

"What if we like painted it tye-dye or drew all over it or something of the sort? That would make it original, right?" - Unnamed student
"I don't think so, Tim." - Engineer listening in on converstaion.

^just a funny quote relating to the topic for a laugh :yikes:
I am pretty sure that someone asked about boxes on the Q&A and that they said to make an appropriatly sized box and label clearly.