PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely Different... What is love???

Robby O
07-15-2001, 08:34 PM
Baby dont hurt me, dont hurt me, no more...

Okay, besides a really cheezy song that plays over, and over, and over, and over, and, well, you get the point in "Night at the Roxbury", what do you FIRST-A-Holics believe love is? As far as I've read, I dont think there was anything like this on CD yet. We know pretty much what the rest of the world (and hollywood) thinks love is, but what about us propeller heads?

Is it meeting someone who can be as geeked out as you, and yet still be cool enough to look up to? Or is it meeting a complete and total stranger once a year only to cheer for each other's teams? Or what about meeting someone completely unlike you whom you can still relate to? There is no right or wrong answer, so let the thoughts and ideas fly! Oh, just keep it clean folks, this is a family site :p

Carolyn Duncan
07-15-2001, 09:10 PM
Wow! I get to be the first person to respond to this, I'll try not to get too mushy. The idea of love can be soooo different depending on who you ask. Most guys have simmilar answers as do most girls. There's a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. You love a family member or friend but you are in love with your significant other. I have found love to be something that hits you when you least expect it. It's not something you go looking for nor do you realize it's coming until it hits you. It's knowing everything about a person and seeing in them what no one else sees. I don't think it's the same for any 2 people. For me I've only really been in love with one person. He was someone I knew for 10 years before I realized that I in love with him. I had always thought of him as my best friend.
C~ya,
Carolyn :rolleyes:
Now that I think about it why do you ask? Are you trying to figure out if you're in love?

Joel J
07-16-2001, 01:01 AM
TO conform with simplicity: Love is one of those things...

Andrew Dahl
07-16-2001, 07:59 AM
its what ever it needs to be for you-

the one thing that is definable only by your wants and desires

dahl
team497

EddieMcD
07-16-2001, 02:56 PM
Love (n) -

1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal ~ for a child>

(2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers

(3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <~ for his old schoolmates>

b : an assurance of love <give her my ~>

2 : warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <~ of the sea>

3 a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration <baseball was his first ~>

b (1) : a beloved person : DARLING -- often used as a term of endearment

(2) British -- used as an informal term of address

4 a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as

(1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind

(2) : brotherly concern for others

b : a person's adoration of God

5 : a god or personification of love

6 : an amorous episode : LOVE AFFAIR

7 : the sexual embrace : COPULATION

8 : a score of zero (as in tennis)

9 capitalized, Christian Science : GOD

In other words, The High priest has no clue. :(

Christina
07-16-2001, 04:15 PM
Actually, no, my prince already came. :) Love is something different for everyone. For me, I found love accidentally. I met Michael during a Thanksgiving food drive almost 5 years ago. And it was love at first sight (yeah, I know a bunch of you probably don't believe that exists). Being in love is being able to love someone for who they are. Someone who will help you through hard times and then celebrate the good times with you as well. And it worked out that I'm in love with my best friend as well. I love the person who knows me best. And the romantic in me likes to believe, love counquers all. I love you, Michael! :D

~Christina šoš

EddieMcD
07-16-2001, 06:58 PM
Oh sure, make the rest of us feel bad.

Eh, no biggie. A friend once told The High Priest the right girl will come. So The High Priest is in no hurry.

Carolyn Duncan
07-16-2001, 08:39 PM
Don't sit back and do nothing. You might miss something. It's like knowing pert of the future then screwing up wat shoulda been. Get it? BTW Ed, know that we know you have no idea what love is we know you can read and transfer things well. LOL
C~ya,
Carolyn

Christina
07-16-2001, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by EddieMcD
Oh sure, make the rest of us feel bad.

I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad! :( And Carolyn is right, don't just sit back and do nothing. You have to go out and meet people. I just happened to meet the love of my life at the age of 14. :) I got mine done early.

~Christina šoš

Carolyn Duncan
07-16-2001, 10:59 PM
Do you mean to say that you are a narcissist? Or are you saying that you don't think anyone will feel this way about you? Love grows when and where you least expect it.
C~ya,
Carolyn
P.S.~Ed get off the computer and out of the house. Meet people! It'll be fun.

EddieMcD
07-17-2001, 12:12 PM
The High Priest does that every year at nats. Other than that, he tends to stick to himself. That's just the way The High Priest is. Besides, what's wrong with waiting for the right person?

Carolyn Duncan
07-17-2001, 12:51 PM
There's nothing wrong with waiting for the right person but how are you going to meet the right person if you sit inside all the time? You won't realize it was the right person until it's too late. Do you think the right person is going to kick your door down to meet you?
C~ya,
Carolyn

EddieMcD
07-17-2001, 01:15 PM
Well, you gotta count natural events like going to school. You meet people there as well.

Besides, most of the girls I know like me as a friend. And The High Priest actually finds it easier to make friends with girls. So...

Pamela
07-17-2001, 09:53 PM
Love is having that one person in your life that you know you can count on to make everything all right. That you can call anytime of the day or night and one word from their mouth will make you feel all these emotions inside of you. Love is finding that someone who whether they hate you at the time or not they still will stop and listen to your problems and try to make everything in your life alright agian. Love is an emotion that can help you overcome any obstacle in your life. It will pull you through the dark times and keep you head in check during the good times. Love is caring so much about someone that their pain can easily be felt by you. You can tell what they are thinking and feeling with only a glance. Love is everything that makes the world good, and should be cherished and protected with all your might.

Carolyn Duncan
07-17-2001, 09:59 PM
That sounds god to me Pamela (as if it mattered what I think). Ed, school doesn't really count, well it's lame. Most people in high school are immature when it comes to stuff like that so you get make-up break-up shtuff. Most people are different outside of school anyway. Most of my friends are guys so I know that you have to go out and meet different people in order to find that right one. I feel like Dr. Laura. :eek:

EddieMcD
07-18-2001, 10:20 AM
The High Priest still says FIRST related events are enough, but while we're on the subject, any other ideas?

Carolyn Duncan
07-18-2001, 01:57 PM
Well, I don't know much about RI but when I used to live in Virginia we used to have this place called The Jewish Mother. It was for kids under 21 to go and dance, usually was full of high school kids. We also had pool tables and air hockey at the bowling alleys, these were very popular places to hang out. Try something along those lines, maybe a coffe shop, it really depends on your preferences. Or, when school starts go to sporting events.

EddieMcD
07-18-2001, 03:49 PM
The High Priest already goes to all the sporting events.

Carolyn Duncan
07-19-2001, 09:51 PM
Yes but when you go do you talk to people other tan the few around you or do you make a point of talking to many people. Also, do you jump around cheering for your team. At my high school games here was always the group who came drunk and did nothing but yell. They were always fun to be around when you're sober because you can laugh at them and they think you're laughing with them.

EddieMcD
07-20-2001, 09:59 AM
Well, The High Priest is in the band. Yes he does jump up and down cheering (football fan). But usually, he talks to the people around him. Ironicly, The High Priest plays the flute, and is surrounded by girls. Just none that he can relate to well.

Nate Smith
07-21-2001, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Carolyn Duncan
I have found love to be something that hits you when you least expect it. It's not something you go looking for nor do you realize it's coming until it hits you. It's knowing everything about a person and seeing in them what no one else sees

I couldn't agree more...

A. Leese
07-21-2001, 01:22 AM
I know I'm going to have someone yell at me for this, but here goes the Bible's version of what love is. I agree with it with all my heart. I'm lucky to have found someone who loves me and who I can love back. That's more than I could ever ask for.
*smiles and suddenly feels strange for getting mussy on CD*

~Angela who feels very loved right now :)

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand it's own way. Love is not irritable and it keeps no record of wrongs. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices in the truth. Love never gives up, never loses faiht, is always hopeful and endures through every circumstance.

Jessica Boucher
07-21-2001, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by littlefish180
Love never gives up, never loses faiht, is always hopeful and endures through every circumstance.

Well, that seriously was cute, but Im going to be a pain right now....what's "faiht"?

You know who I feel like right now? Rose in the comic "Rose is Rose" with her grammatical whistle that she blows real loud when she sees a mistake ;)

EddieMcD
07-21-2001, 11:19 AM
*tries not to look confused as hell*

Christina
07-21-2001, 12:59 PM
As long as we're quoting the Bible, one of my favorite quotes from the Bible about love is:

"In the end there are three things that last: faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love."

Hehe.

~Christina šoš

EddieMcD
07-21-2001, 02:51 PM
Well if you can't find it in the first place, how can it last?

Carolyn Duncan
07-21-2001, 07:12 PM
The ability to love is always there, you just have to find the person who brings it out of you. Give it time and don't stress over it, the more you worry about it and struggle with it hte worse you could make things. You get tired of waiting for that special someone and settle, only to find out that this person is not who you thought and someone always gets hurt.

EddieMcD
07-22-2001, 09:11 AM
Lucky for me, one of Dean's science experiments made me immortal. Uh, did I say that? Nevermind.

So what your saying is I should wait for the right person, but not stick to myself and do nothing?

Carolyn Duncan
07-22-2001, 09:50 PM
So what your saying is I should wait for the right person, but not stick to myself and do nothing?
Sorta, yeah. Get out there and hangout with people. That doesn't mean that you have to be exclusive, meaning a couple. I have always been friends with people for a long time before I dated them.
You do realize taht this is just my humble opinion and none of it really matters, right?

EddieMcD
07-23-2001, 10:16 AM
Everybody's opinion matters. Besides, I'm actually learning something during the summer. ;)

Uh, anyone else with some helpful comments?

Jessica Boucher
07-23-2001, 11:21 AM
...don't think about it too much. Find something you like to do, and immerse yourself in it while promoting it. You'll be helping yourself in hunderds of different ways. Thats all, I guess (course, Im not one for good advice, but take it as you will, I just felt like posting).

mike o'leary
07-23-2001, 02:39 PM
ive figured out that its something where, if youre looking for it and completely have that quest at youre main focus, you wont find it. then when you stop looking you will. or something like that.

Christina
07-23-2001, 04:31 PM

Sorta, yeah. Get out there and hangout with people. That doesn't mean that you have to be exclusive, meaning a couple. I have always been friends with people for a long time before I dated them.
You do realize taht this is just my humble opinion and none of it really matters, right?

Yeah, being social is a very good thing. I have dated guys a couple of days after I met them, and those usually didn't work out very well. Although, Michael is an exception. But Michael and I broke up and went out quite a few times, but the first time was 2 days after I met him. But, out of any of the other substantial (um, that would be 2 that lasted over a month), I was friends with first. That's always a good way to go. Michael and I were best friends for almost 3 years before we started dating this time, and it's almost 2 years we've been together. :D And the best thing about being friends first, is that if you guys do break up, you can usually stay friends with that person. But that's just my 2 cents.

~Christina šoš

Christina
07-23-2001, 05:17 PM
Okay, I got this email about what love is, and I thought I would share it...

A group of professionals posed the question "What does love
mean?" to a group of 4 - 8 year-olds and the answers they got werebroader and deeper than anyone could have imagined. See what you think:

"Love is that first feeling you feel before all the bad stuff
gets in the way."

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over
and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love."

"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You know that your name is safe in their mouth."

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."

"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your french fries without making them give you any of theirs."

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired."

"Love is when my Mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK."

"Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of
kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more. My
Mommy and daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss."

"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen."

"When you tell someone something bad about yourself and you're scared they won't love you anymore. But then you get surprised because not only do they still love you, they love you even more."

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it
everyday."

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still
friends even after they know each other so well."

"During my piano recital, I was on a stage and scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore."

"My Mommy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night."

"Love is when Mommy gives daddy the best piece of chicken."

"Love is when Mommy sees daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford."

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day."

"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones."

"I let my big sister pick on me because my Mom says she only picks on me because she loves me. So I pick on my baby sister because I love her."

"Love cards like Valentine's cards say stuff on them that we'd like to say ourselves, but we wouldn't be caught dead saying."

"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you."

"Love is when Mommy sees daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross."

"You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget!"

Hehe...I thought it was cute, and suited the threat. :D

~Christina šoš

Pamela
07-23-2001, 09:06 PM
That was so adorable, I'm so retyping it pretty then hanging it on my wall ! :)

Flair
07-23-2001, 09:35 PM
I thought love was that one little comic in the paper? You know the one that always starts with "Love is..." and has something different everyday.

Carolyn Duncan
07-23-2001, 10:16 PM
I don't think I'm familliar with this one.

Flair
07-23-2001, 10:30 PM
it's prolly just in the local paper, Carolyn, sorry bout that. If I had a couple copies, I would post what they say.
HEY Brandon, do you have some old local papers around your house?

EddieMcD
07-24-2001, 01:28 PM
Yeah, being social is a very good thing.

I'm just not big on social events. Usually the most popular event in my area is a monthly dance, and I hate dances. Other than that, there really isn't much else.

Thank you FIRST, for making me partially social. :cool:

Carolyn Duncan
07-24-2001, 06:51 PM
Go to a bowling alley or pool hall. At least you can laugh at all the people who can't walk straight. THere has to be somewhere that people hang out in your area. Geez, in Williamsburg the kids got so boared that they would hang out at a shopping center in front of Wynn- Dixie. I've never been anywhere as boring as Williamsburg so you guys have to have something.

Pamela
07-24-2001, 09:16 PM
Their should be a love advice forum from now on titled: Ask Carolyn :) , All us socially deprived FIRST people could probably use it ;) , hehhee

A. Leese
07-24-2001, 10:18 PM
I've never been anywhere as boring as Williamsburg so you guys have to have something.

Come to Stuart..you'll see what boring is.. *Hands Carolyn Florida map with Stuart highlighted*

~Angela who's lived in Stuart her whole life

Flair
07-25-2001, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Flair
If I had a couple copies, I would post what they say.

Heres one from Tuesday's paper, it says...

Love is...
(picture of two people under an umbrela with roses and hearts falling down around them)
...raining happiness

Stuff like that

Brandon Martus
08-02-2001, 12:52 PM
thread spaned an off topic discussion

it was split ... find it here (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469)

Asianguy4u
08-03-2001, 04:26 PM
"LOVE IS LIKE HEAVEN, BUT IT HURTS LIKE HELL"

Carolyn Duncan
08-03-2001, 04:28 PM
This is the perfect place for David to insert his line...

mike o'leary
08-03-2001, 05:43 PM
which one?

EddieMcD
08-03-2001, 06:19 PM
Anything that will help me. :D

mike o'leary
08-03-2001, 06:25 PM
i have a feeling it wont help you...im guessing its either the split of kill button (which i think is sorta weak, the kill one)

EddieMcD
08-03-2001, 06:36 PM
Eh?

Carolyn Duncan
08-03-2001, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Asianguy4u
"LOVE IS LIKE HEAVEN, BUT IT HURTS LIKE HELL"
Let me help you guys out. Amen brutha! That really summs up Asianguy4u's post.
*wonders Asian guy for me?*
hehehe j/k. ;)

David Kelly
08-03-2001, 09:07 PM
This is the perfect place for David to insert his line...

you mean, amen brutha?

Carolyn Duncan
08-03-2001, 09:48 PM
Yup David, that's the one.

David Kelly
08-03-2001, 09:52 PM
whoops, i didn't see you posted it right before me.

Asianguy4u
08-04-2001, 10:54 AM
Love has no boundaries. When you find it, take it, embrace it and cherish it...

Carolyn Duncan
08-04-2001, 11:52 PM
That's so deep and sweet... Absolutely lovely. :o

EddieMcD
08-06-2001, 10:05 AM
Eddie's feeling loveless again...

Carolyn Duncan
08-06-2001, 09:54 PM
Poor Eddie, one day you'll find your princess. And she'll be a princes, to you.

EddieMcD
08-07-2001, 12:42 PM
Gee, thanks for the encouragement. I think.

Shannon Maloney
08-08-2001, 06:25 PM
No really, she's right, unless you were looking for a prince, you'll find a princess...or she'll find you :)

Carolyn Duncan
08-08-2001, 09:21 PM
Finally, someone else who gets it. Thanks Shannon.

EddieMcD
08-09-2001, 11:40 AM
I got it.

Carolyn Duncan
08-10-2001, 08:21 PM
Then you shouldda known it was encouragement. Don't worry so much Eddie. Everthing has a schedule and the timing is never off.

EddieMcD
08-11-2001, 11:02 AM
I knew it was encouragement, just not sure if it was positive or not.

Not that you'd ever give me negative encouragment.

Carolyn Duncan
08-11-2001, 12:08 PM
I knew it was encouragement, just not sure if it was positive or not.
Not that you'd ever give me negative encouragment.
Negative encouragment isnt really encouragment is it? I thought is was more discouragment. And of course I'd nver give you negative anything, not seriously anyway only as a joke.

EddieMcD
08-11-2001, 05:05 PM
My head hurts.

Ok, lets forget the encouragement discussion ever happened.

*presses button on time zapper*

Poor Eddie, one day you'll find your princess. And she'll be a princes, to you.

I know Carolyn. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

-Ed "Hopes that sounds right" McDonnell

Lng_02
08-11-2001, 10:06 PM
Ok, this is a long story but I'll try and make it quite short.

I joined robotics hearing from one of my friends that some people join it simply to meet people and start dating people from other teams. I just laughed at her and said "what a silly thing to do, I would never end up doing anything like that, I'm too shy." Well God has plans for people. Second competition I went to my junior year this one guy stood out to me from another team. I couldn't make myself talk to him, so i let it go. The very next competition I went to, he came over and started talking to me. Love at first sight? I believe it. We're still seeing each other almost a year after we've met and four months so far of actually going out. and we love each other more than anything. This is just saying that you can meet people no matter where you go or what you do. When you don't expect it is when it'll pop up. I never was one for the trying to go out and meet people. Everything is already planned. Things will happen when they're ment to. But until then, don't feel sorry for yourself, cause the time will come. Don't try and rush things.

Laurel Noel

Carolyn Duncan
08-11-2001, 10:37 PM
My head hurts.
Ok, lets forget the encouragement discussion ever happened.
*presses button on time zapper*
I know Carolyn. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
-Ed "Hopes that sounds right" McDonnell
Sounds good to me Eddie. Your welcom for the encouragement that's the easy part.

Robby O
08-12-2001, 12:00 AM
Well, I'm just putting my 2 cents in. After all, I started the thread B^P. Actually, I wanted to toss it up to see what others thought, as I seem to believe that I have a heart of glass. So here's my FIRST-love story:

---------------------------------------------------

The first year I went to nationals, My sophomore year, 1998, I was one of the most, if not THE most, enthusiastic students. Team 108 was doing great that year, with GEEKS, not a bunch of SSSS (Stick Swinging Stone Swatters) leading the team. We even were runners-up in the chairmans award, with the sponsoring of a LEGO competiton at middle schools (Before FLL, think FIRST took a hint :p ). We had some signs to try and get the audience to do the wave, and I kept at it. There were 3 girls from our sister team, Wildstang, who I eventually got to help. Little did I know that our core team was already friends with those 3 and that I would meet one of them a little latter down the line...

In 1999, I was a lucky guy. I got picked as "Team Spokesperson" for my hard work and dedication and was the 9th man, an extra to attend the Chicago Regional with my team. This year the SSSS started to take over, with people who bearly did any work getting to be driver and lead positions, merely because they were seniors. But I didnt care. I was the team spirit guy, there to get attention for my team, and attention I did get at the Motorola social held on the Wed before competitions. This is where all of the Motorola teams got together to meet at a local pizzaria.

A way that we got to meet others was that we were all given cards, and had to make a hand of poker with other peoples cards. Like the psycho that I am, I started running around screaming at the top of my lungs "Who's got a match!?!", until I bumped into a girl and proceeded to drag her with me, until we got two of her friends and we all sat down with a two-pair hand, not bad. As we started to chat, I really hit it off with the first girl I bumped into, Elvira, and I was being my usually goofy self, telling jokes and such, even "Surfing" on a chair titled backwards.

Towards the middle of the evening, Elvira recognized me as that guy that got her and her friends to help me get the crowd to do the wave, and she even had a photo to prove it. The next three days we constantly ran into and hung out with each other, and even cheered for each others teams. We looked forward to nationals, as we parted ways, friday night at the awards ceremony. We talked on the phone between then and nationals, which was only about a week away, but we were practically inseperable in that time. Well, as inseparable as a phone allows, anyways B^P.

And we were even so at Nationals, the only thing that kept us distant every now and again were teachers, and our matches. On the we stayed together during the wrap party, and hung out at the parks together on the sunday. When it came time to leave, I had walked her back to her hotel room, and as her friend left, we kissed goodbye, for the first time. When we finally let go of each others hand, I turned with tear filled eyes, and headed back to the buses for the ride home to Fort Lauderdale.

Robby O
08-12-2001, 12:01 AM
Over the year we kept in contact really well, with letters (mostly on her part) and phone calls and emails. It seemed like it would be forever before we would see each other again. But eternity became tomorrow, and I was picked again to go to the kickoff and the Chicago trip. But this year was radically different. People were on the team only for trips, and few people did any real work. The team was mostly SSSS now, and there was even a split of the team, caused by the differences in thought on how the team should have been run between myself and my best friend. With the replacement of the teachers and administration who worked on the robotics team before, team 108 took a swan dive into the asphalt this year. Many mistakes on the team were made, and I let it bring my spirit down.

I was practically just a mope-head by the time I got to chicago, and that was not how Elvira had first met and knew me. The only thing that I had as a glimmer of happiness was being able to relax with Elvira during the competition. She had been assigned to strategy, and had to keep track of different teams. And was afraid of being seen too close to me by her teachers for fear of not getting to go to Nationals. Nationals I was the same way. It took me until Friday night, at a pizza party held by Wildstang at the All Star Sports, to finally snap outta it. But when I did, I didnt stay close with Elvira and she was upset at my character change from Energy filled to Deeply Depressed.

But we both stayed together that Sunday, and got over everything just by being in each others presence for a day. Once again, we parted with a kiss that neither of us wanted to end, and tears in my eyes. These ones lasted until I was on the bus this time, for I knew I had wasted those few days I got to spend with her just moping about, and would have to wait another year for the that time again.

I never did reclaim that time, unfortunately. Over the following year, I had graduated and was heading to college locally. Elvira was a senior and had a lot on her plate. We chatted on the phone and on IM and email much less than the previous year. I was the one usually calling her, though she called every now and again. Time passed, and we discussed different things, including the difficulties of her being in Chicago and me in Florida. I started tossing up ideas about us dating around, and being very open with her and encouraging her to be open with me.

Then one phonecall, she brought up that we should just be friends. I was rather heart-broken, but what could I say, No? I never really did claim that we were boyfriend and girlfriend, so what could I do? I cried a bit then, acted as though everything were okay. It seemed like it was, because by the end of the phone call, things were really unclear as to what was between us. I just pretended that It never happened. But Then it was brought up again, only closer to kickoff time, in another phone call. More crying on my end, but once again I pretended like it never happened.

Robby O
08-12-2001, 12:05 AM
This year, since I was not sponsored by my school, I had to pay for the trips on my own. It was all that I asked for for my birthday and christmas. But my dad told me that It while it may be possible to go to Kickoff and Chicago, both are not garaunteed, so pick one. I chose Kickoff, thinking that I could get the money to go to Chicago by then. It never happend, and after I had promised Elvira I would be in Chicago for the regional, I had to tell her I couldnt go. It would be an even longer wait now.

As the days got closer and closer to Nationals, I kept trying to call her to make plans to meet up with her. But everytime I called she chatted with me for minutes at a time, then she would excuse herself and say goodbye. At Nationals, we constantly missed each other, and with me Volunteering with FIRST, I had less time to stop by and say hi to her. It was constantly me choosing to be with FIRST rather than her, and when we finally did cross paths, It was at the wrap party.

I had just parted ways with my dad, when I went to one of the dance halls, and noticed Elvira up in front of me, walking that way. I caught up with and surprised her, and we started to dance. But while we were dancing, a guy started coming towards her, and she told me that there was something she had to tell me: She had a boyfriend. She introduced to the guy who I thought to be her boyfriend and I just could not stay there any longer. I left, not knowing what else to do. Before I left, she had told me to call her that evening so we could talk things out. i never did.

The next morning, sunday, Instead of calling her and heading over to talk, I used my annual pass to Islands of Adventure. I was quite upset, and for awhile, riding the coasters made me feel better, but didnt change anything. About 4pm I decided to head over to her hotel and talk to her. I caught her just as she was leaving for Disney, and she asked me to come along. But I felt like a third wheel. Actually, I was a seventh. It was her and two friends and Marco and two friends.

Being upset put me in a rather sarcastic mode, and was getting laughs in a real Dennis Leary kinda way. It took me awhile, but I came to my senses, and realised I was acting childish. I finally called a stop to my actions, and was about to leave, until Elvira's friend saw right through me. She new I was acting, just to leave everything peaceful. She got Elvira and Myself alone together to talk, but there was nothing I could say. It was the evening now, and the past two years had been very much like a rollercoaster. The only thing I really wanted was for her to be happy. So I told her, truly and sincerely, "Have a good time with marco.". I left then, and drove home that night.

Robby O
08-12-2001, 12:07 AM
We didnt contact each other for about two weeks until I initiated an IM. My IMs werent coming out okay. They were just randomly spewed thoughts and quotes, so I stopped. Then picked up a pen and wrote her letters for almost 25 days straight. Letters on different thoughts I was having at the time, and what was happening in my life. I wrote a few more, spread out over several weeks, then I thought to myself "Y'know, I'm just wasting my time". I wrote her a letter that would evoke a response, giving me some kind of response from her, and I got one. She was back in love with an old boyfriend from highschool. She said she was happy. It hurt, but it was an aswer.

-------------------------------------------------------

Looking back, while I dont think it was a foolish relationship, it was a high-school one. I tried to communicate a lot with her, and was perhaps too open and may have scared her. I remember her not always being open with me, but sharing various things about the ongoings of her life. We had fun the time we were together, and I learned a lot about having a relationship with someone. Our conversations on the phone though were usually 50% FIRST, 90% if it was during or right before/after the season. It was a great experience while it lasted, and I am not sorry I met her at all.

Although we are no longer in contact, I probably could contact her if I wanted to, but frankly I dont because It hurt too much just to chat with her on IM, so I would probably totally freak out on the phone. Maybe after a long while. I'll be up in Chicago in about a year for Second City. I dont know though, if given the chance, I would want to get back together with her. I kinda see her as a different person now, as Im sure she see's me. But hey, that's what happens during high school, people change trying to find thier identity. I don’t thinkg it was either her or my fault, though there are points that can probably be brought up. The main one of course, was the distance between us. To be honest, I'm glad she's happy. And I'm glad I finally have an answer.

So there you have it folks, that's my FIRST love story, and I'm stickin to it. It's the whole reason I started this thread. Enjoy life and the periods love graces you in that time, folks. No one knows how long any kind of love between people will last, but when it's there, make the most of it, whether it's for a few days, or for a few years or decades, or until the day you die. I'd like to leave off with this quote from "8 days a week" -

"I finally know now that it is true. People's soul purpose in life is to make love. All that other stuff in life, dancing, drinking wine, playing the violin, are just ways to pass time before we can make love again"

Boy I hope I didnt ruin that quote too much. :p

EddieMcD
08-12-2001, 05:56 PM
You know, that actually makes a good movie plot.

Oh Carolyn! You got another person to console!

A. Leese
08-12-2001, 07:06 PM
You know, that actually makes a good movie plot.

Oh Carolyn! You got another person to console!

Carolyn's in the consoling buisness..since when?

BTW, Robby..interesting/sweet at times story..

~Angela

EddieMcD
08-13-2001, 03:35 PM
Read the quote.

Their should be a love advice forum from now on titled: Ask Carolyn , All us socially deprived FIRST people could probably use it , hehhee

Nuff said.

Carolyn Duncan
08-14-2001, 11:06 PM
You know Eddie, the first time I read that post I avoided it because I didn't know how to respond to it. I guess my response now is if you ask I'll answer. So if you would like me to throw anything out about stuff I will, I can't promise that it'll always be stuff you'll wana hear but that's the way life is. Robby, should you want me to give you any imput I will, I have plenty to say about stuff if people ask.

EddieMcD
08-15-2001, 02:57 PM
How do you feel about the Gary Condit issue?

No, just kidding. You don't have to answer that, although that is sadly on-topic.

Carolyn Duncan
08-15-2001, 10:33 PM
I thought the topic was love:confused: . He wasn't really in love if he was messing around behind his wife's back...
Just my opinion.

EddieMcD
08-16-2001, 03:32 PM
He was in love. Just not with his wife.

Carolyn Duncan
08-16-2001, 03:42 PM
But is that really love? I don't think so. If he was really in love he should also have respect and should not have been stringing along 2 women.

EddieMcD
08-16-2001, 03:54 PM
In his own sick mind: yes.

A. Leese
08-17-2001, 01:16 PM
In some strange attempt to get back on topic..Robbie, your story was very cute and seemed close to many stories I've heard of people meeting through FIRST. Sometimes it's lasted, but sometimes, as in your case, it didn't. I guess that's life and, in turn, a part of love.

~Angela