PDA

View Full Version : pic: 229 - 2005 Robot

JVN
02-27-2005, 10:02 PM
[cdm-description=photo]20505[/cdm-description]

Adrienne E.
02-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Can we get an Encore? (http://www.team229.org/video/single/26)

Alex Cormier
02-27-2005, 10:05 PM
cool looking bot. got a better pic fo the whole robot?

Kims Robot
02-27-2005, 10:09 PM
yeah, what exactly does it *do*? other than drive around of course... :)

or is that a secret?? :)

BoyWithCape195
02-27-2005, 10:17 PM
you can watch the video !!

http://www.team229.org/video/single/26

That is a SICK BOT!

Arefin Bari
02-27-2005, 11:09 PM
... That is ONE SWEET ROBOT!!!! :ahh:

as always team 229 came up with another BEAST...

Chassis reminds me of Wildstang's 2003 chassis. (it looks like it).

6 wheels drive with 4" wheels... hm.. inspired by team 254...

arm made out of pvc which works well ... inspired by team 71...

2 speed gearbox.. inspired by team 45...

::this is what happens when you have JVN as your mentor :p ::

looks like team 229 took few designs and put it together for their 2005 season. Great work done by team 229... cant wait to see that beast competiting... :)

RogerR
02-27-2005, 11:14 PM
beautiful 'bot...are going to be in Atlanta?
Question:
what's with the flash of the thunder-chicken logo about 3/4 of the way through?
is it some sort of subliminal message aimed at Paul Copioli?

sanddrag
02-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Question:
is it some sort of subliminal message aimed at Paul Copioli?I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they are using a CCT?

RogerR
02-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they are using a CCT?
well, i spotted a cylinder sticking out below a pair of CIMs during a freeze frame...
would i be correct in assuming that 229 is again running a 2-speed 2-motor shift on the fly drive train?

Karthik
02-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Adrienne and Co.,

*applause*

Great video. I've been saying this for years, but all FIRST is missing is a little a bit of Jay-Z. I mean, Who you know fresher than Hov', riddle me that?

If this robot really is an encore of 2004, we should all beware of 229. The drive train looks graceful, yet mean. I've come to expect that from John. The extra wide crossbar on the tetra lance will pay huge dividends.

I can't wait to see it this weekend.

P.S. You edited out the part where I run around without my shirt? If you had left that in, you would have had an Oscar. Tsk, Tsk. :)

Ryan Dognaux
02-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Great video and a great robot for sure. Can't wait to see you guys at Nationals... hopefully your pit will be right next to ours again.

JVN
02-27-2005, 11:57 PM
well, i spotted a cylinder sticking out below a pair of CIMs during a freeze frame...
would i be correct in assuming that 229 is again running a 2-speed 2-motor shift on the fly drive train?Yes, this is true.
We previously admitted using this (http://www.team229.org/resources/19/)design.

JVN
02-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Great video and a great robot for sure. Can't wait to see you guys at Nationals... hopefully your pit will be right next to ours again.
Ryan,
Unfortunately, we are not currently signed up for nationals.
We may have a few members there, who will be definitely cheering on the Red, White, and Cyber-Blue!

See you at Boilermaker,
John

Adrienne E.
02-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Karthik-
I'm glad you approve of the music selection. It has been our "theme song" all season. John just kept repeating it during most of our late night work sessions :) We are looking forward to this weekend as well! I can't imagine anything better then competing/working with my old team (and my sister) in my home town!

Atman
02-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Awesome Robot, Great song. You have created a monster. One of the big things i think in this years game is reliability. Yall are solid. thanks for throwing that great clip in the video, definitely my finest moment as a driver. Looking forward to seeing you guys at nats again.

Swan217
02-28-2005, 08:04 AM
beautiful 'bot...are going to be in Atlanta?
Question:
Pardon the pun, it looks like an "Easter Egg."

Matt Adams
02-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm really impressed with this machine and it's manipulator. The geometry is so well optimized. The tricky part about this game is trying to reduce stages in a lift and get sufficient height. The clever combination of a single stage lift and a 4 bar linkage gives an amazing 'simplicity : height' ratio.

Nothing short of impressive.

Matt

Waynep
02-28-2005, 01:54 PM
John,
Awesome robot and great video. Once again you've left other teams wanting JVN as a mentor or leaving other mentors wanting to be JVN. The TC logo flash was great btw I appreciated that. Jimmy is going to do coverage with the spec for us again, and I hear your dad is coming out for NYC again. Any chance you'll come out too? Anyway, I hope you do wind up taking 229 to Nats and I'll see you then. Good luck at comps.
-wayne

Wayne Doenges
02-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Great looking robot and a good video.
I have one question. The skirts on the side of your bot, do they go all the way to the floor? If so, won't your bot get hung up on or move the loading station triangles?

Wayne Doenges
Lemmings non sumus

JVN
02-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Jimmy is going to do coverage with the spec for us again, and I hear your dad is coming out for NYC again. Any chance you'll come out too? Wayne,
I'll be in Cleveland that weekend, competing with 229.
I have yet to make it down for the NYC regional, despite much pressure to do so. Hopefully next year.

I'll be at nationals, even if the team isn't. Dad and I are actually teaching one of the Championship conferences together -- Advanced Drivetrain Calculations & Modeling. Nationals is always a blast, wouldn't miss it.

Once again you've left other teams wanting JVN as a mentor or leaving other mentors wanting to be JVN.
Actually -- we've got many great mentors on this team. All of whom contributed to this robot & this great season. This robot is a team effort, and I'm proud to say I worked with so many great individuals to make it happen.

Kudos to our lovely team leader -- Adrienne Emerson.
She certainly proved to be a much more capable team leader than I ever was. ;) I "blame" this season and robot on her.

Good Luck to 395,
John

JVN
02-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Great looking robot and a good video.
I have one question. The skirts on the side of your bot, do they go all the way to the floor? If so, won't your bot get hung up on or move the loading station triangles?

Wayne Doenges
Lemmings non sumus
Other Wayne,
(2 Waynes right in a row, wow!)
The skirts ride along the floor. We had extensive practice time, and we never really saw any problems. The front of the robot has no skirt, and the shape of the side skirts is designed to facilitate approach to loading stations, as well as passage over goal pipes (in case we want to drive halfway into a goal.) As long as we lead with the front of the robot, we won't have any problems.

John

JVN
02-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Question:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?action=single&picid=10195

You caught us.
217 and 229 collaborated on a mechanism tower design, suiting both teams needs. Bots are similar, not identical.

John