PDA

View Full Version : What's the most innovative/different design you've seen?

JamesCH95
03-12-2005, 12:50 PM
What team has the most different or innovative design you have ever seen? Most powerful arm? Coolest drive train? I'm interested to see what's out there.

Jeffmudhs
03-12-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm biased, but: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36079

JohnnyB
03-12-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm biased, but: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36079

Wow thats awesome.

My vote goes to Killer Bees... looks likea very unique storage system and I cant wait to see how well its implemented.

Also team 1260's bot, Caution... 2 wheel drive?

Added: 229's shuttle/four bar is one of the most effective designs ive seen yet :D :D

Alex Cormier
03-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Wow thats awesome.

My vote goes to Killer Bees... looks likea very unique storage system and I cant wait to see how well its implemented.

Also team 1260's bot, Caution... 2 wheel drive?

Added: 229's shuttle/four bar is one of the most effective designs ive seen yet :D :D
is there any pictures of 33's killer bot?

JohnnyB
03-12-2005, 02:11 PM
is there any pictures of 33's killer bot?

Top Secret (http://www.ndprep.org/robotics/images/P2220024.JPG) ;) ;)

JVN
03-13-2005, 10:39 PM
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=353673#post353673

Absolutely incredible.

-JV

Allison K
03-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Most innovative Drain Train - 357 Royal Assault - Those Mecanum (sp?) Wheels are sweet. They were out pit neighbors so I had plenty of time to observe.

Best Tetra Grabber - 188 Blizzard - That's one nifty tetra grabber they have. They can pick up two (maybe three) at a time and still drop only one.

Best Autonomous and best overall strategy/robot design - 365 MOE - They could cap the center goal in the home row AND knock off a hanging tetra all in the 15 seconds. And I thought their coach was really cool too.

(This one is a bit (a lot) biased)
Highest Robot with low CG - 226 Hammerheads - We have no troubles with the center goal, and can extend over 12 feets total. Even if we were to start to tip over, our chassis is so low to the groud that it's like a built in wheelie bar.

Donut
03-13-2005, 11:20 PM
At our Regional, lowest Ground Clearance was 980, 1/8" or less. Plus their arm could rotate a full 360 and had a revolving grabber at the end that could swing sideways into and out of tetras.

Most interesting strategic design was 842, they were all pushing, couldn't even pick up a tetra, but they had pushing power beyond all imagining and had brake panels they could lock onto their wheels. Finished ranked #3 seed despite their inability to score.

Another biased opinion, but our arm is a bit weird, it uses a pulley, a screw drive, and a pneumatic piston to reach a maximum height of 15-16 feet. The best part is we can hang a tetra on our arm from that height and still stay on our back 4 wheels (we have a 6-wheel rocking design).

Ian Curtis
03-14-2005, 06:45 AM
190 has the coolest drivetrain ever! It can drive in any direction by just pushing the joystick. It's kind of hard to explain so I'll see if I can find a picture somewheres.

Cory
03-14-2005, 09:31 AM
190 has the coolest drivetrain ever! It can drive in any direction by just pushing the joystick. It's kind of hard to explain so I'll see if I can find a picture somewheres.

It's the same in concept as the picture posted earlier of 357's drive.

Validius
03-15-2005, 09:19 AM
I am also bias but i think that 1549's desigh is the most innofative simply by applying the effectiveness of our bot devided by the complexity. Our lift is a nested ladder and out gripper is a custom cut aluminum piece. Thats it. Stock drive train.

ben281
03-15-2005, 02:34 PM
hey everyone! this is ben from team 281 in greenville SC. we just won the daluth, GA regional with a really cool robot! check this out. we went with a 6 wheeled design with 4 small wheels and two big ones in the middle (the axels are higher so everything is level). it turns on a dime, and with a slanted base made from aluminum angle, we are incredibly light, and had no trouble with weight this year. even so, we never lost a pushing match! also, we have this really cool arm that extends at the beginning of every match and stays that way. its hard to explain, but at the beginning the robot expands to a 11 foot high, right triangle. this allows us to cap with incredible accuracy. to go up and down the mast, we use a system that uses acorn nuts to physically grab the mast and go up (avoiding belts or chains). it works amazingly! check out the upcoming pictures and movies at www.entech281.com good luck to everyone!
Ben

tkwetzel
03-15-2005, 02:58 PM
I have to agree with JVN that 173 has the best arm that I have seen so far. And I am waiting for a current team 116 member to post inforamtion/pictures about their drivetrain past the simple teasers that Dave posted. Hopefully they will post some pictures after Annapolis this weekend, along with some information on how well it worked.

JackN
03-17-2005, 09:43 PM
I think that a cool design is the MAK team's lateral moving robot

Beth Sweet
03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Wow, I am in absolute shock that no one has mentioned HOT's machine. Maybe I'm biased, but that thing just dominated at GLR. The arm (forklift style) was no doubt the best in the competition, I felt that they employed some of the best strategy and the drivers were fantastic under pressure. Go 67!

rangersteve
03-17-2005, 10:10 PM
My vote goes to 1024 the killa-bytes

They can effectively use the automated loading zone. The gripper holds sturdy and releases with no problem. they stack 5-6 tetras a match on 5-6 different goals.
They also have a sleek looking robot.

Conor Ryan
03-17-2005, 10:19 PM
most innovative feature i've seen all day has to go to 224.

they have 2 casters on a pneumatic cylinder, so that during a match, if they want to they can switch from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive.

I must say its a pretty neat alternative to a 2 or more speed gear box.

as for the 1 joystick driving, 1367 also did it. its pretty neat to watch, but i still like the 2 joystick system.

sanddrag
03-17-2005, 10:22 PM
most innovative feature i've seen all day has to go to 224.

they have 2 casters on a pneumatic cylinder, so that during a match, if they want to they can switch from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive.

I must say its a pretty neat alternative to a 2 or more speed gear box.I don't see how that is at all comparable to a shifting transmission.

Anyway, I don't know about innovative or creative but for "just plain crazy" I'd cast a vote for our HexaMax R2 six motor two speed drive system. :)
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35266
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35272

I can't wait to see it perform.

Kyle Love
03-17-2005, 10:23 PM
My vote goes for team 868. They basically have two arms...one holds tetras and sets them on a goal and the other can pick up tetras off the ground and/or hold the tetras on the other arm on. Great design...I think they should do pretty well.

Conor Ryan
03-17-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't see how that is at all comparable to a shifting transmission.

it's definetly something you need to see in person, very unique and difficult to explain

JackN
03-18-2005, 08:47 PM
I saw 469 at the Detroit regional. They have the best arm i have seen yet. They can cap three at a time and it can go in any direction.

Eric Yahrmatter
03-18-2005, 08:50 PM

Sorry, it doesn't do that anymore. We have a pitchfork instead.

Alex357
03-19-2005, 07:50 PM
The best tetra grabber that i've seen would have to be team 188.

It's a little biased, but team 357's drive train.
So far it hasn't been explained too well, so here ya go...

The drive train is a mecanum wheel hybrid completely manufactured by our team. The rollers are configured on 45 degree angles on our custom hubs. In order for the wheels to achieve their designed motion, each roller's bearings are actually molded into their urethane rubber material. The angles make an "X" pattern.

\\\ ///

/// \\\

Forward motion is achieved by driving all four wheels forward, the same concept applies for backward. Though there is a specific way to do it with these wheels, spinning can also be done in the traditional tank steering manner.

The translational movements are achieved on a screw principle. Diagonal wheels move in the same direction while the other diagonals move in the opposite. For example, the front right and back left move forward, while the others move backward. The roller configuration causes the robot to "slide" left and right.

These wheels can also achieve omni-directional movement: for example, spinning about its own axis while driving in an arc.

The mecanum wheel's rollers prevent the robot from being pushed freely like traditional onmi-wheels.

Videos and other info can be found here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36079

sforsancho
03-19-2005, 08:34 PM
The mecanum wheel's rollers prevent the robot from being pushed freely like traditional onmi-wheels.

Would you like to back that statement up? I think of the many teams that have done a traditional omni-wheel setup, my team included, can contest that it does not move freely, if implemented correctly . I've seen many teams use them as free spinning casters, and that is not a 'omni drive' system. The fact that the wheels have rollers on them is countered by the wheels being placed at an angle 45 degrees with the chassis.

Alex357
03-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Would you like to back that statement up? I think of the many teams that have done a traditional omni-wheel setup, my team included, can contest that it does not move freely, if implemented correctly . I've seen many teams use them as free spinning casters, and that is not a 'omni drive' system. The fact that the wheels have rollers on them is countered by the wheels being placed at an angle 45 degrees with the chassis.

That statement was not meant to discredit the use of the traditional omni-wheel. I was just pointing out that the wheel design itself allows for traction as opposed to the free-spinning rollers on the traditional design.

george56
03-19-2005, 09:28 PM
the best arm that i saw at Chesapeake had to be Team 173's arm. it was so simple and effective.

this may sound biased, but I'd have to say the coolest drive train at Chesapeake was ours(team 116). its just sooo cool!

Robomaniac928
05-04-2005, 07:18 PM
WOW

the coolest drive train thati have seen would definetly have to go to team jester there bot has custom designed wheels and floats butter fly and stings like a bee

katiyeh07
05-04-2005, 07:40 PM
I was definately impressed by the B.O.B robot, and Team 180's robot. They were very different and unique.

Billfred
05-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Well, at the risk of tooting my team's horn, our 2004 robot (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?s=&action=single&picid=9532&direction=DESC&sort=date&perrow=4&trows=10&quiet=Verbose) had a bit of an interesting twist.

On the other hand, 67 this year probably took the prize (along with all of the other prizes, for that matter--congrats again, guys :) ). I don't think I've seen a flopping swerve with the ever-popular pitchfork.

Then again, 85 and 180 also have the oddball manipulators that worked well (but more traditional drivetrains). It's all good.

Justin_302
05-04-2005, 08:48 PM
....302 had an amazing drivetrain. No one could push them:cool: