PDA

View Full Version : Programmable LED Badges 1501 had at BoilerMaker Regional

Chris_Elston
03-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Hey guys,

We had alot of teams ask where we got the programmable LED Badges that Team THRUST 1501 had at the BoilerMaker Regional. Here is a link to get them.

BUY the LED Badge Here (http://shopv2.elstonsystems.com/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/49)

They cost $12.00. The normal price is $20.00 at the website. To get the $12.00 price you have to put your team number, team name, team mentor, and dean kamen in the comments field when you place the order.

It's a pretty good price if interested. Think Geek.com has this same badge for $35.00 each. Plus it's a special price for just FIRST robotics people.

It's programmable upto 125 characters with 4 speed scrolls. The battery only last about 48 hours if you leave it on all the time. Comes with a SERIAL programming cable. No USB yet :-(

PS: I asked the moderators if it was ok to share this with you guys, they said ok.

Josh Hambright
03-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Very cool chris,
I happened to catch a glimpse of these things at boilermaker and i was very impressed.
I may have to look into purchasing one, if for no other reason, then to have a programmable button!

Joe Matt
03-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Hey guys,

We had alot of teams ask where we got the programmable LED Badges that Team THRUST 1501 had at the BoilerMaker Regional. Here is a link to get them.

BUY the LED Badge Here (http://shopv2.elstonsystems.com/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/49)

They cost $12.00. The normal price is $20.00 at the website. To get the $12.00 price you have to put your team number, team name, team mentor, and dean kamen in the comments field when you place the order.

It's a pretty good price if interested. Think Geek.com has this same badge for $35.00 each. Plus it's a special price for just FIRST robotics people.

It's programmable upto 125 characters with 4 speed scrolls. The battery only last about 48 hours if you leave it on all the time. Comes with a SERIAL programming cable. No USB yet :-(

PS: I asked the moderators if it was ok to share this with you guys, they said ok.
Wow, thanks man! I will be getting one for Champs! :)

Sscamatt
03-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Sweet, I just ordered mine. Awesome for the price.

ForgottenSalad
03-23-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure what team had them, but I remember seeing them around at the SBPLI regional... Those things were awesome... for $12 each, that's not too bad if your team has the cash for them...

ZZII 527
03-23-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure what team had them, but I remember seeing them around at the SBPLI regional... Those things were awesome... for $12 each, that's not too bad if your team has the cash for them...

You saw the single badge that has made its way through both BAE (with Team 97) and SBPLI (with Team 527). I purchased it in an electronics swap meet at MIT for :ahh: $60 :ahh: . Well, this one can hold eight 125-character messages with variable scroll speeds and brightness. Plus, it is programmable by infrared, which is really cool, and the battery seems to be lasting for ever. I'm bringing it down to nationals, of course, but it seems 527 won't be the only team with one now that you are all getting such a great deal on them.

Good pic of the winning alliance just after it was formed and the LED badge:
http://web.mit.edu/scolton/www/ledbadge.jpg

the_short1
03-23-2005, 12:20 PM
sweet link. .thanks ..

i wanted to make our own .. nice big one.. tri color leds. . the whole bit . . so during a competition, on our robot we could have messages programed like if we capped a tetra the driver can hit a button and it will show SCORE!.. and whatnots.. . but then ran outa fundage and time ...

Daniel Brim
03-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Team 294 will be sporting these (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27184) at SoCal and championships again this year. We are sponsored by digitalbadge.com

omutton
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Yay! I bought one!!!!

KyleGilbert45
03-23-2005, 04:56 PM
These are pretty cool, and a good price too. I have one question though, does the serial end of the cable connect into the badge or the computer. The only reason i'm asking is because I have a laptop that doesnt have a serial connection and I don't want to spend the extra money on a Serial-USB converter.

Kevyn H.
03-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Sorry, the serial end goes to the computer. :(

Chris_Elston
03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Your welcome. Hope it helps somehow.

Chris

Very cool chris,
I happened to catch a glimpse of these things at boilermaker and i was very impressed.
I may have to look into purchasing one, if for no other reason, then to have a programmable button!

george56
03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
cool!! I'm soo getting me one of those.

one question is the battery rechargable, do you know?

Sscamatt
03-23-2005, 11:38 PM
They are standard CR2032 batteries, (they aren't rechargeable) You can buy them at radioshack for about $3 or order them for $1 each with your LED badge. I'm sure you can find a lot of them or something like that on eBay also.

Chris_Elston
03-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah eBay does have a few online now, you can get lots of 10 pretty cheap.

Chris

They are standard CR2032 batteries, (they aren't rechargeable) You can buy them at radioshack for about $3 or order them for $1 each with your LED badge. I'm sure you can find a lot of them or something like that on eBay also.

dangerousdave
03-28-2005, 06:34 AM
chakorules, Thanks for the link. Received my 3 badges + batteries on Saturday and they work great!. Thanks also to Elston Systems, Inc. for offering the discount to First! Dave :)

Chris_Elston
06-03-2005, 09:35 PM
FYI:

Elston System has decided to sponsor a special price for the LED badges once again for 2005/2006. They have TWO deals now.

Deal #1 Original Badge with upgraded FIRMWARE called Version 1.1. It can be programmed with software in kit or HyperTerminal. This means you can connect this badge to a serial device and send ASCII to the badge. We have not tried to connect this badge to the IRC controller, but it might be a possibility.

Link:
http://shopv2.elstonsystems.com/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/49
The price did increase $2 this year to $14.00 from last years $12.00

Deal #2 is a whole new upgraded badge that can store up to 16 different messages. Includes (2) batteries now in the kit and an IR transmitter. Transmitter must be located within 2 cm of receiver unit on the back of the badge. It can not be programmed with HyperTerminal nor does it support ACSII strings.

Link:
http://shopv2.elstonsystems.com/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/59
This new version 2.0 badge is special priced at $16.00 for FIRST robotics.

Freddy Schurr
06-05-2005, 11:03 AM
i am thinking of ordering one

is it worth it?

Greg Marra
06-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Deal #1 Original Badge with upgraded FIRMWARE called Version 1.1. It can be programmed with software in kit or HyperTerminal. This means you can connect this badge to a serial device and send ASCII to the badge. We have not tried to connect this badge to the IRC controller, but it might be a possibility.

Having worked quite a bit with serial communications on the RC for the CMUCam this year, I would say that anything you can do in HyperTerminal can be done on the RC. I can just picture capping a goal and having a little taunt scroll by the side of your robot...

Kautz
06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I only have two files on my disk.
Ledsend
ledbadge.csg

No LEDBadge.exe

Can run the program but can not load the program to the hard drive.

Do I need to get the LEDBadge.exe file from them or is there a way to load from the cd I have?

Thanks

Chris_Elston
06-09-2005, 10:46 PM
I only have two files on my disk.
Ledsend
ledbadge.csg

No LEDBadge.exe

Can run the program but can not load the program to the hard drive.

Do I need to get the LEDBadge.exe file from them or is there a way to load from the cd I have?

Thanks

Ledsend is an EXE file. The way we do it, is copy that file anywhere on your hard drive. Then double click that file from your hard drive. You can't double click and run the LedSend.exe from the cd-rom because the EXE needs to save the config file. So just copy and paste that ledsend.exe to your hard drive, then double click that ledsend.exe and you should be all set.

By the way, for those of you that don't know. ledsend.exe is in reference to version 2.0. I think version 1.1 has a setupb.exe file with a "normal" installer. But version 2.0 does not have a "setup.exe" installer. You just gotta copy the exe file from cd-rom to hard drive.

XtremeEagle04
06-10-2005, 11:44 AM
check these out:

www.icedoutgear.com/LED-buckles.php

some of my friends and I bought a few for when we go to the clubs in the area, the're real attention grabbers! :yikes:

Vince lau
10-04-2005, 08:56 PM
i finally found a place in the Toronto area that sells these, the one i got can store 6 different messages, the first one can do 512 characters, and remaining 5 upto 256 characters each

here is a pic of it http://www.ontfluidpowerltd.com/badge.jpg

got it for $25 CDN + tax, with the optional battery back

Chris_Elston
10-04-2005, 09:19 PM
The version 2.0 badge is $16.00 US, I don't know what that converts in Canadian. I think that's almost the same amount right?

Version 2.0 can do:
http://shopv2.elstonsystems.com/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/59

Badge Stores up to 4000 characters, with 4 different scrolling speed settings.

16 Different Messages can be loaded into badge, and selected which message to display on the back.

Badge can be programmed WITHOUT software using input keys on the back of the badge.

Also now available. Re-chargeable CR-2032 Batteries with charger and two batteries.

Ian Curtis
10-05-2005, 05:39 AM
Notice how one of those LED pimped out belts says "Dave"? :yikes:
http://www.icedoutgear.com/BB82.php

Ken Leung
09-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Apologize for digging up an old thread, but, any chance there are still good deals out there for LED badges?

Chris_Elston
09-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I am not interested in a profit, but here is the price list from my supplier. If you guys want some...pm me, and pay the price listed. It's the "COST" price with no mark up and you'll also need to pay the shipping from Twain to USA.

LED-0050 Programmable Name Badge LED Card (Red Color) $7.20
Bulk Packing with battery, driver and cable

LED-0051 Programmable Name Badge LED Card (Yellow Color) $10.00

LED-0060 Programmable LED Belt Buckle Red Color $7.50
Blister Packing with battery

LED-0081 USB Programmable Name Badge LED Card (Red Color) $10.00
Bulk Packing with battery, driver and USB cable

LED-0082 USB Programmable Name Badge LED Card (Blue Color) $12.85

LED-0071 Programmable LED Heart Shape Necklace (Red) $9.50

LED-0072 Programmable LED Heart Shape Necklace (Blue) $13.70

LED-0070 Programmable LED Necklace Red Color $8.40

LED-0090 Rechargeable 2032 battery with charger $2.80
Bulk Packing with 2 pcs of rechargeable batteries

MCP-1010 Flashing light with dice function Wine Cup $0.52
Bulk / Box Packing

MCP-1011 LED Candle $0.68
Bulk / Box Packing

LED-0100 150 pcs PAR 38 LED floodlight White light bulb (110V) $15.20
Box Packing

LED-0102 36 pcs PAR 20 LED floodlight Warm White light bulb $5.10
Box Packing

LED-0103 High Power 5 W LED floodlight White light bulb $10.50
Box Packing

LED-0104 High Power 10 W LED floodlight White light bulb $23.70
Box Packing

LED-0105 High Power 5 W LED White light bulb $16.30
Box Packing

DPN-0011 1.1" Color Digital Photo Necklace $12.80
Box Packing with driver, USB cable, necklace hook

DPN-0007 7" Color Digital Photo Frame (Transparant) $66.20
Box Packing, Power Supply, Remote Control, manual

DPN-0105 10" Color Digital Photo Frame (Wooden) $121.50
Box Packing, Power Supply, Remote Control, manual

MET-0106 Music Equalizer T-Shirt $8.40
Independent Packing

Ken Leung
09-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks Chris. What's the difference between:

LED-0050 Programmable Name Badge LED Card (Red Color) $7.20

and

LED-0081 USB Programmable Name Badge LED Card (Red Color) $10.00

?

Chris_Elston
09-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Far as I know.

One requires a DB-9 serial port laptop or com port to program, the other has the USB to Serial already built into the programming cable.

If you have a laptop or desktop with a serial port, you can get the cheaper non-usb version.

Taylor
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Above post reported.