PDA

View Full Version : Text Message Reminders

Brandon Martus
04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Ok, the system is 90% done. I have yet to write the part that actually sends out the reminders, but the part where you set all your info up, and request reminders is done.

If anybody wants to help test, theres a fake event going on this Friday, and you can set up some reminders.

You can find the interface in your user cp. (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/usercp.php?) There's a menu item on the left, under the Recent Posts config. Here is a crash course:

Enter your cell#
Choose your provider.
Read the 3 paragraph agreement. No, really, read it.
Watch your phone, get a text message with a 3-digit code.
Enter the code.
Rejoice softly, and then request some reminders.
You can set up to two reminders per event. 5, 15, 30, and 60 minutes before. These are configurable, so if anybody has a valid request for different times, send me a PM.

If you have any problems, please send me a PM or IM me.

Enjoy.

Stephen Kowski
04-05-2005, 12:44 PM
ah....first I only thought that news organizations would send me alerts waking me up in the middle of the night, but now I can get something interesting from CD....awesome....btw verfication worked very smoothly....

Tom Bottiglieri
04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I got the verification message 2 seconds after I cliked OK.

Awesome..

But Brandon, I am not able to remove the debug reminders. Will those actually send? If they do it's not a problem, but I think I'm over my text limit. Either way, its only 2 cents.

Joe Matt
04-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Easy set up, as always. It sent, and I thought I had my phone on silence, but it rang in the middle of my class. Ooops! :ahh: :p

Do you think you can add it for other FIRST events, like a message sent at 6am to wake up for Champs, Robot Parade at 7:45, etc.

Stu Bloom
04-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Easy set up, as always. It sent, and I thought I had my phone on silence, but it rang in the middle of my class. Ooops! :ahh: :p

Do you think you can add it for other FIRST events, like a message sent at 6am to wake up for Champs, Robot Parade at 7:45, etc.
WOW ... so now CD is also a wake-up service ???

Brandon, how much are you going to be charging for these new services ?? :yikes:

But wait !! This might be one way to pay for that hardware upgrade that is sure to be needed in the near future ... :cool:

Brandon Martus
04-05-2005, 01:11 PM
I got the verification message 2 seconds after I cliked OK.

Awesome..

But Brandon, I am not able to remove the debug reminders. Will those actually send? If they do it's not a problem, but I think I'm over my text limit. Either way, its only 2 cents.
Tom, those all are shown but you won't get any reminders unless you click the 'request reminder' on the right. When a reminder is going to be sent, the link changes to say 'remove reminder' in bold. I probably need to make that more obvious. Hmm.

Brandon Martus
04-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Brandon, how much are you going to be charging for these new services ?? :yikes:
No charge.

But, now that I have all of your cell phone #'s I can call you** and beg for money, if the need arises!! :)

**yes, I'm 100% joking. as the disclaimer says, they will be used for reminders and only reminders.

Katie Reynolds
04-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Tom, those all are shown but you won't get any reminders unless you click the 'request reminder' on the right. When a reminder is going to be sent, the link changes to say 'remove reminder' in bold. I probably need to make that more obvious. Hmm. After clicking "remove reminder" ... the "remove reminder" link is still there, even after a refresh!!

Save for that, it seems to be working well - I also got the verification message about a second after I hit "OK"!!

EDIT: I should mention that this is for the Web Hug reminder; the "Test Event" reminder is requestable/removeable, as is the "NEMO Meet & Greet" reminder.

Tom Bottiglieri
04-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Tom, those all are shown but you won't get any reminders unless you click the 'request reminder' on the right. When a reminder is going to be sent, the link changes to say 'remove reminder' in bold. I probably need to make that more obvious. Hmm.
I kind of figured that one out, but it is not letting me remove the reminders. (Unless it is and just not showing it..) The "remove reminder" link stays even after I follow it and get a "Reminder Deleted" notification page.

Stu Bloom
04-05-2005, 01:22 PM
One more concern Brandon ... maybe this is nothing ...
The event time listed for the web hug says 11:00 (in my browser window). I am assuming that is due to time zone differences as it will be 11:00 here in Indianapolis when it is 12:00 in Atlanta. Please confirm that the schedule hasn't changed. Hopefully this idiosyncrasy (yes, I used the spell checker ;) ) will not mess up the timing of the actual reminder messages.

edit: OOPS ... nevermind ...
I see that it says 11:00 AM EST (Eastern Standard Time) which actually IS 12:00 EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) ... sorry ...

Brandon Martus
04-05-2005, 02:59 PM
yeah, silly bug on my part.
it all worked fine until there were 2 users requesting reminders! :)

this should all be working now.

32 people registered already.
27 confirmed.

i guess this was a good thing. :)

Pat Fairbank
04-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Hey Brandon,

Don't forget us Canadians! :) Here are the servers for the 4 major wireless providers up here:

Bell Mobility: txt.bellmobility.ca
Fido: fido.ca
Rogers Wireless: pcs.rogers.com
Telus Mobility: msg.telus.com

Thanks for the reminder system - it's a great idea!

Brandon Martus
04-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey Brandon,

Don't forget us Canadians! :) Here are the servers for the 4 major wireless providers up here:

Bell Mobility: txt.bellmobility.ca
Fido: fido.ca
Rogers Wireless: pcs.rogers.com
Telus Mobility: msg.telus.com

Thanks for the reminder system - it's a great idea!
thats exactly what i needed. thanks. :)

Greg Marra
04-05-2005, 04:04 PM
thats exactly what i needed. thanks. :)

Assuming other people are savvy enough and have an uncommon provider, would it be acceptable to allow users to enter their whole txt-message address themselves?

You could even disguise it as a "normal e-mail address" field and then the savvy people could just put their cell phone in there.

Lisa Rodriguez
04-05-2005, 04:05 PM
But, now that I have all of your cell phone #'s I can call you** and beg for money, if the need arises!! :)

So this IS a huge 47 fundraiser scam!!! I knew it!!!!

But anyway, Brandon you rock!! Thanks for SO much hard work put into this, you do way more than you're ever given credit for!!! Thanks so much!!!

Kris Verdeyen
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Now all you need to do is set up a 5 minute warning before each match (filtered by team number, of course) when you get the match list. And maybe something I could ping to get the real time standings! Or even.... <Kris is abruptly silenced by Brandon>

Seriously, though - this is great. All I get now is the weather report every morning, and "73 and sunny", while comforting, is getting boring.

Jon K.
04-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey Brandon this is awesome, now to just pray to the FIRST gods that I don't have a practice match and if I do.... Hey Lisa you wanna coach that one?

But seriously, now I should remember it, and with any luck I won't be grabbing people half way into the webhug and trying to find it like last year.

av11d
04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Worked flawlessly. This is seriously awesome... thanks so much for your continued efforts!

Dorienne
04-05-2005, 05:39 PM
This is awesome, Brandon. No more kinks...it's great.
Now I definitely can't forget it, because I'm jynxed with that thing where if I really wanna do something on a day...I forget. >_<;

Thanks so much Brandon! I swear, you do way too much for us! <3

omutton
04-05-2005, 06:50 PM
That's pretty awesome! I just hope I don't get an "International Fee"

Julia Magoolia
04-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Now I just can't wait to see: 30 minutes before the webhug, as one, the thousands of people in the georgia dome will check their cell phones...
That'll be a sight to see!

Brandon Martus
04-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Assuming other people are savvy enough and have an uncommon provider, would it be acceptable to allow users to enter their whole txt-message address themselves?

You could even disguise it as a "normal e-mail address" field and then the savvy people could just put their cell phone in there.
I'll have to add their provider to the list. I don't want to make it too complex on the back end.

petek
04-06-2005, 03:10 PM
No charge.

**yes, I'm 100% joking. as the disclaimer says, they will be used for reminders and only reminders.
Just don't let Paris Hilton get ahold of the list!

Add one more chime of thanks for doing all this for us, Brandon!

Brandon Martus
04-06-2005, 07:11 PM
The dispatch script is now running. Cross your fingers. ;)

I tested it out as best I could without actually sending out text messages. That's what this Friday evening is for. If you want to help, go sign up for a reminder for the 'test' event that's in the list. On Friday, when you get the message please send me a PM saying you got it (or IM if you see me on AIM) and describe any problems you may have had.

If you get any weird (unexpected) text messages please contact me so I can shut off the server and fix the problem.

Thanks.

Ryan Albright
04-06-2005, 07:14 PM
brandon going have a big pm inbox on friday eh?

Brandon Martus
04-06-2005, 07:16 PM
brandon going have a big pm inbox on friday eh?
'big' is relative :)

Private Messages (http://private.php?): 0, Total 2340.

Ryan Albright
04-06-2005, 07:37 PM
well you just found a way to double it :)

I am guessing that it will get to 3700 any takers?

D.J. Fluck
04-07-2005, 03:22 AM
well you just found a way to double it :)

I am guessing that it will get to 3700 any takers?

No way....bet you a coke that it doesnt break more then 2800

Joe Johnson
04-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Great idea. One suggestion I have is the organization of the data.

I think that it would be much nicer to have the events in rows with all the reminders on the same row on the right side (perhaps with a check box?).

You could check or uncheck all the reminders you want (5m, 30m, etc.) then hit "UPDATE" on the left.

Of course, the page would come up with your current choices marked so all you'd have to do to get off the list is uncheck the box and hit UPDATE.

The reason I am thinking this is better is that we only have 3 events and the screen is pretty busy already plus the "REQUEST REMINDER" text looks a lot like the "UNREQUEST REMINDER" text. Imagine pages of them once we get going with this feature. YIKES!

I think the rows with events and columns showing reminders requested or not would be a much cleaner, more information packed, easier to understand interface.

How hard is this to do? That is not my department ;-)

For what it is worth.

Joe J.

Ryan Albright
04-07-2005, 09:59 AM
No way....bet you a coke that it doesnt break more then 2800
Your on :)

Brandon Martus
04-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Great idea. One suggestion I have is the organization of the data.Yeah, I want to change the output a bit. I jumped the gun and released it faster than I should have, but I wanted people to help me test it out before we really needed to use it. The layout of the request page will most likely change this weekend sometime. I worked so hard getting the query to get that data to show (believe me, it was a tough few hours), I neglected to make sure it was easily usable.

Conor Ryan
04-17-2005, 09:11 PM
one quick question, you mentioned in your original post that it was 90% done, is it 100% done? Or is that last 10% the actual using of it?

Greg Needel
04-17-2005, 09:22 PM
i was wondering if it would be possible to add a reminder for the Passover Seder that is going to be taking place after the awards before the wrap party. i can give you time and date information if needed. thanks

Brandon Martus
04-18-2005, 08:39 AM
one quick question, you mentioned in your original post that it was 90% done, is it 100% done? Or is that last 10% the actual using of it?
Oh, no. It's done. The 10% that needed to be done was tested last week. It's ready go to --