PDA

View Full Version : First logo and tasks

Denman
04-12-2005, 06:58 AM
I did search and couldn't find anythign....
but

one of our members said this to me

has anyone noticed the correspondance with the first logo and the tasks. We had the boxes (the square) , the balls (circle) and now the tetra (triangle)....

Tom Bottiglieri
04-12-2005, 07:06 AM
the balls (circle)...
Floppies?

DarkJedi613
04-12-2005, 07:30 AM
has anyone noticed the correspondance with the first logo and the tasks. We had the boxes (the square) , the balls (circle) and now the tetra (triangle)....
didn't kamen say that during kickoff (that every part of the FIRST logo has been used except for the triangle, which has no been used)? :ahh:

Kevin Sevcik
04-12-2005, 07:38 AM
So next year we'll be manipulating large bold italic block letters to spell FIRST?

Rich Wong
04-12-2005, 07:56 AM
I did search and couldn't find anything....
but
one of our members said this to me:
OH! so we are back to boxes in 2006? :yikes:

Denman
04-12-2005, 08:47 AM
So next year we'll be manipulating large bold italic block letters to spell FIRST?
Lol
spell first on the bar from 2003 and the balls are replaced by an alpha betti spegetti style mix of letters

Rich Wong
04-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Lol
spell first on the bar from 2003 and the balls are replaced by an alpha betti spegetti style mix of letters

Idea!
Autonomous mode using CCDs or laser scanners for pattern recognition. Spell F I R S T in 15 seconds for 50 points bonus; that's 10 points for each letter in the correct position. This will be nice challenge. :D

(reader warning: This is the Rumor Mill! Rumor Mill.... rumor Mill... )

Beth Sweet
04-12-2005, 09:43 AM
OH! so we are back to boxes in 2006? :yikes:

Uh oh, I hope not, I know one of my mentors expressed a distinct desire to go back to balls lol. Personally, I think they should do an all white field, they do blue and red alliances every year, they need to incorporate all FIRST colors into the game!

But yes, I had noticed that they were doing all the shapes lately

Jessica Boucher
04-12-2005, 09:45 AM

I've thought that too. All joking aside, it looks to me that FIRST has been finishing off a lot of multiples of three that they've had going for a while. But I won't mention the others until I'm proven right, wrong, or otherwise at the Championship. :)

E. Wood
04-12-2005, 08:26 PM
I did notice how the objects that are played with have been in order starting with the squares, then the balls and then to triangles. My bet is that next year the game will have something to do with a squared object.

ali_rockon22
04-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Next year FIRST will come up with its own shape called the FIRSTagon. These will the new game pieces.

kjhobin
04-12-2005, 09:05 PM
maybe pentagons (5 letters in first, 5 sides) or a 5 sided object made of pentagons? (is that even possible, if it is, what is it called???)

Rombus
04-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Well, a quick Google search turned this up (Closes i could find to a 3d 5 sided pentagon shaped object)
http://www.auxisystems.com/Images/Demo/Dome_WireFrame.gif

If you remove the 5 side limit, you get something more akin to a Bucky ball (i think thats what there called)

Ryan M.
04-13-2005, 06:00 AM
has anyone noticed the correspondance with the first logo and the tasks. We had the boxes (the square) , the balls (circle) and now the tetra (triangle)....Certain members of my team have been promoting this idea and even claim that next year it will be boxes again. That could very well be, but I'd just like to point out that circles, squares, and triangles are pretty basic shapes. There isn't a whole lot else they could do.

So, I think it's basically a coincidence. The FIRST logo was probably based around the three basic shapes, which just happen to have a large number of things like them...

Bill Moore
04-13-2005, 06:26 AM
If you remove the 5 side limit, you get something more akin to a Bucky ball (i think thats what there called)
Buckminsterfullerene is the technical term, named because of the similarity to Buckminster Fuller's geodesic domes. The Epcot Dome is one example.
More info here:
http://www.applied-synergetics.com/ashp/html/buckybal.html
They are currently a very interesting and hot area of materials research. Everybody and their brother are trying to make carbon nanaotubes in an economical fashion.

Denman
04-13-2005, 07:01 AM
but they are known as bucky balls yes

kjhobin
04-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, a quick Google search turned this up (Closes i could find to a 3d 5 sided pentagon shaped object)
http://www.auxisystems.com/Images/Demo/Dome_WireFrame.gif

well maybe you have to hang them on some thing or cap them. That would be interesting!

Bill Moore
04-13-2005, 07:11 AM
but they are known as bucky balls yes
Yes, Denman, even the researchers call them "bucky balls". (Who would want to keep saying the term "buckminsterfullerene" every other sentence?)

Rombus
04-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the name Bill!
I just had another brain flash! Essentially, This years game was a giant game of tick tac toe. What is another simple game that could be done on a bigger scale? first thing i thought of was connect four.

1574aviad
04-15-2005, 07:27 AM
my idea of a new game:
flying robots!!!!
yeah!!
either that or a water game :D

Sakura141
04-16-2005, 09:32 AM
My team noticed that thing too... We think that the game next year could involve all 3 of those shapes.

Mrs. Lamotte, our main mentor, and my math teacher, during first hour made a comment about how she wished we could go back to balls again

ahecht
04-19-2005, 10:32 AM
We think that the game next year could involve all 3 of those shapes.

Hmm, sort of like this game (http://users.wpi.edu/%7Esavage/Archives/2002/pictures.html)?