PDA

View Full Version : Need options for webhosting?

DarMagi
04-14-2005, 06:33 PM
We are a third year team and are currently working on a team site. We are looking around at different web hosting services and such to upload all of our pictures and have enough webspace to store everything and have a good bandwidth connection. What service are the other teams using, and maybe a link to the service so we can look at the service. Could we also get a testomonial of whether the service is appropriate for a FIRST team website? I DID search the forums and the closest thing I have found was the hosting by Sevaa, and I would like to know of any other options, and maybe if some teams have a site associated with their high school site. Thanks everyone, you rock!

Mike
04-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Sevaa Hosting is probably the best. I work tech support for them, so I know the owner personally. He's a really cool guy, and doesn't have the "I'm the owner and im better than you" attitude.

If you have a problem with your service, you can go to me or him.

KTorak
04-14-2005, 07:56 PM
If you have a decent upload speed (512k or above) and don't plan on serving a million competition videos you could run a web server on your own. I don't know any good pay services...I use my own server and freewebpage.org for random things.

sanddrag
04-14-2005, 09:22 PM
I believe 696 uses www.made2own.com Their $3.50 per month plan looks pretty good for a team site (you could probably even get away with less if you don't have lots of pictures). Whatever you get, make sure it has CPanel, and Fantastico is always a plus too.

I would not recommend going with your school website if you do not want a lot of headaches. Also, that probably won't allow you to get full control over all your features (ftp, databases, mailing lists, etc).

Here's a suggestion for all teams, if you have a CPanel hosting account, be sure to set up a Mailman mailing list for your team with every member's e-mail address. We do this and we require every member to have an e-mail address and to check it at lease once daily. This single thing has probably been the biggest improvement we've ever had in team communication. It allows any member to e-mail everyone by just typing in one address in the "To:" line. You can also make a separate list for just the mentors, or just the parents in case they don't want to get all the kids e-mails.

Randy
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey Cory,

We'd be glad to host you guys for free. If you have not already, check out the details at http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24872 and let me know if you have any questions.

-Randy

DarkJedi613
04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
We use www.ipowerweb.com - its good, nice control panel (and not cpanel thank god), stable, lots of bandwidth :) also their tech support guys aren't jerks ;)