PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with old robots?

Gui Cavalcanti
04-15-2002, 09:54 PM
We're only a 3 year team and our workroom is getting somewhat crowded. It was never big to begin with, but now we have to store 2 old robots (that the team refuses to use for spare parts, too much love was put into them) and we don't know where. When IT comes back from Nationals, we'll have 3. If this keeps going for two or three years we won't have a workroom anymore.

Help! What do you guys do with old robots? Any suggestions for us?

purplehaze357
04-15-2002, 09:59 PM
Team 357, also a third year team, has 2 old robots plus this years uses the robots to train the rookies to the team...we use it for drive training and operator training and also programming training...we can also use it to show off to our school board when they want to see what their robotics team is doing...we use them also to attract new members..

So there are many things u can do with them...its all a matter of who wants to teach..

oOo u know what else they're good for.....post-season/pre-season competitions:D :D :p

Jnadke
04-15-2002, 10:33 PM
We keep our old robots handy... well.. we keep TOBOR 3 and 4. 2 is in pieces and the rest... I dunno where...

Digo
04-15-2002, 10:43 PM
All the Brazilian Buddies stay in our room.
BB1 isn't working, but we are planning to set it the way it was.
BB2 is fine, and was used once to show the middle school kids what the robot does.
BB3 is in Florida for vacations. Soon he will be playing in the nationals, and when he comes back I hope the school uses him and the others to ask for sponsoring.

Steve Yasick
04-16-2002, 09:08 AM
In Zeeland we have been giving our robots to people in the community with special needs. Two years ago we took the drive from one machine and made power for a stand up wheel chair for a girl in our school with MS. This year we will be giving or machine to the Ottawa County Mental Health Department so they can use it for some of their clients.

You have to ask around and find a good fit but many people could use the power of your robot and your talents to make their life better.:)

Steve Yasick
Zeeland High
Team 85

Al Skierkiewicz
04-16-2002, 12:44 PM
We use our robots for display, demonstration, practice and driver tryouts. Right now, one robot is in New Hampshire, and one is in a trophy case at one of our schools trying to get more students interested. Most robots have made it into local parades, demonstrated for grade schools, community leaders and school boards. One was driven before a joint session of congress by members of the armed services committee, senators and congressmen and one has seen service in demonstration before both the mayor of Chicago and the governor of Illinois.
Good thing they are still small enough to fit into the back of a van.
Good Luck All

aka Scott White
04-16-2002, 03:16 PM
We stripped all the components off our old robot, then mounted it on casters. Then we took a steel body that we had made up for this years competition but couldn't use 'cause it was too heavy, and built a robotics go-kart using assorted parts from last year. Finally, we mounted a folding chair on it, tied last year's 8ft latex tube from the back of the go-kart to the front of the old robot, which we then stand on and conduct chariot races down the halls.

Perseus
04-16-2002, 06:33 PM
"Big MOE" has been stripped down. That is our bot from 2001.\

no oe would dare even mention stripping down "Lil' Moe." In fact, we have bought new threads since last year

The Lucas
04-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Perseus
"Big MOE" has been stripped down. That is our bot from 2001.\

Our 2000 bot, "MOE" or "Big MOE", has not necessarily been "stripped down". Rather it has become our prototype bot that as recently as last Sunday has been used to test new grippers and brakes we made after Drexel.
Our 2001 bot, Lil' MOE is treated as a museum piece, especially since he was signed by Dean and Woody. Also, He is the #1 ambassador for our team, since we take him to all our community events. Last Saturday, He was at an expo in the Exton Mall. This Thursday, & Friday he will be at Tech Summit. Even with most of the team in Florida next week, Lil' MOE be at DuPont's Take Your Daughters To Work Day. We keep Lil' MOE very well maintained so he can continue on his busy schedule. If anyone ever tries to disassemble Lil' MOE, a large contingent of alumni led by Super Jake will thwart their attempt.

Katie Reynolds
04-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Yea, like Jeremy said before, TOBOR III and TOBOR IV are still operable and sitting in the tech center at Appleton East HS (where we build our robots). TOBOR II is there, but does not run and the original TOBOR is in pieces ... I know one former student from that year has a piece of TOBOR I in his closet! Who knows where the rest of the robot is. Oh and the robot pre-TOBOR no one knows anything about so ... couldn't tell you what fate befell that one - no one even knows it's name! :rolleyes:

- Katie

Mark Hamilton
04-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Our robots, out of neccesity have been stripped for parts with the exception of last year's robot ( which we use for demos). A big part of it however, is until the innovation first controllers you had to send the robot controller back to first after the season was over, so having the bots operating didnt make that much sense. Most of our bots are sitting in a vault in the school (yes robotics has its own vault, go figure) gathering dust.

Shelley_delphi chick
04-17-2002, 08:37 PM
Team 48 has been around for five years now with our XTREME MACHINE 5 already in FL. Two years ago robot now has a permenate home at The National Packard Mussem, Last years robot was to teach the rookies in our FIRST class, and our National Champion robot is in our shop on a high ledge where it belongs. That was a great moment!!

On a side note........."super" jake would sleep with Lil' Moe if given the oppertunity. He cares for that robot as if it were his own child. He's a great guy and for everyone who keeps asking about my name..........

It was given to me by my team members as a joke because for the last two years I've always been see with Jake!! So if there was anyone else wondering there you go!!

Michelle

Melissa Nute
04-17-2002, 08:39 PM
I think our robots go into storage somewhere, i'm not too sure.

Harrison
04-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Old bots have two purposes...

1) Demostrations.

2) Giving me something to do in my engineering class. ;)

Elyse Holguin
04-17-2002, 10:59 PM
Team 71 has a whole robot parade in the old band room we have, and we put them to use for driving practice, and we put on demonstrations at other schools in our city to help promote FIRST. When we aren't using them, thyey just chill in the band room as coat hangers. (hehehe)

The Lucas
04-18-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by M.O.E. Hoe

On a side note........."super" jake would sleep with Lil' Moe if given the oppertunity. He cares for that robot as if it were his own child.
Did Jake ever tell you the "Lil' MOE Prom Night Story", Michelle? It is one of the funniest stories I can remember from last year. I'm sure the mentors on my team would rather I not tell it on a public forum (For all those people with their minds in the gutter right now: It does NOT involve sleeping with Lil' MOE).

WernerNYK
04-18-2002, 10:00 PM
We are only a first-year team, but I know we were thinking of making a platform that will hang from the ceiling from steel cables. Previous years robots would rest up there :)

Matt Lundberg
04-18-2002, 10:07 PM
we keep our old robots toward the front of our shop where everyone can see them as they walk in.

CaptainPlaid
04-19-2002, 04:24 PM
We get together at the end of the year and have a big bonfire. Marshmellows, hot dogs, the whole deal. Just watch out when that battery goes!
Actually, I'm just kidding. We do the same thing as everyone else and keep the old robots in our shop for demonstrations and recruiting.

foursixnine
04-20-2002, 10:25 PM
On my old team(349) we would cannabalize our robots. On 469 we used the 2001 bot for demonstrations and recruiting, the 2000 bot is scattered amoung alumni's houses.

Ricksta
04-20-2002, 11:21 PM
team 121 has a robot grave yard. this is an area that is alot higher than our working area. its like an attic. every robot is left somewhat intact.

this year after the robot was shipped we looted the old bots and made a mini me of sorts. it only took 8 hours to make. went forwards and backwards and moved a soccer ball. it was pretty cool.

some "professional" engineer helped us wire it. he accidently wired the power into the fuse box into the controller out to light then back to controller and then battery. needless to say the controller went up in smoke. wires were melted together. but the wierd thing is the controller still worked. his excuse for wiring it was that the fuse box was :confused: confusing :confused:

mpking
04-22-2002, 09:43 PM
We've been trying to save or bots for demonstration purposes.

We have a large room the school loans to us, and we can keep robots and other supplies there. (The carpet is huge)

We have a partially complete 97 bot,
98 and 99 are complete, but suffered mechanical failures during out of season competitions /demonstrations and are not 100% functional

2000 is ready to go, and 2001 is in our Display case

One of the parents donated his time and built us this display case.

It's about 7 feet high, Maybe 7 feet long, and 4 feet deep, with lots of shelves for our trophies.

http://www.tj2.org/awardcase/

PsychoPhil
04-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Gui Cavalcanti
What do you guys do with old robots? Any suggestions for us?

Well I'd be glad to take 'em... ;-) jk...

PsychoPhil
04-23-2002, 09:46 AM
Yeah I forgot...:

We were planning on using this years robot (we're a rookie) to recruit new students. I bet it is a big help to have a robot there when you're talking to students at a high school....
And we got this year another old robot for practice purposes from another team. I believe we gave it back to them after we were done with it...

It's a big help to let students drive with old robots for hundreds of hours just to get them used to have two joysticks, one for each wheel and so on...
You can do a lot of the driving work while your actual, new, robot is still being build...

so long, Phil

Jgreenwd1
04-23-2002, 09:52 AM
was it our grace?

thedillybar
04-28-2002, 11:26 PM
Our robot will definitely be completely stripped down for next year as we will desperately need any spare parts (and materials) that we can find with the little funding that we have to run our team.

Koko Ed
05-03-2002, 01:33 PM
We've kept our robots from the get go. Except the first robot which is in the Smithsonian with the other robots from the first year, I'm told. We try not to cannibalize the robots and are trying to build a museum at our site so if anyone walks through they can review our history.

sidewinder
05-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Our old robots serve many uses. We use them to train rookie drivers, recruit, test drive trains for the present years game, and show off.

We have been a team for 5 years now but only three robots still function. The Mystery Machine (99) is still alive and kickin but we have to replace its tranny. Frostbite 1 & 2 are still prefectly funtioning and we'll show um off this summer with the mystery machine at the Ann Arbor Art Fair and The Ypsilanti Heritage Festival, we hope to be joined again by our first ofspring team 470 (3rd year), and our new creation 830 of ann arbor. We'll have at least seven working bots for these events.

Our first 2 years robots faired very diffrently. Our rookie bot (97) lives on in pictures only, she was stripped until unrecognisable then just dumped. Our second bot The BEAST lives missing only her drive motors.
Plans are underway though to rebuild both bots over summer. Our hope is to rebuild both with new innovative drive trains (heavy tread, and crab).

In the off time we store all bots in our wood shop. While not being on display we pull them out usually every week for a demonstration somewhere in the community.

Chris P
05-04-2002, 03:35 PM
From what I have heard, 781 will be putting the robot on display at our sponser's info centre.

But before we do that we are planning on having some fun with it. Things like go do some shopping with it, and have it tow one of our teacher's car downtown.

Shelley_delphi chick
05-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Hey can I come shopping with the robot?!? Okay seriously, I think that would be something to see a robot go shopping in the mall and tow a car through the city....(parade would be a good thing to do that in). Our robot a couple years ago threw out the first pitch at a baseball game for a minor Leauge team!! That was a funny sight!! Anyone else's team doing something fun with their robot since the season is over?