PDA

View Full Version : Converting .wmv

Jay W.
05-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Hey guys,
I'm trying to do some video editing with some shots of some of our matches. However, all the video files are in .wmv, and my editor (Pinnacle) does not read them. Is there a way I can convert my .wmv's into another format?

thanks,
~Jay

ebmonon36
05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Google for .wmv converter. I use the one that comes up first.
Eric

Joe Matt
05-04-2005, 12:24 PM
If you don't want to download anything new, or spend money, get at digital camera, a copy of XP SP2, and your video. Import the .wmv video into Windows Video Creator (or something like that), then export it to a camera. When done, then import into Pinnacle.

SuperJake
05-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Hey guys,
I'm trying to do some video editing with some shots of some of our matches. However, all the video files are in .wmv, and my editor (Pinnacle) does not read them. Is there a way I can convert my .wmv's into another format?

thanks,
~Jay

Here is a link to a nice tutorial:

http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/wmv2avi.html

I've never done this conversion, but the tutorial is straight forward enough.

jdiwnab
05-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Converting files usually means lose of quality. The best thing to do it to import the movies again from the camera using a commersial video editing software. Some Pinnacle software will do this. My burner came with Ulead. Ulead lets me import the video off of the camera at full speed though firewire (i-Link). It automatically separates into scenes and puts them in order. If you are fimilar with iMovie, it is similar. BTW iMovie works good too. It sounds like you are using Windows Movie Maker. WMM does movie editing, too, but I don't like it. It will also burn stuff.

Most video editors will let you import video from an external camera. You might need extra hardware to import TV and VHS/commersial stuff like it.

SuperJake
05-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Converting files usually means lose of quality. The best thing to do it to import the movies again from the camera using a commersial video editing software. Some Pinnacle software will do this. My burner came with Ulead. Ulead lets me import the video off of the camera at full speed though firewire (i-Link). It automatically separates into scenes and puts them in order. If you are fimilar with iMovie, it is similar. BTW iMovie works good too. It sounds like you are using Windows Movie Maker. WMM does movie editing, too, but I don't like it. It will also burn stuff.

Most video editors will let you import video from an external camera. You might need extra hardware to import TV and VHS/commersial stuff like it.

This procedure is definitely the best option. For the highest quality, you'll need an IEEE-1395 (Firewire or iLink) connection from the camera to your computer. Pinnacle Studio has the ability to import footage directly from a camera using the IEEE-1395 connection. If you have a IEEE-1395 port on your computer and the camera, plug it in and Windows plug-n-pray should pick it up. Select 'open in Studio' and it will be good to go. Otherwise open studio, go to the import screen (the first tab). If you don't see a picture of a camera with vcr-type controls, go to set-up and edit the capture device to be a DV Camcorder. The rest should be relatively simple. PM me if you have any more questions!

sanddrag
05-04-2005, 02:43 PM
I use a program called FX video converter