PDA

View Full Version : Integrating Robotics into school curriculum

nalbonec
05-16-2005, 08:42 PM
We are trying to start a FIRST Robotics team at our school. In our introductory meeting with the school principal, he was concerned about "integrating robotics into the school curriculum" BEFORE we form a FIRST team.

Have any schools gone about getting started this way?

Thanks,
Chris

DCA Fan
05-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Take a look at Project Lead the Way, an engineering curriculum for high schools.

tiffany34990
05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
our school district when sitting up the engineering program @ Jensen Beach talked to local machine shops and engineering firms.. for them one was the Treasure Coast Round Table... which wouldn't have been know much about w/o S.P.A.M. existing :)

good luck with the program!!

Andrew Schuetze
06-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Take a look at Project Lead the Way, an engineering curriculum for high schools.

Just to throw out a second curriculum option, look at the Infinity Project. It is not as comprehensive a program since it is just a single course but is a much easier add since there are no four year commitments to add five courses and such. Their program is a digital engineering course with a new chapter being added on robotics.

http://www.infinity-project.org/

By far PLTW is more encompassing of a pre-engineering program.
:)

KORN_lover_2007
01-14-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't understand why it would be so important to integrate robotics into the school curriculum first. A lot of teams are started, and then try to get more classes in the curriculum that relate to it...at least that's what I have heard of. If you just have the mentors that could possibly help you with things the students don't know then you should be good. :)

DonRotolo
01-14-2006, 03:17 PM
We are trying to start a FIRST Robotics team at our school. In our introductory meeting with the school principal, he was concerned about "integrating robotics into the school curriculum" BEFORE we form a FIRST team.
I'm not sure what you mean by his being "concerned" - I am taking it to mean that he wanted to see some curriculum before you started a team.

If that's correct, then the way I would approach it is by having a brainstorming session with the science teachers - as many as you can gather regardless of specialty - and any "shop" or technology teachers (if you have them) - and see what things that are already in the curriculum would apply to robotics.

After compiling a list, write a brief note as to how this relates to robotics. Show all that to the principal, and explain that your school already has a significant robotics curriculum - just not presented to the students as such. FIRST has been an excellent way of tying all these diverse subjects into a meaningful and fun focus for our district, and many of the underclassmen are now gravitating towards physics, calculus and other subjects that they can use to do better in FIRST.

We're a large district, with two high schools and about 3500 students. The assistant superintendent, when he dropped by one day last year to see "what allt his robot stuff is about" was astounded. Quote: "This is the way education is supposed to be".

If the teachers can't all be in one place, then visit them individually.

Good luck,
Don