PDA

View Full Version : What did you all think of Nat's?

Quain
04-28-2002, 01:51 PM
What did you all think of the competition? I thought it was %%%% well organized. The A/C in the PIT was a huge help, made it very nice from the scorching heat. Everyone was super nice too. Met a lot of cool people, though there was some un-foreseen drama. I'm just happy that my team did VERY well for our first time @ nationals. Its also cool how we have backing from Amazon and National Beverage with the auctions and the Water. The balls in the stands were intresting... lotsa waves too... and now.. We finially made it back to Philly... the temperature is so nice here... something like 55... :D

Harrison
04-28-2002, 02:53 PM
What was the temp down there?

I got the impression that it was pretty hot.

Quain
04-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Hot is an understatement... hah :eek:

kane
04-28-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Quain
Hot is an understatement... hah :eek:

it was pleasent and it wasen't that hot only in the 90's

Andy A.
04-28-2002, 03:04 PM
It's about 40 and raining here.

Trust me, 90 is hot.

-Andy A.

Harrison
04-28-2002, 03:09 PM
90 isn't that bad!

Quain
04-28-2002, 03:36 PM
90's is mad hot... In Philly, its like.. 55-60ish and that is like the perfect temp...

Chubtoad
04-28-2002, 03:42 PM
I've went for the 2 prior years, and I'd have to say this year's was the best, not sure why, but it was sooo much fun this year and I thought the entire competition was great!! Congrats to everyone because everyone made it fun!!!

George1902
04-28-2002, 08:47 PM
90 isn't bad... it's the 75% humidity that's a killer

shane86
04-28-2002, 08:56 PM
well, i'm from jacksonville....3 hours away....and you think its hot now?!....come back and visit us in JULY......thats killer

Melissa Nute
04-28-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by shane86
well, i'm from jacksonville....3 hours away....and you think its hot now?!....come back and visit us in JULY......thats killer
Oh, July is a killer here.... it only gets worst in august though....

KellyT180
04-28-2002, 09:10 PM
It wasn't too bad! I mean, the sun was good.. I think it was better than the rain.. Lucky for us, this year it didn't rain as much as last year.. hehe..

Harrison
04-28-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by George180
90 isn't bad... it's the 75% humidity that's a killer

I'm from Toronto...From late May to early Septhember its like 30+C (90+F) and like 85% at least humidity (thanks to Lake Ontario).

Personally I like hot humid weather...It's great :)

Amy Beth
04-28-2002, 10:56 PM
random thoughts about nationals....

~I hate jet lag. God did not design the human body to travel three time zones in one day.

~The temp. was ok....but it was so humid that it took two hours for my shirt to dry after one of my teammates soaked me.

~The competition was awesome, i thought. This was my first year since they started doing divisions, and i loved it this way. So much better than two years ago when you had three hundred teams to scout. Archimedes...you were a great division to be in. The rest of y'all put up an amazing fight, but 71 definitely deserved to win. Love ya guys!!!! See ya next year!

~more ppl need to come to the webhug next year...i hardly met neone that i didn't already know.

...i'm sure i will think of some more in the days to come.

ReijiH
04-29-2002, 12:41 AM
First time a team won the championship two years in a row, and also the first time a team won the nationals three times:p I think the game this year was a lot more exciting than the last year's one.
The bad thing was, couple of mis-call on the ruling during qualification matches and the 3-hour long award ceremony, under the hot and humid weather of Florida. Should've kept it nice and short like last year.

Kyle Hill
04-29-2002, 12:24 PM
How to nearly die of heat exhaustion.

Add 2 hours of division playoffs on Einstein, plus an hour of national playoffs on Einstein, plus three hours of listening to speeches made on Einstein. Stir, cook at 90 degrees with high humidity. For an extra zest, make your team wear black cotton work shirts. Serves 50-60 people.

Though I really can't complain, I'm sure it could have been much much much worse.

katie86
04-29-2002, 01:47 PM
Well, I was a driver AGAIN this year. I've never gotten to experience competition from a "non-operator" standpoint. I do have to say that I dreaded walking out to Einstein because, even though I live a mere 3 hours away to the north of Disney, it was HOT. And I don't like hot. When finals came around and I was stuck standing in line to get on stage, I was about ready to fall over. No sleep for 4 days + 90 degrees = passed out. (Even though we lost in the first round of quarterfinals, I was more than happy with how we did in the competition)

Closing ceremony was RIDICULOUS. I love the competition, I love watching the awards being given out, but... I like short and simple. I was sweaty, tired, and sunburned. I really wanted to go to my hotel before the party because, like always, I forgot to bring a change of clothes and I just felt nasty. But seeing as closing ceremony ran about 50 minutes late, I didn't really have that option.

A few bad things, though: I fell down so many times this year that I have bruises up and down my back. When the crates were still in the pits, I was sitting on top of ours and... I jumped off and.. splatted on the ground.

When we got chosen for finals, I jumped out of my seat and did my screaming... but when I went to sit back down, I forgot the seats flip up. I landed in the remains of my salad on the floor. Nice.

On the bus ride back, I was sleeping on the floor and there was an exposed chunk of metal on the bottom of a seat. I lost a nice bit of my big toe to that piece of metal and succeeded in bleeding everywhere.

So it was good. Better than last year because the competition seemed more exciting and my team seemed a lot more spirited. Closing ceremony gets a bit of a thumbs-down from me, especially because of the whole Mandy Moore thing. That had me running out of the stands as fast as I could. Yuck.

Hald of my team didn't get food at the party, either. They were all first year kids, and I told them they had better run or they wouldn't be eating. They didn't listen to me. Heh.

I didn't collect any buttons this year, though :( I was too busy doing other things and then the rest of the time I was just tired.
Some guy from Wisconsin told me I had a Southern accent. Scary.

Alex Forest
04-29-2002, 02:35 PM
The bad thing was, couple of mis-call on the ruling during qualification

Yes, we had this happen to us during a great round with Space Ghost..sorry guys. Made us realize we really hate the no changing the score rule...looking back on video showed that our human player did NOT go over the plexiglass....sorry guys!

E Jones 234
04-29-2002, 03:22 PM
yes, it was hot, yes the food was expensice, and yes the awards ceremony was long, but i still think nationals were awesome! i am a freshman and this was my first year. i got to drive in one of our matches and i was really pleased with our 10th place standing in the qualification matches. i think our team should have been picked for an aliance, but we didnt. thats ok tho, cuz i still had a LOT of fun!

soap108
04-29-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Alex Forest

Yes, we had this happen to us during a great round with Space Ghost..sorry guys. Made us realize we really hate the no changing the score rule...looking back on video showed that our human player did NOT go over the plexiglass....sorry guys!

313/312/108 from Einstein got burned in the Semifinals by a DQ. That pretty much cost us the series.

Also 409/108 got burnt in the quals by a DQ that was not called, then called, then un-called against our opponent. It didn't make a real diff in our ranking, but the principles (and rules) that were broken in the process were disconcerting.

Oh well.
KA-108

p.s. As for the heat, it wasn't as bad as in years past. Also, since '95 I can't recall it ever raining DURING qualifying matches on a Friday or a Saturday, or during the awards ceremony. But there's been times when it was close. Then who can not forget 2001's Thursday practices were there was water all inside the Pit area!!

Kyle Fenton
04-29-2002, 04:19 PM
I rate the nationals the same as last year.

One thing I was surpirsed about though is the fact that there was a big FIRST logo in neon lights on top of Einstein, and it was never lit. Kind of a waste of money.

I think that the nationals were also a little better organized than last year.

Koko Ed
05-03-2002, 02:30 PM
This was my first year on FIRST and if I were going to show someone who has never been to, or heard of the FIRST event I would definately take them to a Regional. I think they capture the spirit of FIRST much better than the Nationals. It's too big, too spread out, too hot, too long, too expensive, TOO MUCH!
I did like going to Disney though.

E Jones 234
05-03-2002, 03:15 PM
i TOTALLY agree with you on that!! Nationals are also a lot more confusing! trying to explain the scoring is much easier at a regional than at nationals. the regionals were almost as much fun, and they would probably be a lot easier for an "outsider" to understand.