PDA

View Full Version : Corporate fundraising

Rickertsen2
09-16-2005, 04:38 PM
What is your teams approach to getting money from coorporations?

Kyle
09-16-2005, 05:08 PM
What is your teams approach to getting money from coorporations?

Our approach, is to do it as often as possible.
Call the business and ask for a person who deals with community outreach or something like that.
Make a nice presentation to e-mail, send in the mail or even demonstrate to the contact person at the business.
Any questions you can PM me and I can give you further help.

GOOD LUCK

Jessica Boucher
09-16-2005, 06:12 PM
I would suggest creating a killer team packet (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=&action=single&paperid=531) to present to your sponsors, but that's just me... :D

mgreenley
09-16-2005, 09:44 PM
When we go to corporations to fundraise, I think that something valuable to your request would be if the corporation has seen your robot compete. Barring that, arrange for a demonstration day. We also have a short video presentation to accompany our robot.
After you recieve a donation, remember to continue to invite your sponsors to your events, or to your shop to see the robot. It's sometimes difficult to catch a sponsors attention, but once you've introduced them to the program and your team, they'll be, hopefully, hooked.
Our team actually produced a DVD/CD, titled "Team In A Box", that addresses different aspects of any team, including fundraising. To request a copy, please visit my team site. On that note, if anyone feels that they have a unique, innovative or out-of-the-box fundraising strategy for situations such as this, please contact my team or myself (PM me, or visit www.team341.com). We're always looking to expand the breadth of what we cover in our DVD.
Hope this helped!

Mike

OZ_341
09-17-2005, 02:03 AM
I would also say to be sure not to focus too much on the machine or your win loss record. Companies want to know that their money is going to a bigger cause, something farther reaching than simply competition.

Focus on what your program does for the kids and the community. We talk a great deal about how money donated to our team goes beyond the members of the team and out to the community.
In terms of the affect on your direct team members, focus on the inspiration, opportunity and changed lives.

This is what gets a company interested! Like everyone else, they want to know that their money is improving their community.

sanddrag
09-17-2005, 11:46 AM
I would also say to be sure not to focus too much on the machine or your win loss record. Companies want to know that their money is going to a bigger cause, something farther reaching than simply competition.
Actually I would tend to disagree. I don't see the teams who come in last every year getting the big bucks, but a lot of the teams who place highly do. Of course, maybe that is attributed to other factors. But anyway, Tide doesn't sponsor a Nascar and tell the drivers to go out there and have fun, they tell them to win. Unfortunately in many companies' and peoples' minds, winning is everything. And I'm not sure how to tell if that is their philosophy or not without straight out asking them (which I wouldn't do). Tell them your team's competition record if you have a good one, if not put even more emphasis on other aspects of the program.

OZ_341
09-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Actually I would tend to disagree. I don't see the teams who come in last every year getting the big bucks, but a lot of the teams who place highly do. Of course, maybe that is attributed to other factors. But anyway, Tide doesn't sponsor a Nascar and tell the drivers to go out there and have fun, they tell them to win. Unfortunately in many companies' and peoples' minds, winning is everything. And I'm not sure how to tell if that is their philosophy or not without straight out asking them (which I wouldn't do). Tell them your team's competition record if you have a good one, if not put even more emphasis on other aspects of the program.

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree, but in all the time I have been fundraising, nobody has ever asked me our win-loss record. However, corporations will quite often GRILL me on what the program is doing for the kids involved.

NASCAR is a very different situation.

If you do have a sponsor that is pushing you to win at all costs they are not in the spirit of FIRST. In the past we have parted company with sponsors that did not get this concept. If you sacrifice in the short term in favor of the goals of FIRST, you will attract the right partners and your team will be better off in the long run.

OZ_341
09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
But then again winning is nice too!! :D

Good luck with your fundraising!!!

Adam Richards
09-17-2005, 02:46 PM
And I'll happily disagree with you. In our rookie year (2004), our team attempted to get our current sponsor (Sun Hydraulics), but they declined because they wanted us to compete first without their help. We got last place at Orlando. In 2005, we approached them again and they basically paid for our entire robot beyond the $6,000 entry fee (extra parts, yards of 80/20, lexan, etc.) and supplied us with engineers and a work area to boot.

Rickertsen2
09-17-2005, 04:09 PM
How do other people normally make the first move? IE: email, telephone, in person visit?

This year we are in major money troubles and lack any central push to raise money. I'm doing what i can but its alot for one person. I am attempting to involve the parents among other things.

There is a very large company which has given to our school in the past. I went to the school administration and asked how to contact them and if anybody at the school had good relations with them. I was given the contact info of a person at that company. How do you recommend that i proceed from here? How much should we be asking for from a company like this?

OZ_341
09-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Our team lost its prime sponsor in 2002. We had 40 kids and almost no money. We have built back up to 5 dedicated sponsors and several grants through a method of carefully targeted contacts. (and selling FIRST....always selling FIRST everywhere we go!!)

I usually try to send a simple email followed closely by a phone call.

It is better to speak with them personally, but the email gives them a warning that you will be calling. That way it is not such a cold call.

As long as you keep it simple you can also send them a link to your site, brochure or a picture in the email. This also helps them to visualize who you are as an organization before you call.

Just be careful not to overload them in the first few contacts.

Also be sure to ask all of your parents where they work. We have received some nice smaller donations by involving parents places of work. Another great source is smaller community or education grants. Many people spend a large amount of time trying for big name grants when there are smaller grants that are easier to apply for and receive right in your local area.

I hope this helps.

Good luck in your search!!