PDA

View Full Version : This is a poll, I want to see what exactly you call yourselves

Flair
07-23-2001, 09:59 PM
Ok, so aside from what everyone calls us (including ourselves) a.k.a. First-a-holics, what else do you call yourselves? I prefer geek, and i've heard nerd is a popular one too. If there isn't your choice in the poll, then just post it! Any comments would be appreciated too! Thanx yall!!
-Flair

Carolyn Duncan
07-23-2001, 10:03 PM
It is my oppinion that everyone has nerd-like tendancies, it's just a matter of how they are shown.
BTW, you misspelled y'all. It's a southern contraction.

Flair
07-23-2001, 10:10 PM
Carolyn,
I know I mispelled it, I did this because if I didn't, then people might think I'm from the South. However, I live in MI, so I can't spell anyway! thanx for the call though!

Carolyn Duncan
07-23-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Flair
Carolyn,
people might think I'm from the South.
What's wrong with being from the south? I've lived in the south my whole life. Yankee!

Flair
07-23-2001, 10:33 PM
I don't think you understood me very well. I was trying to distinct me from people who live in the South. Because I wouldn't want any confusion. It is perfectly fine, in fact my brother is stationed there in the Navy, so I can't say anything bad about the South. Even if I wanted to. Once again, sorry for the confusion

Carolyn Duncan
07-23-2001, 10:40 PM
I don't think you understood me very well. I was trying to distinct me from people who live in the South. Because I wouldn't want any confusion.
Ya know I could really get ya on this one. I think I'll let it slide this time. I'm really just jokin' with ya. I have many friends who are yankees, my dad is one.
Originally posted by Flair It is perfectly fine, in fact my brother is stationed there in the Navy, so I can't say anything bad about the South. Even if I wanted to. Once again, sorry for the confusion
Where is he stationed? If you say a little town in Va. I'll laugh sooooooooo hard. Then, once I catch, my breath I'll explain why.:)

EddieMcD
07-24-2001, 01:36 PM
You realize a geek is one who bites the heads off chickens, right?

That's why I prefer nerd. Plus, when I was about seven, some of the girls used to call me "nerd boy". I look back on that now and laugh.

mike o'leary
07-24-2001, 01:53 PM
i definately have nerd and/or geek-like qualities, but i dont think ive ever been called either. or at least not a whole lot. ive been called crack-head and stuff like that though. and ninny, that too.
mike who was forced to go with other

Carolyn Duncan
07-24-2001, 06:46 PM
Geek was a term originally used to describe circus performers, we now call them freaks.
Oh! Flair, don't worry about the misQ. It happens all the time on the forums beacuse you don't know how a person means for something to be taken. Like when you speak people can hear the inflections in your voice and know if your joking or not. No biggie.

mike o'leary
07-24-2001, 08:07 PM
Geek was a term originally used to describe circus performers, we now call them freaks.

so theres more to the name of the show 'freaks and geeks' then i realized?

Carolyn Duncan
07-24-2001, 09:06 PM
Yep! Sort of a time diff. between then and now.

Flair
07-24-2001, 11:44 PM
Where is he stationed? If you say a little town in Va. I'll laugh sooooooooo hard. Then, once I catch, my breath I'll explain why.

He is stationed in North Carolina, but definently a little town, so you can start laughing!

Lora Knepper
07-25-2001, 04:43 PM

He is stationed in North Carolina, but definently a little town, so you can start laughing!

*twitches* Where in NC?? Now I'm curious ;) My father was in the military, and I was born in good ol' North Carolina - in a rather small town...or, well it was small when we were there. Haven't been back since.

*definately plans to move back south as soon as she's finished with this college thing at RIT*

~ lora

Carolyn Duncan
07-25-2001, 08:43 PM
Well, the little town I was refering to is not so little, I meant to put it in quotes. I was thinking Norfolk because I used to live there. We used to have fun watching people walk by and picking out the Navy people (it was really easy)

patrickrd
07-25-2001, 08:55 PM
geek. and proud of it.

http://www.startateam.com/prd/huge geek.jpg

Patrick
Team 639 - http://www.startateam.com/639/index.php

Pamela
07-25-2001, 10:58 PM
Hehehe, I tell my friends all the time what a geek I am. Heres my list of qualifications:
*used to be in band, automatic band geekdom
*Church choir
*School chorus
*Math Team
*Gateway (gifted and talented blah blah blah)
*Honors and AP classes full schedule next year
*Had so much fun in chem, would stay after to do extra projects and such with teacher.... (blowing stuff up, camera attachment for pictures of the atomic spectra, holograms)
*School to Career "Allstar" (must I say anything else...)
*DI (those people are the only group I've ever seen crazier then FIRSTers
*FIRST ( yeh FIRST) ( captain of a robotics team, man that reeks of geekdom :) hehehe)

And to make it all seem silly, I play soccer at my school and for ODP, making me a jock/geek/weirdo....

Carolyn Duncan
07-25-2001, 11:01 PM
You do all that and play for ODP? Can we say sleep deprived super chick?

Anne Lam
07-26-2001, 12:05 AM
i am a geeky nerd...but nerdy geek works just as well for me

Joe Ross
07-26-2001, 09:26 AM
"100% dork, not from concentrate"

Flair
07-26-2001, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Lora Knepper

*twitches* Where in NC?? Now I'm curious ;) My father was in the military, and I was born in good ol' North Carolina - in a rather small town...or, well it was small when we were there. Haven't been back since.

*definately plans to move back south as soon as she's finished with this college thing at RIT*

~ lora

Well sorry, but I got mixed up. I actually don't travel much on the eastern coast, so that might explain it. Either that, or the fact that I was relying on memory. However, your mention of the town Norfolk, brought it all back. ACTUALLY he is stationed in Norfolk Virginia. Whether that is a small town, I don't know, never been there. But he wants me to go down there sometime. So I might. Well again sorry, my memory isn't what is should be!

A. Leese
07-26-2001, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Joe Ross
"100% dork, not from concentrate"

Go Joe!

~Angela who still her button that says that on her backback

Carolyn Duncan
07-26-2001, 05:10 PM

Well sorry, but I got mixed up. I actually don't travel much on the eastern coast, so that might explain it. Either that, or the fact that I was relying on memory. However, your mention of the town Norfolk, brought it all back. ACTUALLY he is stationed in Norfolk Virginia. Whether that is a small town, I don't know, never been there. But he wants me to go down there sometime. So I might. Well again sorry, my memory isn't what is should be!
*tries to type despite laughing uncontrollably*Norfolk is NOT a small town. It's a pretty sizeable city. There's lots of cool stuff to do there. It has it's areas where most people shouldn't go unless they live there... You know what I mean. One bit of advice, beware MacArthur Center, everything there is WAY to expensive. You should def. go in the little shops downtown, even if they look scary they have cool stuff in them. Another good idea is to take the fairy across to Portsmouth- the real "P-town," despite what Tom says, and check out the downtown area. If you do go visit and what more info just email or pm me. I'm excited now talking about Norfolk because that is home for me.

dwolf
02-26-2003, 04:45 PM
if youre a hacker are you still considered a geek or a nerd?

Katie Reynolds
02-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Pamela
*DI (those people are the only group I've ever seen crazier then FIRSTers Awww, there's no way that DIers are crazier than FIRSTers! :yikes: (I was involved with DI back in the day, when it was still OM!) Anyway, I'm with Joe - I'm definitely a dork! :D

- Katie

FAKrogoth
02-26-2003, 06:54 PM
A geek (other than the freak) is someone with unusual interests.

A nerd is someone with enough intellegence to be automatically be differentiated from the norm.

I'm a nerd, and proud of it.

chellyzee93
02-26-2003, 07:34 PM
:D I am definitely a geek :p

Mike Schroeder
02-27-2003, 08:39 PM
General, i call my self a Freak of Nature, but Geek of Nature works too,

ChewyMasterFlex
02-27-2003, 08:49 PM
How about "Intellectually Distinguished and Technologically Advanced Individual"?

Matt Attallah
02-27-2003, 09:25 PM
I had to choose "Other"

I've been called names that i can't say on CD.com

I have others that i can say...

"Da Grand Master Pimp"
"Schwing"
"Pimp"
"No"

:yikes:

srjjs
02-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Nerd is inextricably linked with math, as well as being a very good candy, so I would have to pick nerd.

evulish
02-27-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by dwolf
if youre a hacker are you still considered a geek or a nerd?

By 'hacker,' are you referring to the definition in the Jargon file or a cracker? Crackers are lame and nothing but rejects. Hackers are geeks/nerds. :)

I, myself, am a geek. I haven't played sports since my parents let me quit elementary-school baseball (forced to play...man, was that bench ever warm!) I was in band from 4th-11th grade. I know the most about computers in my school (even beating out my school's sysadmin...he didn't know what SQL stood for...sheesh :)) I can confuse my entire class in about 10 seconds. And I haven't had a girlfriend...since...uhh...ever :P

I get called a pothead...which is weird...because I'm not.

And pocket protectors FREAKING RULE!

Firewolf
03-01-2003, 09:44 PM
[b]DORK[b]

FotoPlasma
03-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Geek, nerd, dork...

I have no preference.

Computers, electronics, mechanics... it's all great!

/me wanders back to building a fileserver...

Ash
03-02-2003, 02:38 AM
Me, I think geek best works for me... However, the only thing I am ever called is retard, and this is only by my sisters... Gawd I love my family life...:rolleyes:

-Ash

FAKrogoth
03-02-2003, 11:40 AM
I know what siblinghood can be like. My sister calls me "worm." (after Jasper Wormsworth. A cookie for the one who correctly names the source) For a time, some of her friends didn't know my real name. One of them still doesn't . . .

Kyle
03-02-2003, 07:42 PM
I am called a jock by the "nerds" cause i play football and work out
I am called a nerd by the "jocks" cause i have a 3.8-4.0GPA
I am called a geek by the "supernerds" cause im in a Microsoft certification class
I was called a "$@#$@#$@#" by the "jocks cause i was a manger for a cheerleading team(it was great sooooo much fun and Girls everywhere)

But in the end im just Kyle, im not a jock, nerd, geek, or $@#$@#$@#. I like many differant things and have many differant tallents. I dont think we are nerds or geeks, we build robots.

i hope the word "$@#$@#$@#"dosnt upset anyone i dind mean it in a bad way at all

George1902
03-03-2003, 03:23 AM
holy resurrected year and a half old threads, batman!

100% dork, not from concentrate... lol... blast from the past =-]

as for the poll, i forgot what i picked... too long ago.

anyway, i think people who put labels on other people are the dorks.

(and if you didn't think that last line was funny, maybe you should be watching an adam sandler movie or somethin instead of reading my posts... k? =-)

Koko Ed
03-03-2003, 06:37 AM
I'm just plain strange.

Kiwi_queen
03-04-2003, 02:54 PM
well, I'm a band-geek and a choir-nerd already. so lemme choose robo-dork. I can get all the terms in there

Pin Man
03-29-2003, 10:41 PM
I don't know what I call myself...

Melissa H.
03-29-2003, 11:39 PM
I is a geek. :D ...although being a dork would work for me too...

Nick Mac
03-29-2003, 11:40 PM
Definitely a geek!

AlbertW
03-30-2003, 03:27 AM
i'd hafta say geek, though there are some REALLY weird people that call me a "jock" cause i go running every weekend and like soccer

geek qualifications:
i'm in a guys a capella group
i got into show choir
i'm VP on a robotics team
i know how to use linux
i'm on AIM 24/7, even when there's not an internet connection around (can anyone say GPRS? :D)

Kristina
03-30-2003, 03:37 AM
I've been told that I'm a nerd by association.

Translation: The "by association" part comes from all my friends who are engineering majors. Apparently I'm surpressing all of my engineering and science genes (trust me, there's a whole lot of them in my family) for law, politics or something like that. Yet, I still maintain my nerdly roots by being on a robotics team, knowing binary code, and best of all: being the only person on my floor who has duct tape...and being able to fix everyone on the floor's problems with that duct tape. They say they'll convert me by the end of the year, I say never.

Cory
03-30-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Doanie8
being the only person on my floor who has duct tape...and being able to fix everyone on the floor's problems with that duct tape. They say they'll convert me by the end of the year, I say never.

That duct tape came in mighty handy when you broke your light didnt it :D Youll be glad next time you break something that you have some mechanical skills.

/me thinks theyll convert you by the end of the year.

Cory

DarkRedDragon
03-30-2003, 08:41 AM
hmmm... i play bass, i sing in chorus, i know how to cook and ect., i know how to make website, smart as anything, 1300 on sat when i was 13, and mostly i play magic, great game, but it makes you an instant geek, oh well!

Amanda Morrison
04-10-2003, 10:28 PM
I'm a geek, but I'm an English Geek. I don't know what that counts for.