PDA

View Full Version : Multidirectional Wheels Yes or No??


LordBritten
10-02-2005, 06:58 PM
My team is thinking about using Multidirectional Wheels or Omni Wheels.
what do people think about them. if you do not know what they are go to
www.omniwheel.com (http://www.omniwheel.com)
http://www.andymark.biz/am-trick.htm

Ryan M.
10-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Teams have used them with good results in the past. If you want to do the extra work, go for it!

However, my team has never used them. :)

sanddrag
10-02-2005, 07:15 PM
It really depends on the application. What is the game/challenge you are considering them for? What are you trying to do? Turn better? Obtain translational movement without heading direction change? Omni wheels can help you achieve things things but there are some definite downsides as well.

In a square 4 wheeled omni robot, you will only get a maximum of about 70% of the motors' power contributed to moving the robot in the direction it is going. The other 30% is lost due to vector cancellation. But maneuverabily is outstanding, but it doesn't follow that controllabiltiy will be as well. This must be taken into consideration. It will take some good programming and driver practice to be able to maneuver it effectively and accurately.