PDA

View Full Version : Help approaching GM

Rickertsen2
10-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Ok, so this year we are REALLY in need of some money. We are less than 3 miles from the GM Doraville Plant. How do we approach them? I submitted a grant application for $5,000 to the GM foundation, which i believe was reviewed by someone at the doraville plant. I think that if we could somehow arrange a meeting with the proper people in person, we would have a much better chance.

Are there any teams, who have a good relation with GM and might be able to help us find a contact within the Doraville plant?

Jessica Boucher
10-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I did a quick google search for "GM Doraville", and came up with this article:

http://www.georgiaquickstart.org/quickstart/News17/gm.html

I would suggest calling up the plant and asking to speak to the people listed in this article. Also, mention the article - not only will it show that you did some research, but everyone loves flattery. :)

Also, for some help in getting through phone trees and secretaries, follow this link at CollegeGrad: http://www.collegegrad.com/jobsearch/12-0.shtml. Though the site is for job hunters, the same tactics can be used to get in touch with key people within the plant. Good luck!

sanddrag
10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
I've never really done something like this but I wouldn't recommend just calling their general line and asking for the plant manager. They will probably think you are just some kid who is smart enough to find out the manager's name but dumb enough to think he is actually going to take time out of his busy day to talk to you. The receptionist will probably ask who you are, probably will never have heard of you, and inform you that either the manager is in a meeting or that he doesn't take direct calls and you may send a letter. The receptionist will probably never inform the manager that you even called and then sit by the phone waiting for the next person who thinks they'll get a chance to talk to the big important guy in charge.

Instead, I think it would be better to ask to be transfered to the person in charge of community outreach and grant money allocation. Then go from there.

In any case, good luck!

Hieb
10-12-2005, 09:50 PM
If you search for GM and FIRST, they have (or at least had) information about FIRST on their web site and an email link to a corporate contact. That is how our team received our funding last year, but I haven't had any responses to any of my inquiries this year, so I'm not sure if the contact information is still correct.

Beth Sweet
10-13-2005, 07:17 AM
One thing I do want to warn you about is not to put all your eggs in one basket. We tried to get GM sponsorship all last year (Lansing Plant) and we still can't get any contacts. Be sure that you get to a point where you can make it without GM funding because, if nothing else, it will probably take at least a year to get in and sponsored. Good Luck!

dez250
10-13-2005, 09:59 AM
I would suggest everyone who is looking to submit a grant or donation request to GM, to take a look at the following link. It contains all the information you would need, minus direct contacts.

Philanthropic Guidelines (http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/community/guidelines/index.html)