PDA

View Full Version : National Slang...

Quain
04-30-2002, 06:43 AM
Aiight.. this may be weird.. but what the funniest word everyone heard at nationals? Like.. with everyone from so many different regions, theres different words for stuff and different slang, etc... I think definitely any time someone from like the southern half of the said y'all, i cracked up. I couldn't help it.. it sounds so weird. Then I learn about the word, "Donk" that a kid from South Carolina had said... Then there was "saccer" which is supposed to be soccer from a girl from Long Island... haha.. thats just the few i heard, theres probably a lot more!! :D

purplehaze357
04-30-2002, 07:24 AM
you cant forget about hackey now....its actually supposed to be hockey :D

emilywll
04-30-2002, 09:22 AM
The greatest part of the national competition is hearing all the different accents and slang words from around the country, or rather the world.

I have never really thought of myself as having an accent, being from upstate New York. Turns out I had quite a few people tell me that I spoke funny! Kids from the South, Midwest, Canada, even Long Island and the Northeast all told me how nasal my voice was. Upon consideration, I really can tell how different we all sound even though we all speak the same language. None of us talk funny, or weird or strange, just different.

But I do have to say that the Canadian accent had to have been the most entertaining (aboot and aye being my personal favorites).

FIRST is all about acceptence and I am glad that I learned to accept and enjoy people's differences.

purplehaze357
04-30-2002, 09:33 AM
yeah i think theacceptance is unmatched...and meeting new ppl is interesting because you pick their acccent up while at the same time they're trying to figure out where your from....

Its kinda funny that people ask me where im from because ive gotten everything from Texas to New York....i went to Texas for 3 ays and apparently i picked up the accent...

what else is funny is the fact that people think im ghetto....cuz im not....at all and people think because i wore UFO's im ghetto...haha... :D

SkitzoSmurf
04-30-2002, 12:00 PM
I caught my self saying some stuff, and peoplelooked at me weird. I use the word wikked alot, which is a Rhode Island thing I guess. I also used shibby, alot. Watch "Dude Where's My Car" if you haven't heard it yet. My friend got a pair of fake oakleys, and we were arguing over whether they were foakleys, or fakely's. Also I noticed the way Woodie says again. It's like agayn.

Digo
04-30-2002, 12:23 PM
Since I'm from Brazil, all your accents sound the same to me.
But now that you started this subject, I remember a guy who used to say "wadda amma?" and "wadda ula?".

It took us a long time to find out that he was looking for the hammer and the ruler.

Katie Reynolds
04-30-2002, 12:25 PM
Lol there were some survey people that came to our pit area asking about the team party and whether it was worthwhile to have or not. The guy surveying kept saying "party" like 'Pahtee". It was pretty amusing!

Our team stayed until Monday so on Sunday we had a free day. We went go karting at FunSpot and I asked one of the people working there where the bubbler was. I got a really weird look. People at the competition kept asking me where I was from too. Most thought I was from Michigan or Minnesota which isn't too far off...

- Katie

PS: "Bubbler" is Wisconsin slang for drinking fountain

fast frank
04-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SkitzoSmurf
Also I noticed the way Woodie says again. It's like agayn.

yea, he does say it funny. anyone notice how much he says it though? he uses it all the time and it really stands out when he says it

SharkBite
04-30-2002, 03:03 PM
i think its funny seeing the difference team to team in terms of reference to certain things
a few examples are, in the drive station there are two operators, the first one is almost always called the driver, the second one on my team is called the manipulator, ive heard a lot of other stuff
also the "tether device" i heard many different things that people called that..... extenders, "mini me"

srawls
04-30-2002, 03:24 PM
mini-me is my favorite! I officially named our tether device 'mini me' (this was in the design phase, we don't actually have one), and it cought on in our team. I did get a few wierd looks when I asked people if they had a mini-me on their robot, though :rolleyes:

Stephen

Kristina
04-30-2002, 05:51 PM
Although I didn't go to nationals, when I went to a law forum in DC this fall there was ongoing argument on what to call carbonated beverages since everyone was around the country...is it pop...is it coke...is it soda?

I'm from california so I call it soda but I was born in Minnesota where they call it pop.

Jnadke
04-30-2002, 06:26 PM
Anyone who was at the party remember the above, "hey!"

Hehe... but, as Katie said, we had fun going around asking people where the nearest bubbler is. Seems to be a Wisconsin-only thing. We were at MOSI in tampa and one of our girls asked where the bubbler is, the lady went to her collegue and was asking if he knew what a bubbler was. We eventually told them that bubbler = water fountain, but it was funny.

Elgin Clock
04-30-2002, 07:11 PM
Don't forget us; the newly appointed Robo-teers as dubbed by the V.P. of Epcot.

Also for all who know this one.... W.W.D.T.?

Oh one more How can I forget the All American Gun Show that was a team 237 prodigy!

Jeff Rodriguez
04-30-2002, 08:53 PM
is it prononced "beetee" (that's how i say it) or "beeahtee", team 71 that is

Jordan A.
04-30-2002, 08:58 PM
HOTARD

Katie Reynolds
04-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Ogre

"BAY-tee"

- Katie

Joel J
04-30-2002, 09:55 PM
bE (as in bee) and the ti in tick: "bE-ti"

PsychoPhil
04-30-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by srawls
mini-me is my favorite! I officially named our tether device 'mini me' (this was in the design phase, we don't actually have one), and it cought on in our team.

We called it always the "boom" Don't forget about that one...

I got some pretty weird faces while scouting in canada when i was asking "do you have a boom" lol

Yeah, and many people must have been amused by my accent, since i'm here as an exchange student from germany...

but yeah, it's cool to hear different american accents. And I heard a whole lot of 'em...

so long, Phil

Amy Beth
04-30-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Ogre

y don't you ask bill beatty?

It is always a good conversation opener to ask if they call it pop or soda. In socal, most everyone says soda, but many times i will just say coke. Purists will argue that you cannot say coke unless you refer to coca-cola, but the biggest advantage to coke is that everyone knows what you are talking about. I can't tell you how many times i've had someone ask me "What the heck is pop??"
Then of course, one time i met someone i think he was from boston who said "tonic". Any one else heard that one?

My favorite canadianism is hoser. I refuse to classify "eh" as a canadianism because i know too many americans who say it. I say it myself on many occasions.

I also enjoy noticing how people ask questions. Canadians (among others) say "You going to Florida, eh?" whereas Hawaiians and Floridians end with "yah?" New Yorkers will say "Going to Florida, yo?" and of course there's the nonspecific "You going to florida, hm?" What am i missing?

Michael Murphy
05-01-2002, 12:57 AM
I live up kind of near Boston. Most of us don't use tonic either. It's soda. But then there's wikkid, pissah, and bizahh. The letter "r" has no place at the end of a word!

Justin 188
05-01-2002, 01:46 AM
Lol, "aboot"? Personally I don't know anybody who says "aboot"... but practically everybody I know says "eh" whether or not they realize it (myself included) :D

AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Matt
05-01-2002, 10:40 AM
It is pronouced bee-dee :D
My Cleveland accent, love it.

Sparky 3.0 is

Sp-are-kaye three-point-oh

Madison
05-01-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Quain
Then there was "saccer" which is supposed to be soccer from a girl from Long Island... haha.. thats

Ha. :p

People from Long Island do *not* say 'saccer'. It's 'sock-er' all the way. Our neighbors to the north, however, are a different story.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Anne George
05-01-2002, 03:56 PM
To me it is usually soda but I will on occasion call it pop or Tonic. My Aunt always calls it Tonic and I will some times call it sodapop. But it is never Coke unless you want a Coca-Cola and only Coca-Cola not Pepsi. if you want a Pepsi say Pepsi. but that is just me :D

Katie Reynolds
05-01-2002, 05:02 PM
Yea, I always call it "soda" never "pop". I only say "I want a coke" if the soda I am referring to is Coca-Cola ;) I've never heard of soda (overall) being called tonic... strange... :D

- Katie

Joe Matt
05-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Pop is the only way to go with me. Coke and Pepsi are used as brand names only if you buy the brand names (Go to the grocery store and get some Coke)

Quain
05-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Dood.. its Soda all the way.. none of this pop stuff... its sounds so weird... and coke.. is coke... but I never ask for it anyway.. Pepsi is better... anyone ever hear us Philly-ite ever say.. "wood-er" for water.. or for towel.. it sounds like "tail".. i know NY people pronounce each syllable.. tow-el... and u ever notice how no matter who's typing something.. its get translated into your accent.. its kinda funny.. they speak in their slang and it gets mangled gettin translated into yours... but here, i'm a philly brotha.. "Dat jawnt be mad drawn b..." ok.. i don't talk like that... but some people here do.. hah

purplehaze357
05-01-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Quain
Dood.. its Soda all the way.. none of this pop stuff... its sounds so weird... and coke.. is coke... but I never ask for it anyway.. Pepsi is better... anyone ever hear us Philly-ite ever say.. "wood-er" for water.. or for towel.. it sounds like "tail".. i know NY people pronounce each syllable.. tow-el... and u ever notice how no matter who's typing something.. its get translated into your accent.. its kinda funny.. they speak in their slang and it gets mangled gettin translated into yours... but here, i'm a philly brotha.. "Dat jawnt be mad drawn b..." ok.. i don't talk like that... but some people here do.. hah

OMG.....i cant believe this...

Clark Gilbert
05-01-2002, 06:43 PM
My room-mates and i had some funny experiences with accents while we were at Nationals....(pretty funny) (HOSER!)
---DJ knows what i'm talking about :)---

I think here in Indiana we say Beatty as "bay D" (say it like A, B, C, D)

Also here i think that "Coke" is the general term for any type of fountain drink.....i especially hate it when i go to Taco Bell and i say, "I want a medium coke" and then they reply..."Is Pepsi ok?"

:)

D.J. Fluck
05-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Bill and Brian pronounce it Bay-D

Both are nice guys...

And now to the Soda/Coke/Pop

I only drink Dew...so its all "Dew" to me

Finally ya Hoser

Hoosiers can fake some good accents like i proved,

Amy Beth
05-01-2002, 09:44 PM
a friend of mine moved to georgia for a year....he went to a grocery store and someone asked him "You fixin' ta use that buggy?", referring to a grocery cart

Quain
05-02-2002, 09:38 AM
hahaha.. thats awesome... "buggy" for a cart... thats hilarious... in this day and age people still say buggy... crazy georgians...

SharkBite
05-02-2002, 08:14 PM
i dont know if anyone else met the british team in new york.... but i got a kick out of the way they pronounced "aluminum" it sounded like "all-yoo-min-e-um"

srawls
05-02-2002, 09:16 PM
hahaha! yes!!! i agree with you sharkbite, it's hilarious when they say aluminum. i wasn't at new york, and didn't meet the british team, but i've heard it on junk yard wars before, and it cracks me up everytime :)

Stephen

Erin Rapacki
05-03-2002, 12:59 PM
A girl with a group of her friends, all from alabama, asked us how we say "syrup" and "liscense." Being from New-England, we said those words like we normally do, and that girl was so happy because she pronounces those words the same way we did. But, she gets made fun of in HER town because of her lack of a southern accent. I dunno, that was just one hilarious conversation.

ByE

erin

Amy Beth
05-04-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Erin Rapacki
A girl with a group of her friends, all from alabama, asked us how we say "syrup" and "liscense."

How do you all say "syrup"? "See-rup" or "ser-up"? I personally say it "see-rup" (isn't that how it's spelled?), but i don't normally notice that one.

Michael Murphy
05-04-2002, 01:17 AM
I say ser-up.

And also, does anyone else get noticed because their accent is extreme? Even the people i work with notice my accent- it's that bad. I am nearly incapible of pronouncing the letter "r" at the end of a word.

Erin Rapacki
05-04-2002, 12:03 PM
yea, we said it 'see-rup'

Joe Matt
05-04-2002, 12:28 PM
sur-up

Trashed20
05-04-2002, 01:17 PM
Me and a friend made up the kewlest word. I swear that it will sweap the country. This summers coolest fad!

The word is Crack
and here is the equation
Cra zy + wack = Crack!

we made this up after we went on the rockin' roller coaster. it was off the Crizzak yo!

I know i suck but hey, still havin fun

Amy Beth
05-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Trashed20
Me and a friend made up the kewlest word. I swear that it will sweap the country. This summers coolest fad!

The word is Crack
and here is the equation
Cra zy + wack = Crack!

A friend of mine went to Northern Ireland last summer. They say "crack" for fun. Having so much crack out here.

Anne George
05-04-2002, 10:55 PM
How do you all say "syrup"? "See-rup" or "ser-up"?
I actually say it sur-rup
And also, does anyone else get noticed because their accent is extreme? Even the people i work with notice my accent- it's that bad. I am nearly incapible of pronouncing the letter "r" at the end of a word.
oh I get noticed so much and i dont really have that much of an accent like i say beer, bare, and bear the same and my friends make fun of me for it but it is just the mixture of accents that they are hearing ( i moved to NH from Wrenthem Mass. when I was 3, my dad is from Boston and my mom is from Concord Mass);)

GregT
05-05-2002, 10:59 AM
Another note on the lovely brithish:

"So your able to grab 2 nets?"

AHH NETS? It took me 10 seconds to figure out he ment goals :) it was in the queue line too... maybe stress impared my ability to figure out what goals were called in other countries.

Matt Attallah
05-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Syr-up. My father is foreign, and it is funny to listen to him. He is arabic, and speaks english very, very well, but he still can't prounonce words correctly. Like ambulance, he chops it up to a slurr. It is great! :p :D

purplehaze357
05-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by AmyBeth330

How do you all say "syrup"? "See-rup" or "ser-up"? I personally say it "see-rup" (isn't that how it's spelled?), but i don't normally notice that one.

ima see-rup myself...but i hear ser-up all over the place :)

Katie Reynolds
05-05-2002, 02:48 PM
SUR-up. My friends make fun of me all the time for that. I have a very werid, faint accent. I was orn and lived in (lower) Michigan til I was 7, so I had the Michigan accent (not the UPer one, the normal one!) then mixed with my MI accent was the WI accent (or lack thereof) ... but my dad's side of the family is from New York! So some words I say with a NY accent: AR-njuh (orange) dahg(dog).. some Michigan baygh (bag), raygh (rag) melk (milk) bay-ghel (bagel)... and the rest is normal Wisconsin... haha, I am so strange.

- Katie

Jnadke
05-05-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Katie_93
SUR-up. My friends make fun of me all the time for that. I have a very werid,

Hmm... I do most of those same things... never really noticed it... (yea... i say sur-up).

But... accents tend to be fun.

purplehaze357
05-05-2002, 08:41 PM
wooter or wa-ter...

Anne George
05-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Wa-ter

Joe Matt
05-05-2002, 10:08 PM
wa-der

Greg Ross
05-06-2002, 01:44 AM

Well, of course SUR-up is the right way, and SEAR-up is common enough. But does anyone really say SEE-rup?;)

BTW, why is it that you can't phonetically spell the short i sound in SEAR-up with an "i" without it coming out pronounced SUR-up?:confused:

English is such a strange language.:rolleyes:

Quain
05-06-2002, 10:01 AM
I've heard a few SEE-rups around. But nothin beats philly wooder.... (water) but yea.. english is real odd... but i still love it

Amy Beth
05-06-2002, 02:53 PM
I say with a NY accent: AR-njuh (orange) dahg(dog).. some Michigan baygh (bag), raygh (rag) melk (milk) bay-ghel (bagel)... and the rest is normal Wisconsin... haha, I am so strange.

dahg...how is that unusual? In California dialect there is no difference between "ah" and "aw"....for example, the vowels in "hot" and "dog" are pronounced exactly the same....none of this "hat dowg" stuff. BTW.....are "bayg" "rayg" "flayg" "melk" and "pellow" michigan? i have two or three friends that consistently say those (all born and raised in socal), and i had no idea where those came from. Also..."bay-ghel" is not unusual...is it? i don't think i've ever heard it pronounced any other way.

Other quick questions....do you write with a "pen" or a "pin?"
And do you send letters in "envelopes" "invelopes" or "onvelopes"?
Is your greatest fear "nuclear" war or "nucular" war?
what do you call your grandparents?
do you write "grey" or "gray"?
do you eat "donuts" or "doughnuts"?

Quain
05-06-2002, 06:56 PM

Here in Philly its.. -
Pen
Envelopes
Nuclear
Grandmom/Grandpop but my nephew calls my 'rents mom-mom & pop-pop
Grey.. *i think?*
and Donuts.. but thats thanks to the simpsons.. haha

I have a tad of NY accent in me thx to my vacation house.. there's so many NY people there.. haha

FRANK(WGH)
05-07-2002, 02:29 PM
HERE'S ONE I BET NO ONE WILL FORGET.
AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU KNOW FROM CANADA:D :D

Jeff Waegelin
05-07-2002, 07:36 PM
I would think it would be Ehhhhhh!!!, but that's just my thoughts.

As to how to say bagel, I say it bay-gel, but I know some people that say it bah-gel (like the word bag, but with "el" at the end). I also know quite a few people that say "melk" and "pellow." I don't know if that's considered a "michigan accent", but I do live in Michigan and know a few people that do that (but not me).

Katie Reynolds
05-08-2002, 01:14 PM

dahg...how is that unusual? In California dialect there is no difference between "ah" and "aw"....for example, the vowels in "hot" and "dog" are pronounced exactly the same....none of this "hat dowg" stuff. BTW.....are "bayg" "rayg" "flayg" "melk" and "pellow" michigan? i have two or three friends that consistently say those (all born and raised in socal), and i had no idea where those came from. Also..."bay-ghel" is not unusual...is it? i don't think i've ever heard it pronounced any other way.

I guess I should say that I say "bag-ghel" instead of "bay-ghel"

I write with a "pen"
I send letters in "envelopes"
My fear is "New-cle-ar" weapons
Grandma and grandpa on my mom's side, Nana and Papa on my dad's side
I write "Grey"
I eat "doughnuts"

:P

- Katie

Jnadke
05-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Hmmm... certainly nothing strange about that. Nothing that I know of anyways...

There really aren't any idioms that I use... except for 'bubbler'.

pen.
envelopes.
nuclear.
grandma/grandpa
gray.
donut.

Melancholy
05-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Long Islanders do NOT have accents! It's everyone else, I swear! Yeah, so some guy found out I was from Long Island and he's like "Come on, say hot dahg. Come on! Say it!" So I say hot dog the way it's SUPPOSED to be pronounced, and he repeats back to me "Hahaha! Hot dawg!! That's so funny!" and he was having the time of his life from it but i just dont get it...

Katie Reynolds
05-16-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Melancholy
Long Islanders do NOT have accents! It's everyone else, I swear! Yeah, so some guy found out I was from Long Island and he's like "Come on, say hot dahg. Come on! Say it!" So I say hot dog the way it's SUPPOSED to be pronounced, and he repeats back to me "Hahaha! Hot dawg!! That's so funny!" and he was having the time of his life from it but i just dont get it...

They do so! It's people in Wisconsin without accents! People go to school to learn to speak like us! :p

- Katie

Ricky Q.
05-17-2002, 11:25 AM

They do so! It's people in Wisconsin without accents! People go to school to learn to speak like us! :p

- Katie

Thats right, so leave us and our bubblers alone! :p Go Brewers!!1

Vincendini
05-19-2002, 11:53 PM
Dang, yo! This is hella khoo. You guys at Pontiac High know how to make a bomb-azz site. Gettin' all these people together to write in your forum. All I can say is that the San Francisco Bay Area is the only place you hear the word "hella". So yeah, ya' better recognize... Anyone know where Ghettoville, USA is? Some of this is true...figure out what is not. Some of it is just to add some kick to it.:D

Amy Beth
05-20-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Vincendini
All I can say is that the San Francisco Bay Area is the only place you hear the word "hella". So yeah, ya' better recognize

it may have started in SF but lately i hear a hella ppl saying it around here.

MBiddy
05-21-2002, 05:18 PM
HEJUS SHAVIT UP BISSAZ!!

Quain
05-21-2002, 05:25 PM
yea.. i say hella occassionally, its not a Cali word..

Chubtoad
05-21-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Melancholy
Long Islanders do NOT have accents! It's everyone else, I swear!

He is ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT! Long Islanders DO NOT have ACCENTS!!
You go to the bronx, yes they have accents, you go to Maine, they hace accents, a little bit of one in Philly, but in LI NO ACCENT!
NONE! PURE ENGRISH(haha) The only word EVER that I have heard a constant accent on is "HA MLET" OTHERWISE no ACCENT!
So go park the car by the waterside with no accent!

Amy Beth
05-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Chubtoad

So go park the car by the waterside with no accent!

yah... then toodle over to the cahworsh. Ya Honder's bin settin undra tree.

Elgin Clock
05-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Hella Good!! That comes from No Doubt's new song. It is a Cali. thing I guess since they are from Orange County!

asher
05-27-2002, 08:58 PM
yall think us okies have an accent maybe? well i dont, really i promise, but some people i know are hicks to the core, it cracks me up,

ashley

Katie Reynolds
05-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I'll occassionally say 'hella good' or 'hella cool'... heh heh

- Katie

Quain
05-29-2002, 06:33 AM
Hicks amuse me... yeehaw