PDA

View Full Version : Judging a book by its cover

sanddrag
10-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Why shouldn't a book be judged by its cover. For example, you'd probably all turn away if I typed my whole message in this color without even reading what I have to say.

For me, I see the cover as a selling point. Like why do they put hot models wearing only grams of clothing and big headlines like "Jessica tossed the ring!" or whatever on the covers of magazines. To attract people and get you to open it up because you know there will be more inside.

If authors have something inside their book truly worthy of my time, they should do their best to sell me on it before I even open it up. Besides, it is human insiting to focus on the one that stands out most out of a lineup.

That's my opinion. What's your's.

Denman
10-25-2005, 06:59 AM
interesting opinion.
I guess it depends on the book, i mean if it was a big book on calculus you were suggested to buy from a lecturer you wouldn''t judge it by its cover you would see whats inside....

Ryan M.
10-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I agree with you, sanddrag. It may be a great book on the inside, but I'm not likely to get that far if something about it doesn't appeal to me.

KenWittlief
10-25-2005, 03:35 PM
the idea is the cover is appearance

and the content is whats really important.

look at it the other way. Someone could write an awful book, but spend a lot on the cover to market and sell it.

Wetzel
10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Ken hit it dead on. The same goes for you. When you meet someone new, you instantly start forming opinions on them based on their apperance. The inital impression forms alot of the deeper thoughts and opinions that develop (or if they do).

When you shop for a book in the store, the cover might attract your eye the same way a well done resume will attract HR eyes. Or at least, junky ones get passed over quickly in this age of readly available templates.

Wetzel

MissInformation
10-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Covers are meant to attract. But if you buy the book based completely on the cover, you will read some really boring books. And if you avoid all books that have plain covers, you'll miss reading some really good books.

If you think all books should be judged by their covers, does this mean you think all people should be judged by their appearance? And all things? A beautiful smile can hide an evil heart and the prettiest mushrooms are often the deadliest mushrooms in the forest.

I think flashy covers are meant to deceive, to trick the mind into thinking it got something better than what it actually got. I prefer something simpler, something more honest.

Heidi