PDA

View Full Version : Encryption Cracking Talk.

Joe Johnson
01-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Can I ask a favor? I really wish folks would stop talking about cracking the encryption on the PDF files.

I don't think it is appropriate to talk about trying to crack the encryption in public.

The reasons are complex but they boil down to my mom not being able to judge just how secure things are and she just assumes that if folks say they are trying (or could be trying), some fraction of them must be succeeding.

I am convinced that there is too little at stake for anyone to actually put the resources needed to crack this code in time to be of use (if it is possible at all*), but that does not mean that the integrity of the system is not damaged by such talk and my mom's misunderstanding.

Try to crack the code if you must, knock yourself out, head down the very bowels of the internet and find that guy claiming to have KGB ties and the double secret Coder Cracker Hacker discovered by Satan himself, run the code (if you think you can trust him), live the life...

...just don't talk about it on ChiefDelphi.com.

My mom may be reading these messages and I don't want to waste my time explaining to her how unlikely it is that Satan has taken up C coding in his spare time ;-)

Am I being unreasonable here?

Joe J.

*Let's leave aside the question of what the code cracking hardware the full faith and credit of the this or that gov't may have access to -- we're not talking about state secrets here.

mechanicalbrain
01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Can I ask a favor? I really wish folks would stop talking about cracking the encryption on the PDF files.

I don't think it is appropriate to talk about trying to crack the encryption in public.

The reasons are complex but they boil down to my mom not being able to judge just how secure things are and she just assumes that if folks say they are trying some must be succeeding. I believe that there is too little at stake for anyone to actually put the resources needed to crack this code in time to be of use if it is possible at all,* but that does not mean that the integrity of the system is not damaged by such talk and my mom's misunderstanding.

Try to crack the code if you must, knock yourself out, head down the very bowels of the internet and find that guy claiming to have KGB ties and the double secret coder cracker hack discovered by Satan himself, run the code if you think you can trust him, live the life...

...just don't talk about it on ChiefDelphi.com.

My mom may be reading these messages and I don't want to waste my time explaining to her how unlikely it is that Satan has taken up C coding in his spare time ;-)

Am I being unreasonable here?

Joe J.

*Let's leave aside the question of what the code cracking hardware the full faith and credit of the this or that gov't may have access to -- we're not talking about state secrets here.

Ditto to everything above. I would like to reference the thread (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41200) I created about conduct. Come on people lets keep these threads clean and friendly! This seems to be a recurring problem and obviously its not everyone but so far 2 threads were shutdown just because of what Dr. Joe talked about, lets leave it at that.

Andrew Blair
01-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Well, if you can't help it, Just do this: Try and enter the decryption test code, and when it doesn't work, give and after realizing the futility of the matter.

"2006DecryptTest" baby!

But really, we've already got something to talk about; According to the robot transportation pdf, you have to ship the battery's with the robot this year.

phrontist
01-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Have people discussed this on CD? I haven't noticed it.

Reminds me of a joke:

An engineer goes in a motel. In the middle of the night, he wakes up and realize the curtain is on fire. He looks around and sees a flask of water in the corner. He picks it up and drops the water on the curtain, neutralizing the fire but creating a mess.

The next day, a physicist goes in the same motel. In the middle of the night, the physicist wakes up and realizes the curtain are on fire. The physicist looks around and sees a flask of water in the corner. He takes out a piece of paper and a pencil and start calculating what is the minimal amount of water he needs to extinguish the fire. He drops that amount on the fire, extinguishing the flames.

The next day, a mathematician goes in the same motel. In the middle of the night, the mathematician wakes up and realizes the curtain are on fire. The mathematician panics and looks around. The mathematician sees a flask of water in the corner. He then says : "Thank god, a solution exits!". He then goes back to bed. ;)

Seekthematrix
01-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I know this is a little late since we all got the encryptian key, but what were you worrying about. you would need liek a super computer at least to crack that encrypti

Have people discussed this on CD? I haven't noticed it.

Reminds me of a joke:

An engineer goes in a motel. In the middle of the night, he wakes up and realize the curtain is on fire. He looks around and sees a flask of water in the corner. He picks it up and drops the water on the curtain, neutralizing the fire but creating a mess.

The next day, a physicist goes in the same motel. In the middle of the night, the physicist wakes up and realizes the curtain are on fire. The physicist looks around and sees a flask of water in the corner. He takes out a piece of paper and a pencil and start calculating what is the minimal amount of water he needs to extinguish the fire. He drops that amount on the fire, extinguishing the flames.

The next day, a mathematician goes in the same motel. In the middle of the night, the mathematician wakes up and realizes the curtain are on fire. The mathematician panics and looks around. The mathematician sees a flask of water in the corner. He then says : "Thank god, a solution exits!". He then goes back to bed. ;)