PDA

View Full Version : What Foreign language did/are you taking in High School?

Tom Fairchild
07-26-2001, 01:49 PM
Another thread got off topic and started talking about this, so I got curious. Personally I've taken 4 years of spanish and absolutely love it.

~Tom~

Anne Lam
07-26-2001, 03:43 PM
no hablo espa˝ol...It's French II for me next school year. It was great because I had a 'French buddy' (a third year French student) on my team and we spoke whatever French we knew to each other. By the end of robotics season, my teacher had noticed that my French was improving and spoke French with more fluency that I ever had before. Thanks buddy!

Kyle Fenton
07-26-2001, 04:05 PM
I hated Spanish. After two years of it, I had enough of it. That was the class that always kept me off high honors. There are too many cojingations (regular, past, future, imperfect, reflexive, por & para, command, and probably a billion other conjingations that I totally forgot about) + all the vocab, and reading them in sentences like la charcha de azul "the shirt blue" Can't they just say the Blue Shirt. Anyways, I just sick of it. Anyways I wondered that I am most likely not going to use Spanish regularly, and + they are now working on voice translators. Like the IBM commercial with the girl talking to those executive in Russian about the lost package.

But hey some people love it. And it learning any kind language will most likely come in handy one day. For example it would have been good if you could communicate with the Canada teams in French instead of English. If you could speak Portuguese, (very similar to Spanish) than you can communicate with the Brazilian team.

So it has its advantages.

A. Leese
07-26-2001, 04:30 PM
I took three years of Spanish. My mom teaches Spanish and really wanted me to. I live in Florida and SO many people speak it down here that it's nice to know it. I agree that it is really confusing, but I didn't mind it too much (although you may notice that I only took up to three..and my school offers Spanish 1-6 and both of the APs). I also knew it's a good thing to have if you want any sort of a customer-service job down here (that and many people who come through the ER where I volunteer only know Spanish and I can help up to a point in translating for them).

~Angela who hasn't taken Spanish since freshman year

EddieMcD
07-26-2001, 05:14 PM
I took Spanish last year, but didn't have room for it this year. This coming year, I have Spanish 2 set.

Estoy El Sacerdote Grande!

Carolyn Duncan
07-26-2001, 06:03 PM
I took 6 years of German. It wasn't bad. As far as conjugations go, there were soooo many plus you have weak and strong verbs. When it comes to cases YIKES! There are 16 different "the" words. In German you also say stuff like Es geht mir gut - It goes me good instead of I'm well. I really like it though because so few people actually know it. When I go somewhere and someone bothers me I can tell them off in German and they have no clue. When I was in 5th grade we had to take Spanish. Since everyone in my class really disliked our teacher we kicked the teacher out and stopped taking it.

Bill Gold
07-26-2001, 06:04 PM
I took french 3 of my 4 years in HS. I took it instead of spanish, because I didn't want to look like an idiot in front of all the native spanish speakers at my school. I really like french, and I plan to continue taking french courses.

But i took Latin my freshman year...

Joe Ross
07-26-2001, 06:15 PM
I took Latin.

My sister on the other hand, is taking (or has taken) Latin, Spanish, and ASL.

Lora Knepper
07-26-2001, 06:38 PM
In middle school I had a half year spanish/half year french (one of those intro courses) and then advanced French I.

In high school, they forced me into advanced French II...but by the end of that I had had quite enough. So I tried Latin I my sophomore year.....then just gave up and took tech drafting the year after ;)

~ lora

A. Leese
07-26-2001, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Joe Ross
I took Latin.

My sister on the other hand, is taking (or has taken) Latin, Spanish, and ASL.

I was wondering if any other schools besides mine offer ASL

~Angela who was going to take ASL but figured her mom would get mad if she didn't take Spanish

David Kelly
07-26-2001, 07:30 PM
in middle school i took german for 2 years, i about failed it. passed with a D-. in high school i took spanish for 2 years. i about failed it. passed with a D-. so to me all foreign languages SUCK!!!!

Lora Knepper
07-26-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by littlefish180

As far as colleges go, RIT offers ASL because of NTID (National Technical Institute for the Deaf). So it's nice to have both hearing and deaf people on campus to be able to communicate with each other.

My 4th grade teacher taught us quite a bit of it, but unfortunately I've forgotten just about all of it except the alphabet....

~ lora

Joel J
07-26-2001, 08:19 PM
The two years I have been in high school I have taken Chinese. Though it is an interesting language, I can't remember anything I learn. Always got a B for my quarter grade, but always got a D- for the exams (mid-term, final).

Carolyn Duncan
07-26-2001, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by David Kelly
in middle school i took german for 2 years, i about failed it. passed with a D-. [/B]
My German 1 teacher was great! All we had to do was listen to his war stories and laugh at his jokes and we got an "A". We would turn in our quizes and ask how it looked, he would say go back and look over this. He would basically pin point the prob. and help you untill you figured it out. Most people had better than 100% due to extra credit (it was middle school so EC. was a normal thing)

Anne Lam
07-26-2001, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Lora Knepper

As far as colleges go, RIT offers ASL because of NTID (National Technical Institute for the Deaf). So it's nice to have both hearing and deaf people on campus to be able to communicate with each other.

~ lora

My friend is hard of hearing and she has taught me quiet a bit of ASL. It was always funny to sign to her across the room, making all these big silent gestures followed by sudden bursts of LOUD laughters then having people look at us like we were crazy. She will be attending RIT in the fall of 2002 to study mechanical engineering. Although her school didn't have a robotics team, she got really interested when i told her about it. I hope she'll look more into FIRST and possibly get involved with a team there.

Pamela
07-26-2001, 11:42 PM
i'm going into my 5th year of French next year... i hate the language, but love the country, I hope I go back soon :)

Karl
07-26-2001, 11:53 PM
Linguam Latina magnum bona est. Quod, Multi Homines non dicent. Mihi magistra non compis mentis erat. I also took English, which is a foreign language since I live in the United States.

-Karl, who probably mangled the grammer in that post, and who stole the "add a little explanatory clause at the end of your signature" idea.

P.S: French inhales audibly! There's a reason Rome conquered the Gauls, they were too busy sticking random vowels into stuff. Now, aplease excuse me before the French-speakers lynch me. :)

Manoel
07-27-2001, 12:24 AM
As a foreign language, I've been taking English since like, 2nd grade (I'm at 10th now), and Spanish from 2nd grade to 5th grade, and now this year... Which is a bad thing, since I don't like Spanish very much, and never had a good teacher. And before someone asks, YES, English is a foreign language (Brazil, baby! :D)

'

Karl
07-27-2001, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Manoel
As a foreign language, I've been taking English since like, 2nd grade (I'm at 10th now), and Spanish from 2nd grade to 5th grade, and now this year... Which is a bad thing, since I don't like Spanish very much, and never had a good teacher. And before someone asks, YES, English is a foreign language (Brazil, baby! :D)
'

Hey, mind if I ask how to say "Excuse me, (sir/maam), where is the restroom" in Portugese?:)

Manoel
07-27-2001, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Karl

Hey, mind if I ask how to say "Excuse me, (sir/maam), where is the restroom" in Portuguese?:)

It is "Com licenša, onde fica o banheiro?"... I don't know if "š" will show up on your computers, since you don't have that letter. It sounds like an Spanish "z"
Oh, and no need for sir/ma'm, "excuse me" is polite enough... :D

'

Jessica Boucher
07-27-2001, 06:39 AM
Wooooo! French V is AWESOME!

Esp if you have a cool teacher thats an arts/humanities/news buff. We would watch movies every week, and then go into The pre/post WWII theatre...like "La Cantatrice Chauve" (Bald Headed Soprano, by Ionesco) and "Huis Clos" (No Exit, awesome story about 3 people in Hell). That teacher was the only one who could convince you to have enough guts to attempt a critical film review of "Madame Bovary" in French (another awesome book).

This year I'll be taking French 2nd semester & eventually be taking Japanese.

-Jessica B

"L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell, it is the others, Huis Clos, 1945-something)

Joe Ross
07-27-2001, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by littlefish180

~Angela who was going to take ASL but figured her mom would get mad if she didn't take Spanish

Sign Language isn't offerered at the school, but my sister is taking it at a community college and getting credit for it.

Lora Knepper
07-27-2001, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Anne Lam

She will be attending RIT in the fall of 2002 to study mechanical engineering. Although her school didn't have a robotics team, she got really interested when i told her about it. I hope she'll look more into FIRST and possibly get involved with a team there.

Anne,

Well, if the people heading to RIT this year, combined with last year's crew are any indication, RIT's team will be around for a good many more years to come ;) If she wants any info, you can pass on my email lknepper@mail.rit.edu and Matt Leese would be happy to answer any questions too I'm sure. I hope to see her on campus in 2002 :cool:

~ lora
Tigerbolt Homepage - still there but being renovated! (http://www.rit.edu/~us1stwww) :p

Matt Leese
07-27-2001, 01:42 PM
There should be a team at RIT well into the future. We're going to try and be more visible this year (on the RIT campus) than we were last year. So hopefully we shouldn't be hard to find. If anyone ever has trouble finding us, inquire with the College of Engineering (not one of the departments, the whole thing; they know about us).

Matt

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 03:42 PM
i started french in 1st grade...im now fluent in it and somehow managed to skip french ap...dont really know how i did that but i went from french iv to french v, even though french ap's supposed to in between the two.

Carolyn Duncan
07-27-2001, 03:44 PM
Taking AP after five is a much better way to go. I took AP first and regreted it. The exams inhale audibly.

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 03:47 PM
no im not taking ap
and the schools class description thing says that french 5 is for student who complete french ap in theyre junior year.

Carolyn Duncan
07-27-2001, 03:51 PM
That's dumb. The whole point of AP is to get college credit for the language. It's supposed to be the final class. Who'd want to take more of the language after the AP?

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 03:54 PM
i dunno? if youre in french ap when youre a junior its probably cuz you like the language though

Carolyn Duncan
07-27-2001, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by mike o'leary
i dunno? if youre in french ap when youre a junior its probably cuz you like the language though
Have you ever taken an AP? They will really turn you off to a class you may have really liked.

Anne Lam
07-27-2001, 03:57 PM
Thanks Matt and Lora. My friend is actually in NY right now visiting the RIT campus. I will be sure to the pass along the message and show her this thread. :)

Leon Machado IV
07-29-2001, 11:44 PM
I slept through two years of Spanish at my high school and decided to drop my third year because suddenly I couldn't remember as much as the teacher wanted. I got to college and they were gonna allow me to skip Spanish I and go right into Spanish II. I decided (because it had been a couple years since I had taken the language, originally taking them freshman and sophomore year) to take both Spanish I & II. I survived Spanish I and barely escaped Spanish II. I would've hated to see how I would have done had I not taken Spanish I in college.

Carolyn Duncan
07-30-2001, 09:03 PM
An idea came up in the old forums about C++ being considered a foreign language. I think it's a smart idea.

mike o'leary
07-31-2001, 05:36 PM
hmmm...c++ as a foreign language...i dont see why it isnt already

Carolyn Duncan
07-31-2001, 09:00 PM
Someone else voted German. Who was it? I'm really curious. Tell me please! :p