PDA

View Full Version : FIRST-er's dirty laundry

Carolyn Duncan
07-26-2001, 07:36 PM
In the Friday the 13th thread this was brought up so I thought that I'd break away and start something new. Aconversation was started about "dirty litle secrets" does anyone have any they want to share? I sorta aleready let one slip (with Tom's help). I know Flair eluded to wanting to post some. Just everybody remember the rules and that this is a family site.

Tom Fairchild
07-26-2001, 09:37 PM
Hmmm... I'm kind of wondering as to who's going to be daring enough to actually post here. All I'm going to say is that 20 oz. diet cokes do interesting things when shaken up and thrown out of a 9 story window. Explodes on impact.

~Tom~, who has some interesting memories from Philly.

Tom Schindler
07-26-2001, 10:11 PM
this isn't really a *dirty little secret*, but a *dirty little secret fantasy* a few of the kids on our team had a few years ago.... anyone who has stayed at all star movies in florida has seen the Herbe car.... the one that is out on the steps near the pool... well the team wanted to pick it up and toss it in to teh pool... that would have been one dirty not so little not so secret thing to do :)

needless to say it never happened for a multitude of reasons, mainly the fact it was chained down when we couldn't find the dremel :)

Tom

Matt Leese
07-27-2001, 08:41 AM
Let me just say that putting epoxy in the microwave to dry is not a good idea...... ;)

Matt

Tom Fairchild
07-27-2001, 10:07 AM
My team stayed in All Star sports or music for 2000 before I was on the team. I've heard wispers about kids driving the extended golf carts that the employees use......

~Tom~, who would never do such a thing!
<--- perfect angel! ;)

Karl
07-27-2001, 10:25 AM
I categorically deny any and all rumors that I know anything at all about almost setting the Holiday Inn Astrodome on fire.
Special Note: Don't anger the Disney cops. Errr....not that I know anything about that...:D

EddieMcD
07-27-2001, 12:36 PM
Hi, I'm Ed, and I'm a pyromaniac.

Pyros rule!

Note: Never light a match under hydrogen.

Karl
07-27-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by EddieMcD
Hi, I'm Ed, and I'm a pyromaniac.

Pyros rule!

Note: Never light a match under hydrogen.

You see, the good news is that hydrogen floats, so you won't get burned. It's a shame that ceilings are flammable, though...:(

Carolyn Duncan
07-27-2001, 01:54 PM
I deny getting lectured in the hallway by a hotel security guard for blocking my door open while I had bleach in my hair at the VCU regional last year.
I also think that the pics held by team 122 of the blonde chick with the computer dude are forged and it's really not me.

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 02:35 PM
oh my...dirty secrets...i dont even know where to start...

how about one time at the umass physics lab...did you know that the umass campus security people are state cops? some rambots found that out the hard way, with a citation for disturbing the peace.

A. Leese
07-27-2001, 02:59 PM
Much to my surprise..my team really doesn't have anything that we've done..I don't think..'cept I think the guys got in trouble with the Disney security people for making tons of noise playing video games in their rooms last year at nats..

~Angela who thought there was something someone did one time but she can't remember what it was at the moment

Pamela
07-27-2001, 03:52 PM
the holiday inn family suites rooms down in disney with blue rings in the bath tubs and multi-colored towels that are supposed to be white...... yeh , my team didn't dye our hair down there, noooo way josie :rolleyes:

Karl
07-27-2001, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by littlefish180
Much to my surprise..my team really doesn't have anything that we've done..I don't think..'cept I think the guys got in trouble with the Disney security people for making tons of noise playing video games in their rooms last year at nats..

I'm telling you, it's NEVER a good idea to anger the Dsiney Cops. EVER. Err, not that I would know or anything...

Lora Knepper
07-27-2001, 04:52 PM
Oh, I have lots of them ..... :p But here's one from my days with team 69.

Where? - Crowne Plaza, Hartford, CT
When? - UTC New England Regional 2000
Who? - The two in this picture are 1 Gillette Machinist, and 1 Gillette Engineer ;) Though the pit crew was in the middle of it too.
Why? - Who knows! But the floor smelled like Gillette shaving cream for days....

http://www.rit.edu/~ljk4859/photos/crowne_plaza.jpg

Oh and Tom, should you tell about the "Invisible Dog Incident" or should I? :p Had to be one of the funnier moments with team 177.

~ lora

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 06:43 PM
if you go to the old forums, shortly after this years utc comp theres a bunch of posts somewhere regarding anton and some other engineers and some dirty laundry...

mike who still hasnt seen the video of that night

David Kelly
07-27-2001, 08:52 PM
i already gave away our teams secret. http://66.78.36.159/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=217

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 09:10 PM
hmmm...other rambot secrets...dont know if weve actually kept any. but i know theres other stuff weve done.
ah i got one...a classic. i went to pick up some food for us all and when i was coming back i called someone in the physic labs cell phone and he was like 'hey do some donuts in the parking lot before you come up'. and i did. and i then looked up and saw a umass cop car with cops in it not 50 feet from me and got a call on my cell telling me to 'look out the passenger side...no windshield...no...ah just look over by the entrence at the cops...'
needless to say i burnt rubber into the parking garage. luckily the cops were lazy.

David Kelly
07-27-2001, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mike o'leary
hmmm...other rambot secrets...dont know if weve actually kept any. but i know theres other stuff weve done.
ah i got one...a classic. i went to pick up some food for us all and when i was coming back i called someone in the physic labs cell phone and he was like 'hey do some donuts in the parking lot before you come up'. and i did. and i then looked up and saw a umass cop car with cops in it not 50 feet from me and got a call on my cell telling me to 'look out the passenger side...no windshield...no...ah just look over by the entrence at the cops...'
needless to say i burnt rubber into the parking garage. luckily the cops were lazy.

hahaha... that is great!!:cool: Its harder to do donuts in a front wheel drive car, but it still works. but why would i know that?

mike o'leary
07-27-2001, 09:15 PM
rear-wheel...
btw...this was a couple of weeks after me and some of my rambot cronies got written up for disturbing the peace by the umass police

Nate Smith
07-27-2001, 10:18 PM
Well...it wasn't anybody on my team(as far as I can remember,) but I did see somebody on one team take a sign down that was inside one of the Disney Transport busses...

David Kelly
07-27-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Nate Smith
Well...it wasn't anybody on my team(as far as I can remember,) but I did see somebody on one team take a sign down that was inside one of the Disney Transport busses...

uuhhhh... did that happen during the 2000 nationals, by chance? i think i remember seeing you on that bus.

Nate Smith
07-27-2001, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by David Kelly

uuhhhh... did that happen during the 2000 nationals, by chance? i think i remember seeing you on that bus.

Yep...

Jon Abad
07-27-2001, 11:02 PM
good idea: sit up at the top of the stands in einstein.

bad idea: sit up at the top of the stands in einstein by the cameras pointing at the einstein fields and accidentally aim them at the top of the epcot dome and that mickey that's up there.... disney cops don't believe you when you say you're your own chaperone or that you are certified to operate said cameras.

David Kelly
07-27-2001, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Nate Smith

Yep...

i knew i seen you somewhere before and now i remember. it was on that bus! i was hoping that noone on the forums were there. i had no part in taking that sign, but the reason it was taken was because our robot broke every match and we were so pissed. oh well, the damage has been done.

I hope that we're not now know as the team that steels all the signs because that would not be good.

mike o'leary
07-28-2001, 01:16 PM
i point you to this post (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1552)
notice all the signs...i doubt 1 little sign from a busll make a difference...

Christina
07-28-2001, 01:36 PM
Hmm...here's a little story. A certain team, which will remain nameless/numberless that shared our hotel with us in nationals, decided that it would be humorous to put a shopping cart in front of one of our team member's door. Well, this only sparked a "dangerous" idea from our fearless leader, who will also remain nameless. :) Anywho, the brilliant idea to "get them back" was to put the shopping cart on one of the other team's balcony. Now, imagine the ingenuity needed to figure out how to get a shopping cart on a balcony; that's right folks, we had to hoist it up there, which was done with the help of bedsheets strung together. So, finally, during the night, the task was completed, only to realize that it was the wrong balcony. So, they decided to try one more time, with the right balcony. But, as fate would have it, the security guard caught them while trying to do the balcony swap. ::shakes her head:: So, the plan was never carried out, but it's our "dirty little secret." And I'm proud to say, I didn't actually help in this scheme, just heard about it the next day.

~Christina

mike o'leary
07-28-2001, 01:48 PM
/me reads post
/me starts thinking
/me has an idea...

the greatest part of this thread is that its giving me some good idea...

EddieMcD
07-28-2001, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Christina
Hmm...here's a little story. A certain team, which will remain nameless/numberless that shared our hotel with us in nationals, decided that it would be humorous to put a shopping cart in front of one of our team member's door. Well, this only sparked a "dangerous" idea from our fearless leader, who will also remain nameless. :) Anywho, the brilliant idea to "get them back" was to put the shopping cart on one of the other team's balcony. Now, imagine the ingenuity needed to figure out how to get a shopping cart on a balcony; that's right folks, we had to hoist it up there, which was done with the help of bedsheets strung together. So, finally, during the night, the task was completed, only to realize that it was the wrong balcony. So, they decided to try one more time, with the right balcony. But, as fate would have it, the security guard caught them while trying to do the balcony swap. ::shakes her head:: So, the plan was never carried out, but it's our "dirty little secret." And I'm proud to say, I didn't actually help in this scheme, just heard about it the next day.

~Christina

Hey, I sided with you guys on that one!

Carolyn Duncan
07-28-2001, 11:55 PM
Well, this one has many parts so I will post them all separately, just know that it was all one night at the 2001 nats and only five people from 2 diff. teams.
We took one of those sticky pads from Autodesk that were given out at nats and leaving little messages everywhere. We left one on someone's brand new car that said your car inhales audibly. We left many others all over the place between our hotel and the HoJo next door, where a 3rd team was staying. We saw the people finding our little notes andtrying to figure out who left them. Most people figured out it was the group of high school kids at the hotel and one of the mentors took the heat.
I don't remember how many car alarms we set off.

EddieMcD
07-29-2001, 06:08 PM
One of my teammates actually went armed with water baloons down to Old Town hucking them at random people. They actually got two off at me that didn't pop. After looking for a couple of my teammates I was with at the time, I decided to reverse direction. Heading down the other side of the street in the opposite direction was the group tossing waterballons. I hucked one in that general direction, an nailed our driver. A couple of them came after me as I circled a fountain and aimed my remaining waterballon at them. They drew off quickly as I continued to the end of the street, where I found the two teammates I was with.

mike o'leary
07-29-2001, 06:14 PM
old town...hehehe...good times...
know that trick from kindergarten where you put youre thumb over youre lips, and the other person does the same, and then you pretend to kiss? well one night at old town there was a band of some sort playing and people were standing around listening to them. needless to say, when we got there it was all over as we all started dancing around. then 2 guys on my team started dancing together...like, slow dancing. then at the end of the song they did that thumb trick. in front of like 100 strangers...it was the funniest thing ive ever seen.

EddieMcD
07-29-2001, 06:33 PM
What kindergarten did you go to?

But it sounds funny nonetheless.

mike o'leary
07-29-2001, 06:34 PM
i forget

Christina
07-29-2001, 11:41 PM
know that trick from kindergarten where you put youre thumb over youre lips, and the other person does the same, and then you pretend to kiss?

At the 2000 Nats I was walking around the Magic Kingdom with a bunch of friends, whom will all once again remain namelss. One of my friends (who was a guy) asked me if I wanted to see him kiss another guy from the group. I said I didn't think he would. So he grabbed the other guy and it seriously looked like he kissed him. I was in shock. Then, they showed me that little trick. And now, I will never forget it.

~Christina šoš

EddieMcD
07-30-2001, 12:06 PM
What kindergarten did you people go to!

mike o'leary
07-30-2001, 12:52 PM
i asked my mom that one: public...

Christina
07-30-2001, 04:30 PM
What kindergarten did you people go to!

I didn't learn it in Kindergarten. I learned it because of my friends in robotics. :D

~Christina šoš

Carolyn Duncan
07-30-2001, 05:35 PM
I know about this trick. There are pics to prove it. Funny thing about pics, you can't tell the thumbs are there. THere's me, a guy who shall remain nameless, and my clothing... lets not go there. It was funny though. Especially because the guy was really shy and it freaked im out because he didn't know it was coming, the other people in the room did though. hehehe :)

Tom Fairchild
07-30-2001, 06:21 PM
You know Carolyn, I still have all of those pics. So what's it worth to ya for me not to post 'em??? ;) :D :cool:

~Tom~, who thinks that this is some really good black mail he has.

Carolyn Duncan
07-30-2001, 07:28 PM
A certain event you attended on Saturday...

Tom Fairchild
07-30-2001, 08:36 PM
LoL, okay, okay, we'll just sit here in our little Cold War. Works for me.

~Tom~

Carolyn Duncan
07-30-2001, 08:42 PM
I think that would be a smart decision Tom.
I guess I could add the seccond part of my little not so secret.
Once the 5 of us got to the hotel next door we set up the perfect fool proof prank. We dumped a trash can of water on Dave Lavery's head from the balcony. He told us we drenched his NASA laptop. We stood in the parkinglot for about 2.5 hours before we found out that that was his way of pranking us back. I missed room check by 2 hours. tis was the same night that I got in trouble for table dancing at the team party...

mike o'leary
07-31-2001, 04:40 PM
mike is thinking that tom should post these pics

mike whose friends were smart enough not to do it in front of cameras because they knew it would have to be posted if they had.

Carolyn Duncan
07-31-2001, 07:58 PM
The pics are inappropriate for this site, family site ya know. I didn't think this would get brought up here. Wait 'till nats and see them then. Besides, no one wants to see them really. I'm sure Steven would be very embarrased. Tom, DON'T DO IT!

mike o'leary
07-31-2001, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Carolyn Duncan
I know about this trick. There are pics to prove it. Funny thing about pics, you can't tell the thumbs are there. THere's me, a guy who shall remain nameless, and my clothing... lets not go there. It was funny though. Especially because the guy was really shy and it freaked im out because he didn't know it was coming, the other people in the room did though. hehehe :)

The pics are inappropriate for this site, family site ya know. I didn't think this would get brought up here. Wait 'till nats and see them then. Besides, no one wants to see them really. I'm sure Steven would be very embarrased. Tom, DON'T DO IT!

youre very good at keeping people nameless...

EddieMcD
07-31-2001, 08:57 PM
Well, you can't be famous without having a name. So...

mike o'leary
07-31-2001, 08:58 PM
hes shy goofball...he doesnt want to be famous

Carolyn Duncan
07-31-2001, 10:15 PM
Shy's not even the word for it. Shall we say innocent and sheltered. I didn't mean to let that one slip. Oh, well, can't do anything about that now. Just have to know that you guys don't know who he is so it's still ok.

Tom Fairchild
07-31-2001, 11:58 PM
LoL, our friend Stephen sure has changed a lot this past year though. Even so, for his sake I think that I'll refrain from posting the pictures, tempting as it may be. Then again, there is one w/o Stephen in the picture, but just of you with a goofy expression..... ;) Tempting, but still no. Like you said, family site.

~Tom~, who shall now be known as Carolyn's owner since he has the pictures.

volleygrrl234
08-01-2001, 05:39 PM
All I have to say for the team is that Kelptomania really is a disease!

mike o'leary
08-01-2001, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Carolyn Duncan
Shy's not even the word for it. Shall we say innocent and sheltered. I didn't mean to let that one slip. Oh, well, can't do anything about that now. Just have to know that you guys don't know who he is so it's still ok.

hehehe...maybe you should think before you speak...er...type.

Carolyn Duncan
08-02-2001, 03:45 PM
Who says I think at all, Mike?
Tom, I will get something on you, just wait! I already know about certian events...
All I have to say for the team is that Kelptomania really is a disease!
It's not that bad really, just inappropriate for the site. They call me "Tiger" and "Saucy" Carolyn as a joke, but that's that's another story. And we're on different teams.

mike o'leary
08-05-2001, 01:39 PM
at nats this year some rambots (not saying anynames cuz i dont know who...cuz i obviously wasnt part of this one...riight) snuck out of our hotel at like 3am to go swimming and run around outside. we snuck out all james bond like too. there was some major skill involved - there was a security guard posted practically at our door. he was on our floor, just he was down the hall 10 feet in front of the elevator. the pool was supposed to be open 24 hours a day, but for somereason they kept kicking us out at like 11. actually we know the reason and its completely rediculous: they got complaints about noise. so naturally kick out the high school students right? the thing was they left the drunks there. and we wanted to go swimming. so we...i mena they...they went swimming.

Carolyn Duncan
08-05-2001, 03:50 PM
at nats this year some rambots (not saying anynames cuz i dont know who...cuz i obviously wasnt part of this one...riight) snuck out of our hotel at like 3am to go swimming and run around outside. we snuck out all james bond like too. there was some major skill involved - there was a security guard posted practically at our door. he was on our floor, just he was down the hall 10 feet in front of the elevator. the pool was supposed to be open 24 hours a day, but for somereason they kept kicking us out at like 11. actually we know the reason and its completely rediculous: they got complaints about noise. so naturally kick out the high school students right? the thing was they left the drunks there. and we wanted to go swimming. so we...i mena they...they went swimming.
I'm not the only one who let stuff slip am I Mike? Your post screams of self inclusive pronouns.

mike o'leary
08-05-2001, 06:15 PM
yeah...i did that on purpose i suppose. cuz i know that even if i didnt include them nobody would ever believe me if i said i had no part in it.
anyways, i only gave myself away, i dont give other people who wouldnt want to be given away

btw, i dont think its any coincisence that youre 666th post was in this thread...

Carolyn Duncan
08-05-2001, 09:07 PM
btw, i dont think its any coincisence that youre 666th post was in this thread...
why is that mike?

mike o'leary
08-05-2001, 09:37 PM
sign of the beast...this thread stemmed fromt he friday the 13th thread...you know, all that good stuff

EddieMcD
08-06-2001, 10:25 AM
Does this mean Carolyn's a devil?

Carolyn Duncan
08-06-2001, 09:36 PM
I've been called that and worse.

EddieMcD
08-07-2001, 12:36 PM
I'm not going to ask.

Carolyn Duncan
08-07-2001, 03:29 PM
Good don't. Family site, couldn't go there anyway.

EddieMcD
08-07-2001, 05:43 PM
I kinda figured that.

So, let's get back on topic. Any more dirty secrets from anyone?

Carolyn Duncan
08-07-2001, 10:44 PM
What about you Eddie? You haven't said much. Got any dirty laundry?

EddieMcD
08-08-2001, 09:41 AM
I gave one earlier in the thread. Check the first page.

Shannon Maloney
08-08-2001, 06:06 PM
well as far as i know, at Nats in 99 (i think that was the year, i was still in middle school then) eitherway, that year or the year before a team know as team 250 had a lot of team stickers, very sticky stickers. these stickers were everywhere, rides, hotels people, everywhere. they stuck these sticky stickers on the tea cups on space mountain and all over the hotel (where one sticker is still stuck today) and our team, like many others, learned the hard way that it's not to smart to get disney cops mad. so instead of stickers all over the park, we had 2,000 posters all over this year (yea, see, now you remember us) well the posters don't last forever but those stickers sure did! but i didn't have anything to do with the stickers...or the posters...ok maybe a little but it was all the cap'n's idea!

~~Shannon~~
**Team 250**

David Kelly
08-08-2001, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Shannon Maloney
well as far as i know, at Nats in 99 (i think that was the year, i was still in middle school then) eitherway, that year or the year before a team know as team 250 had a lot of team stickers, very sticky stickers. these stickers were everywhere, rides, hotels people, everywhere. they stuck these sticky stickers on the tea cups on space mountain and all over the hotel (where one sticker is still stuck today) and our team, like many others, learned the hard way that it's not to smart to get disney cops mad. so instead of stickers all over the park, we had 2,000 posters all over this year (yea, see, now you remember us) well the posters don't last forever but those stickers sure did! but i didn't have anything to do with the stickers...or the posters...ok maybe a little but it was all the cap'n's idea!

~~Shannon~~
**Team 250**

i'm sure that the disney cops didn't like that. but it sure was a good way to get your name out there. we're always trying to find a way to get our name out there, even if they don't know what or who it is.

Carolyn Duncan
08-08-2001, 09:06 PM
I gave one earlier in the thread. Check the first page.
Yeah, but that's the only thing you've really posted besides little responses to other people's stuff. You've gotta have more than that. Spill!

EddieMcD
08-09-2001, 11:36 AM
You gotta let me think. I mean, it's summer time. My brain isn't totally on.

Sean_330
08-10-2001, 01:22 AM
In this thread, you hear a lot about disney cops. Why are they so bad? I have been warned many many people to avoid them, but i was wondering what do they do if they do to get their bad reputation.

(Aren't they not real cops anyway?)

Jessica Boucher
08-10-2001, 05:53 AM
Personally, I think Disney security is bad if, well, youre on their bad side.....which if youre a teenager trying to have some fun, I can understand. But, it just shows that they know how to do their job.

Disney staff is real nice if youre on their good side....the ones I volunteered with really looked out for me when I was baking on the media platform.

Shannon Maloney
08-10-2001, 06:50 AM
oh, yea, disney staff is great. i have three family members that work either at disneyland or at one of the disney stores. my family and i are always at disney world and the staff and security are great, but then again when you're with a group of teenagers that are all wearing the same team shirt, they just don't seem to trust you too much (i don't know why! :) )

~~Shannon~~
**Team 250**

A. Leese
08-10-2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Shannon Maloney
oh, yea, disney staff is great. i have three family members that work either at disneyland or at one of the disney stores. my family and i are always at disney world and the staff and security are great, but then again when you're with a group of teenagers that are all wearing the same team shirt, they just don't seem to trust you too much (i don't know why! :) )

~~Shannon~~
**Team 250**

I would have to agree..the Disney staff are great (even if you're with a group of teenagers). I was really surprised at how great they were when I got hurt two years ago at nats. I know part of it was that they didn't want to get sued, but you can tell when someone's just doing something to cover their butt and really worried about your care. I've always tried since then not to goof off (as much) at Disney.

~Angela

EddieMcD
08-10-2001, 12:25 PM
but then again when you're with a group of teenagers that are all wearing the same team shirt, they just don't seem to trust you too much

They probably think you're some kind of cult. ;)

Carolyn Duncan
08-11-2001, 12:18 PM
We are a cult and we all believe in Gracious Professionalism. Get it? Cults don't have to be a bad thing, religions are cults and most people accept them as just having different beliefs.

EddieMcD
08-11-2001, 05:08 PM
So, I'm High Priest of a cult?

Cool.

Lng_02
08-11-2001, 09:39 PM
First: It wasn't my team that snuck to another hotel and went in their pool and afterwards sudded their fountain. (ours got sudded too the same night, dunno who that was tho)

Second: Anyone ever been denied entrance into Epcot and had the security guards come and say you weren't allowed in?

Carolyn Duncan
08-11-2001, 10:45 PM
So, I'm High Priest of a cult?
Cool.
I guess you are, if we really think of you as the high priest...
Sudding fountains, lol, I've been a part of that before...
What was the deal with access to Epcot?