PDA

View Full Version : Anybody build the given 2006 Transmission

Alienvin
01-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Has anyone build the transmission that FIRST has supplied us with for the 2006 season? If so..... Let me know how it is, and how you put it together.

Laterz

JVN
01-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Here is the manual:
http://www.ifirobotics.com/docs/2006-first-transmission-manual-rev-d.pdf

This transmission is the same as the one that appeared in the 2005 kit, as part of the Kitbot robot. Many teams used it with great success. If you search these forums you can learn more about how it was used in 2005.

Andrew Blair
01-10-2006, 05:54 PM
There have been a few modificataions though, right John? I mean specifically the rear face plate. It seems to be working better for us. It has more holes; what are the all for?

JVN
01-10-2006, 06:29 PM
There have been a few modificataions though, right John? I mean specifically the rear face plate. It seems to be working better for us. It has more holes; what are the all for?

The new holes on the rear face plate are for mounting the Gear-Tooth Sensor included in the KOP. There were no other modifications besides this.

Glad to hear it's working better; though I can't guess why.

-JV

Andrew Blair
01-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Eh, don't know, but they run much smoother than last years. We built them and ran them in today, and they are performing much better. Maybe we screwed them down with more/less backlash? Either way, they sound much better.

coastertux
01-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Eh, don't know, but they run much smoother than last years. We built them and ran them in today, and they are performing much better. Maybe we screwed them down with more/less backlash? Either way, they sound much better.

Thats good to hear...our gearboxes made all sorts of cool grinding noises when we turned ;).

Andrew Blair
01-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Umm...Hmmm. Grinding is bad. If you can, lube them up real well and run them for like 20 minutes. All gearboxes need to wear in. But if it's a really, really bad grinding noise, somethings wrong. They are not silent by any means, but grinding shouldn't happen.

John Gutmann
01-10-2006, 09:55 PM
just wondering if it would work. But if you take an old KOP tranny and seal it up with a gasget on front and seal all the bearings in it( flanged bearings on gasgets?) would it work fine to run it in transmission fluid or sorthing of the sort? like for an off-season project.

CharlieWilken
01-10-2006, 11:17 PM
:confused:
I see in the robot part of the manual that we can use up to four "small CIM motors. Does this mean we can use four transmssions too?

Jeff K.
01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
:confused:
I see in the robot part of the manual that we can use up to four "small CIM motors. Does this mean we can use four transmssions too?

You can..but each gearbox w/o motor at 13.4 lbs, and 4 of them being 53.6 lbs, leaving 66.4 lbs for the chassis, electronics, and shooting mechanism, might not be the best idea in my opinion, but might be perfect for your design.
Unless you need a lot of extra weight, I think just having 2 transmissions should be fine for a tank drive robot, unless you're planning on having a holonomic with the 4 transmissions in the corners driving 4 omniwheels independently.

Cory
01-10-2006, 11:42 PM
unless you're planning on having a holonomic with the 4 transmissions in the corners driving 4 omniwheels independently.

If this is the case, another good solution is to use the Nothing But DeWalts whitepaper to convert four DeWalt transmissions for use with the CIM's, and mount them in the corners.