PDA

View Full Version : Car Nack Predicts 1/06

Car Nack
01-11-2006, 10:53 AM
The alliance that wins the autonomous mode will win the match more than 80% of the time.

Car Nack has spoken

sanddrag
01-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I think that is a very valid assumption. In autonomous mode, it is harder for an opponent robot to target a strategy specifically against what you are doing, making it easier for you to score.

Joe Johnson
01-11-2006, 11:19 AM
The alliance that wins the autonomous mode will win the match more than 80% of the time.

Car Nack has spoken

Hmmm... I am not sure I can see how Car Nack is coming to this conclusion but perhaps others can provide a logical explanation for this handed down wisdom.

Joe J.

Josh Hambright
01-11-2006, 12:00 PM
I agree with carnack, that was one of the first things I decided on the drive home after our remote kick off. The bonus for winning autonomous definately give that alliance a significant edge over the other. You have to score atleast 4 times in regular play to even catch up, and we can assume that the team that won autonomous isn't going to stop scoring just because their drivers are controlling the robot, so it definately presents a scoring advantage.

Greg Needel
01-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I agree with carnack for once although 80% seems high... After auto mode it is a good assumption that in most cases the balls will be either be in the goals or on the field. The team that looses auto mode and goes on offence first will be at a huge disadvantage because the won't have many balls at their disposal, thus a good portion of their time will be spent gathering balls to score; which might be hard with 5 robots on their side of the field. At this same time the team that wins auto mode is already winning the match and has 40 seconds to collect balls with out worrying about scoring. The back bot can fill to capacity and be ready to shoot when the period changes, and depending on the defensive modes of the alliance partners they should have balls at that time as well. This allows the team that won auto mode to only worry about scoring and not picking up balls during their scoring zone. Once it becomes free for all the team that is in the lead (the ones who won auto mode) should just do their best to gather balls and keep them so it becomes hard for the opposite alliance to score. I would say the the match swing might be determined by teams ability or inability to get all 3 bots on the ramp at the end. just my $.02

MattB703
01-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I humbly bow to the infinite knowledge of the great Car Nack and suppose that his words of wisdom may mean that it will be advantageous to spend the second and third periods gathering a majority of the balls into your alliances possession before scoring late in the fourth period. :rolleyes:

Gdeaver
01-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Hum, 2 students came to me last night and stated about the same. They are concerned because we have always been terrible at autonomous. Another student suggested a hunter, seeker, smasher defensive autonomous strategy.

CarlFirestone
01-11-2006, 10:54 PM
winning the autonomous mode gives the team that wins the opportunity to have two offensive periods in a row (3rd offensive and FFA). there need not be any transition which wastes time so more scoring could occur.

Validius
01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
car nack is right for this reason:

The team that wins auto will have targeting and range finding abilities superior to that of the opposing alliance. This should greatly increase the accuracy (and perhaps speed) of their goals.

Tom Bottiglieri
03-04-2006, 08:32 PM
14/15 matches in the elimination rounds were decided by autonomous.

The one match that was not decided by autonomous was lost by a disqualification.

pathew100
04-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Has anyone been able to do an analysis of this theory at any regional yet?

jgannon
04-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Has anyone been able to do an analysis of this theory at any regional yet?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45008

Greg Marra
04-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Let me throw this into the mix:

While I haven't had the time to go match by match, the alliance that won Philadelphia (291, 177, 306) won autonomous once during the entire elims. We tied three autos, leaving three others that we lost.

Interesting?

Andy Brockway
04-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Let me throw this into the mix:

While I haven't had the time to go match by match, the alliance that won Philadelphia (291, 177, 306) won autonomous once during the entire elims. We tied three autos, leaving three others that we lost.

Interesting?

However, the two ties that occurred in the semi-finals were decided by coin toss to the favor of 291, 177, 306. This is an advantage as discussed elsewhere, we could not score when we are out of balls and none on the field. Those are the breaks!