PDA

View Full Version : has anyone burnt out a joystick??

Leo 1529
01-23-2006, 04:04 PM
we just made a major breakthrough....we burnt out a joystick during testing..

has anyone else burnt out two in 5 minutes??

Matt Krass
01-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Broken, not burnt out, can I ask how you managed that one?

Leo 1529
01-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Broken, not burnt out, can I ask how you managed that one?

i guess either too much amperage or just defective controllers

Andrew Blair
01-23-2006, 04:10 PM
How do you know you burned it out?

Leo 1529
01-23-2006, 04:11 PM
How do you know you burned it out?

a burnt smell is coming from them... i dont know

i wish i was part of electrical but im not

Francis-134
01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I can say for sure that I've never heard of that before. Do you have any more details as to what your electrical bretheren were doing at the time to cause the joysitcks to smoke?

Leo 1529
01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
I can say for sure that I've never heard of that before. Do you have any more details as to what your electrical bretheren were doing at the time to cause the joysitcks to smoke?

they were testing the programming and playing with the joysticks

keithv708
01-23-2006, 04:39 PM
no I have not but I have taken one apart before

ICE MAN
01-23-2006, 04:45 PM
last year we had a slight problem with one of our joysticks. two of the buttons jammed and later those two buttons never worked again. so yes you can burn out a joystick. but both joysticks in 5 minutes, that is ridiculous.

Andrew Blair
01-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure that is really burning out the joysticks though. Our buttons have stuck, permanantly before, but that seems to be a mechanical problem, not actually releasing magic smoke. Perhaps a manufacturing defect could screw up a pot, but thats it really.

scitobor 617
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I've found out the hard way that joysticks do not take kindly to long drops but blue smoke :ahh: ? I must commend you for such enthusiasm for a finished robot that you unleashed the blue smoke from such a generally docile device :yikes: .

KenWittlief
01-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Find out exactly what those SW programmers did, they may have made a major scientific discovery

because up until today it has been impossible to 'program' the user interface to send power out the analog input ports, and burnout input devices.

could they have tapped into the invisible forces of the universe, and inadvertantly opened a window that flooded Zero-Point-Energy into the joystick? :ahh:

CmptrGk
01-23-2006, 06:46 PM
could they have tapped into the invisible forces of the universe, and inadvertantly opened a window that flooded Zero-Point-Energy into the joystick? :ahh:

is this a reference to Stargate (sg1 or Atlantis)

is it possible for one to actually be able to burn out a joystick?

sciencenerd
01-23-2006, 07:03 PM
is it possible for one to actually be able to burn out a joystick?

Oh sure. Send enough current through any electrical device, and you'll overload it and burn it out. I think the question is whether the operator interface is programmed to be able to send that much current. According to KenWittlief, it is not.

Leo 1529
01-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Find out exactly what those SW programmers did, they may have made a major scientific discovery

because up until today it has been impossible to 'program' the user interface to send power out the analog input ports, and burnout input devices.

i will have to ask them tomorrow...

i dont know about all that invisible stuff though

KenWittlief
01-23-2006, 08:49 PM
The joysticks have 100k ohm potentiometers connected to 5VDC. At most they will draw 50uA dissapating 250 microWatts.

there is no way to program the user interface to send more power out the joystick input connector

my last post was tongue-in-cheek.

I would guess they were connecting new input devices (switches or pots) to the user interface, and either decided to add external power, or they got the wires seriously crossed with something else?

Leo 1529
01-24-2006, 08:57 AM
The joysticks have 100k ohm potentiometers connected to 5VDC. At most they will draw 50uA dissapating 250 microWatts.

there is no way to program the user interface to send more power out the joystick input connector

my last post was tongue-in-cheek.

I would guess they were connecting new input devices (switches or pots) to the user interface, and either decided to add external power, or they got the wires seriously crossed with something else?

maybe, our joysticks were inside a metal container that was our controller box and the edges on it really arent sharp enough to cut a cord but they might have had condsiderable wear on them from being hauled all around the shop...

Eldarion
01-30-2006, 01:16 AM
is this a reference to Stargate (sg1 or Atlantis)

Nah. If it was, they would've blown up our entire planet along with their joysticks! :ahh:

(The last Atlantis episode)

SoftwareBug2.0
01-30-2006, 01:54 PM
maybe, our joysticks were inside a metal container that was our controller box and the edges on it really arent sharp enough to cut a cord but they might have had condsiderable wear on them from being hauled all around the shop...If that is the case, I suspect it would be the OI and not the joysticks that burned up.

coldabert
01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
My first year, I burned a few potentiometers by shorting the leads. The high current then melted and burned the resistor. The blue smoke prolly came from the burning plastic.

"Its only Rock and Roll"

Jared Russell
01-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Make sure the joystick connector is clear of conductive debris (solder, spare wires, metal shavings).

It's unlikely that was the problem, but it's still a good idea.