PDA

View Full Version : Roving Mars

David Kelly
01-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Has anybody had the opportunity yet to see the new IMAX movie called "Roving Mars"? It looks pretty slick and is dubbed more of an educational movie depicting the work NASA had to go through to get the rovers up there and their missions on Mars. Halfway through the trailer video on the website, I swear I hear the voice of the one and only Mr. Dave Lavery. Dave, did you have any part of this new IMAX film? I can't wait till I get to see it. I am going to try to see it this wednesday before class, as the IMAX theatre is right next my college.

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/rovingmars/

Madison
01-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I read a blurb about this film earlier today and am really excited to see it. It opened today, but isn't playing in any of the theaters here yet. I'll have to find out if and when they're planning on bringing it in -- they're showing Magnificent Desolation in 3D right now and that will make the theater more money than Roving Mars will, unfortunately.

Arkorobotics
01-27-2006, 10:50 PM
WOAH! I have the book "Roving Mars" GOOD BOOK, but no movie theater near me :( . Where can i get the DVD?

Jon K.
01-28-2006, 02:14 PM
WOAH! I have the book "Roving Mars" GOOD BOOK, but no movie theater near me :( . Where can i get the DVD?
Since it's an IMAX film, you probably won't be able to get it on dvd. I really want so see the movie though, it looks interesting.

Madison
01-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Since it's an IMAX film, you probably won't be able to get it on dvd. I really want so see the movie though, it looks interesting.

Most IMAX films are released on DVD, actually.

Jon K.
01-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Most IMAX films are released on DVD, actually.

Wow I actually did not know that, I am sorry for my previous post then. I had always thought that due to the nature of the IMAX movie they were not released on DVD/VHS, or at least those that where just straight IMAX release.

Arkorobotics
01-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Wow I actually did not know that, I am sorry for my previous post then. I had always thought that due to the nature of the IMAX movie they were not released on DVD/VHS, or at least those that where just straight IMAX release.

Apollo 13 was released in IMAX quality, it magnificent! :ahh: :D

Madison
01-29-2006, 05:28 AM
Apollo 13 was released in IMAX quality, it magnificent! :ahh: :D

The IMAX edit of Apollo 13 is shorter than the theatrical edit, interestingly enough, because the original edit is too long to fit on standard IMAX film platters.

Our IMAX theater, the Boeing Theater at Pacific Science Center, recently retrofitted its platter storage mechanisms so as to be able to play Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Polar Express in 3D simultaneously -- meaning that the mechanisms could hold up to 40 miles of film.

Wetzel
01-29-2006, 07:47 AM
The IMAX edit of Apollo 13 is shorter than the theatrical edit, interestingly enough, because the original edit is too long to fit on standard IMAX film platters.

Our IMAX theater, the Boeing Theater at Pacific Science Center, recently retrofitted its platter storage mechanisms so as to be able to play Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Polar Express in 3D simultaneously -- meaning that the mechanisms could hold up to 40 miles of film.

Do you mean you can load Goblet of Fire AND Polar Express on the same platter? That would be huge! :ahh:

Wetzel

dlavery
01-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Has anybody had the opportunity yet to see the new IMAX movie called "Roving Mars"? It looks pretty slick and is dubbed more of an educational movie depicting the work NASA had to go through to get the rovers up there and their missions on Mars. Halfway through the trailer video on the website, I swear I hear the voice of the one and only Mr. Dave Lavery. Dave, did you have any part of this new IMAX film? I can't wait till I get to see it. I am going to try to see it this wednesday before class, as the IMAX theatre is right next my college.

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/rovingmars/
The IMAX film team began to work with the Mars Exploration Rover project very early in the development of the rovers. They filmed the team for over a year prior to launch, and all the way through to post-landing operations. The film does a pretty good job of capturing some of the excitement and emotional commitment involved with a project like this. The filmmaker, George Butler, really concentrated on the human stories involved with the project. You will hear about the project primarily from the viewpoints of the science Principal Investigator, Steve Squyres, and the Entry, Descent and Landing Chief Engineer, Rob Manning. They both do a wonderful job of weaving the story of the entire project. On top of that, seeing the full-resolution photos of Mars returned by the rovers when they are projected on an IMAX screen is truly spectacular (and the exploding parachute footage is fun to see too!). There are a few familiar faces that show up, and I will just leave it at that.

The official premiere for Roving Mars was held last Thursday evening at the National Air & Space Museum (http://www.nasm.si.edu/) in Washington DC. As of Friday morning, it is now showing as a regular feature at the main NASM facility, the Udvar-Hazy Center (http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/) near Dulles Airport, and several other IMAX theatres. The movie will have a staggered release in IMAX theatres around the country. It will be released in the Boston/New England area later in the spring, and is not due to show in Southern California until the summer. This is primarily due to existing commitments for screening other IMAX movies that have to expire before they can add a new film to their schedules.

-dave

Arkorobotics
01-29-2006, 10:32 AM
The official premiere for Roving Mars was held last Thursday evening at the National Air & Space Museum (http://www.nasm.si.edu/) in Washington DC. As of Friday morning, it is now showing as a regular feature at the main NASM facility, the Udvar-Hazy Center (http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/) near Dulles Airport, and several other IMAX theatres. The movie will have a staggered release in IMAX theatres around the country. It will be released in the Boston/New England area later in the spring, and is not due to show in Southern California until the summer. This is primarily due to existing commitments for screening other IMAX movies that have to expire before they can add a new film to their schedules.

-dave

Is it going to expand to more places? I live near JPL and I am surprised (and angry :mad: ) that they are not showing it around here!

Wetzel
01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Is it going to expand to more places? I live near JPL and I am surprised (and angry :mad: ) that they are not showing it around here!
Take a breath. Now, re-read what Dave said. In particular the part about the staggered launch.

On a side note, IMAX often gets beat around with a stick when it comes to new releases. The Science Museum of Virginia was unable to show Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire until this weekend so it wouldn't compete with the Regal theater that is something along the lines of 1.4 miles away, where 1.5 miles is the contract limit. Science plays second fiddle to Hollywood again.

Wetzel

Madison
01-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Do you mean you can load Goblet of Fire AND Polar Express on the same platter? That would be huge! :ahh:

Wetzel

No -- the IMAX projectors can hold multiple platters at a time. The limiting factor in how much film can be stored is simply the number of total platters and the maximum diameter of the platters. Apollo 13 was edited, for example, because it was too long to fit on a single platter of small enough diameter to fit in the projector.

I don't know that they've modified the projector here, Howard, to hold larger diameter platters, but they have made it so that it can hold more of them.

I checked with friends last night and they're not sure of when Roving Mars will be making its way to our area. They've just ended Harry Potter's run and are moving back to a normal schedule of 45-minute documentaries. When I was around, we'd often have the films we'd showed planned for anywhere from 6 months to a year in advance.

Arkorobotics
01-29-2006, 04:15 PM
By the way, I just talked to Steve Squyres (Principle Investigator of the MER mission) and he said "Hi: I believe that it will come out on DVD, though I'm not sure when... probably not for a while yet. - SS"