PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - In My Hands

Nate Smith
07-30-2001, 10:16 PM
Here's a screenshot of XP, for those of you who were following that thread from earlier...

David Kelly
07-30-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Nate Smith
Here's a screenshot of XP, for those of you who were following that thread from earlier...

looks pretty sweet! howd you get it anyways?

Nate Smith
07-30-2001, 11:10 PM
MS Windows XP Preview Program...pay microsoft $20, get RC 1 and RC 2 of the software....

Clark Gilbert
07-31-2001, 12:05 AM
For looks only u can download the Window Blinds XP skin....

Plus....

How do u go about or know where to pay Windows $20....is that kinda like Russia where u can pay them enough to go to space or fly a MIG? :D

Matt Leese
07-31-2001, 08:15 AM
That color scheme has to be the loudest and most clashing I've ever seen in a UI. It'd fit in perfectly at a FIRST competition though. ;)

Matt

Joe Ross
07-31-2001, 10:23 AM
is that RC1 or RC2?

Joe Ross
07-31-2001, 10:26 AM
you can order RC2 for $9.95 from micro$oft (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/preview/order.asp)

Joe who would never pay for a beta

Nate Smith
07-31-2001, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Joe Ross
is that RC1 or RC2?

RC1...as far as I know, RC2's not available yet...at least it better not be, I haven't gotten my download info yet

Nate Smith
07-31-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Clark Gilbert
How do u go about or know where to pay Windows $20....is that kinda like Russia where u can pay them enough to go to space or fly a MIG? :D

Not exactly....I forget where I first read about it, but they're still advertising that you can order it on their web site. And it's 19.95 if you want the RC1 mailed on a CD(what I got)...didn't really feel like downloading a 650MB ISO file over a dialup...

Clark Gilbert
07-31-2001, 12:30 PM
Yeah 56K modems suck for downloading big things.....

I may have to try some of that stuff with Microsoft in the future...

:D

David Kelly
07-31-2001, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Clark Gilbert
Yeah 56K modems suck for downloading big things.....

I may have to try some of that stuff with Microsoft in the future...

:D

i feel sorry for you guys, cable modems sure are nice. and thats only when it's working properly. mine can be stubborn sometimes. nothing's better than @Home (http://www.@home.com/index_flash.html)!

A. Leese
07-31-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by David Kelly

i feel sorry for you guys, cable modems sure are nice. and thats only when it's working properly. mine can be stubborn sometimes. nothing's better than @Home (http://www.@home.com/index_flash.html)!

Am I the only person who has a 56K anymore? We don't even have two phone lines in my house.

~Angela who wouldn't mind her free internet from the college so much if it wasn't dial-up

David Kelly
07-31-2001, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by littlefish180

Am I the only person who has a 56K anymore? We don't even have two phone lines in my house.

~Angela who wouldn't mind her free internet from the college so much if it wasn't dial-up

the bad thing is when i steal... uh i mean borrow the robotics laptop, i have to resort to one of those EVIL 56k dialups. it seems like an eternity just to log on the stupid thing

Joe Ross
07-31-2001, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Nate Smith

RC1...as far as I know, RC2's not available yet...at least it better not be, I haven't gotten my download info yet

RC2 is availible for official download today (or when you get your e-mail, first batch goes out today), but you've been able to get it other ways for the last few days ;)

Lora Knepper
07-31-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by littlefish180

56k dial-up...1 phone line. Yeah, my mom and I argue over phone line usage ALL THE TIME. *can't wait for campus OC-3 hookup....really really really really can't wait*

~ lora

Kyle Fenton
08-01-2001, 10:24 AM
Can you still use your hardware devices like DVD playback, CD-Burning, scanners, printers, USB devices, etc.?

Just wondering because Windows XP is similar to Windows 2000 in which software doesn't have direct access to hardware, they have to go through the system first. This helps prevents against crashes if the hardware locks up.