PDA

View Full Version : pic: 179's Swampthing 2006!

Swampdude
02-21-2006, 12:21 PM
[cdm-description=photo]23187[/cdm-description]

Rick TYler
02-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Brings a whole new meaning to "wiring," doesn't it?

It looks very swampy. Nice job!

petek
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Very aggressive looking robot you got there. Does team 179 have a group whose purpose is to make sure the robot is intimidating-looking? Also, I've only been in this game for 5 years, but I'm sure this is the first robot I've seen which uses chicken wire! (Thunderchickens beware?)

Tytus Gerrish
02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
its not chicken wire its poultry netting you can also use it on turkeys and ducks

Eldarion
02-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Did your programmers use Kevin Watson's code, or did you do an "in-house" solution?

Swampdude
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I believe they started with Kevin's 2 versions (bells and no bells) but I know They made a lot of changes and then apparently had to completely write a new tracking part. It's impressive to to me since we (179) have never successfully used sensor feedback in a robot design, and this thing is covered with sensors. It also is using the gear tooth sensors. They have each system in PID loops and they (the programmers) use big words like "referential integrity" and "differential gain" that make it soften the locking process (which can get violent). But you can push it while it wants to lock on the light and it just keeps re-centering, but you also have the foot to contend with. Charlie (our code mentor) is amazing at this stuff - he was on team 267 Demolition squad years ago, and now were lucky to have him.

Eldarion
02-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Boy does that sound familiar! ;)
For some reason, both last year and this year I had to rewrite the camera communication and tracking routines.

Our two favorite expressions are:

"I just have to tune the PID loop!"
"It's still downloading!"

:)

Swampdude
03-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Here's some video from our "scrimmage" (http://www.179swampthing.org/albums/2006_Season/179_vid.wmv). At the end you see one of the early Autonomous routines, but you can kind of tell in the picture vs. the video the shooter has been changed. It feeds balls real fast now :)

bjimster1
03-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Here's some video from our "scrimmage" (http://www.179swampthing.org/gallery/2006_Season/179_vid.wmv). At the end you see one of the early Autonomous routines, but you can kind of tell in the picture vs. the video the shooter has been changed. It feeds balls real fast now :)

the link doesnt work :( (404 error)

Noelle
03-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Did when I opened it :) Looks great Swampthing, but I wouldn't expect less.

Jeremiah Johnson
03-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Wow... nice bot. But it doesn't look like a swampbot from years past... specifically 2004. I was impressed by the shear look of that robot. One of my favorites of all time. Maybe it's not green enough. Still look awesome though. Good job guys and gals.

Swampmonkey
03-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Wow... nice bot. But it doesn't look like a swampbot from years past... specifically 2004. I was impressed by the shear look of that robot. One of my favorites of all time. Maybe it's not green enough. Still look awesome though. Good job guys and gals.

We kinda ran out of time, didn't have the time to take it apart again to paint it :(

But at Florida Regionals we did add a lot of black plastic netting, so it looks a little bit more distinguished...look for us at Nationals :)

ScoutingNerd175
03-29-2006, 04:39 PM
look for us at Nationals :)

I'd really like to, I may have to sneak away from our devision to see it, though. If first continues doing the divisions in the same way, our teams won't be in the same division unless 178 comes to the party, they earned a spot but I don't think they're using it. In which case we would definitely be in the same division. :)

At any rate, looks like an excellent machine.

Tetraman
03-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Nice robot you got there. I've seen some robots that have the particular system just like that that have been doing well. Do well at nationals!