PDA

View Full Version : "Quotes" that were said during build season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Jherbie53
02-23-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm wondering what some of the more interesting "quotes" or phrases said this year. It doesn't matter who said them, a student, a teacher, or a mentor. One of mine this year was "Ball chunk colorer person". That was said when someone asked why i was coloring a ball with a sharpie.

Eldarion
02-23-2006, 07:33 PM
"I just have to tune the PID loop!"

"It's still downloading!"

Rick TYler
02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
"Don't worry about the code -- I know I've fixed it this time for sure!"

"PID is easy. I wrote it last night."

"We're too close for missiles, switching to Poof balls!"

"Just one more day on the driving code, then I'll switch to autonomous."

techie_Britt
02-23-2006, 07:43 PM
"Hey...uh guys? Where's our bot?"

lol my friend Maggie said that when she came into our meeting late from drama practice on ship date...she had completley forgotten what day it was and we just had to go along with it so we were like..."What do you mean where's our bot?! I though you were here when the shipping guys came to get it!"

She's so gullible...gotta love her! lol

KyleLT1987
02-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Me: Woahhh Carl waht are you doing don't pull on that
Carl (mentor): I know what im doing. Id rather it break here then Annapolis
Me: How bout we just don't break it at all, theres a thought for ya..

Needless to say he wasn't too happy with that remark

lallamavolador
02-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Guns have motors?-Me

"We will worry about that later"

"umm... oops"

kirish
02-23-2006, 09:16 PM
From the head of our mechanical team to some programmers concerned about sensing the turret's position with a shaft encoder:

"You worry about the programming and I'll give you the shaft."

Luckily they didn't take it the wrong way...

Nita
02-23-2006, 09:27 PM
"I guarantee it!"
Everytime this certain someone on the team says this, the guarantee is broken. We even named this type of guarantee after the person's name.

My Name is Q
02-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Hosh, you forgot the coveted, "Let's Ship It!".

I believe Troy was the first one to start saying it around the 3rd build week. We got the drivetrain running just in time for Mr. Yasick to see it before he left for surgery, and all Troy could do was say "Ship it", lol.

After that, everytime we got a major component done on the robot, there was that quote. I think everybody on the team used it.

It was a good day when I no-longer had to hear the phrase "Ship It" on monday night, when we finally shiped the robot, :)

Jesse177
02-23-2006, 09:29 PM
One of the best quotes I heard came about 3:00 AM Saturday morning before the UTC Scrimmage
"Lets reinforce the Duct tape with duct tape"

And another from the same team member

J: "Why did you make it like that?"

D: "I made it to the dimensions you gave me"

J: "Why would you listen to me?"

Collin Fultz
02-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Me to the students: "It wasn't a mistake...it was an engineering miscalculation."

One student at the open-house: "And due to an 'engineering miscalculation'..." he said as he smirked at me in the audience :rolleyes:

pez1959
02-23-2006, 09:34 PM
*looks at cmu* "Yep...that goes in the headache box"
*looks at sensors* "...headache box..."

later in the season...

"Uh oh...gonna have to break open the headache box"

Jherbie53
02-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Hosh, you forgot the coveted, "Let's Ship It!".

I believe Troy was the first one to start saying it around the 3rd build week. We got the drivetrain running just in time for Mr. Yasick to see it before he left for surgery, and all Troy could do was say "Ship it", lol.

After that, everytime we got a major component done on the robot, there was that quote. I think everybody on the team used it.

It was a good day when I no-longer had to hear the phrase "Ship It" on monday night, when we finally shiped the robot, :)
That started last year i think Mr. Q. Anyhoo, another one is when ever someone said this or that needed to be done. A student named Steve would always volunteer Stuart by saying, "Stuart will do it". The last week was filled with him saying that, ALOT. :D

mdoshi
02-23-2006, 09:49 PM
"Water and electricity don't mix, stop spitting on the robot!" -Dave, an alumni member speaking to one of the younger members...

Cody Carey
02-23-2006, 09:50 PM
OH... These ...:)

"ARE YOU STUPID ANDREW?"
"ARE YOU STUPID KYLE?"
"ARE YOU STUPID DOUG?"
"ARE YOU STUPID TREVOR?"
"ARE YOU STUPID ABE?"
"ARE YOU STUPID JEV?"
"ARE YOU STUPID MARTY?"
"ARE YOU STUPID NICK?"

and last but not least, "BEMIS, YOU ARE SO STUPID!"

Jonathan Norris
02-23-2006, 09:52 PM
"it's not a wrench,
It's not a ratchet,
It's a wrench-et!"

santosh
02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
"hey guys, we have a spare e-clip, set screw, and key... oh by the way, they were all stuck in the gearbox..."

Taylor
02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
"get that out of your mouth."
"Do you know how much that costs? If you knew how much that costs, you probably wouldn't be doing that right now."
"Trying to escape Justice only makes it more harsh."
"Let's make like a nut and bolt."
"We're gonna need a bigger hammer."

Tim Arnold
02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
"It is a guaranteed fact that at least one rookie team will name their robot 'Chuck Norris'."

Skolar
02-23-2006, 10:18 PM
We've got a certain member of our team that seems to enjoy magic smoke. Maybe some of it isn't his fault, but we blame him anyway. Now he enjoys the name KFC. Kevin Fried Circuits We actually gave him the nickname last year, but he earned it again this year when I had to rewire 4 potentiometers when we realized that they were the source of the burnt electronics smell at about 1 AM.

ZZII 527
02-23-2006, 10:22 PM
"Well, it's pinned." -fellow mentor, after breaking off the drill bit in our axle

"That's not yummy." -one of our HS students

M: "We can outpush anything we can't outrun...and we can outrun anything we can't outpush!"
S: "Thank you for defining geared power transmission."

"Kabir standards are in effect." -last week of build season, named for a former mentor quoted as saying, "we have low standards" as he drilled through a sprocket with a wood bit the night before ship date.

DRH2o
02-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Hey !!! Loctite tasts good !!!

ChuNalt787
02-23-2006, 10:46 PM
"dude ill pay for that"

after one teamate accidentaly threw a poofball into anothers month old nice laptop screen pretty much destroying the screen.

StephLee
02-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Worst thing to hear the driver (well ok, ANYONE anywhere near the robot) say: My bad.

We heard that one quite a bit this year.

"Don't touch that or I'll poof your head off." (Said to my younger sister immediately after a meeting.)

E: *cuts finger* Ow, where's the first aid kit?
J: *hands E duct tape*

*Random mentor* "If there are any people within five feet of the robot, the driver's hands go IN THE AIR!!*

milliga9
02-23-2006, 11:15 PM
One of our mentors after tasting loctite, "It tastes fine - except for the burning."

Nuttyman54
02-23-2006, 11:16 PM
"Get me some Colgate, our transmission is stiff"

"hm....i'm not sure that hole goes there..."

"Hey! stop putting the tools away! I can't find them when there in the proper places"

nate234
02-23-2006, 11:16 PM
A student: "The audience will be making three sounds this year: oos, aahs, and oh my God, watch out!"

Levin571
02-23-2006, 11:45 PM
One of our engineers when talking about how fast the wheel could spin:

"Have you ever seen a poof ball go through concrete?"

thecheatdx
02-23-2006, 11:45 PM
"Don't bleed on the robot!"

Said by the adult team leader after a teamate cut his hand.

Mr. Freeman
02-23-2006, 11:47 PM
"Where's that blasted saw/drill that cuts stuff back on..... I can never find it"

Junior: "OK, we've been stuck on this problem for an hour or so....... LUNCH BREAK!!..... who wants Carl's Junior?"

"OK, if the mentors don't want to turn off the robot when they stick their hands through the chain then fine. But everyone else make sure to hit the kill switch first, I'd have to fill out way too much paperwork if a student got hurt"
- Supervising teacher after the mentors repeatedly tried tightening bolts on the drive train (treads) without turning off the robot first.

Ianworld
02-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Some classics:
"Remember, Planning is important, plans are not!"

After searching for a part fruitlessly for an hour
"So where is it?"
"Where I left it! No really thats where it has to be!"

"Belt came off... Leo's fault"
-Leo graduate 2 years, nothing was ever his fault, but he got blamed for everything.

"JOE, BEAST IT"

Ethulin
02-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Maybe this is old but my favorite one that someone else posted:
"Let's make like a nut and bolt."
Now for ours:
"Time flies when you are having robots."

Matt Krass
02-24-2006, 03:44 AM
"What do you mean the dongle fell out?" -- As the robot careens unstoppably towards our test ramp, it ripped the tether out and died, phew!

"Of course it'll work, I wrote it" -- Before hours of debugging certain pieces of code

"I'm just tuning the PID loop what could-- OH $@#$@#$@#$@#! OWW!" -- Robot shot straight backwards and knocked me over, ended up pinning me down with a wheel gnawing on my leg, out of reach of the dongle, which wouldn't have helped as it was a few inches from the OI, it fell out again.

"What do you mean backup battery?" -- As the radio kept cutting out during testing.

"There's a right way to do this, a wrong way to do this, the fast way to do this, and the way I'm doing this, which is a blend of the three others, now can you get me a bandaid?" -- Scraped up my arm trying to change a fuse in our green light...on the goal...on a rickety ladder, not my idea of fun.

"The code is doing exactly what we told it do, now to trick it in to doing what we need it to do." -- It was doing exactly what we told it to do...

"Mr. Schuler Watch this!..Aww..CRAP!!" -- As my tracking code has a horrendous failure in front of the man who never thought I'd make it work. Go figure. :)

This has been a fun season.

NoodleKnight
02-24-2006, 03:50 AM
"Wait... It wasn't supposed to do that." - A lot of people said this, usually isn't a good thing, lol.

GaryVoshol
02-24-2006, 07:52 AM
"It's just a mock-up"

"NO! No more prototypes - this is for real" - Lead build mentor's response to above

"I'm OK" - our injury-prone team member, usually immediately preceded by some loud noise

Peter Matteson
02-24-2006, 07:58 AM
"People do stupid things." followed by whistling the song the the Vonage commercials.

P: M walk away for a minute.

M: Why?

P: Because I don't want you to seeing what I'm about to do to this part.

A personal favorite: "The holes in the wrong place time to get the liquid metal."

"Don't worry A. can weld it." - Usually true but I can see him cringe sometimes when we say it.

DjAlamose
02-24-2006, 08:02 AM
"Assume the position" - this is said every time some reaches into the robot during driver practice (although we didn't use it much...)

NeedMoreEngines
02-24-2006, 08:21 AM
"THIS THING ISN'T WORTH THE POWDER TO BLOW IT TO HELL!"

Yeah that was the best one.

"Mike!"
"What?"
"Why are you drilling into the control board?!"
"I'm not...oh. That's what this is for?"

"Yo where's that special metric bolt?"
"Did you check the shop-vac?" (it was in there)

Jeremiah H
02-24-2006, 09:43 AM
We had quite a few, but the best was probably one of our mentors saying,
"Give me that tightener over there" in regards to the wrench. He got a pair of vicegrips instead. That happened a lot in the last days in the wee hours of the night/morning.

The other one was the constant

Was that how it was supposed to end up?
-Of course, we planned it that way. :rolleyes:

BradL
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Student 1: Hand me the hammer on the table.
Student 2: There is no hammer on the table.
Student 1: You got to be kidding me, every thing is a hammer except for the screw driver which is a chisel.

Peter Matteson
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
A couple more:

J: I love it when a plan comes together!
P: Sure thing Hannibal. I know you planned it that way.

Hey can some one get me a metric adjustable.

A: Has anyone seen the power shear? :eek:
P: It's in the cabinet where it goes.
A: Why would it be where it goes in the middle of build season? Who actually puts stuff where it goes. :rolleyes:

dude__hi
02-24-2006, 09:54 AM
From me to another team member:

It goes the other way, the holes are in the wrong place now...

Schwartzman
02-24-2006, 10:09 AM
"Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer"

Craig Roys
02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
"It's okay - We are fully adjustable!"

Said far too often anytime something needed changing or moving - due to the fact that our robot frame is constructed of 80/20. It's not as funny anymore now that I've had a chance to sleep a little, but for some reason it sure seemed funny at the time.

gondorf
02-24-2006, 10:12 AM
ok lets see... robot quotes

" get'er done" our mentor when we were working on cutting rubber mats for a conveyor belt

"theres the tool for the job, then theres the tool we will use" the entire team when using the omnipotent socket wrench and adjustable wrench

"this will work... oh $#@%$#" after the robot runs into the computer table with autonomous

" aaaaahhhhh!!!! @#$%" after i got run over by the robot when we forgot to calibrate joysticks. i ended up with a shredded shirt

mad_cloversc
02-24-2006, 10:46 AM
"Where are the strippers?"
"STOP STEALING THE STRIPPERS!"

meaubry
02-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Oh no, someone cleaned up again - now how am I suppose to find anything?

Hey, where is that whirly gig thingy? (deburring tool)

Looks "close enough" to me

Good thing that's adjustable

Ashley Christine
02-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Me: Sounds like he put the whole alphabet into his mouth and threw up all over the paper!

Ashley Christine
02-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Me and Kim in starbucks before an early meeting...

Kim:Ashley look at that mug!
Me: ::turns left::
Kim: No Ashley, on your right
Me: ::Turns more left::
Kim: ASHLEY! YOUR OTHER RIGHT!
Me: ::raises left hand:: BUT THIS IISSS MY RIGHT...... oh..... ::turns right and sees mug::

Mr.T
02-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Two quotes of note:
" I DON'T LIKE IT,BUT I CAN'T TELL YOU WHY"

" DID YOU BUILD THAT FROM SCRATCH?"

cire
02-24-2006, 01:09 PM
"I didnt drill the hole in the wrong place, I was lightening the robot!"
"Ill just ducktape the lathe wrench to my hand so i dont forget to take it out when im done."
"I would have never have thought it would be where its supposed to be"

seg9585
02-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Me :"Carl thinks that adding extra code will increase the robot's weight. Silly Carl!"
Teammate: "Well it does..."
Me: "Umm what are you talking about, of course it wont"
Teammate: "No, for evey extra bit of code, 9.1e-31 kg is added to the RC"

A long argument ensued, and after 3 hours of his research to prove his argument, my teammate told me that he found online proof that adding additional code will in fact add electrons to the flash memory. I still deny it since he never showed me the article. What do u guys think??

BTW -- its a sad thing when we are worried about adding e-31 kg of weight to our robot..

seg9585
02-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Oh and a second one:

Student 1: "We need the robot to do *this*. Do you know what that means?"
Student 2: "More global variables!!!!!"

jamesgecko
02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
About making notes:
"I got bored, so I drew a giant robot attacking a city. In the logbook." - Myself.

"Dude! That robot design sketch looks awesome! ... Can we put it in the logbook?" - Christina

About not knowing the names of random items
"Pass me the ratchet... screwdriver... thingie..." - Alex again

When attempting to come up with slogans:
"We use all of the buffalo." - Alex
(The sad part: It stuck.)

When discussing autonomous mode
"So, we go as fast as we can this way, then we ram into that wall and hope our bump sensors work..." - Myself

buss
02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
From our lead coder, while trying to get the robot working:
"I know the code works, I wrote it! It must be a hardware problem."

To answer a question above about extra code adding weight: I believe that all of the electrons already exist in the flash memory, but they are just disorganized. Writing to the flash memory just consists of organizing electrons, therefore the weight would not increase.

JJMax7
02-24-2006, 03:42 PM
"Whats the worse that could happen? *explosion sound*" (note sound simulated nothing actually explode)
Nick: "I'm not Nick"
"Yea, No, No, Yea, No, Yea, Yea... wait... no..."
After something falls "It wasn't me!" as he drops something.

dude__hi
02-24-2006, 03:51 PM
When I walk into the house....
Mom: Did you have anything to eat today?
Me: Yeah I had steel, aluminum, some graphite, WD-40, some grease and a bunch of fiberglass.
Mom:That's what you had yesturday...

Alan Anderson
02-24-2006, 04:24 PM
This weight of software was actually a serious discussion among a few of our team members two years ago. I managed to stop the conversation completely when I pointed out that the "erased" state of flash is a logic one, so programming it actually removes bits from memory. :]

Jherbie53
02-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Another one from Tory, coach of team 85. "We need some more flexy doodles". :confused: "Flexy Doodles" are guards that help out robot hopper. :rolleyes: It was so funny when he said that, and now we still call them that.

Not2B
02-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Me: "And right here is where the whooptie doo will go."

Student: "The what?"

Me: "The whooptie doo."

Student: "What's that?"

Me: "You know, the whooptie part. It goes whooptie right here."

Student: "uh..."

Me: "Ball guides... come on... work with me here! It guides the ball into the shooter."

Specialized
02-24-2006, 05:09 PM
"Grease equals torque"

Continued from last year.

God, everyone on 195 should get that one. :D

indimay15
02-24-2006, 05:19 PM
"We'll fix that later."

One of our electricians saws a joystick in half to see the wire configuration.
Mentors rush over going "Why did you do that??? You could have used a screwdriver to open it!"
Electrician clutches the two joystick halves defensively and says "It was fun."

"Oh yeah, we'll be pulling an all-nighter tonight..."

Michelle Celio
02-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Teammate : We kinda have a problem with the shooter
Me: What is it now?
Teammate : The ball only goes high enough to hit dale(BTW, dale is 6'5") in the face. We're two feet off!
Me: Tell dale to shrink

Joe J.
02-24-2006, 06:24 PM
The Monday before ship our teacher just randomly said "I'm miss my doggie."

Then there is our team classic "Good enough for goverment work."

“What’s the worst that could happen? It falls and hits some kid.”

Éowyn
02-24-2006, 06:33 PM
A conversation between my mentor and I, pertaining CNC operation I know nothing about:

Mentor: Now, how should we do this?

Me: The right way.

Mentor: What's the right way?

Me: Not the wrong way!

"It's not a mistake, it's a modification!"

dutta
02-24-2006, 06:35 PM
This was one continuous conversation

A: Ow, I cut my finger
B: Let's go to Taco Bell!
C: Does it hurt?
D: Only after you eat there.

kayla13
02-24-2006, 06:44 PM
I have way too many from a few to many crazy nights but here are just a few....
Me-"The robot is still shorter than me its perfectly legal...." Sad isnt it?

One night talking to Michelle:
"but I don't want Kate I want shyraaaaaaaaa"
Yet every night I manage to say this at least once....
"Kate, i love you"

"If you think I'm sexyyyyy"
Is all I heard from the robot room when Kate was singing.....

"I swear I'm going to hug each and every person on that team"
Referring to 1114 for giving us the tread.

"get me a wrench 9/16 please..."

"Just use the screwdriver Kayla"
"Kate its a nut...."

"THEY NAMED THE ROBOT AFTER ME!!!" Kate after I nicknamed the robot Kate III wow... what an ego ;)

"Look at me I can fit in the rubber maid" Me to Rachel after i managed to successfully put myself in the rubber maid during dinner.

"Oh my gosh don't you love my crown?" Michelle referring to her diamond plate that she bent with her hands to fit her head.

"Its the mabuchi its soooo cute" Kate talking about the mabuchi motor practically drooling over it.

"So what if we know binary, fifty decimal places of pi And how to count in binary? We are right at home at a robotics competition." Kate II to me.

"Kate am I coming home with you?"
"Yahh"
"What a cheap date..."

OOOH how could I forget....

"Kayla broke the robot again mr.nashed"
"Well Im sorry..."
After I broke the robot like 2 or 3 times in a row....

I think that is it.. well for here anyways
Ill edit this if i can think of any actually good ones...

RoboJedi75
02-24-2006, 06:44 PM
When aiming our shooter: "More sine!"

"Where are you going?"
"Wendy's." (there's a Wendy's practically next door to the warehouse. It comes in handy :) )

lukevanoort
02-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Mentor 1: (trying to put a nut on a bolt) Geez, (grunts) this won't (grunts) go on.
Mentor 2: Well, did you turn it off?
Mentor 1: (Looks dumbfounded)

Kristian Calhoun
02-24-2006, 07:01 PM
"that was easy," quoth cokeley's easy button. eventually, everyone either said the phrase, or hit the button at least once by the end of the build season.

Barry Craig
02-24-2006, 09:30 PM
"It's not a bug, it's an unlisted feature."

angelc24
02-24-2006, 09:54 PM
"Are they redesigning the drive train on ship day?"
"yea"
Am I hallucinating?"
"no"

B. Flaherty
02-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Well, beginning last year, we had one member that would alway say "Hey guys, let's just quit and try again next year." He said this whenever something went wrong, no matter how little.

And a quote by our programmer which for two years I still cannot figure out...
"In Every Age"
He writes on everything he gets his hands on, and he says that we'll never be able to figure it out. If one of you feel like figuring it out, please go ahead and do so, I've just about given up on it. :confused:

irishninja
02-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Some classics:
"Remember, Planning is important, plans are not!"

After searching for a part fruitlessly for an hour
"So where is it?"
"Where I left it! No really thats where it has to be!"

"Belt came off... Leo's fault"
-Leo graduate 2 years, nothing was ever his fault, but he got blamed for everything.

"JOE, BEAST IT"

Beast it HAHA thats great Ian. How bout

"Someone hand me the uber crimper?"

the funny thing? thats now its real name

Alekat
02-25-2006, 12:08 AM
And a quote by our programmer which for two years I still cannot figure out...
"In Every Age"
He writes on everything he gets his hands on, and he says that we'll never be able to figure it out. If one of you feel like figuring it out, please go ahead and do so, I've just about given up on it. :confused:

By rearranging the letters is says: "a very genie" Apparently your programmer was a genie in his past life, and very much so. It is quite likely he doesn't even realize this.
My suggestion: Take your chances and rub his computer. Maybe if you're lucky you can get one wish out of him.

Tom Bottiglieri
02-25-2006, 12:10 AM
"It needs more torque? Add some grease.."

And in response to the weird looks...

"What.. someone on Chief Delphi said it!"

RbtGal1351
02-25-2006, 12:39 AM
"Find a pot! We need it for speed!"
^ While working on the OI, we needed a potentiometer to control the speed of our shooting motor...

S: (working on chassis, random observation) "Hey, metal bounces"
*5 minutes later, S tries to sing DHT's Listen to Your Heart*
D: "You know, metal bounces off foreheads too"

orelinde
02-25-2006, 10:40 AM
T. These are the cut off your finger tools .... those are the cut off your head tools do not get them mixed up.

p. You want ME to do WHAT?

T. Look my hands they got dirty. i actually used the tools. i used that thingy and that and that right there and look DIRT.

J. to M. Your fingers are your friends M. Your about to loose your friends.

S. Blood + Lead = Good? M. NO NO blood + Lead = Disease and death, and mental disease ... so go ahead.

HM. (regarding goggles) They're protecting the eyes in the back of my head!

B. What time are we meeting tomorrow guys. S. 7:30 B. WHYYYYYY?!?!

HM. This is where it gets terribly unsafe as opposed to regular unsafe.

HM. I don't understand that. T. You don't, then what do we keep you here for? M. because he has a kewl hat!

T. If you do that the allience partners will be staring at you trying to think of a way to accidently kill you.

B. Holy not lined up batman.

D. Like i said OW well not really OW but YOUCH!!!

T. oh my god no no no Cut lexan bad cut nothing wait yes cut the lexan your right.

B. i mean i have been wrong before , I'll be wrong again but i do not think i m wrong this time.

J. Why are these two balls being stupid. (regarding the two that always get wedged in the robot)

P. Give a woman a charge card she will go broke give a woman a dremel and she has total control i mean a robber breaks in who will he fear most. guy with gun, a cop, a woman with a dremel, a smile, and his face getting closer to dremel. :D ok why did everyone back away from me. (puts down the dremel)

Parabellum
02-26-2006, 01:01 AM
"Well, we found out why we were draining our battery so quickly. Our pneumatics were only leaking in 12 places!"

Rickertsen2
02-26-2006, 01:38 AM
Mechanical: Fix your software somethings wrong!
Me: Fix your hardware, its melting!

The Lucas
02-26-2006, 02:09 AM
While trying to figure out why our drive train wasn't shifting:

"Wait! We don't have gas!"
(Everyone Laughs)
"I mean air pressure" :o

RebelWithARobot
02-26-2006, 09:43 AM
"Water and electricity don't mix, stop spitting on the robot!" -Dave, an alumni member speaking to one of the younger members...
you shut up, woman! :(

haha

Charger_07
02-26-2006, 05:07 PM
(this conversation happens as the song Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd comes on)
*right after you hear the lyrics "we don't need no education"
Me: Nick its your theme song!
Nick:yay....wait! Shut up!

Wolf103FM
02-26-2006, 05:15 PM
"All hail the green sharpie" usually said when someone was looking for it

Jherbie53
02-26-2006, 05:41 PM
During the first Saturday after the game was announced we were testing a prototype of out shooter. Tim, one of our mentors, said after shooting a couple of balls, "We need to increase the squish". A couple of us were like "increase the squish?". Tim replied "Yeah the squish factor needs to be higher". Thus one of our favorite quotes was born.

Daniel Morse
02-26-2006, 06:08 PM
"Chris, your collector sucks" -me in reference to our collector mechanism, which sucks balls up into the hopper and had just worked absolutely perfectly in a demo. Chris designed it, and needless to say, agreed with what I had to say.

BrianR
02-26-2006, 06:32 PM
When working with our shooter wheel:

"Hey look at the camera, its in motion blur! I wonder if it'll still be able to pick up the light?" Said as the robot was shaking violently due to a bent shaft on the shooter wheel.

And then the daughter board with the lens vibrated itself out. Yeah... that was bad.

mattL
02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
MENTOR: "hey theirs a loose pwm in your electric box
ME: oh that doesn't go anywhere anymore... i think

vic burg
02-26-2006, 08:40 PM
-me: "Why exactly is there locktite on there?"
mentor: "They weren't supposed to come off."
me: "Oh."
We had some trouble with the placement of the wheels.... had to put more locktite on..... lol-

-"So, which gun are we using?"
reply from other student:"Punch E in the stomach gun."
Since there was an idea for another 'gun' we made a prototype and it ended up punch our Mechanical Lead in the stomach everytime a ball went through. With the last ball through though, he fell over.... poor guy.... lol.-

-"Wait.....wait.....wait for it....."
"Did you turn the robot on?!"
"Oops."-

-mentor(talking to all):"You have to caress the controls.... got it, guys?"
Bootleg:"Gd that sounded so wrong!"
mentor:"Hey, I ment be gentle... don't know whats on your mind, Bootleg."

**note** The name Bootleg came from me because that's what I thought he said his name was. It's not his real name, though. He's a freshman but helps write code so, it's all good!-

-mentor:"Lube it up, baby!"
student:"Never knew you went that way."
mentor throws dirty look then smiles evilly/creepily at students.
me:"I hope to gd that you are only looknig at us like that because of lack of sleep."-

-A student sent out an email about how we should name our robot using binary and the name of our team. It was interesting and made some sense but the reply of two people:
Student reply:"I suggest you should invest in a Gameboy in the furture, E."
mentor(Z) reply:"Get some sleep, E. -Z"-

I'm sure I can think of some more later.... lol

InfernoX14
02-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Captain: "(from the rules) 'A team with additional personel in the ALLIANCE ZONE will be assessed a 5-point penalty...'"
Me: "Okay, I have a question, is that penalty per person in the alliance zone, or 5 points for every extra person?"

Captain: "It feels very 'churchy' today..."
Mentor: "Ross, it's a Sunday"
Captain: "Oh right!"

Guy Student: "Where's the center punch?"
Girl Student: "If you weren't such a guy you'd be able to find it"

Captain: "Do as I say, not as I do... NEVER as I do!" After making an idler out of pneumatic tubing.

shamuwong
02-27-2006, 01:24 AM
"Every time you do that, God floor loads a kitten."

Cpt_Dave_Lister
02-27-2006, 01:43 AM
"What do you mean we haven't a prototype.. its week3!!!!"

colin340
02-27-2006, 09:07 AM
“Give me a coat hanger and a Propane Torch and I'll weld them together” Mr. Wegman

anna~marie
02-27-2006, 11:26 AM
newbie: we need to have elastic shrink wrap! (when he had accidently put a connector on the wire without first putting on the shrink wrap)

me: where's my strippers?!
kid walking by: here I am!

kid standing at vending machine: ... butterfinger or babe ruth ...
kid standin at other kid's shoulder: *points* MUFFIN LOAF! :D

NeedMoreEngines
02-27-2006, 02:18 PM
"Oh I didn't know could just hit it like that"
"Well actually....you can't."

The following was said in a cheesy Irish/Scottish accent:
"Set the shooter from Bake to Broil!"
"I can't captain!"
"Why not lad!?"
"Something's wrong sir! She's stuck on Convect!"
"Aye lad, what's the matter with ye? Ye can't just go changin' speeds all willy-nilly like that! Yer gonna get us all killed!"

AV_guy007
02-27-2006, 03:53 PM
one of ours:
"you know we might want to clean out the little poof ball flakes BEFORE inspection"

AV_guy007
02-27-2006, 04:00 PM
another:
greg:SAM I told you to turn the robot on.

me: i did you forgot to put a battery in

greg: OPPS!.....sam you forgot to put the battrey in.

3five7
02-27-2006, 04:34 PM
One of our mentors: "Code don't break, it just sucks..." :D

Daniel Morse
02-27-2006, 09:54 PM
"Chris, you may want to reconsider your faith in me" -me to a fellow teammate after he said that he had faith in my ability to use a jigsaw and identify a steel cutting blade, and I promptly went and broke the blade.

Dan9874123
02-28-2006, 12:07 AM
"Aparently if you make a car out of poof balls, you will never get a speeding ticket"

We had the local PD come in and try to gauge our shooter speed with a laser gun with pretty bad results

Justin_302
02-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Steimel...delete some code to save some weight

geekofband007
02-28-2006, 05:44 PM
To team members (bobby and chris were screwing a 2 inch screw in when it slipped and stabbed chris in the thumb this is a couple seconds after that.
Chris: I am not going to look but i am pretty sure my figure is bleeding
Bobby: *looks down* yep its bleeding

Bobby: I dream of bunnies George

Me: Ur face is an Idiot

I am sure i will have more a soon as i think of them

geekofband007
02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
got a couple more

Teacher: Time to begin operation Swiss Cheese

Student: Why do swiss cheese when u can use geometric shapes instead(come and see team 213's robot at BAE systems regional or Boston Regional to see the geometric shapes)

Other teacher walks in day after operation swiss cheese: Heard robot went on a Diet. Was it Weight watches or Slim-Fast?

Chris Draper after being asked for a 2 inch screw
Chris: *in high pitched voice* The Uber-screw got to get the Uber-screw!!!!!!!

Dan Commenting or Chris Lenhens ball gatherer during its demo
Dan: Chris! Your collector sucks!

spears312
02-28-2006, 09:43 PM
two words:

"Trust me"

spamified88
02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
"So you mean I have to use the other end of the hammer?"

"Oh, so that's what that thingy does!"

"Feshly cut steel will alyways be hot everytime you try to pick it up!"

"Do robots charge unexpectedly?"

"We don't make mistakes,... we make adjustments." <= That should be our new slogan

"I don't see how you could break 3 bits in 20 mins!?"

"Told ya so!"

Mr. Freeman
02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
"Do what I mean, not what I say" -Mentor

"
Something's wrong..... the bot doesn't turn on. -Mentor 1
Hmmmm.... Try holding the battery higher to prime the cable with electrons (as a joke) -mentor 2
"

"The code doesn't seem to be loading correctly. Perhaps we should try taking about 10 feet out of this cable..." -Mentor 2

NOTE: This is after I decided that I didn't want to carry the robot to the computer to program it so I hooked all the serial cables together. (Works just fine until the cables start coming apart because you didn't attach them to each other securely)

Bill_Hancoc
02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
"Watch out for the house" we are in a drafting room and there was a balsa wood house in the path of our shooter and seconds after this was said the house exploded in balsa wood and poof ball (we hit it)

Rohith Surampudi
02-28-2006, 10:58 PM
"Get this jobby done right quick"
"Whoa _-_-_-_-_ is driving the robot, ill get the allens"
"You broke it again"
"Good enough"
"its not really cheating, its more like an unfair advantage"

Me:"alright we need to fix the prototype chasis,"
Andrew of Fon : "sawsall"

"wait it was light out when i came in, what happened"
"NOT THE LIGHT BOX"
"cut once, curse, cut again, curse again, and hope that you get it right the third time"
"get the sawsall"
"wait we cant use duct tape on the robot"
"so beastly"

underwood
03-01-2006, 12:41 AM
some famous ones
"close enough" -my motto, weird, considering im the best at motor mounts....
"ves!! come clean up your lube!"
"what's a number line?" -our programming captain :rolleyes:

parents night, and someone had rediscovered the labelmaker.
"who put the 'penis' label on rachel?"
then, later...
"alright, who put the label saying 'buttsecks?!?!?' on anik's back before he walked into the parents room?"
^that would be me....

then, last week of build we got chinese food, and i discovered how to remove the fortunes fromt eh fortune cookies, re-label therm, and put them back into the cookie.
"why is my cookie offering me a passionate orgy?"
*not really a quote, but there is this one girl on our team who was terrified by the movie saw, and i got to her cookie...this is the cookie's quote*
"I want to play a game" :D

DinkyDogg
03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
On our team IRC channel:
"[James] jacob go lick a toilet"

I don't even remember what I did to warrant that.

Andrew Y.
03-01-2006, 07:05 AM
"Ok so....our base weighs 100 pounds......we have no shooter, loader, panels....thats not good guys"

"take this picture, and tell everyone its week 3 (week 5)"

"Not a WORD of this reaches MR. Rosen (Lead Teacher).....understand?"

"We just rebuilt the roboti in 2 days.............why?"

"is it just me or is that shaft, screw, gearbox, and frame all going through eachother"

"Andrew, you are going to be single and prom date less by the end of the season. SUCK IT UP"

"We are on STRIKE" Programers

kjhobin
03-01-2006, 07:41 AM
"Saftey Violation!"

vadyr
03-01-2006, 08:45 AM
"now that's more better!"

Daniel Morse
03-01-2006, 04:55 PM
"Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say" -me to the younger students at the beginning of the season {I quickly explained that I was joking, of course}
Note that I did not make up this quote, I found it online, and I thought that it would be perfect.

Chrispy393
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
"It's only a mere flesh wound!" -Whenever someone would get hurt (and I'd usually do some minor flippage.)

"...Alpha-Freshmen..." -The title went around and around...

"TAG!" -New game...er...scare a guy by screaming it and going to kick them where it hurts.

"Hi Paul!...Hi Everybody!"

"No! If I touch it my finger will fall off!" -Fear of soldering...

"Did you kill the fish again Chrispy?!"

Then there was just random stuff that didn't exactly have big quotes...like launching cucumbers (and other veggies), snowball fights, wrestling, "samurai noodle schoolings," and of course random dodgeball fights in tech labs with cameras...and then getting yelled at the next day. Ahh, I'll miss the build season!

AJL930
03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Team Member: "Ya Think we have enough speed holes?"
Myself:" There are never enough speed holes."

Mentor: "Alright, you dont get a root beer float until you eat at least 2 slices of pizza." (This was said by one of our mentors on the last saturday that we were allowed to build. Around 8:00 pm we had a break for dinner, considering we had been working since 9:00am. And for some reason, she brought Ice cream and Root beer, So.....Ya know when in rome.......)

Mentor: (Imitating Crocodille Dundee) Thats not a knife.....(Pulls out his pocket knife) Now thats a knife!

Borgel
03-01-2006, 11:20 PM
"Don't cry, it's just a flesh-wound. It's how the robot shows its affection." (oddly like the one above)

"I'd eat and sleep, but that would put me behind schedule."

"Unfortunately it's not broken, that's the way it's supposed to be."

"So, this makes us the last ones on campus and the first ones on campus, right?" (After working through midnight)

"Robotics took over my life. When I said I was going to a party, she assumed that I meant a robotics conference with food...She was only half right." :D

"Warranty does not cover magic smoke." (Darn that magic smoke)

"Only 40 Amps? Psh, I don't need no spec sheet telling me what to do."

So much robotics goodness. Gotta love it.

Figment
03-01-2006, 11:40 PM
"Chuck Norris has got nothing on Woodie Flowers!" :yikes:

kawelch
03-02-2006, 12:16 AM
"this year you've gotta have balls to score"

Cantwait2008
03-02-2006, 06:59 PM
a few of us said this way too much,

"It's just weight reduction!" :rolleyes:

Kyveck
03-02-2006, 08:21 PM
"Inductively fried speed controller!"

It was our first day with the brand new electronics, and we didn't know what had just happened. When our mentor coined the phase it just stuck...

LightWaves1636
03-02-2006, 08:51 PM
zip ties and duct tape bring the world together

Goober!!!
03-02-2006, 09:02 PM
One thing that I hear the most is "Blame it on the Goober!!!" :D :D :D. I don't know why but they do!!!

Jay W.
03-02-2006, 10:31 PM
"Hand me the Tool of Persuasion." ::get the hammer::

"Hey..the shooter works...LOOK OUT!"

And for the record, Red Vs. Blue is still hilerious at 1:30am, but I wouldn't suggest it, you'll get the team quoting Caboose and Donut the rest of the day.

Michelle Celio
03-02-2006, 11:18 PM
After re-assembling the cart

Me "Mr. J *the mentor* we have a problem"
Mr. J " What..."
Me " this wheel doesn't touch the ground"
Mr. J " Why is that"
Me " Because you let the three girls on the team do it, and one of us doesn't even know what a washer or nut is! "
Mr. J " Oh, that explains it, add more washers!!"

then later on after we got it fixed. One of the other girls goes "So, we RANCHED together the cart...cool" and I go " you said it as if we made a salad, we wrenched it together.."

PIRATECAPTIN
03-02-2006, 11:25 PM
my favorite quotes are:

"I am always right" - My mom

"The CLAW" - Andrew

"If the robot brakes... blame the programers" -various

"Pizza, again?" -various

I'll think of some more later...

anna~marie
03-03-2006, 08:07 AM
-that's a real situation!
-not it's not
-BALLS HAPPEN!!

Erin Rapacki
03-03-2006, 08:15 AM
- Wow, I can't believe it worked!!

Peter Matteson
03-03-2006, 04:37 PM
"Its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission." One we hate admit has truth.

"Wow, that was another case of drive by management." - I popularized this around the office over the last few months to describe a specific phenomena that has been happening and it slips out at FIRST as well.

Daniel Morse
03-03-2006, 09:02 PM
"If you make it Draper-proof, they will build a better Draper."
Well, this didn't happen during the build season, but at BAE Granite State Regional. It was in reference to our operator interface. Our operator has the last name of Draper, and is very hyper and somewhat unpredictable (but he does well).

Wolf103FM
03-04-2006, 03:45 AM
We also had one
"I Like Pudding"... quickly followed by "I love lamp" from someone else
and I often did the Phil Ken Sebben laugh followed by random words when someone said something or a cretain part seemed funny.... (HA HA... random word)
sometimes the Peter Griffin Laugh, or even Beavis and Butthead laughter and quotes

Me: forget the snow, I'd rather play in the metal shavings

Alex Cormier
03-04-2006, 10:32 PM
here's one i had a few weeks ago.

"the problem is balls have a mind of thier own, so it's hard to control them and push them."

rachal
03-05-2006, 12:38 AM
"Okay, so what if the balls get sucked into a giant screw that rotates, and they get ejected by--what! stop laughing at me!"

"Our robot SUCKS BALLS."

"The misaligned holes along the sides are so ugly..."
"They add character."
"What about that chunk of metal we were too lazy to cut off the shooter?"
"It adds character."
"And all the zip ties-"
"THEY ADD CHARACTER >:["

"This room is so messy."
"Oh, come on...the table is visible today!"

Underwood: *holds piece of plywood over his head* Hey I'm under wood!
Jay: HA HA WITT-EE WITT-EE.

Ves: I bet the robot's underweight.
Vijay: I bet it's not!
Ves: If I lose, I'll make you an aluminum sprocket. ON A BAND SAW AND DRILL PRESS.
Robot: *is one pound overweight*
Ves: =p

This quote is from last year, but it's pretty priceless.
"The bot is getting more action than us -- it gets hammered and drilled every day!"

Schneidie
03-05-2006, 06:30 PM
One of my favorites was a frustrated student "That's all I'll ever do. Hold things for Pelan. I'm worthless!

Commanchetruck
03-06-2006, 08:57 PM
MEHRRRRRRRR and America, @#%$ YEAH!!

killerofkiller
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
" Go get me a metric Crescent Wrench please" < an anonymous rookie

Peter Matteson
03-07-2006, 12:44 PM
" Go get me a metric Crescent Wrench please" < an anonymous rookie

Ummmm... :confused: I thought the senior people were supposed to tell the rookies that to mess with them. :D

chs_gina
03-07-2006, 04:13 PM
This is Anna...

gina-haha, you have a what?!
anna-a dog
gina-oh, hahahhaahahahahahahahahha i thought you said you enjoy bogs.

andy[woody flowers winner]-(while doing the robot)i love robots. i love robots. i love themmmmmm. ima nerd? yes. correct-omungo. hoo-rah?
hoola.
mr kelso-alrighty, you is a crazy.

anna- I LOVE ROBOTS MORE.

davis-sometimes, or, algunes veces for all yah spanish speak-ahs; robots are bumpin'.

kason-man o' man, i wish our robot had hair as great as mine, do i ever.

Danielle H
03-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Hm.. Chrispy wanted to say one that happened at the Statehouse today...
"Is Clark driving?!?"

Hm... then there's...

Bryce: "Clark, dude, you almost hit the wall, let me drive."
*Bryce slams into a locker fowards and then backs it up into the same locker*
TJ: "Well, there goes those lockers..."

Hallie: *laughes*
All of team: "Oh no.. Spawn of Satan..."

Thre aren't many more that I can think of right now...

i like dirt
03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
" We Should have ____________"
" We Could have _____________"
" We didn't _____________"
" My Idea would have been___________"(better/worse)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys fill in the blanks :confused:

King Bob
03-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Sidney, the programmer and Adam, an alumni are working when somebody tells Sidney to come and fix a paper jam in the printer.
Sidney- "Yay I get to fix a paper jam!"

Adam- "What the hell is wrong with you?! Nobody should ever get that excited about a paper jam."

This one isn't from build but it was still hilarious.
Spiers was welding something and Darryl was holding it in place. Spiers stops...
Darryl- "Spiersy, are you done yet?"

Spiers- "No."

Darryl- (in a sad voice) "Aaaaaaaawwwwww"

Another good one from last year when our captain is going off about flathead screws.

"Whoever invented flathead screws should be shot!"

Cuog
03-07-2006, 08:21 PM
As we stopped for gas half way to the DC Scrimmage:

"Hey Mr. Taylor can I get the OI out of your van me and Riblet need it?"__me
"Uh, what do you need it for?"
"Autonomous Testing"

mechanicalbrain
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Eliot: "The website looks good."
Stephen: "I'll fix that."

"I don't know the solution, but I admire the problem."
- Scott H., regarding this year's challenge.

Josh: "Dumbledore is like Tupac -- He ain't dead. I hear Dumbledore's releasing a new album in April."
Alvin: "I wouldn't be surprised if Dumbledore = Tupac."

"Chuck Lanctot was bugging people for weight estimates of specific robot systems. He asked me 'How much is the drive train and chassis going to weigh this year?' I said that I didn't know yet, but he kept asking. Without thinking I answered 'Approximately half a Lanctot.'" (People should read our content on the Lanctots, their is a huge amount of jokes that make no sense but have them as the center. And no none of them were malicious.)
- Colin H.

"Colin is cuter than Chris's mailbox." (So not true, my mail box could beat Colin any day)
- Kristin L.

Peter Matteson
03-07-2006, 10:12 PM
I just remembered a personal favorite to use:
"That's a great solution without a problem." or "That's a great solution looking for a problem."

prettycolors91
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
"hey chairman girl, get over here so you can take a picture of me and chuck ninja-fighting with the turret and ball-spinny-thing"

"What do you mean you didn't want me to click 'submit' yet?"-Me :rolleyes:

"Stop smiling"-Ken :D

"Buffkins are a rare indonesian delicasy only eaten on the third full moon of every other year. Duh."

"Umm...Ken...Whats wrong with the water jet?"

prettycolors91
03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
"You wanna go hang out in the elevator?" :rolleyes:

Danielle H
03-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Yesterday morning: "Yea 350 miles (that's 8 hours) in the SHORT BUS!!!"
Everyone: "WhOoOoOoO!!!!!"

irishninja
03-09-2006, 08:21 AM
"Oops."

I think this one is applicable to any team, any season, but...

UnknownUser1989
03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
i think my favorite sayin this year was from my mentor. His 2 great sayings were: Thanx to all the people who got on their hands n knees and grabed balls. Peter let me play with ur balls! Peter: Mike I'm not 18 yet hang on. Thank you Mike Wherley :yikes:

FF_1610_EMT
03-09-2006, 10:54 AM
builders says: "its the programmers fault"
programmers say: "its the builders fault"
i say: OH SH!T MY THUMB" when i nail it with the hammer while reassembling the crate. :D
"INCOMING" for when the shooter goes wild and starts shooting all over the place.

Katy
03-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Student: Katy can you please bring me the thingy?
Me: Sure...erm...which thingy do you want?
Student: The thingy! You know! It puts the jobber in. I dunno what its called yet.

(Me responding to hearing every toilet on the floor begin flushing)
Me: Girls...girls! Stop that immediately! The toilets are not toys!
(Turns out I was yelling at a janitor).

Student: Executive Summary...team essays...Chairmen's Submission...why do they keep asking the same questions over and over?

"No we don't have another masterlink. Lets start searching the carpet."

(followed by)

"Yesterday that excitement included driver tryouts and searching for missing pieces of I squared robot's broken chain" - Worcester Telegram and Gazette

Trinh (student to mentor): Katy I think we need to take away your hammer privileges.

Elibo: I don't understand Miss
Me: Don't call me Miss. Its weird. I'm just one year older than the seniors in your school.
Elibo: Sorry Miss.

Me: Elizabeth put your shoes on! That's very unsafe!
Elibo: But Miss I just came back from basketball practice and my feet smell bad...

Me: Guys...this music is ok to dance to...but could we listen to something else when working? This stuff is all the same song...
Mechi: You dance? To our music?
Elibo: No...you're old miss.

Mentor from another team: Doesn't that kid ever smile?
Me: She smiles when she is running the bandsaw.

Veselin Kolev
03-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Many, many times this quote came up while putting our robot together...

"Just stretch it out, it'll fit fine!"

Like when we were fitting the belt and the pulleys on our collector... they were cut to tense length, so it was hard to mount. No tensioners involved :P

It's hilarious when you think about it. Our robot was a strange mixture of handcut parts and precision machined and welded parts. There are no machined parts over an elevation of one foot, everything was drilled, sawed, riveted, etc. You know, to fit it all together, it just took some... stretching.

I guess another quote that came up a lot was...

"Just use carb cleaner!"

Yea. When our WD-40 can ran out, we started using carb cleaner. After we used it on out transmission. After we were all kindof woozey from the vapors. Good times.

There are some things that can solve all problems. Duct tape, carb cleaner, zip ties, clamps, 1/8" drill bits. Oh, and hammers.

Ty Tremblay
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
"This is my frined BOB."

!DOM!
03-09-2006, 03:28 PM
" Why is everything bent?"

" Is that supposed to happen?"

" why is this crooked?"

F:" Why does everything have to be your way?"
J: "....Cause i know what I am doing.?

This is what an un educated freshman(who thinks he knows what he's doing) to a well educated junior.

Libby K
03-09-2006, 07:33 PM
THE BEST OF ALL TIME.

upperclassman-"god, you're bossy"
me-"no, i just know what it is that YOU'RE supposed to be doing."

you ALL forget the classic "SCREW IT!!!"

we had a great convo about screws.
it involved(in order)
-screw it
-harder
-faster
-you're crooked!
-do you need the girls to do it, or can you boys handle it on your own (me)

we basically ended up having to stop work to die of laughter.

and, being one of the only girls on the team (and the only one at the meeting)

our captain: hey....we need someone to vacuum. LIBBY!!!!

and, there's one kid who can't put it thru his head that my family relations in FIRST have nothing to do with how i should be treated (i.e. he thought i was extra-special....which in SOME ways i know i am.)

same upperclassman who said i was bossy- ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY KAMEN GIRL.
*entire team kneels on floor and bows repeatedly*
"the mighty kamen girl...the mighty kamen girl...."

my team flippin' OWNS. deal.

|20807 61|2|_
03-09-2006, 08:00 PM
"TANDOOR: YOUR MOM'S KITCHEN!"

lol good times!!

IraJason
03-09-2006, 08:17 PM
"Where are my sensors?"

-Our head programmer, who will never let us forget that we never did put the sensors he wanted on the bot.

"He's there again, isn't he?"

-Mr. Kressly talking about me when I come up behind him to talk for the thousandth time.

Kressly: Did you come here looking for me?
me: No... This is my homeroom.

-Kressly assuming I walked into a room looking for him as I usually am, when I'm supposed to be in that room for homeroom anyway.

Danielle H
03-10-2006, 10:25 AM
There's always the classic, "We're having ISSUES."

-whether it be with the bot, with each other, or with the STUPID COMPUTERS.

DHarris
03-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Just another of those random moments with the mentor.

Me: "My back hurts"
Mr. Jiles: "Well, you know what's worse than a bad back?"
Me: "Um.... :confused:"
Jiles: "A bad front! :D "

This happened when we were test-driving the robot in front of some students down the senior hallway.

Ms. Manuel: "Now, Dana, push the joystick slowly forward, and watch out for those loc-"
Me: "Whoops!"
Manuel: *sigh* "Dana...move. Just...move."

The night the FedEx guy arrived:

Ms. Payne: "Hey, let's put Dana in the crate and ship her with the robot"

Oh, and my personal favorite, the one thing I said the most during build season.

"You know what? Screw it!"

goods
03-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Heres a good one:

"Why the hell is the robot not turning off?"

we had a bad breaker.... The robot failed to turn off, of course the next breaker we put in shorted out.

MattD1Drift
03-10-2006, 11:21 PM
"WE SUCK AGAIN!"
After we decided to make our shooter 'semi-adjustible'

Michelle Celio
03-10-2006, 11:26 PM
After the first day of regionals, I was really tired and we were walking from the tent pits at UCF to the area pits, and one of my team mates was just rambling on to me, and I just say "OMG EDDIE SHUT UP I'M TIRED" and everyone started laughing. And even today, we talked about it and laughed...don't really get why it's funny. But yeah =]

The_Gman
03-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Here are a few Quotes from the pittsburgh regional from my team :D

(During weight test)

*- Its 120.7 pounds. Overweight, sorry.

CJ - Dont hand me that! (takes 2 bungie cables off)

"The one side isnt working! CHECK THE PROGRAMING! Check it!"

"Programing is Fine! Wait you hear that?" (Motor on non working side running, so they look into the transmission to see whats the matter)

"You fogot the gears!!!!"

Yes my team forgot to put the gears into the one transmission, lol.

FusionFluff279
03-12-2006, 04:39 PM
"Sell The Gazelle!!"

After ship and before our regional event, we were explaining to some of the first years about pit marketing, and the like. While explaining this we mentioned how loud the pits can get and how enthusiasm is really needed. As this is brought up, one of our student mentors comes over and reminds us of the guy that sells the exercise equipment called the Gazelle. I'm not sure how many of you have seen that infomercial but that guy is hyped. So after that we began to tell everyone to "Sell The Gazelle".

Matt Royek
03-12-2006, 05:33 PM
"Let's Go Have It" (http://media.putfile.com/Lets-Go-Have-It)

If you were at the Pittsburgh Regional, you might have heard it. It is a bit of a story about how a team at a previous regional (which I wasn't at) was chanting something inaudibly, and we opted to poke fun at it with the name above.

Also worth noting, one of our team members was assigned the job of Safety Captain, and one of us coined him with the nickname "Safety Monkey", ala Penny Arcade. Well, throughout the entire regional, we all called him Safety Monkey for everything. Everything.

"Safety Monkey, I cut myself!"

"Safety Monkey, where is your gracious professionalism?"

And he even referred to himself in the third person, with the nickname.

"Safety Monkey didn't do that, now quit bothering him!"

nehalita
03-12-2006, 07:53 PM
"God if I have to listen to you argue one more time..."
"...but we LIKE arguing"

Arefin Bari
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
"::crying:: omg you are so arggghhhh, grrrrrrr, let me... grrrrrr"
"shhhh"

Chriszuma
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
In the van returning from GLR:

Adam: you just woke up really spastically
Josh (dazedly): Sorry, my hair's just really short...

plutonium83
03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
"Its not every day you get to shoot a police car"

We wanted to test the speed of our shooter, foruntately one of our mentors had connections with the Ithaca Police Department. They sent a squad car and we shot balls at its radar detector. Problem solved!

"Our cart has legs"

Since FLR was our only regional, we wanted to save money by taking it on the bus. Unforunately, busses weren't allowed to come close enough to the docking area. We had two pieces of the crate, plus the robot to move with only 2 carts. As a result, we had to carry the second half of our crate. We had 8 people carrying it, it was a great team effort!

Melough
03-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Most of my favorites came from when one of the students found easy grader pro on his computer and decided to grade the engineers on perfomance and design.

Me: Do you really want me to make this? This is probably one of the worst designs I have ever seen. Minus 5 on design.
R: I'm pretty sure I already have a zero, so yes I want you to make this part.

Things like this happened a lot. Man of the engineers were disapointed with their grades.

Idaman323
03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
"Quick Shut It Off!"

"Time for our morning two liter for 53 cents run. Whos coming?"

"Oops"

"Why are trying to weld metal ontop of wood with a gas welder...?"

"Well guys, the reason we sat here for 3 hours trying to figure out why our robot was not moving was because the PWM cables were in the Relay outputs... stupid electronics people..." -hehe... that was a pain in the butt.

nehalita
03-13-2006, 10:47 PM
mentor (exasperated): "Neha you're too smart to be an airhead..."

tammuoisau
03-13-2006, 11:31 PM
"It's not a dimplelizer, it's a spring-loaded center punch."

Our mentor always wanted us to use actual center punch and mallet instead of a spring-loaded center punch.

anna~marie
03-15-2006, 03:23 PM
driver 1 - that's not a realistic situation!
driver 2 - Yes it is!!! BALLS HAPPEN

Peter Matteson
03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
"It not a mistake! Its a feature."

Hunter Levesque
03-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if someone from my team already posted this. We call poof balls SGO's for Spherical Game Objects. We were talking strategy for the first week or two of build season and all this talk of "balls" got kind of suggestive.

Cuog
03-15-2006, 09:25 PM
"Its not a glitch its a new feature, we just dont know how to use it yet"

ScoutingNerd175
03-19-2006, 07:57 PM
"We now have a Mr. Coffee and a Mrs. Tea Pot"

"Go Nickstine"- in reference to our drivers, Nick and Kristine

"What's wrong with Martin"
"He has Cancer cause Mr. O sprayed him in the mouth with Methyl Ethyl Bad Stuff"- About one team member accidentally ingesting Methylene Chloride

"It's an Electrical Problem"- The Mechanical people
"It's a programing problem"- The electrical people
"It's clearly a mechanical problem"- The programmer

"The robot is overweight by 10 pounds, I don't think we can weight reduce that"
"It's Nick's fault, the code is too heavy."

"We can measure the robot by having Mel walk by it."

"You are now on the list of competent freshman."
"Who's on the list?"
"You"

"I need the easy strippers. I only like strippers when they are easy."

"If you abuse the easy button, you become it."
"What does that mean?"
"We hit you and you say 'That was easy'"

"Chris put males on both ends of the PWM, you know what that means"

"What if we keep the easy button on the drivers station and hit it every time we win a match, even if it wasn't easy."
"That would be a good way to make people hate us."

"Great scouting"
"That was only half scouting. The first half was aggressive self promotion."- Me after we won Chesapeake and people were complementing my scouting.

StephLee
03-19-2006, 10:54 PM
More from 1629:

"Ow, I broke myself."
Team member when he collapsed sideways off of a chair in the hotel, in slow motion, from a standing position, near some rather expensive electronics. Why he was standing on the chair, no one knows; we were watching scouting tape on a projector at the time.

"The code is fine, the robot just gets stagefright!"

"Get your head out of the shooter!"

"I don't care if it's bent, it adds character."

Me, to a driver: You need to watch your feet when I move the cart.
Driver: Don't worry, you won't hurt my feet.
Me: I'm not worried about your feet, I just don't want you to drop the robot!

Gluedtothefloor
03-19-2006, 11:25 PM
A mentor to me when cutting metal

"Be careful. It wouldnt be too smart to kill yourself."

Same mentor when cuttin lexan with an angle grinder

"You might wanna watch out for the pieces of lexan flying around, they could hurt"

dont remember who

"What are you doing?!?!"

"Hey dont worry, its just temperory"

Jaine Perotti
03-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Emily: Jaine, stop hitting on my boyfriend!
Jaine: What, you don't like it when he takes things off for me?

(When I was bugging her boyfriend, John, to take out a drill bit from the drill press, which I was too weak to wedge loose.)

Stuart
03-20-2006, 01:40 AM
"dont worry the final version will work better"

"someone go get the wood stretcher"

"were out of wire ties"

"I just need 2 more nuts"

rachal
03-20-2006, 02:08 AM
"Are you sure the robot is under five feet?"
Me: "Yeah it must be, it's only a couple inches taller than me" =P

underwood
03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
"THE ROBOTS NOT SUCKING BALLS ANYMORE!!!" -after the collector stopped

Uberbots
03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
"Look at the pretty magic smoke!" - some coach trying to be funny.
"Oh no wonder." -Me, after realising a basic syntax error after hours of coding :blush:

Cuog
03-20-2006, 08:28 PM
"Programming why is the robot veering toward the left?"_Someone on mechanical
"I dunno my code works right and send the same info to both not my fault"_Me
"What about electrical?"
"Nope we switched around victors and all and it still does it"_Me and Matt almost in unison
"Say you did lubricate the gearboxes not like last year right?"_Me
"Yeah, well i guess we will never know"_Mechanical person

"The tether cables have 2 female ends and everyone keeps stealing them from us i guess everyone just wants female to female connections... Wait not like that stop laughing"_Joey

thatphotochick
03-20-2006, 09:00 PM
"you never die or leave the team..you just start fading away over time" made by mentor bill vinnage

Neo3One3
03-20-2006, 09:20 PM
"Bring me the Bible!" -Me when asking for the book, The Joy of C.
"Take off some of that $#*@ code!" -Every mechanical engineer on the team while we were .1lb over the limit.
"HEY BARBRA!" -Ed (don't ask)

duck1370
03-20-2006, 09:42 PM
"zip tie it..."

"what did you do that for?"

and of course my personal favorite...

"i don't think thats gonna work"

White_Orpheus
03-21-2006, 12:26 AM
"It's a trap!"
"We can't repel firepower of that magnitude!"
"Aborten Ze Mission!"
"Snakes!"
"Paper dip doesn't rhyme with cat"
"Start fighting, or I'll find someone who can"
"Crrrrrrrazy bread!"

Sharkbyte
03-21-2006, 01:30 AM
"Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear warfare."

underwood
03-21-2006, 01:45 AM
not really in build, but at the SVR team social

"bring it on, freshman" -sameer, right before I owned his sorry rear end in sumo suit wrestling :D

(they just call me freshman, I'm a sophomore...)

Éowyn
03-21-2006, 06:46 PM
"It's a trap!"
"We can't repel firepower of that magnitude!"
"Aborten Ze Mission!"
"Snakes!"
"Paper dip doesn't rhyme with cat"
"Start fighting, or I'll find someone who can"
"Crrrrrrrazy bread!"
These quotes must be from a movie, but what one?

thatphotochick
03-21-2006, 07:20 PM
one of out teachers/mentors is mr campbell..and we started compiling a list of "campbellisms"

"Boom boom ouch is a bad thing!"

"I'm just going to take my box of puff tissues and go next door and cry"

"We can hand out Puffs to the other teams so they can wipe the tears out of their eyes after we beat them!
We can hand out Puffs to teams crying for joy after we choose them to go to the finals with us!"

"No, your wrong, it works fine!"

"we needed this done like yesterday"

"The campbell way is the right way"

'They call me Dave Campbell, Master of the Obvious, nothing gets by me!'

"Ive been trying to teach my daughter not to use bad words like stupidhead and idiot. I tell her to say Farmer instead..."
(This with Norm standing right there....) (norm, for who stormin norman was named after, is a farmer and one of our most beloved mentors)

"Oh, this is bad, I need to run and extra 4 miles tomorrow." The whole time slamming down cookies and psuedo mud pie dessert.

and when asked by an unnamed member for his favorite campbellism, his response: "BEER AND CHICKEN!" (why..nobody as yet to figure it out..since campbell has never, probably, said beer in his life)

MacFlightSierra
03-21-2006, 08:09 PM
"Mr. Wong can stretch steel chain"

-- it took one of our mentors 5 seconds to put the last drive chain on, after the team tried to do it for an hour

UnderDark
03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
"Some ways to lose weight:
PROGRAMMING:
-Delete Comments
-Delete semi-colons
-Delete Whitespace
-Delete all variables and use a single 'long double' array.
..."

Chriszuma
03-21-2006, 09:46 PM
The next person to say "Autonomous" is getting pistol-whipped!

general
03-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Hello I'm the "webmaster" for the Dirty Birds, and our website now has a quotes page where you can add any of your teams quotes. Heres the link, http://www.khsfirst.com/quotes.php Please add some.

PS. Thanks for all that helped me out.

TubaMorg
03-22-2006, 03:15 PM
1 day before ship...our robot is overweight and we are sawing off components....our teacher/mentor walks by:

"Hey Paloma!" (the teacher)"How tall are you?"
"uh...5 ft."
"Hmmm, how much do you weigh?"
"120 lbs., why?"
"Hmmm. I think you might make it through the legal parts flow chart! Let's throw her in the crate!"
"Uh Mr. Morgan, I don't think she can hold 10 poof balls."
"Errrrr. RATS!"

EStokely
03-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Katy said:(as her quote)
Trinh (student to mentor): Katy I think we need to take away your hammer privileges.

Now thats funny!

And a few quotes that still bring smiles from 360

"Can we use mirrors?"

"James did what?"

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" (I still like this one)

Criv "Stokely, the robot doesn't turn left!"
Stokely"Well, go right for a while"

Also, anything said at 8:30 or later at night with a Russian accent is funny

sheltie234
03-23-2006, 05:29 PM
"I'm not being mean; it's just constructive criticism. Now fix it."

Schneidie
03-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I think one of the more amusing ones was :Hand me the toool of persuasion" It took me a minute to figure out he meant a hammer.

anna~marie
03-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey! That happened this year with my team too!!!
crazy... those robotics people with their jargon :rolleyes:

ScoutingNerd175
03-24-2006, 04:26 PM
"HEY BARBRA!" -Ed (don't ask)
Let's just say that the student in question is A) Not named Barbra and B) Not Female. :)

Tetraman
03-26-2006, 01:13 AM
"Nerd Pride" ~ Woodie Flowers

You can't beat that folks.

hallk
03-26-2006, 08:19 PM
So we were at the team social at the zoo. We are walking up to the ape exhibit when one of the kids runs up "I want to see the humans." She sees the apes "Look at the bears." We kept asking her what are you talking about. She was serious, five minutes later she went "I meant gorillas." It was funny, she had no idea what she was saying.

Daniel Morse
03-31-2006, 03:14 PM
End of the season, one of the engineering mentors (who speaks with a heavy Indian accent) helping program autonomous mode said "automoutomous mode". I have yet to stop quoting it.

Ken Leedle
03-31-2006, 04:48 PM
On the day of ship...
"Okay you guys, we've got to work like there's no tomorrow, cuz there is no tomorrow!!!" -Me

Me - "Hey, where is the _____"
Justin - "I put it away in the toolbox"

Me - "Don't write 706 on my dad's tools!!!"

Joe J.
03-31-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm fairly sure I sent an email to Not2B that ended with the sentence
"I could do more math on it, but my fish tank just sprung a leak. Got to go."

“Our team is made up of the dumbest smart people”

Rick TYler
03-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Admiring the new chassis: "Oooo, nerd bling!"

GuitarManiac511
03-31-2006, 09:23 PM
lets see............

"What the hell is that?... " (long, awkward silence) "... " (no answer)

"I don't know.............."

"Uhhh.................. what?"

"can you repeat the question?" (My famous quote)

"Who?" (When told to find people on our team)

A: "Duct tape........"
B: "...But it's illegal!"
C: "Only if you can see it...."
A & B: "Good point..."

"I don't know............................ no, really.... I don't..." (Answer to most questions)

"Did our balls drop?" (when releasing foam balls from robot)

"Where's this go?"

A: "Whats the autonomous do?"
B: "Yes..."
A: "... ... ... ... .. .. . . . "
A: "What's it do?"
B: "No..."
A: "?"
- After the match...
"Josh ! ? &%*#$*&%#&*$%^" :ahh: :mad: :confused: :eek: :mad: - (There was autonomous...)
"Oops..."

Mentor 1: "All I heard was, 'Blah Blah yeah Blah, Coles paying for breakfast'."
Cole: "What?!"
Mentor 2: "Who wants IHop?"
- Sadly, Cole never paid for the IHop, but we ate there anyways

A: "Is it suposed to do that?"
B: "uhh........ not sure..."
A: "Should we fix it"
B: "Later, lunch first..."
- We forgot to fix the autonomous mode... again....

There's more, but I forgot em......

StandingInRain0
04-02-2006, 09:58 PM
"so, basically we're saying we want the robot to suck balls?"

(written on a board):
maeneurvering
(suppossed to be manuvering)

Nuttyman54
04-02-2006, 10:08 PM
"It needs to resist rotational torque"
"As opposed to...?"

Sharkbyte
04-03-2006, 12:15 AM
-"it's not broken, it just lacks duct tape"

-Other person:"what happened to your arm?!" :ahh:
-Me:"is it actively bleeding?"
-Other person:"No"
-Me:"then it's the one from last week" :cool:
(that was actually said!!!)

Mona
04-03-2006, 03:01 PM
"SHUTUP NEIL"

"NEIL BE QUIET"

"GO AWAY NIEL"

Neil-the chickens dry
me-im gunna punch you in your face

------------------------------------
haha anyone on 1620 will get this right away

FourPenguins
04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
"Have Sal spit-weld it!"--about one of our mentors, who can do absolutely anything, including solvent weld any substance with his spit
"Well, he can do SalTastic CADing, which is done entirely in your head, or on a piece of cardboard."--about Sal's son Nick, and why he doesn't need to learn Inventor
"It's SNC. Sal Numeric Cutting. It's done with a Jigsaw and is based on SalTastic CAD files."--more on Sal (he's a beast isn't he?)
"It's crazy inches."--when we can't get a precise measurement of a roughcut part to draw it.
"Is that KevinCAD?"--one of the end effectors kids CADing in Paint.
"I know, let's take out the ball bearings to save weight! Oh wait, we tried that already..."--trying to make weight the day after we cracked open the turntable on our turret
"Did you teach it to fly yet?"--my constant question to a certain member of the team
"This is just like Vex...with a gun"--me to Mike the day the challenge is released (we were simultaneously captaining the Vex team)
"Where's the syntax??? I need the syntax!!!"--one of our programers asking for soda (not syntax) at midnight after coding for way too many hours straight.
I will think of more!!!

FourPenguins
04-03-2006, 03:56 PM
"Whoever invented flathead screws should be shot!"
So very true. The hierarchy of screws is as follows:
Allen/Hex
Bolt Head
Phillips
Torx (not for suckiness, just for uncommononity)[/
Those weird screws they use on Nintendo systems to stop modders
The lowly flathead, which can in no way be gripped by a driver of any kind.

CatchRothy22
04-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Ed, I honestly love you. Brings back alot of good moments.

"I use saftey glasses, I just take them off when I'm cutting and sh** like that"
- Mr. Van Glahn.

"If you're not bleeding, you're not on drive train."

----

Max Thrun got a nosebleed coding autonomous mode for serveral hours straight before we shipped the robot.

"TOO MUCH CODE! HIS HEAD EXPLODED".

I then held a tissue up to Max's nose while he finished the rest of the program.

kaszeta
04-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Team 95's top quote was "Do you think that is going to work?" while people are building various subsystems of the robot ("No, we're building this just to see it fail..."). After a while a became a running joke, and it is even written on the bot now.

That, and we have a traditional of designating the "button boy" (the person pushing the programming button) and the "door boy" (the person who goes downstairs and answers the door to the clubhouse after-hours). Either needing the program button pushed (which, in a feat of mechanical design, was very well buried in the final bot, along with the programming and tether ports) or needing the door opened would be accompanied by a loud scream of "BUTTON BOY!!!!" or "DOOR BOY!!!". Oddly, both positions were sought-after.

Oh, and I can't forget the various and sundry promises that, unlike previous years, that this year we actually will get a finished robot for the programmers to work with before ship date. Well, at least this year we actually had two weeks with the drive train to try out...

anna~marie
04-04-2006, 07:24 AM
our team leader this year, Walt -

HOT HOT ... kabammmeee!!

hallk
04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't need sleep, just more Mountain Dew. Oh, and a muffin.
Said by the mechanical team after working on the bot for nearly two days straight before ship.

Po-ser
04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Most of my favorites were said online.

"oh well i think i will have to start going to church again"
-this year's president

[14:11] guitdude182: oh man
[14:11] guitdude182: im watching galileo match videos
[14:12] Cluskum35: ?
[14:12] Cluskum35: Galileo's dead, Yon
[14:12] Cluskum35: And even if he were alive, he wouldn't be your friend

[20:23] Cluskum35: Cool
[20:23] tmbg37: heh, what do you mean, cool?
[20:24] Cluskum35: That's a cool idea
[20:24] tmbg37: oh, i thought you meant that it was a crappy idea
[20:25] Cluskum35: Yes, that's exactly what I meant when I said "cool"
[20:26] tmbg37: cool

[21:33] David: i have something to ask your opinion on
[21:33] Cluskum35: Sure
[21:35] David: it's this idea
[21:35] David: as a robotics fundraiser
[21:35] Cluskum35: Okay
[21:35] David: to sell calendars
[21:35] David: calendars with robotics team members on them
[21:36] David: i hesitate to call them pinups
[21:36] David: but if that helps get the idea across... :ahh:

(At competition)
E: Why aren't you guys getting your safety inspection?
Me: We're underweight.
E: So?
Me: So we're adding more stuff.

Katlyn_Butzin
04-05-2006, 07:16 PM
*starts to rivit the spiral to the bot*
K-"Trust me i can rivit my dad has me do it all the time"
M-" are you sure?"
K-"yes watch"
**pinches finger in the rivit gun*
K-"ouch!"
M-"u are no longer our rivit girl!"
(maybe its because my dad has an air powered rivit gun! lol....
((*Katy*)) :D

Shiny1629
04-06-2006, 09:39 PM
this wasn't exactly said during the build season, but it is still funny. i was asked to describe our robot by a person that wouldn't understand the more complex words so i said that it basically sucks and blows balls.-this was before the Pittsburgh regionals. then at the Chesapeake regional, i said, "i'm going out with Meshach." meaning i was going to go to the stands when Meshach left the pit, but apparently the guys on the team did not see it that way. now my best friend-our coach-pointed out to me that our robot is named after a guy and when i put that together with what i said at Chesapeake and how i had described the robot, i screamed, "You mean i am going out with a GAY ROBOT!"

Nuttyman54
04-06-2006, 10:50 PM
my best friend-our coach-pointed out to me that our robot is named after a guy and when i put that together with what i said at Chesapeake and how i had described the robot, i screamed, "You mean i am going out with a GAY ROBOT!"

So that guy Meshach is really a robot. And you're his boyfriend, so that makes you...a gay robot! (anyone who's seen Red V. Blue should get this)

Andy Baker
04-06-2006, 11:23 PM
OK... it was not during the build season, but rather on the bus as we travelled through Buffalo, New York:

"Just because I speak fluent Klingon does not mean that I am a Trekkie"

Andy B.

liltweetwee
04-07-2006, 06:31 PM
"AAH! I'm not green!"

This when our robot decided to autonomously chase after a programmer.

Jherbie53
04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
OK this has now officially become a 2006 quotes thread, not just whats been said during the six week build season, but anything said during the year.

Heres one from Boilermaker, On the way back to the hotel after the team social, the van I was riding is pasted a StarBucks. We then started talking about StarBucks and One of our drive team members said, "White hot chocolate from StarBucks is the shizz." We started cracking up after she said that, we also say it when ever we see her.

That had to be one of my favorite moments from attending Boilermaker this year.

Sharkbyte
04-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Is there a battery in?
No, it's a wireless robot

Joe J.
04-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Lightning Robotics safety tips of the day: (from regionals)

Remember Stupid hurts!

Don't Lick wheel while in motion.

StephLee
04-08-2006, 09:07 PM
At a sleepover with several team members(last night actually):

"OW, I knocked my hand unconcious!!!"
"Where is your foot?" "I don't know, do you see it anywhere?"
"My tongue is broken."
"I like cheese." "Oh yeah well I like robots."
*long argument about whether we should have won a particular match during eliminations at Chesapeake* "It doesn't matter, we're going to Atlanta!!" "...good point."

At dinner on Friday night of Chesapeake, when we were undefeated and in first place(as we stayed), I was talking to some of our mentors about the drive train changes we had tried to make on Thursday. We had tried to upgrade from the small CIM motors to the big ones on our drive, and had discovered the flaws with the standard conversion plate. In the end, we changed the gear ratios to give us more speed instead. I still sort of wished we had gone more defensive since the beginning, and this conversation came about...

Me: ...if we had done that, we would've-
Mentor: We would've been in, what, FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?
Everyone at table: *laughs*
(I admitted, he was right...but I still love defense :cool: )

StephLee
04-08-2006, 09:14 PM
So that guy Meshach is really a robot. And you're his boyfriend, so that makes you...a gay robot! (anyone who's seen Red V. Blue should get this)

This is Shiny1629 using StephLee's account...Dude, I'm a girl. :p So that makes me...a girl going out with a gay robot. (I'm very obvious.) :D

StephLee
04-08-2006, 10:49 PM
More...that the three of us, at part 2 of the sleepover mentioned in a previous post tonight, just came up with...

We were just talking about something a team did at Chesapeake...the team was at both Pittsburgh and Chesapeake, like us, so Sarah said "Wait, was that today??" (Sarah's going to bed soon...)

At lunch at a pizza place:
Philip: Hey Steph, are those plates?
Me: No, Philip, they're big, hard, reusable NAPKINS!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

At Wendy's, after my first experience watching part of a competition, I see a sign advertising a BLT salad..."Why is there a robot in the salad??"

Our infamous list of "car quotes":

"ZACH!!!!!! PULL YOUR PANTS BACK UP!!!!! THERE ARE GIRLS IN THE CAR!!!!!!!" -said by Zach's dad, who was driving...I swear, nothing bad was going on, but I'll leave you to your imaginations on that one...hehe.

James was extremely tired and had a Snickers bar wrapper and a pocket knife...so....he started shredding the wrapper to keep himself awake.
"OW, I poked myself...OOOOWW, I poked myself AGAIN..."*many times later*"James, PUT THAT AWAY!!!!!!!"

Philip in the car...
It gets dark outside. 10 minutes later..."HEY, it got dark!!!"
The car stops. 10 minutes later..."HEY, we stopped!!!"
The car starts moving. 10 minutes later..."HEY, we're moving!!!"

Philip:*slowly moves highlighter RIGHT beside my face*
Me: AHHHHH!! Jeez, don't DO that!!!
Philip:*waits 10 seconds, does it again*
Me:*grabs highlighter and chucks it at Philip*
We never saw the highlighter again... :eek:

A team member's younger brother, when seeing lights in the sky....
"What are those?...AHHHHHHHHHH, ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Trying to find our way out of Pittsburgh...
James:Hey, we passed that last night on our way to dinner!!
Me: DANG IT...there's that cathedral...
James:That means...
Me:Yep...45 minute circle around Pittsburgh...there's the arena again...

Trying to find the arena at Pittsburgh...
Me:Hey, look, it's a dinosaur with a top hat!!! (Dinosaur statue, it was SERIOUSLY there!!!)
Everyone:*looks at me like I'm crazy*
James:It's got a bow tie, too!!

James:*working on BOM in the car, on a laptop*Hey, I wonder how far down I can make this Excel sheet go....
Me:I really shouldn't have given you that computer, should I?
James:Nope.

Signs held to the car window:
"HONK IF YOU HATE TRAFFIC!!"
"$5 FOR EVERY WAVE!!!!"
"HONK IF YOU LOVE ROBOTS!!"
(We got 9 waves, 4 honks, and a peace sign.)

Random person: I can't see!!
Everyone:*looks at light for no real reason*
Driver:*turns light on*
Everyone: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Rick TYler
04-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Student 1: Can I drill some speed holes?
Student 2: It depends, how fast can you drill?

Shiny1629
04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Me: Owwww!!!
Steph and Sarah: What?
Me: i didn't move, the chair bit me.-said very pitifully when i hurt my shoulder on the chair i was supposed to be sleeping on.

Sarah: i'm weirded out now.
Me: I was weirded out way back when their was a dead baby on the floor. -no actual dead baby.

Traut leaning backwards on a chair in Pittsburgh: uh-huh. yeah. ok. mmmmhmmm. sure. -five minutes of this
Traut suddenly sat up: WAIT WAIT WAIT! ALL OF WORLD WAR II!-now every time it gets really quiet someone will say that.

Qbranch
04-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Me, explaining on the whiteboard to the rest of the programming team how the ball feed system on the shooter works in conjunction with the sensors on the elevator and the software state machine:

Me, to a mentor: What do you mean? YOU GOT RID OF THE SENSORS TO SAVE WEIGHT?!

Michelle Celio
04-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Me::something about buttons::
My cousin:: OH! Did I tell you? Mr J. (the mentor) said when we get money we're gonna order 500 buttons!!
Me:: Yay!
Me:: Cool!!
Me::...wait I have to design them don't I?
My cousin:: YEP!
Me::...great. =[

vic burg
04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, there was one qoute that our student team leader said but i have a feeling if i post it, i may get flamed and harrased by him or other team members. So, I will post one that I have continuously said since last year. And I now love to say it. I've even heard a freshman say it, even though I don't think they know what tetras are....
"I always think outside the box and inside the <del>triangle</del>
tetra."

GAA!!! Okay, so does html not work on here? ^ Is supposed to look like triangle has a line through it.

Tammyanez
04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
How do I get rid of this freakin' kangaroo?
Lemme see.
whoa! its boxing a pumpkin!!!

(^about a screen saver on a new cellphone)

M-A-T
04-12-2006, 08:45 PM
well it was a a competition but close enough
Mentor( Mr B): OK we need 4 of yal to stay here till 8 again and fix the shooter and the chain they got beat up in that last match.Keeler, Tim mat, john come on.
Students: are you serious, what, it didn't look like a rough match
B: well it was come on we better get on that
Keeler:.... B, i was just down there what are u talking about.
B: OK fine it was lie

macgyver
04-12-2006, 09:20 PM
i can't fit my rod through this mess are you crazy!

Danielle H
04-13-2006, 09:08 AM
"Dude... I can fake better than that..."

Don't ask...

SirLancelot
04-13-2006, 11:39 AM
a mentor and I tend to have permanent marker fights. Around 2am on the final saturday of build he got me again and tried to deny it.
"Riiigght...It just came out of your pocket, into my hand, and went back into your pocket again..."
Another mentor nearly collapsed from laughing and it took me way too long to figure out why.

Others include:
"All your balls belong to us"
"We want you balls.."
etc.

vic burg
04-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Others include:
"All your balls belong to us"
"We want you balls.."
etc.

When we were at Palmetto Regional, we realized, me and some of the mentors, that it was actually possible for them (and I) to make jokes similar to those, and no one would get offended because we were really talking about the playing feild. :cool:

jacob07
04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I know this one has been said but its been yelled at me so many times that i have to repost it. Did you hit the reset button? (as the robot didnt do what we hoped it to do) :D

irishninja
04-13-2006, 11:43 PM
His stomach is in his head.

Aptorygiformes: dude (this was yon speaking but still i was amazed)

Our scouting crew heard this one.
Scout 1 - How fast can your bot go?
Member 1 - Mach 3
Member 2 - Tell them about the Flux capaciter.
Member 1 - Well yeah. With the flux capaciter we can go about mach 9.

windup zeppelin
04-14-2006, 01:20 AM
"snips snips, i need the snips"

Danielle H
04-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Yesterday:

"You don't have to find the center, you just have to throw it..."

This was Chrissy's theory about throwing a large styrofoam airplane. I'd like to also sbmit that when she threw it after saying this, it crash landed about a foot in front of her, right into the top of my computer.

Nuttyman54
04-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Said by a non-team member after we systematically rejected his 3 horrible hopper designs:
"Darnit, why do you guys keep thinking like engineers?"

Shiny1629
04-16-2006, 02:20 PM
said at a team fundraiser outside of walmart.

Me: i'm going over there. it's less confusing.
Steph: not anymore. you're there.