PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Team Wondering About Competition Procedures

jakey
02-28-2006, 11:27 AM
We are a rookie team and were wondering how the weight of the robot is taken while at the competition. Is there an actual weigh-in procedure and/or is there a scale that we are free to go weigh our robot on. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Ricky Q.
02-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Robot weights are taken on a scale at inspection. You are free to go over and use the scales if they aren't in use to check your weight before you begin the actual inspection procedure.

Elgin Clock
02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
We are a rookie team and were wondering how the weight of the robot is taken while at the competition. Is there an actual weigh-in procedure and/or is there a scale that we are free to go weigh our robot on. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

There is a inspection station that has among other things, a scale, and a sizing box. The official inspectors are there to help you along the process, and make sure you are safe, and comply to all the rules. You will need your robot's Bill of Materials as well. (Generated by you, accounting for all materials, and costs of the robot.)

Plan on doing this on Thursday as soon as you can.

If yuo don't pass weight/inspection by Friday morning, you may not be able to compete.

Get it done as soon as you can. (I know I repeated that, but it's important.)

Dave Flowerday
02-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Additionally, if you're overweight at inspection time it's not a big deal - you're given the chance to go back and remove weight and to get re-inspected. It's not a 1-time shot or anything like that. The only requirement is that you pass all of the inspection items before you are allowed to compete.

Make sure you download the inspection checklist from usfirst.org and run through it yourselves before you are officially inspected - it's what the inspectors will use and if you've checked it already there should be fewer suprises.

BRosser314
02-28-2006, 02:40 PM
When using scale or the sizing box just for brownie points wait until it is not in use or ask the head person in charge if there is anytime that we can weigh our robot to check your weight or size.

If you are underweight aand are in final configuration, they might ask you if you wuld like to be inspected right then, which can be a bonus because you can get it done as quick as possible. Just make sure you do it sometime far away from on of your matches.

A good time to do this might be when you get back from a practice mathc on thursday. That is if your robot didnt break or anything. :)

RoboMom
02-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Anne Bergeron did some great white papers last year.

Inspection tips:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=&action=single&paperid=433

What to expect at competition:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=&action=single&paperid=394

The Lucas
02-28-2006, 04:26 PM
When using scale or the sizing box just for brownie points wait until it is not in use or ask the head person in charge if there is anytime that we can weigh our robot to check your weight or size.

Another way to earn brownie points (or simply avoid incurring the inspector's wraith :D ) is to avoid stepping on or kicking the scale. Inspectors don't like to recalibrate the scale a hundred times a day :ahh:

Steve S.
02-28-2006, 04:44 PM
if you have a scale or can obtain one, it may be better to bring your own, its less of a headache

EricH
02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
if you have a scale or can obtain one, it may be better to bring your own, its less of a headacheDon't try to pass inspection with it. You will use the official scale for that, unless you have very forgiving inspectors. Team scales could be messed up somehow, making them not the most desirable in the world. If you have a small scale, bring it for parts (get an estimate of what you need to remove to put that part in), but I wouldn't try a scale big enough for a robot.

Steve S.
02-28-2006, 05:58 PM
we have one we bought last year for this purpose and it only costs $100 and it works great, we use it to weigh our robot and parts (i think it depends on the kind of scale, dont be cheap)

EricH
02-28-2006, 06:04 PM
we have one we bought last year for this purpose and it only costs $100 and it works great, we use it to weigh our robot and parts (i think it depends on the kind of scale, dont be cheap)
In your build site, great. At competition--if I were an inspector (I'm not), I'd say, "yes your scale says you are under, but bring it over to the official one". Either that or I'd make you calibrate yours.

Al Skierkiewicz
02-28-2006, 08:07 PM
You are welcome and encouraged to check weight at the official scales at each competition. Most inspectors are willing to check for you (although I hear the lead inspector in Chicago and Milwaukee is a real tough guy) and the inspector's scale is the only one that really counts. Teams often come up and weigh parts, assemblies and even wire to see if it will make the cirtical difference between overweight and pass. Please remember that bumpers are not considered part of the robot weight or size but must not exceed 15 lbs in total. Please review R35 if you plan on using bumpers.
Inspectors are your friends and are there to make sure you are safe and legal to compete. They want you to be able to compete without breakdowns, damage to other robots or flames.

the_short1
03-01-2006, 08:59 AM
I know it was mentioned that you go into a sizing box, but be warned if your frame is (just) max dimensions, BOLT HEADS (etc) outside of max d is not allowd. They pass a flat stick down one side of box and will not pass inspection if it gets caugh up on anything. Also last year our lexan overhanged our chasis half a cm, and the inspector made us fix it... not all are that picky, but they can be.

Andy Baker
03-01-2006, 09:18 AM
I know it was mentioned that you go into a sizing box, but be warned if your frame is (just) max dimensions, BOLT HEADS (etc) outside of max d is not allowd. They pass a flat stick down one side of box and will not pass inspection if it gets caugh up on anything. Also last year our lexan overhanged our chasis half a cm, and the inspector made us fix it... not all are that picky, but they can be.

Good points. Adding to this, the robot should not be pushing on the walls of the sizing box. Incidental touching is ok in my book, but if the robot is pushing on the wall and there needs to be some forceful effort to get the robot in the box, then something is wrong.

Ideally, the robot should not touch the sides of the sizing box.

Andy B.

Al Skierkiewicz
03-01-2006, 09:21 AM
There is no leeway on sizing, it either fits in the box or it doesn't, sorry.

Don Wright
03-01-2006, 09:25 AM
On last thing to remember is that any fixes and modifications that you do after you pass inspection must not put you over the weight limit. They usually re-weigh the robots prior to the elimination rounds to make sure your robot didn't eat too much lunch and is a few L-B's over...

Good luck and you are in for the time of your life. I am still in awe everytime I go to my first regional of the season. You are going to have a blast!

Al Skierkiewicz
03-01-2006, 09:27 AM
They usually re-weigh the robots prior to the elimination rounds
Should read "They will reweigh and resize..."

Don Wright
03-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Should read "They will reweigh and resize..."
Yeah...thanks for the clarification...