PDA

View Full Version : What's the Deal?

MBiddy
05-23-2002, 06:28 PM
What's the huge deal about the Segway? I don't think it revolutionary. The wheelchair was revolutionary with all its gyroscopes and stair climbing ability, but this? It's a scooter! Sure it's cool, but after all that hype this is all we get? This is what is going to make Kamen the richest man in the world? Normal people can't buy them, unless they are rich. $3000! This is only a help to warehouses and the disabled.

Walk for goodness sakes. Burn the fat off the most obese country in the world.

When are the Spider Tanks going to be developed? At least have a spider-walker!

The Lord of the Rings had tons of hype and it can out an underacheivement too!

Rob Colatutto
05-23-2002, 08:47 PM
you need to learn a lesson, you do not talk bad about the segway!!! ever, and mainly not in the robotics forum

Melancholy
05-24-2002, 08:50 AM
it's all right for everyone to have their own opinions. i exactly don't like the idea of replacing walking and having a vehicle where you dont even have to move to get around. people in this country really do need more exercise. i perfer my rollerblades to driving a car any time. but, a lot of people on my team and especially people in my physics class have been in love with the segway since it was first made public. most of us simply appreciate the fact that Dean Kamen is an absolute genius. i'm just stunned by the creativity of the design of it. also, it does move quite amazingly, and it's a lot of fun. come on, give segways a chance.

purplehaze357
05-24-2002, 08:58 AM
well the segway is revolutionary and it isnt just a scooter soo ill dismiss that whole thing...i mean sure it is going to make Dean rich again but does that tell u something....mayb that yeah it is revolutionary and yeah its going to help things move faster..the segway, actually, was never intended for public consumption until Dean found that it was such a huge hit...but u have to do a little reading if u think its not revolutionary and its a scooter... :)

Rob Colatutto
05-24-2002, 09:53 AM
i agree that it can't completely replace walking, but you have to look at the invention, it is pure genious. i don't think i have ever seen something else as amazing as the segway

Melancholy
05-24-2002, 10:56 AM
i would have liked it more if Dean made all of his money helping people who truly need it: a wheelchair that can go up stairs and inventions that will save a person who had a heart attack...

Alfred Thompson
05-24-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Melancholy
i would have liked it more if Dean made all of his money helping people who truly need it: a wheelchair that can go up stairs and inventions that will save a person who had a heart attack...

Most of Dean's projects have saved lives. Insulin pumps, heart stents, dialisis machines, and several others. The wheel chair is amazing and may help a great many people.

The Segway is really an outgrowth of the wheelchair project. The code name for the Segway was Ginger. The code name for the wheelchair was Fred. To those of us who remember Fred Astaire and his dancing partner Ginger Rogers it is pretty obvious that the two projects go hand in hand.

He's had some other nice inventions, some related to helocopters for example. You can't expect and inventor to stop thinking just because an idea might make money and not be medically related.

MBiddy
05-24-2002, 01:44 PM
The wheelchair was more amazing than the Segway.

Alfred Thompson
05-24-2002, 01:47 PM
I would agree that the wheelchair is much more amazing than the Segway. But the Segway has way more applicability. Who knows what will develop once both have been out long enough for people to get new ideas from them.

Rob Colatutto
05-24-2002, 02:09 PM
i know, it is pretty amazing how the wheel chair can go up stairs, but you still have to look at all the very practacal uses of the segway, if you read the website www.segway.com all thier uses they tell make a lot of sense, and i think it would be great for going around college which i what i am going to get one for next summer

Joe Matt
06-10-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by purplehaze357
well the segway is revolutionary and it isnt just a scooter soo ill dismiss that whole thing...i mean sure it is going to make Dean rich again but does that tell u something....mayb that yeah it is revolutionary and yeah its going to help things move faster..the segway, actually, was never intended for public consumption until Dean found that it was such a huge hit...but u have to do a little reading if u think its not revolutionary and its a scooter... :)

You have to ride it to understand it. If you just look at it, it seems like a regular scooter, but when you ride it, it is magical. You literally zip off and do things impossible with rollerblades, bicycles, and other modes of transportation. The Segway will be bigger in industry, the government, and medical purposes than a consumer product.

Amy Beth
06-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Alfred Thompson
You can't expect and inventor to stop thinking just because an idea might make money and not be medically related.

hear hear. That quote alone'll be worth money someday.

Wetzel
07-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by JosephM

You have to ride it to understand it. If you just look at it, it seems like a regular scooter, but when you ride it, it is magical. You literally zip off and do things impossible with rollerblades, bicycles, and other modes of transportation. The Segway will be bigger in industry, the government, and medical purposes than a consumer product.

I take it you have never been stuck in a wheelchair. Being able to use stairs, and reach things up high is magical when you can't do these things normaly.

Challege: Spend a day or two in a wheelchair if you can. Better yet, goto the grocery store and try to do all your shopping from a wheelchair.

Wetzel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Use someone else's eyes.
Wash them before returning them.

Steve Prairie
07-02-2002, 10:49 AM
#1) Segway will be retrofited w/ a stirling engine (http://www.sunspot.net/news/nationworld/bal-te.engine30jun30.story?coll=bal%2Dnationworld%2Dhe adlines): This improvement would enhance the running time of the Segway while conserving fossil fuels. And seeing how it can be used much longer, it may become more practicle in cities --> less smog in cities.

#2) Vanity Fair Article:There are many observers that think that if Kamen's people have actually cracked the code, their Stirling engine could wind up being far more revolutionary than their electric superscooter. Kamen doesn't disagree, but he sees the projects as two parts of a single, unified master plan. The plan, it turns out, has yet another element-one whose details he remains a bit guarded about. In tandem with the Stirling project, Kamen's team is developing a small water-purification system that would use the engines waste heat to zap contaminated H2O and render it drinkable. According to Kamen, equipping the Segway with a Stirling engine would in effect turn it into a "portable, personal-sized electric power plant - you ride around on it all day, then take it home and plug your house into it." Adding the water purifier would turn the machine additionally into a "rolling waterworks-you connect it to your well and it gives you potable waterRecap: Revolutionary power...water purifier...zero degree turning radius...balances....and of course, it's one of Dean's inventions.

I'd buy one for 3k... but I may wait for the next model.

-Steve

Alfred Thompson
07-03-2002, 04:00 PM
Anyone who can make the Stirling engine work practically and efficiently will be rich beyond Bill Gates. And the world will really change.

Adam Y.
07-03-2002, 04:20 PM
Anyone who can make the Stirling engine work practically and efficiently will be rich beyond Bill Gates. And the world will really change
I'd doubt that this form of engine would be perfected before some other one is. I'd say that we'd probably be using hydrogen fuel cells before this. It's just as efficent and could be very safe.:) Dam opec if there is another oil embargo we'll be overun with the economic cars we have all ready and it will create a demand for it.

team222badbrad
07-07-2002, 08:05 PM
Since when was the last time you saw a bike balancing all by itself on 2 wheels???? (It wont happen thats probably why they invented the Kickstand) LOL
And if your wondering some Segways do have kickstands, but are only in use when they are turned off.

sanddrag
07-07-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by team222badbrad
Since when was the last time you saw a bike balancing all by itself on 2 wheels????

Actually it was about a year ago at the California Science Center in LA. The bike rode on a steel cable and had a heavy weight hang beneath it. Of course that bike couldn't really go anywhere except in a straight line. It balanced by itself and with me on it.

Alfred Thompson
07-07-2002, 11:33 PM
Bicycles are for little kids. Unicycles are for when one outgrows bicycles. j/k

BTW I did not see any bicycles at Dean's house but there were a couple of unicycles in the garage. Looked like the same model I ride.

Wetzel
07-08-2002, 01:15 PM
Don't know about the rest of you, but I have graduated to four wheels.
Only time it came close to tipping was when I out it on two wheels in a large empty parking lot, but that was intentional.
:)

Wetzel
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The wheels on the bus go round and round..

Adam Y.
07-08-2002, 09:00 PM
hmmm i just realized something a bicycle its alfully hard to fall down on when your going fast thats because if im correct of the gyroscoptic forces caused by the wheels stop the bike and youll fall down fast but the segway has gryoscopes in it all the time so it doesn't fall down like a bicycle

MBiddy
07-08-2002, 09:25 PM
Exactly. When was the last time you saw the Segway stand up by itself when its gyroscopes were turned off?

Tom Fairchild
07-10-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by sanddrag

Actually it was about a year ago at the California Science Center in LA. The bike rode on a steel cable and had a heavy weight hang beneath it. Of course that bike couldn't really go anywhere except in a straight line. It balanced by itself and with me on it.

Many people road a similar version of this at the Philly team party, FYI.

~Tom Fairchild~

Ashley Weed
07-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by MBiddy

Walk for goodness sakes. Burn the fat off the most obese country in the world.

Thought I would share that in the article I read today, Dean had a remark to this comment. He said that when you give a kid a calculator it doesn't make the kid dumber.