PDA

View Full Version : Excel Help for Scouting Database

Faith
03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure where this should go, so I'll try here...

I am trying to make an excel spreadsheet where I input the scouting data on a sheet and then I can type in a team number on another sheet and pull the information from the sheet with the data. Only problem is, I don't know how to pull information from different sheets. :ahh:

If I just confused you, sorry, I'm having trouble putting this into words...
Thanks in advance! :)

SteveGPage
03-07-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure where this should go, so I'll try here...

I am trying to make an excel spreadsheet where I input the scouting data on a sheet and then I can type in a team number on another sheet and pull the information from the sheet with the data. Only problem is, I don't know how to pull information from different sheets. :ahh:

If I just confused you, sorry, I'm having trouble putting this into words...
Thanks in advance! :)

I think I understand the question. The feature you want to use is under "Data" on your tool bar, then select "Validation." Pick under the validation criteria "list" and it will give you a dialogue box to pick where you want that list of data to come from - you can select from a different worksheet. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Steve

DjAlamose
03-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I donít think what is need is to see if the data is true or not, I think what is wanted is to sort the data by team on another sheet.

If this is the case then you can use filter commands. Go to data, then filter, then advanced filter. You can type in what team you want to show and it will filter out all of the unnecessary data. You should be able to preset up a sheet with the teams going to the regional and have the filters update automatically. If not then you will have to do it after the data is collected. But, you could always just sort by a certain value such as shots made into the goal in the data entry sheet. I hope this helps.

Faith
03-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Let's see if I can be specific... I have a "data" sheet, where I input the data by team number. Then I have an "interface" sheet, where I want to be able to type in a team number and have the data on that team from the "data" sheet appear.

Does that make more sense?

Thankyou, I'll try everything suggested right now :)

Faith
03-07-2006, 01:59 PM
I donít think what is need is to see if the data is true or not, I think what is wanted is to sort the data by team on another sheet.

If this is the case then you can use filter commands. Go to data, then filter, then advanced filter. You can type in what team you want to show and it will filter out all of the unnecessary data. You should be able to preset up a sheet with the teams going to the regional and have the filters update automatically. If not then you will have to do it after the data is collected. But, you could always just sort by a certain value such as shots made into the goal in the data entry sheet. I hope this helps.

For that it says column labels are needed. I think I know how to do those, but... I have never done that before in Excel. Could you verify how?

DjAlamose
03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Eureka Iíve got it!

All you have to do is select the entire area you want to sort. Then you go to Data/Filter/Auto Filter. This will insert a new column with drop boxes where you can select from teams, sort ascending /descending, or some other functions. It will sort all of your data and find it for you, itís just that simple. If u have any more questions please ask.

Faith
03-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Eureka Iíve got it!

All you have to do is select the entire area you want to sort. Then you go to Data/Filter/Auto Filter. This will insert a new column with drop boxes where you can select from teams, sort ascending /descending, or some other functions. It will sort all of your data and find it for you, itís just that simple. If u have any more questions please ask.

That is awesome! It isn't what I meant, but it works even better! Thankyou very much :D

Joe Ross
03-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Let's see if I can be specific... I have a "data" sheet, where I input the data by team number. Then I have an "interface" sheet, where I want to be able to type in a team number and have the data on that team from the "data" sheet appear.

Here is one example on how to do that: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=&action=single&paperid=487 Karthik used the OFFSET and MATCH functions.

Autofilter works great as long as you only displaying the data. I haven't figured out how to do calculations on the just the autofiltered data, though.

Faith
03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Here is one example on how to do that: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=&action=single&paperid=487 Karthik used the OFFSET and MATCH functions.

Autofilter works great as long as you only displaying the data. I haven't figured out how to do calculations on the just the autofiltered data, though.

Thankyou :).

I'll look into that. It would convenient to have two ways to view the data, alone and in comparison.

Faith
03-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Thankyou very much for helping me! I now have a spreadsheet where you can input data and then pull it up for a specific team by typing in the team number (using offset and match commands) :). I also have it so that you can compare the teams by there attributes (using autofilter). I'm going to work on it a little more, and then I think I'll post it here.

Again, THANKYOU!!! :D

Faith
03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I just realized another thing that would be awesome.. Does anyone know how to pull a picture from one sheet to another? I'm not sure if this is possible, but...

Thankyou!