PDA

View Full Version : Another post that will get 105 replies and 900+ Views... What is success???

Robby O
08-01-2001, 09:47 PM
Let's start simple: What in your opinion is success?

For me, I need some time to format what I want to say, as it is quite lengthy and has to come out right. But let's hear your opinions right now. What do you think, FIRSTamerica???

Tom Schindler
08-01-2001, 09:56 PM
gosh this sounds like englsih class :)

A. Leese
08-01-2001, 10:15 PM
...achieving what goals you set for yourself..but also being happy with yourself that you have met those goals. I'm not saying have a goal of perfection and you won't be successful if you never achieve that goal..if you set an achievable (sp?) goal and you make that goal, that is success. It's also finding something you enjoy doing and getting paid for it (in the work world, I mean). Success also involves changing the world, if it's only your small part of the world, by living your life. If any of that just made any sense, I will be much surprised...lol. But there you go..your first definition (I think) of success..

~Angela

Jessica Boucher
08-02-2001, 05:42 AM
(EOM)

EddieMcD
08-02-2001, 12:37 PM
Success (n)-1 obsolete : OUTCOME, RESULT

2 a : degree or measure of succeeding

b : favorable or desired outcome; also : the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence

3 : one that succeeds

Carolyn Duncan
08-02-2001, 01:34 PM
Well, from a modified quote in the Maxine comic success is...
Taking the lemons someone handed you, stuffing them in your bra, and showing them off. Couldn't hurt, might help. Who drinks lemonaise anyway.
THat's just something funny I thought of when you asked the question. I'll think of a more serious answer and post it later.

mike o'leary
08-02-2001, 06:06 PM
success is starting a post that gets 105 replies and 900+ views

Robby O
08-03-2001, 07:41 PM
'Til the post was split, if I'm not mistaken. Anyways... I was just thinking that maybe I should have been more specific. When I started the post, I was curious about everyone elses Dreams of success. I mean, we've all been inspired by FIRST, so there's no doubt in my mind that we all (at least the members that truly participate in the community) have some incredible dreams and hopes we want to come true. And will make come true. I've finally got mine ready, so here goes:

Since I've been little, I've wanted to entertain people. Perform for audiences and such. Anyone who knew me on team 108 the 3 years I was on the team saw the crazy stuff I came up with to go and perform at nationals to get attention to our team. Of course, not everyone else on that team had the guts that I did to just go and perform in front of complete strangers. So now, outta high-school and In college, I'm finally realizing that what I want to do is perform. I feel like Im drowning when I am not able to perform and be completely creative. So although I will never leave FIRST behind, I am going to persue a career in Comedic Entertainment at Second City in Chicago. Basically, success to me will be the day I get to perform for people on an almost daily basis.

So there we go. How about yours? Perhaps this can be some kind of a time-thread that we can look back and see how our goals for success have come true or changed in a short while...

Carolyn Duncan
08-03-2001, 08:35 PM
Success, for me, is getting to Australia and being able to dive on the Great Barrier Reef, snorkel with the migrating Wenkhe whales, save some kind of hurt animal, and go home at night to my beach front shack. Then I get to get up the next day and do the same thing all over again. When I need a change I'll go on a walk about. And of course I'll have horses, and some really great cars. Once I get myself established I'll get FIRST introduced and start teams that'll come over here to compete.
Then I'll look for RobbyO to be at nats, maybe performing a comic routine...

A. Leese
08-03-2001, 08:47 PM
I guess since I sort of didn't write what Robby was looking for us to post, I may as well post again. I found a short essay thing I had to last year in English about my goals and I shortened it..here goes:

When I was in elementary school and in middle school until eighth grade, I wanted to be an artist. I was always drawing or painting or sculpting something. Then I figured out that I had no talent whatsoever. So, in eighth grade, I switched my goal of being an artist to being a writer. I was fairly good with words and journalism seemed exciting to me. Halfway through a semester of journalism class soph year, I figured out journalism wasn't quite what I thought it would be. Deadlines were very few and far between and I never got to write a story I wanted to (sure, I was just a staffer..but it was insane what they didn't let me do). I had started to volunteer in the ER at my local hospital the summer between ninth and tenth grade and was really getting to like it. I still love working there and, as I found out by being in that setting for four hours a week for a year now, I really love the medical field. So, as of now, I want to persue a career in medicine, most likely doing the whole Physician's Assistant thing. I think I die before getting all the way through medical school.

~Angela who would like to appologize for such a long post